Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      8 (5%)
      Dejan Lovren
      12 (7.5%)
      Martin Skrtel
      9 (5.7%)
      Joe Gomez
      11 (6.9%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      8 (5%)
      Adam Lallana
      0 (0%)
      Jordon Ibe
      5 (3.1%)
      Phil Coutinho
      98 (61.6%)
      Christian Benteke
      1 (0.6%)
      Emre Can
      5 (3.1%)
      Roberto Firmino
      2 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 156

Voting closed: Aug 12, 2015 05:57:52 pm

Stoke City 0-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match debate

Read 62950 times
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Re: Stoke City 0-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match debate
      Reply #575: Aug 09, 2015 07:06:09 pm
      Before this game, many of us were bracing ourselves to batten down the hatches from opposition fans gleefully mocking us losing to Stoke - again.

They aren't doing that tonight. We win, we move on to Bournemouth, let's get two wins out of two, then we can push on.

No need to be upset tonight.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,488 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #576: Aug 09, 2015 07:06:18 pm
      I did not watch the game, but I did follow the comments on here.

Considering our form at the tail of last season was dreadful, the fact that our results at Stoke over the last 8 seasons have been very disappointing, plus that 6-1 humiliation, which was out last EPL game, this could have gone very pear shaped.

Some of the comments were very knee-jerk in nature, considering this was the first proper game with a fair amount of new players.

We restricted Stoke to just 1 shot on target, which is a huge improvement, but alas, given a chance, haters will always find a way to be happy.

Just to add some perspective on this for people:

Include todays result and this is our record in the league against Stoke since 08/09:

6W 5D 4L
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #577: Aug 09, 2015 07:06:23 pm

I think he watched a re run of last seasons game
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #578: Aug 09, 2015 07:07:28 pm
      I think some have it right here.....Can/Firmino in for Lallana/Ibe....push Hendo more forward.

I really like what I saw from Firminio...the 10 minutes was more than what Lallana gave us the entire match.

It appears Lallana will have to be happy with his place as a super sub this season. Has to watch his back as well because he could easily see himself behind Markovic as well.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #579: Aug 09, 2015 07:08:07 pm
      I think maybe the mods should consider short bans for any poster that insists on being a sad sack after a WIN.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #580: Aug 09, 2015 07:08:32 pm
      I find it difficult to see why Lallana isn't playing better he just seems out of sorts
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,056 posts | 343 
      Reply #581: Aug 09, 2015 07:10:32 pm
      I find it difficult to see why Lallana isn't playing better he just seems out of sorts

Let's give him a few games to get going, then we'll see.  I think he plays better further forward, but whether he'll get that opportunity seems unlikely.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,270 posts | 2859 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #582: Aug 09, 2015 07:11:39 pm

Include todays result and this is our record in the league against Stoke since 08/09:

6W 5D 4L

But away, in he EPL, W1 D2 L4.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #583: Aug 09, 2015 07:13:25 pm

6W 5D 4L

Away at Stoke it appears to be W2 D2 L4 (just brief glance)

Do think ignoring the performance that is a massive 3 points, wont lie and freely admit I'd have taken a point and been relatively ok with it.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,995 posts | 5048 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #584: Aug 09, 2015 07:16:18 pm
      Hey Lads & Ladettes, isn't it f***in great we're back yakkin about the match, I hate close season, bores the Bawbag off me, I'm f***in Buzzzzziinnn now, great win today, onwards & upwards Redmen.

YNWA
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #585: Aug 09, 2015 07:16:25 pm
      It appears Lallana will have to be happy with his place as a super sub this season. Has to watch his back as well because he could easily see himself behind Markovic as well.

Agreed, thought he was our weakest link by some distance. Had him miles ahead of Markovic coming off the back of a decent pre-season for Adam but now it's a bit of a coin toss who I'd prefer coming off the bench. Probably still Lallana but another performance of that level and he'll be down in 3rd place without question.

At least we have the depth to carry it this year.

Have to agree with Souness though all players have different levels of fitness and perhaps Lallana's wasn't as high as it would have seemed judging him against poor opposition.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #586: Aug 09, 2015 07:17:16 pm

I don't think he plays as well against teams like Stoke that will constantly bully and press. He's better suited to a free flowing type of game. That being said, he wasn't any worse than Henderson or even Coutinho before Phil's wonder goal. None of our midfielders showered themselves in glory other than the goal.
      RedWilly

• 9,224 posts | 1649 
      Reply #587: Aug 09, 2015 07:17:36 pm
      Get the F**k in, what a winner that was!

One of the toughest away games done and a lot of our rivals dropped points this weekend, great start.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #588: Aug 09, 2015 07:17:42 pm

6W 5D 4L

Brendan's two defeats against Stoke were considerable. Boxing Day in Christmas 2012 was significant for me and I'm pretty sure it was for him (Brendan was so dejected by that performance that he allegedly went home and straight to his bed without talking to anyone). Make no mistake we were beaten badly and it was fully deserved. Jonathan Walters made mince meat of us that day and we were bullied badly. I actually remember saying on this forum that night that we could have played that game 10 times over and still lost.

