Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Trent Alexander-Arnold Player Thread (D)

Read 196711 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Re: Trent Alexander-Arnold Player Thread
      Reply #46: Jan 15, 2017 08:09:29 pm
      Yet some of our fans choose to lay into an inexperienced 18 year old who was making his first start in a big BIG match. Given a lot of praise tonight by a lot out there including Alan Green and the 5 Live team.

No idea what some expect mate but I'll leave them to their ragging on a young scouse lad, who stepped in at short notice, in one of the biggest league games in our season.  Sure he had it tough but ffs so did Clyne up against Martial last season and he can't have been that bad as Martial got pulled for doing F**k all.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #47: Jan 15, 2017 08:12:20 pm
      Yet some of our fans choose to lay into an inexperienced 18 year old who was making his first start in a big BIG match. Given a lot of praise tonight by a lot out there including Alan Green and the 5 Live team.

Not laying into him but at this level we shouldn't be one crack in the ribs away from relying on a player of that level of experience the lack of investment in the squad since Klopp took over is harming us
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #48: Jan 15, 2017 08:19:46 pm
      Not laying into him but at this level we shouldn't be one crack in the ribs away from relying on a player of that level of experience the lack of investment in the squad since Klopp took over is harming us

That's a valid point.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #49: Jan 15, 2017 08:24:46 pm
      Showed real character after being given a bit of a run around, mind you plenty of seasoned players have had that done to them at OT.

He really composed himself in that second half and let no one down.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #50: Jan 15, 2017 08:25:09 pm
      It's dual-edge though lads because in years to come if he goes on to being absolute top class then who knows how much this experience will have gone to boosting that development. There's certainly a point to be made that Clyne or a higher quality deputy might have made a difference but I can also see how this will have done the young fella the world of good and in a way it's an investment for our future.

Certainly exactly what we should expect from JĂźrgen when he sees a talent he'll give them a chance and while I may no longer have the patience I used to I must admit I enjoy seeing young lads come through the ranks.

Thought he did well today the longer the game went on. He was aided by an excellent performance alongside him by Lovren who did have to eat a yellow for a bit of sloppy play from the lad and indeed he was beaten on occasion and a little outsmarted/muscled but you could see the nerves fading and when he began to settle I became more and more confident in him.

One thing I loved was how he covered in behind and got his lines right 90% of the time in terms of passing lanes, in a positional sense he is very good. Also great pace and we already know he has a tremendous delivery on him. Young lads can't buy this experience and most of them don't get the chance I'm hopefully the confidence shown in him will be repaid many times over.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,464 posts | 228 
      Reply #51: Jan 15, 2017 08:36:29 pm
      He did well enough that the first player substituted by Mourinho was Martial - who was supposed to give young TAA a field day.

Thats a big complement to Alexander-Arnold! I think he handled himself fine.
      Scouser4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 630 posts | 33 
      Reply #52: Jan 16, 2017 05:40:31 pm
      Checked this thread to make a complimentary comment on how the lad played today, and to my surprise I see a lot of comments about how shitty he is.

Definitely not the worst game I have seen from a LFC defender. Can count the number of clangers/ shockers Dejan or Klavan or even the Clyne we are all screaming about have had. James Milner had a shocker just last time out.

The lad improved in the 2nd half and I think he had a pretty decent game overall.

I remember a young Stevie G and the inconsistencies in his game when he started out, same for all the other lads, if you don't give them the opportunity to play these sort of games then when do we intend to see the talents.

we need to look at these games from a long term point of view and not swing like pendulums on every single error every player makes. The penalty Pogba gave out does not mean he didn't deserve to play against us, but still he had a shocker.

Lets try and encourage our players especially the ones who show there's room for improvement and are definitely talents, and I predict this lad will end up being a talent for us.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #53: Jan 16, 2017 06:42:05 pm
      Never realised his uncle was the club secretary at the Mancs... John Alexander.
       Fine well in the game in my opinion considering the pressure of such a fixture..

Kopite78
      Reply #54: Jan 16, 2017 06:56:41 pm
      Never realised his uncle was the club secretary at the Mancs... John Alexander.
       Fine well in the game in my opinion considering the pressure of such a fixture..

Not just that Shabs, hes not a natural defender, he's was only converted there in the last 18months, he's learnt the role as an opportunity to break into the first team, he played cm, wide midfield before that.. In that last 18 months he's played RB and at CB on a few occasions to learn the art of defending.. He's struggled at that level on occasions when teams have tried to get at him.. But he's improving, and whilst not maybe a natural defender, but he is a natural footballer and has one thing the modern game thrives on, pace..

