Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Trent Alexander-Arnold Player Thread (D)

Read 196687 times
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Re: Trent Alexander-Arnold Player Thread
      Reply #184: Mar 13, 2018 01:21:36 pm
      Spot on, unless you are a freak of nature like pele or messi then dips in form are inevitable,  wasn't all that long ago he was playing in midfield

My only vaguely negative thought re the kid is whether he’s a full back longer term?

His instincts seem more suited to the middle to me - for obvious reasons.

I don’t consider it criticism to suggest that - right now -against the top teams he has defensive vulnerabilities that can be exploited.

Some of the comments however have been pish.
      Baconbutty
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 110 posts | 22 
      Reply #185: Mar 13, 2018 02:44:20 pm
      Anyone giving this lad sh*t over Rashford should remember Fowler doing similar to Neville in 95 and look at the career he had
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #186: Mar 13, 2018 06:44:18 pm
      My only vaguely negative thought re the kid is whether he’s a full back longer term?

His instincts seem more suited to the middle to me - for obvious reasons.

I don’t consider it criticism to suggest that - right now -against the top teams he has defensive vulnerabilities that can be exploited.

Some of the comments however have been pish.

Yeah, must admit having seen him play in midfield there were similarities to a young stevie, especially in terms of his leggy running.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #187: Mar 14, 2018 10:45:58 am
      No worse than what Gomez and Clyne have produced before him. But his crosses and attacking play make up for it while he learns positioning at the back.

Still my first choice for now.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #188: Mar 14, 2018 10:52:20 am
      No worse than what Gomez and Clyne have produced before him. But his crosses and attacking play make up for it while he learns positioning at the back.

Still my first choice for now.

I would not play him against the Top 6 as he is too naive defensively, doesn’t matter against the sh*te as we have the majority of the ball.

Not sure exactly what his attacking or crosses has done to negate his defensive frailties.
      1 assist so far.........

Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #189: Mar 14, 2018 11:32:52 am
      Seen he's gone an apologized to the fans on Twitter, absolutely no need in my books.

Hang in there Trent lad.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #190: Mar 14, 2018 11:55:05 am
      I would not play him against the Top 6 as he is too naive defensively, doesn’t matter against the sh*te as we have the majority of the ball.

Not sure exactly what his attacking or crosses has done to negate his defensive frailties.
      1 assist so far.........

What about Gomez? His defence in the same situation, as well as dealing with aerial duels and getting sucked in under the ball, is no better.

And he's excellent with his crosses. I dont need a stat to tell me otherwise.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #191: Mar 14, 2018 12:09:01 pm
      What about Gomez? His defence in the same situation, as well as dealing with aerial duels and getting sucked in under the ball, is no better.

And he's excellent with his crosses. I dont need a stat to tell me otherwise.

Personally I would have a fit Clyne against Top competition.

GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #192: Mar 14, 2018 12:48:39 pm
      The lad is 19 and a great prospect, away games at OT are always difficult and he had a bad day, it happens to everyone, let alone someone so young. Also the overall state of our defence in this game was poor, just look at Lovren who is way more experienced.

I think he needs confidence and the support of the fans and the manager, i believe that under the right guidance he will be a very good RB for us, just as Gomez will be a starter in our defence alongside Matip/VVD.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #193: Mar 14, 2018 01:20:57 pm
      Personally I would have a fit Clyne against Top competition.

In my opinion Clyne offered little at both ends. Very dire before his injury.

Also, wasnt it against the Mancs where TAA had a stormer prior to the weekend? Could be wrong.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #194: Mar 31, 2018 07:20:08 pm
      He is young and will improve and has potential. Know people don't like criticising him.
      But right now his lapses in concentration are costing us, he's struggling.
      Not sure how far Clyne is away from fitness, but would worry a bit with TAA going up against City..
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #195: Apr 01, 2018 12:36:14 am

Also, wasnt it against the Mancs where TAA had a stormer prior to the weekend? Could be wrong.

Very wrong.

I am still of the opinion that Trent will end up as a good midfielder for us.
      At the moment he isn’t showing any signs that he is learning from the same defensive issues he is displaying almost every game.
      « Last Edit: Apr 01, 2018 12:40:54 am by HScRed1 »
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #196: Apr 01, 2018 01:10:58 am
      He needs to learn how to take a f***in throw in correctly, thats for sure. :f_whistle:.

agree though, defo more midfield in the future.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #197: Apr 01, 2018 01:11:48 pm
      The boy does have lots of potential that's for sure but this is the Premier league and mistakes that he has made and is making will catch us out. He constantly found himself on the wrong side of Zaha in the 1st half yesterday but Zaha is a very good player so I have to worry about him going up against Sane when we play City in the week because Sane is twice the player Zaha is. I'm hoping he has a stormer but Pep will target this area of weakness if Trent gets the nod. Was alot better in the 2nd half when he pushed further up and when we went 3 at the back so I wouldn't be surprised if Jürgen played this way next week.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #198: Apr 03, 2018 04:02:07 pm
      Just listened to The Anfield Wrap podcast with him on. What an absolute diamond of a lad he is. If my kids grow up to be half the person he is I will be exceptionally proud.

I am not so sure he was dire defensively but offensively I remember a really high amount of our attacks ending with poor distribution from him. Think he got a little bit better before the injury but for the most part he was dire going forward.

AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #199: Apr 03, 2018 06:13:04 pm
      People need to remember every club we play is going to target our defense somewhere...that is inevitable.

On one side you have the worlds most expensive defender and the hottest FB in the country right now, on the other side you have a 19 yo who is still learning his trade and CB's that aren't the greatest...so of course they are going to target Trent.

When Clyne plays they will target him also...just the way it is.
      siavashiva
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 807 posts | 112 
      Reply #200: Apr 04, 2018 12:03:05 am
      Fully trust the kid to do the job tomorrow night. He is a local lad and will be pumped to play his heart out for the fans. No doubt this is the biggest game of his career so far, but I'm sure he will rise to the challenge and make some people eat their words.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #201: Apr 04, 2018 01:57:20 pm
      Start him tonight.
      Set him up to play offensively.
      Put City under pressure on that side.

Let him f**king breathe it all in.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #202: Apr 04, 2018 02:19:56 pm
      Start him tonight.
      Set him up to play offensively.
      Put City under pressure on that side.

Let him f**king breathe it all in.

F**k it, I agree.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #203: Apr 04, 2018 10:01:30 pm
      F***ing massive game Trent lad get in!

Balls of steel stepped up when it mattered!
      siavashiva
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 807 posts | 112 
      Reply #204: Apr 04, 2018 10:08:59 pm
      Fully trust the kid to do the job tomorrow night. He is a local lad and will be pumped to play his heart out for the fans. No doubt this is the biggest game of his career so far, but I'm sure he will rise to the challenge and make some people eat their words.

So f***in pumped for the lad. He a feet taller after tonight.
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,860 posts | 165 
      Reply #205: Apr 04, 2018 10:10:53 pm
      Best performance by a country mile tonight, learning fast this lad, still only 19, superb talent.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #206: Apr 04, 2018 10:28:41 pm
      19 years old, in that atmosphere, against a team of that calibre on a stage this big. Incredible.

Quick Reply