What happened after was some great positive action from Brendan. We signed Sturridge and Coutinho within a couple of weeks and then proceeded to have a good second half to the season where we finished 4th in the form table. After the horror that was 2012 as a calendar year that was some considerable improvement and it provided the basis by which we would challenge for the league throughout the next season.

We all know what happened 11 weeks ago and I hope the reaction is similar to the one after our defeat at the Britannia on that Boxing Day. This is an encouraging start and hopefully the signings can have the same impact as our signings in January 2012 - let's hope it follows a similar trend once more.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #589: Aug 09, 2015 07:17:53 pm
      Voted Cou as MOTM just for that wonder goal, but in truth everyone was as dour as each other. Game had 'first game of the season' written all over it. Great to win, couldn't care less if it's ugly or beautiful, three points is what counts at the end of the day. Now let's give Bournemouth a footballing lesson they'll never forget.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,488 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #590: Aug 09, 2015 07:18:23 pm

That it is! Don't know why I concentrated on overall.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #591: Aug 09, 2015 07:18:41 pm
      Away at Stoke it appears to be W2 D2 L4 (just brief glance)

Do think ignoring the performance that is a massive 3 points, wont lie and freely admit I'd have taken a point and been relatively ok with it.

all the more reason to be pleased especially after the last game . Play badly and win nothing to talk about, play well and lose unlucky but played well and  play poorly and get beat get the knives out.
      I just don't see any negatives today especially as it was our first league game.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #592: Aug 09, 2015 07:20:20 pm
      I'm painting my lounge this week, think I'm gonna paint it red...

You were doing fine but now you've just gone to far.

;)
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #593: Aug 09, 2015 07:20:22 pm
      I don't think he plays as well against teams like Stoke that will constantly bully and press. He's better suited to a free flowing type of game. That being said, he wasn't any worse than Henderson or even Coutinho before Phil's wonder goal. None of our midfielders showered themselves in glory other than the goal.

I just think he is a much better player than we have seen. By the way you have just perfectly described Peter Beardsley.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #594: Aug 09, 2015 07:22:50 pm
      All of the back line played well though I thought Lovren had probably his best game for us. Few more like that wouldn't go amiss. Clyne is assured and Skrtel was decent and made one very good block in particular. A lot of credit to Gomez too though, he looked a bit shaky in a few moments and showed his inexperience at times getting too close to his man, but overall an excellent debut in what is probably his 'worst' defensive position.

Wasn't clicking quite up front but these things will come. Thought Ibe had a quiet game and Lallana didn't do a whole lot either. Coutinho had touches of class but up till the goal wasn't involved enough. It's clear Benteke brings so much we've lacked over the recent years in terms of physical presence, and although he struggled to get into the game enough he showed glimpses of quick and incisive passing along the ground.

Overall it wasn't a fantastic performance but defensively we were excellent. In the end the difference was a world class strike from Coutinho and we get 3 points at the Brittania on the first day, not bad! ;D
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #595: Aug 09, 2015 07:24:17 pm
      3 points today separated by a fine footballer. Didn't think there was a lot between the teams and we required that little bit of magic from our little Brazilian.

I don't like the one up front.  Benteke was far too isolated.  Was the same story last year.  When did Brendan completely forget about Sturridge and Suarez forming a strike partnership?

Anyway, Emre Can needs to play a whole lot more.  Adam Lallana needs to play a whole lot less.  And Ibe, despite having promise, isn't the finished article so may still have to work for his place in the side.

I've slagged them off for being pretty F***ing hopeless all last season, so it's only fair that I give credit to Mignolet and Lovren who didn't give me any cause for concern today.  (Although I remember Lovren had a good opening game last season!)
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #596: Aug 09, 2015 07:27:58 pm
      Aside from his brilliant goal, and performance in the last 15 minutes, Couts was anonymous for most of the game. Even though very few covered themselves with utter glory, quite how he's accumulated 40+ votes for man of the match is beyond me.

Over the 90 minutes, I'd say the motm has to go to either Lovren (yes Lovren), Skittles or Clyne. That said, if Can had played a second more than his 20 or so he was given, he'd have got it. Game changed when he came on for Lallana. We had direction and he literally took the game to Stoke. We pressed them from that moment on. Not to mention that last ditch sliding tackle he did whilst a Stoke player was building a head of steam toward our goal.

Couts' strike will have me smiling all tonight and tomorrow, but he was nowhere near man of the match. If that's the case, then Kyle Walker was man of the match at Old Toilet yesterday.

/Rant off
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #597: Aug 09, 2015 07:29:19 pm
      3 points today separated by a fine footballer. Didn't think there was a lot between the teams and we required that little bit of magic from our little Brazilian.

I don't like the one up front.  Benteke was far too isolated.  Was the same story last year.  When did Brendan completely forget about Sturridge and Suarez forming a strike partnership?

Anyway, Emre Can needs to play a whole lot more.  Adam Lallana needs to play a whole lot less.  And Ibe, despite having promise, isn't the finished article so may still have to work for his place in the side.

I've slagged them off for being pretty F***ing hopeless all last season, so it's only fair that I give credit to Mignolet and Lovren who didn't give me any cause for concern today.  (Although I remember Lovren had a good opening game last season!)

Revert to a 4-4-2 narrow diamond again then JD?

Quick Reply