Trending Topics

Next match: Arsenal v LFC [Friendly] Thu 1st Aug @ 12:30 am
      Lincoln Financial Field

Today is the 27th of July and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W3 D4 L3

Trent Alexander-Arnold Player Thread (D)

Read 226512 times
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,638 posts | 772 
      Re: Trent Alexander-Arnold Player Thread (D)
      Reply #1679: Jan 14, 2024 01:57:12 am
      Kyle Walker and Kieran Tripper both got exposed defensively in that game today.

Do you think pundits mentioned it? Nope. Not part of the narrative.

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,939 posts | 6851 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1680: Jan 14, 2024 02:34:59 am

surprise, surfuckingsuprise!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,735 posts | 8767 
      Reply #1681: Jan 14, 2024 01:50:22 pm

I think Bradley has shown he can fill in there 👍
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,766 posts | 865 
      Reply #1682: Jan 14, 2024 02:27:04 pm

For me, the bullshit around TAA reached incredible levels ever since he has been playing this hybrid role. You have a group of people who are genuinely convinced he's bad defensively and another group who is just of bad faith (mainly wankers supporting other clubs).

The thing these two groups have in common is that they genuinely believe the lad is supposed to go into midfield, be at the very edge of the box, sometimes in the box, and once we lose the ball, somehow, magically appear next to the opposition's winger who was already near the halfway line when we got dispossessed. They basically want him to do something no player could do even if they were allowed to ride a petrol scooter during the game.

Essentially, we could play TAA in the striker position, and you'd still have people saying the opposition's left winger ''exposed him defensively today''.

All of this doesn't mean the lad is defensively flawless, but some people really need to actually watch the games and understand what they are looking at rather than spew nonsense.

Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,281 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #1683: Jan 30, 2024 02:29:40 pm
      What do you think fellas, are we going to see TAA start tomorrow?
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,378 posts | 1680 
      Reply #1684: Jan 30, 2024 03:51:53 pm

Possibly hasn't been out for long so no reason why he can't but Bradley's form might just hold him back for Arsenal
      The-AllMightyReds
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,582 posts | 297 
      • In Klopp I trust
      Reply #1685: Jan 30, 2024 04:10:01 pm

I'd expect so but would prefer Bradley to keep his spot based on merit.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,078 posts | 549 
      Reply #1686: Jan 30, 2024 06:43:46 pm
      I'd start Bradley but the fact he played the whole game against Norwich suggests Trent will start.

(Plus got to keep Trent sweet til he signs his new contract )
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,735 posts | 8767 
      Reply #1687: Jan 31, 2024 02:20:36 pm
      I'd start Bradley but the fact he played the whole game against Norwich suggests Trent will start.

(Plus got to keep Trent sweet til he signs his new contract )

I'd start Robbo and Gomez.

Trent can move straight into midfield. Don't have to worry about right back role when we've got players who can play there and defend.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,078 posts | 549 
      Reply #1688: Feb 02, 2024 06:33:04 pm
      Interesting choice for Jürgen whether to start Trent or Bradley against the Arse.

I wanted him to start Brad v Chelsea and, after playing so well then, would be natural to keep him in. But I think Bradley is gonna make Trent a better defender. My reading of Trent is that his sometimes sketchy defending is mainly down to complacency. I think he can defend alright if he actually puts his mind to it. So, with Bradley throwing down the gauntlet, I'd be tempted to start Trent to see his response.

Then I remember how Conor dealt with Martinelli last time and can't make my mind up. Very nice problem for Jürgen though. I do think we will see a step up in Trent's defending over the rest of the season though. Been saying for ages he needs more competition for his place, now he's got it. Looking forward to seeing him and Conor fighting for that spot.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,629 posts | 5034 
      Reply #1689: Feb 02, 2024 06:48:44 pm
      Interesting choice for Jürgen whether to start Trent or Bradley against the Arse.

I wanted him to start Brad v Chelsea and, after playing so well then, would be natural to keep him in. But I think Bradley is gonna make Trent a better defender. My reading of Trent is that his sometimes sketchy defending is mainly down to complacency. I think he can defend alright if he actually puts his mind to it. So, with Bradley throwing down the gauntlet, I'd be tempted to start Trent to see his response.

Then I remember how Conor dealt with Martinelli last time and can't make my mind up. Very nice problem for Jürgen though. I do think we will see a step up in Trent's defending over the rest of the season though. Been saying for ages he needs more competition for his place, now he's got it. Looking forward to seeing him and Conor fighting for that spot.

I think due to Bradley's form he keeps his place at least for now.

Means we have another weapon in Trent off the bench for this game.

Don77

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #1690: Feb 02, 2024 07:06:15 pm
      I think due to Bradley's form he keeps his place at least for now.

Means we have another weapon in Trent off the bench for this game.

