Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Trent Alexander-Arnold Player Thread (D)

Read 203222 times
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Re: Trent Alexander-Arnold Player Thread
      Reply #966: Aug 29, 2021 07:22:15 pm
      See Lineker quoted as saying:
      "Said it many times, but the best passer in English football is Trent Alexander-Arnold He should be playing, like he did as a kid, in midfield.
      "Lahm switched, Kimmich too. The best players should be in a position where they can more frequently use their brilliance."

Some of his passing has been excellent already this season, the kid is just a top top quality footballer.

Not sure it's something Jürgen would do, given the FBs at LFC already get so much time on the ball, a lot of it going forward, so can effect the game more than FBs in other teams.

But he is so good, wouldn't write it off.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #967: Aug 30, 2021 11:56:49 am
      See Lineker quoted as saying:
      "Said it many times, but the best passer in English football is Trent Alexander-Arnold He should be playing, like he did as a kid, in midfield.
      "Lahm switched, Kimmich too. The best players should be in a position where they can more frequently use their brilliance."

Some of his passing has been excellent already this season, the kid is just a top top quality footballer.

Not sure it's something Jürgen would do, given the FBs at LFC already get so much time on the ball, a lot of it going forward, so can effect the game more than FBs in other teams.

But he is so good, wouldn't write it off.

The game has changed massively since Lineker's day. Put Trent in midfield and you lose half of his crosses. He's actually been popping up in more central areas in games this season, i've noticed it a few times and this article picks up on it below. I think this way you get the best of both worlds.

https://www.liverpool.com/liverpool-fc-news/features/trent-alexander-arnold-liverpool-evolution-21430773

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #968: Aug 30, 2021 03:47:51 pm
      The game has changed massively since Lineker's day. Put Trent in midfield and you lose half of his crosses. He's actually been popping up in more central areas in games this season, i've noticed it a few times and this article picks up on it below. I think this way you get the best of both worlds.

https://www.liverpool.com/liverpool-fc-news/features/trent-alexander-arnold-liverpool-evolution-21430773

Yep.

He doesn't play like a traditional full back anyway and I see no real reason to move him, especially when he's so effective already.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,508 posts | 1476 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #969: Aug 30, 2021 04:37:51 pm
      Tell you one thing, the lad has filled out a bit, even compared to the end of last season it’s clear to see he’s been working in the gym this summer… look at the lad!

sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,014 posts | 523 
      Reply #970: Aug 30, 2021 04:49:11 pm
      He actually played more like a midfielder against Chelsea - kept coming inside and trying to play through the middle. I thought it was a bit of a problem for us in the 2nd half, where we needed him to overlap Mo and turn their defenders by getting to the byline. Be interesting to know if that was him following his own inclinations or Jürgen's instructions.

He definitely would be a good midfielder, but we've already got enough of them, while he is our only outstanding RB, so I'm sure Jürgen will keep him there for the time being. Might need to remind him sometimes that he's still a RB and is there to give us width, especially when we are playing against a low block.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #971: Aug 30, 2021 05:06:30 pm
      Tell you one thing, the lad has filled out a bit, even compared to the end of last season it’s clear to see he’s been working in the gym this summer… look at the lad!

Unit.

rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,283 posts | 1664 
      Reply #972: Sep 05, 2021 11:56:17 am
      Rumour playing in a more advanced role tonight for England
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,753 posts | 861 
      Reply #973: Sep 05, 2021 03:18:21 pm
      Rumour playing in a more advanced role tonight for England
      Yup, I'm very interested in seeing how he does. I'll be watching. I think TAA moving up to the midfield is something that could very well happen. The lad is just too good on the ball. Exquisite passing skills, vision, can cross pretty accurately even from more central positions, packs a good shot in his right foot (can go with power but can also curl one in). Obviously he would need to work on some other things to become a good midfielder like retaining the ball in high pressure situations in midfield.