So not only is he 18, not only making his debut at one of the toughest away days in the calendar, not only targeted as a weak link by Mourinho and given one of the quickest players in Utds line up to run at him

I thought he did very well given all that.. He got caught a couple of times but grew into it as the game went on

Nothing but praise for the lad
      « Last Edit: Jan 16, 2017 09:48:38 pm by Kopite78 »
      Shanks Red Pony
      • Forum Youth Player

• 22 posts | 16 
      Reply #55: Jan 16, 2017 09:13:57 pm

So not only is he 18, not only making his debut at one of the toughest away days in the calendar, not only targeted as a weak link by Mourinho and given one of the quickest players in Utds line up to run at him

I thought he did very well given all that.. He got caught a couple of times but grew into it as the game went on

Nothing but praise for the lad

Nail + Head.

Top post.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #56: Jan 17, 2017 03:18:03 am
      Congrats TAA, keep working hard boy.

:D
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #57: Jan 17, 2017 01:25:29 pm
      Was far from great Sunday but come on that's a huge ask for young lad like him to go there in hat environment and be top notch. Hes had a handful of senior games before this and none matched this intensity.

The great thing here was any mistakes made weren't followed up by him hiding. He kept going kept battling and in the end despite being targeted over and over by them he held out ok. That's hugely promising for his future
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #58: Jan 22, 2017 07:27:16 pm
      Would imagine Clyne was not 100% fit (maybe having painkilling injections?), but still started against bottom feeders on Sat. Whatever Klopp might say, or people might take from what he says, decisions like that say more that anything.
      Still, he can be good going forward, and as would expect Saints to do what Swansea did, might be an option to give him a run from the start during the week. Chance for him to put the Utd game behind him..
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #59: Jan 22, 2017 08:57:17 pm
      Great to hear this from one of our best ever right backs.

Liverpool favourite Rob Jones on Alexander-Arnold, inspiration at the Academy and that legendary debut.

Former Reds full-back on passing on his knowledge to young Reds star.

By James Pearce

16:49, 22 JAN 2017Updated17:50, 22 JAN 2017

Kop favourite Rob Jones believes Trent Alexander-Arnold’s attitude and willingness to learn has enabled the youngster to make a flying start to his Liverpool career.

The manner in which the 18-year-old from West Derby has performed for Jürgen Klopp’s side has been a source of great pride for Jones.

The popular right-back, who made 243 appearances for Liverpool between 1991 and 1998, has worked with the teenager at the Kirkby Academy and knows what a talent the Reds have on their hands.

“I think it’s important to remember that Trent only started playing at right-back just over a year ago,” Jones said.

“When he was in our under-16s side and broke into the under-18s he was a midfielder until Neil Critchley put him in at right-back.

“Trent is still learning the game but he has just been exceptional.  I worked with him on the training field just giving him a bit of advice and he is a pleasure to coach.

“He is a listener and when you talk to him and tell him what he has done right and done wrong, he will take everything on board, listen and then work as hard as he possibly can to improve on that.

“He’s a tough Scouser but wants to learn.  He wants to be a footballer and I think when you have got the attitude he has you are halfway there.”

Alexander-Arnold’s full Premier League debut at Old Trafford last weekend brought back memories of Jones’ senior bow for the Reds over a quarter of a century ago.

Like Jones, Alexander-Arnold passed the test with flying colours and he produced another impressive performance in the midweek FA Cup win at Plymouth.

“I still remember the date well. October 6, 1991 when Graeme Souness told me I would be marking Ryan Giggs on my Liverpool debut,” Jones told Liverpoolfc.com.

“Fortunately the day went quite well and we managed to keep a clean sheet and it gave me a platform to start my Liverpool career.

“For Trent, his Liverpool life is just beginning and he knows how much work lies ahead, but I have to say he has made a good start.

“I was delighted for Trent when Jürgen showed so much faith in him to give him a start against our arch-rivals and I thought he was exceptional.

“It’s a difficult game to make your first start in the Premier League anyway, but it’s that much harder at Old Trafford with the pressure and atmosphere that comes with it.  He played his normal game and did his job for the team.”

Jones is a mentor for defenders at the Kirkby Academy and is excited about the calibre of the youngsters coming through.