I'm torn. Don't want to push Bradley too much too soon. It's a nice problem to have though isn't it 🙂
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,078 posts | 549 
      Reply #1691: Feb 02, 2024 10:05:55 pm
      I'm torn. Don't want to push Bradley too much too soon. It's a nice problem to have though isn't it 🙂

Yeah I'd be a bit wary of piling too much expectations on him. It's a tricky one. But ultimately Jürgen knows both of them better than us and he is the best man manager in the game, so whichever one starts it'll probably be the right call.

We have great options in every position now.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,601 posts | 857 
      Reply #1692: Feb 02, 2024 11:44:23 pm
      As great as Bradley has been, and I've MOTM'd him for the last 3 games...we're talking about him taking the place of one of the World's best footballers....let that sink in...one of the World's best footballers. That it's even a question shows how good the lad has/is doing...but Trent, if fully fit, has to take priority...he walks into any team on merit.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,360 posts | 777 
      Reply #1693: Feb 03, 2024 11:57:30 am
      As great as Bradley has been, and I've MOTM'd him for the last 3 games...we're talking about him taking the place of one of the World's best footballers....let that sink in...one of the World's best footballers. That it's even a question shows how good the lad has/is doing...but Trent, if fully fit, has to take priority...he walks into any team on merit.

Also enjoyed young Bradley's performances, plus that cracking goal against the chavs. At the same time you cannot leave a player like Trent out of the side. Quite a dilemma despite the number of injuries in the squad.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,735 posts | 8767 
      Reply #1694: Feb 03, 2024 01:16:21 pm

One of the world's best footballers when he doesn't have to defend!!

Give Bradley a break, play big Joe right back and Robbo left back.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,939 posts | 6851 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1695: Feb 04, 2024 08:39:45 pm
      Was absolutely horrible tonight.

Jürgen was right to drag him.

Martenelli was running by him as if he wasn't even there and Trent didn't look concerned about it one bit.

I would have clotheslined that c**t if I was Trent!
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,992 posts | 461 
      Reply #1696: Feb 04, 2024 08:52:07 pm
      Was good before his injury. Might take time to get back up to speed. Arsenal away is a tough game. Any weaknesses will show up.

The next 4 games we can get back on track.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,345 posts | 1133 
      Reply #1697: Feb 05, 2024 03:17:23 am
      My 10 year old today said something that kind of hit me. He said after Trent let Martenelli run by him and he jogged back, allowing someone else to clean up his mess "you would think he would try and shut everyone up about Bradley. He seems to think he's owed his spot". Wild moment for me. My boys getting older and I guess he isn't as dumb as he looks.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,646 posts | 3515 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #1698: Feb 05, 2024 05:40:23 am
      Was absolutely horrible tonight.

Jürgen was right to drag him.

Martenelli was running by him as if he wasn't even there and Trent didn't look concerned about it one bit.

I would have clotheslined that c**t if I was Trent!

Klopp said he wasnt able to play 90 minutes
      Don77

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #1699: Feb 05, 2024 07:34:08 am
      Never want to see him at right back again. He's not upto it. And he's not going to get any better. Jürgen can say all day he couldn't play 90 minutes ... couldn't care less. Not being able to play 90 minutes doesn't excuse not even half hearted defending, jogging back leisurely expecting someone else to sort it. He was a disgrace yesterday.

There is a visible drop off in interest when he has to defend compared to when we attack. I don't know if Bradley will make it here long term. But we missed him yesterday. We missed his attacking obviously. But we also missed his defending, his positional play, his tenacity when faced with a challenge. No way martinelli would have had it so easy yesterday against Connor.

Just not acceptable and I've had enough. He's not first choice right back ... he's 3rd choice behind Bradley and Gomez. Play him in midfield, let him show the abilities he has, because he does have them. But he's an absolute liability at right back and everyone knows it.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,244 posts | 4422 
      Reply #1700: Feb 05, 2024 08:07:09 am
      Can’t see the new manager next season playing him at RB, no one is going to play a player who thinks defending is below him.
      Will be interesting where he ends up in midfield.
      rossyred

• 9,378 posts | 1680 
      Reply #1701: Feb 05, 2024 08:13:11 am
      Never want to see him at right back again. He's not upto it. And he's not going to get any better. Jürgen can say all day he couldn't play 90 minutes ... couldn't care less. Not being able to play 90 minutes doesn't excuse not even half hearted defending, jogging back leisurely expecting someone else to sort it. He was a disgrace yesterday.

There is a visible drop off in interest when he has to defend compared to when we attack. I don't know if Bradley will make it here long term. But we missed him yesterday. We missed his attacking obviously. But we also missed his defending, his positional play, his tenacity when faced with a challenge. No way martinelli would have had it so easy yesterday against Connor.

Just not acceptable and I've had enough. He's not first choice right back ... he's 3rd choice behind Bradley and Gomez. Play him in midfield, let him show the abilities he has, because he does have them. But he's an absolute liability at right back and everyone knows it.

Can't argue with that it's not his defending abilities although there are flaws,it's more about the lack of effort and just seems to expect Ibou to mop up for him .

Quick Reply