I think its an option worth exploring. If he can make that switch in the coming years it would give us a very good option in midfield because we would gain a very creative midfielder who also would be dangerous around the opposition's box and also can carry the ball from one box to another all while being pretty decent defensively. Obviously this would create a problem at RB for us but we can fix that through the transfer market more easily than we could find a midfielder of the quality he would be if he successfully makes this hypothetical transition into midfield.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,508 posts | 1476 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #974: Sep 05, 2021 04:30:58 pm
      It was a no watch for me, but with Trent in midfield I guess I'll have to tune in now and have a look.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #975: Sep 05, 2021 06:59:15 pm
      Didn't bother watching England but saw he had all the flag shaggers fuming on twitter because he didn't sing the Anthem 😂

Is right Trent lad!
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,753 posts | 861 
      Reply #976: Sep 05, 2021 08:29:25 pm
      Was not able to watch the game. Anybody watched and could tell us how he did in midfield?
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,508 posts | 1476 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #977: Sep 05, 2021 10:06:56 pm
      Was not able to watch the game. Anybody watched and could tell us how he did in midfield?
      Non existent first half in midfield and was moved back to RB for the second half.
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #978: Sep 05, 2021 10:34:34 pm
      Didn't bother watching England but saw he had all the flag shaggers fuming on twitter because he didn't sing the Anthem 😂

Is right Trent lad!

I can't remember who said it, but there's a quote that goes, " I don't believe in God or the Queen, so I see no reason to stand when one is called on to save the other."
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,753 posts | 861 
      Reply #979: Sep 05, 2021 11:52:08 pm
      Non existent first half in midfield and was moved back to RB for the second half.
      Thank you. Sad, I had hoped for more.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #980: Sep 06, 2021 12:05:12 am
      Thank you. Sad, I had hoped for more.

Curious as to why?

Trent can achieve everything he wants in the game from RB.

I really don't understand the clamour to move him into midfield.
      « Last Edit: Sep 06, 2021 12:18:13 pm by srslfc »
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,753 posts | 861 
      Reply #981: Sep 06, 2021 04:37:28 am
      Curious as to why?

I really done understand the clamour to move him into midfield.
      You are right that he can, especially when we take into account that we have a pretty mobile front 5 in attack (Robbo, Mane, Bobby, Salah, and Trent) which means he can move into midfield positions. The mane goal against Burnley is a pretty good example of what a lot of people see in Trent.

Playing from a full-back position, like you said, does not limit him but most of the passes he will deliver from the flank wont be as direct as the ones he can deliver from the middle of the park. That's where a lot of the ''put him the middle'' idea springs from. He has the vision and passing ability to be a good creator from more direct positions and closer to the box. At the same time his crossing is so good he can still deliver those while still being in a central position. In short, the idea here is that he can be more creative from a midfield position considering his vision and passing skills but the truth is that I think playing CM is not easy and requires a different skill set and a different awareness of your surroundings. Can he do it? Yes but it would probably require a longer transition period than what I was thinking at first glance. Unless Klopp really wants him in midfield (which there is no indication of him wanting that) then he will stay at RB where he is the best in the world (I guess it is silly to want to move the best RB in the world from his natural position).

PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,081 posts | 630 
      Reply #982: Sep 06, 2021 11:58:14 am
      Curious as to why?

I really done understand the clamour to move him into midfield.

I don't get it either. Even more so when you look at it from the club's perspective. Yes, Trent could be a world class midfielder, but there are many world class midfielders with an eye for a pass. How many RB can provide 20 assists/season?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,044 posts | 2096 
      Reply #983: Dec 17, 2021 12:23:02 am
      A good time to remind everyone that Trent isn't first choice for England ie Gareth Southgate is a F***ing moron.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #984: Dec 17, 2021 01:56:45 am
      A good time to remind everyone that Trent isn't first choice for England ie Gareth Southgate is a f**king moron.

Argument to be made he's the best English player right now?

Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,160 posts | 1092 
      Reply #985: Dec 17, 2021 06:21:55 am
      Argument to be made he's the best English player right now?

I'm down with that
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,226 posts | 2805 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #986: Dec 17, 2021 07:53:07 am
      A good time to remind everyone that Trent isn't first choice for England ie Gareth Southgate is a f**king moron.

Keep leaving him out Gareth, good chap
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,972 posts | 3057 
      Reply #987: Dec 17, 2021 09:07:53 am
      I love this lad - outstanding finish......but how he's motm is beyond me.....He had 2 good moments in one of his poorer performances for me......the tackle and the goal.

I'd have him a 5 elevated to a 7 for those moments......and its testimony to his quality he has those in him.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #988: Dec 17, 2021 10:00:33 am
      Not sure you can hit a ball any sweeter than that. The sound as the ball hit the net was a thing to behold.

Quick Reply