“When I was asked to come back along with Steve McManaman and Robbie Fowler it was an absolute pleasure and working alongside our Academy director Alex Inglethorpe and the coaches has been a labour of love for me,” he added.

“I will help with the defenders, Macca will look at the midfielders and then the strikers have Robbie, which is unbelievable for them.

“What we tell the players is go out and enjoy their football, keep listening to the advice and learning and then one day you will hopefully reap the rewards.

“We have got some great lads here and they know what a privilege it is for them to represent Liverpool Football Club.

“Steve Heighway is back at the academy and as coaches we are still learning from him.  He has got some great stories and is an inspirational figure.

“The Academy is a very happy place under the tutelage of Alex and everyone is pulling in the same direction.”
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #60: Jan 22, 2017 09:40:11 pm
      Rob Jones. I adored him. Nearly as much as Fowler mcmanaman and Redknapp. That's saying something
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #61: Jan 25, 2017 10:29:53 pm
      Held his own tonight, few misplaced passes/dodge crosses, but in general did fine, filled in well for Clyne which is good for him.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #62: Jan 25, 2017 10:31:44 pm
      Held his own tonight, few misplaced passes/dodge crosses, but in general did fine, filled in well for Clyne which is good for him.

Thought he was excellent, so much better in attack than Clyne and could have asked Hendo or Can to at least give him some cover. Embarrassing how open we were on that side while he was in attack and that is not his fault. DM has to slot into his position and cover and give him time to get back in.

The lad almost made it back many times too, has tremendous pace on him.

One of the few positives to take from the night in my book.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #63: Jan 25, 2017 11:53:13 pm
      TAA is only young and seems very promising, so I don't want this to sound harsh, but was he really that good tonight? I mean, I thought he was good for someone his age, but generally I wouldn't say he was great. I wouldn't be too happy with that performance from Clyne, for example. Not sure what he did in attack that was better than Clyne, generally his crosses were quite poor.

The lad has a bit of class though, doesn't he, the way he controlled a high ball early in the second half (I think) was really nice.

The experience will do him good though, hopefully he's gonna end the right back academy curse* and be in the team for years to come.

*I just made that up of course, but I'm thinking here of how Kelly, Wisdom and Flanno all looked very promising at some point but then things went downhill for them.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #64: Jan 26, 2017 12:03:27 am
      but I'm thinking here of how Kelly, Wisdom and Flanno all looked very promising at some point but then things went downhill for them.

2 of them struggled massively with injuries and I think Wisdom had his fair share too.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #65: Jan 26, 2017 12:18:31 am
      Thought he was excellent, so much better in attack than Clyne and could have asked Hendo or Can to at least give him some cover. Embarrassing how open we were on that side while he was in attack and that is not his fault. DM has to slot into his position and cover and give him time to get back in.

The lad almost made it back many times too, has tremendous pace on him.

One of the few positives to take from the night in my book.

I couldn't believe my eyes throughout first half when Hendo wasn't there to cover, same with Can, but mostly with Hendo.

TAA was my MOTM tbh, thought he played very well.
      Binomial
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 37 
      • Doing things over and expecting different results
      Reply #66: Jan 26, 2017 12:22:28 am
      He certainly has a left foot...something clyne doesn't  have.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #67: Mar 16, 2017 12:43:04 pm
      Anfield HQ‏Verified account @AnfieldHQ  2m2 minutes ago
       Alexander-Arnold is getting better and better, and can’t be far off getting picked ahead of Clyne in the pecking order. (James Pearce)

Great news.

Keep working hard young lad and the spot is yours to win.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #68: Mar 16, 2017 03:44:21 pm
      Anfield HQ‏Verified account @AnfieldHQ  2m2 minutes ago
       Alexander-Arnold is getting better and better, and can’t be far off getting picked ahead of Clyne in the pecking order. (James Pearce)

Great news.

Keep working hard young lad and the spot is yours to win.

Really like the look of TAA - I think he has the potential to overlap and link up better than Clyne. You can tell Alex Inglethorpe and co have undertaken drills to embed a style into these players habits.

What's better is he's a local lad. It's amazing how unperturbed he has looked so far - and I think it's fair to say that comes with the territory of being brought up at the club at such a young age. They are primed from a young age to be ready for this and it's no surprise that talented lads who make it look more assured and comfortable in a red shirt than players who were bought. I don't think it can be underestimated how important that is to team dynamics.

Quick Reply