Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Trent Alexander-Arnold Player Thread (D)

Read 196722 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Trent Alexander-Arnold Player Thread
      Reply #161: Feb 06, 2018 11:31:20 am
      Have been thinking the same and stated a few weeks back that his skill set is more suited for midfield imo.

I think he will get better defensively, remember we are talking about defending against Spurs here, one of the best attacking teams around, it is a huge step up for the lad, but his crosses are superb and that can't be as easily taught.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #162: Feb 06, 2018 12:59:13 pm
      Good article on Trent in, of all places, the New York Times. Focuses on his homegrown status, charity work, and would you believe his Gran used to date Alex Ferguson.  ;D

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/06/sports/soccer/liverpool-alexander-arnold.html
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #163: Mar 10, 2018 11:32:18 pm
      Read some sh*te in the match thread about this guy. For sure he had a day to forget and he knows it but to say as certain others were saying that he should be 'shown the door' is pathetic. The intolerance and impatience towards a young, exciting and promising player is ridiculous and quite frankly it's no wonder English football is such a graveyard for talent of his age if that's the sort of sh*te that is being spouted. How on earth is he supposed to develop otherwise? 

Remember Gerrard had that absolute shocker against Basle back in 2002? Hauled off at half time for Salif f**king Diao while we were 3-0 down in a must win match and publicly scorned by his manager in the press after the match. I bet some on here would have said the same thing towards Stevie as they did to Trent today.

Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #164: Mar 11, 2018 04:23:04 am
      I ain’t one of these dudes to hit the panic button, however, if we could land a RB in the summer I would be okay with it. I would love competition at that position and maybe at this point it’s what Trent needs to grow. He seems to have solidified himself as our # 1 at the moment, but if we can improve I’m all for it. That should be every teams motto. If you can get better than do it. Besides, I’m still not sure TAA couldn’t help us more in the MF. Time will tell. For now support the young lad and let’s move on. He has a big role to play the rest of this season and we need him confident.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #165: Mar 11, 2018 08:28:43 am
      Pick yourself up. Dust yourself off. Go again.
      Rockafella88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 267 posts | 83 
      Reply #166: Mar 11, 2018 08:45:57 am
      Always felt he would be much better suited in midfield in future. Deputised incredibly well with clyne out, but I feel he makes at least 1 error a game which sometimes costs us, sometimes not.

19 though, so I expect him to go through this. The only young player who came in and didnt really make an error was Owen.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #167: Mar 11, 2018 08:52:34 am
      Don't agree with people saying he isn't a RB. He's 19, this is all part of the learning process.

So many times we hear the cries about giving the young lads a chance - if we do, especially with young defenders, then you have to go through days like yesterday. It's important to not write him off as he is having to learn the hard way in front of millions of people.

He'll come again.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #168: Mar 11, 2018 08:52:38 am
      The kids 19 for fucks sake those saying saying he should be shown the door should give their head a wobble. Think back to what you were doing when you were 19 you drop kicks.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #169: Mar 11, 2018 09:06:04 am
      Don't agree with people saying he isn't a RB. He's 19, this is all part of the learning process.

So many times we hear the cries about giving the young lads a chance - if we do, especially with young defenders, then you have to go through days like yesterday. It's important to not write him off as he is having to learn the hard way in front of millions of people.

He'll come again.

You are right Dave - though to be honest I’m one of them. I just don’t see him as a full back instinctively. The way he turned his back on the second goal as Rashford goal was someone used to challenging / blocking further upfield where you wanna get the block in but maybe NOT at all costs.

As a young player I don’t see / mean that in a condemnatory way - more credit to him (and Gomez) for doing a right good job most of the time.

RB has been my biggest worry all year in squad terms - so many goals in that corridor.

He will definitely come again - maybe he’ll prove me wrong and ultimately he will be a fullback - but I see him in our team for years to come.

In all of this what shouldn’t be lost is that he’s one of the league’s premier young talents and - as you say - just finding his feet.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #170: Mar 11, 2018 09:08:26 am
      You are right Dave - though to be honest I’m one of them. I just don’t see him as a full back instinctively. The way he turned his back on the second goal as Rashford goal was someone used to challenging / blocking further upfield where you wanna get the block in but maybe NOT at all costs.

As a young player I don’t see / mean that in a condemnatory way - more credit to him (and Gomez) for doing a right good job most of the time.

RB has been my biggest worry all year in squad terms - so many goals in that corridor.

He will definitely come again - maybe he’ll prove me wrong and ultimately he will be a fullback - but I see him in our team for years to come.

In all of this what shouldn’t be lost is that he’s one of the league’s premier young talents and - as you say - just finding his feet.

I think he is our future Glen 'we should play him at RW because he's sh*t at RB' Johnson.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #171: Mar 11, 2018 09:14:11 am
      I think he is our future Glen 'we should play him at RW because he's sh*t at RB' Johnson.

Aye - that did drive me mental.

I think he might well end up as the sitter which his passing range.

The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #172: Mar 11, 2018 11:40:48 am
      The Lad made one mistake and most here hang him out to dry  :roll:
      The deflection happened because he was trying to do his job and block the ball, Could have happened to anyone...

I think that he played well Rashford would have (And does) given anybody a hard time...

The Ox should have provided cover for TAA given Rashford rep, especially after going 1-0 down

It is all a learning curve, and He did not drop his head, but rather stuck in there and got on with it
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #173: Mar 11, 2018 11:41:59 am

He'll come again.

A voice of reason... Well said
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #174: Mar 11, 2018 11:43:55 am
      Always felt he would be much better suited in midfield in future. Deputised incredibly well with clyne out, but I feel he makes at least 1 error a game which sometimes costs us, sometimes not.

19 though, so I expect him to go through this. The only young player who came in and didnt really make an error was Owen.
      Owen made plenty, but they are not usually costly when you play your football so far from your own goal line
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #175: Mar 11, 2018 11:46:12 am
      Good article on Trent in, of all places, the New York Times. Focuses on his homegrown status, charity work, and would you believe his Gran used to date Alex Ferguson. ;D

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/06/sports/soccer/liverpool-alexander-arnold.html
      Should be shown the door for that alone  :f_tongueincheek:
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #176: Mar 11, 2018 02:28:39 pm
      Not many 18/19 year old kids out there playing full back for top teams and having everything go their own way. Even less so when they've played a lot of their youth career in a different position.

He'll be fine - we could just do with Clyne back so we can take him and Gomez out of the firing line sometimes.
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,860 posts | 165 
      Reply #177: Mar 11, 2018 10:54:13 pm
      He'll learn from his mistakes and come back stronger, fine prospect this lad.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #178: Mar 12, 2018 10:39:41 pm
      TAA is going to be a great player for the club. He made a mistake with the positioning for the first goal definitely. WTF did Mata do? Sanchez? Even Rashford, he kicked two goals but it wasn't like very touch was glorious and if we played the game tomorrow he probably would do anything. I think TAA is a player that could play a range of positions but he is more attacking than defensive. It's something a good manager and coaching staff can work on but it's hard to iron out the bugs unless your playing at the top level. Anyone can look good in the U23's or lesser leagues. You can't learn  how to defend or play against strong teams loaded with top players unless you actually get experienced playing against them. Man Utd also are a brute force side. Power and pace like all Mourinho side's. These can be difficult to play against. Like a Galactico version of Stoke.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #179: Mar 13, 2018 12:03:50 am
      The lads gutted enough without the fans getting on his back. He would have been sick watching that replay.

He will bounce back.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #180: Mar 13, 2018 11:06:09 am
      But that means football as a culture has to change. Us as fans have to accept youngsters are going to have the odd dodgy game but stick with them rather than writing them off as soon as they have their first below par game. Owners have to stick with managers who are looking to build something by developing their youngsters rather than sacking a manager every couple of years. And managers need to have a pair of balls and stick with the youngsters they think can be good enough in a few years time rather than hooking them out the side as soon as one result goes tits up.

After reading some of sh*t thrown the way of Trent Alexander-Arnold, it looks as if some are remaining the same way of "the teenager has one bad game therefore he's not good enough." Hopefully Klopp doesn't go that way and keeps faith with Trent because the lad could be something special.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #181: Mar 13, 2018 11:28:18 am
      Experience is the best teacher. Hopefully this will be a lesson learned and applied and he'll get better because of it. That's what Klopp's here for...to make sure he learns and continues to improve...not to bench him and destroy his confidence.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #182: Mar 13, 2018 12:13:31 pm
      Klopp should keep on playing this lad, going to improve for sure, to my mind.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #183: Mar 13, 2018 12:31:41 pm
      After reading some of sh*t thrown the way of Trent Alexander-Arnold, it looks as if some are remaining the same way of "the teenager has one bad game therefore he's not good enough." Hopefully Klopp doesn't go that way and keeps faith with Trent because the lad could be something special.

Spot on, unless you are a freak of nature like pele or messi then dips in form are inevitable,  wasn't all that long ago he was playing in midfield

Quick Reply