Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      8 (5%)
      Dejan Lovren
      12 (7.5%)
      Martin Skrtel
      9 (5.7%)
      Joe Gomez
      11 (6.9%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      8 (5%)
      Adam Lallana
      0 (0%)
      Jordon Ibe
      5 (3.1%)
      Phil Coutinho
      98 (61.6%)
      Christian Benteke
      1 (0.6%)
      Emre Can
      5 (3.1%)
      Roberto Firmino
      2 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 156

Voting closed: Aug 12, 2015 05:57:52 pm

Stoke City 0-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match debate

Read 59054 times
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Re: Stoke City 0-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match debate
      Reply #736: Aug 10, 2015 11:45:15 pm
      Actually it wasn't aimed at you, nor were any of my other posts about negativity despite us winning but it clearly hit a nerve that you chose to pick up, then misinterpret a positive comment I made and turn it into a negative.

So it wasnt, but since i disagreed with you, it is now? Ok.

There was no misinterpretation of your post.
      You said if we play like that and pick up 3 points every week we'd win the league, and i said if we played like that we wouldnt get 3 points 50% of the time.

I'm happy to be disagreed with, if you think I'm wrong about that. Maybe I am wrong about it. But its poor to pretend that I misinterpreted you when I obviously didnt.

My apologies if you thought that my point about the forum being boring if nobody criticised a winning performance was a personal dig. It wasnt intended to be. You were saying that a win is everything and there shouldnt be any buts or howevers. I was just (politely) disagreeing with that idea.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #737: Aug 10, 2015 11:52:27 pm

You said if we play like that and pick up 3 points every week we'd win the league, and i said if we played like that we wouldnt get 3 points 50% of the time.

I'm happy to be disagreed with, if you think I'm wrong about that. Maybe I am wrong about it. But its poor to pretend that I misinterpreted you when I obviously didnt.

My apologies if you thought that my point about the forum being boring if nobody criticised a winning performance was a personal dig. It wasnt intended to be. You were saying that a win is everything and there shouldnt be any buts or howevers. I was just (politely) disagreeing with that idea.

Don't be a tit, this is an LFC forum and we are not in the habit of criticising the team for winning.
      Check the manc sh*te site out and the unreserved euphoria with their victory compliments of an own goal.
      Some would say you are taking the piss.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #738: Aug 10, 2015 11:54:01 pm
      I think the Bournmouth game will tell us how we are going to approach lower sides looking to defend and play on the break this season. It will also give us some clues as to how well Benteke will fit in to the style Brendan has typically had us playing the past few seasons. He has certainly suggested we are not going to miss a beat in that respect so I am looking forward to seeing how we go.

I meant more that not all the pieces of the puzzle are ready to show us that yet, it'll give us clues but not the whole picture. 
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #739: Aug 10, 2015 11:57:33 pm

As I said, you took a positive and turned it into a negative.

sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #740: Aug 11, 2015 12:36:19 am
      As I said, you took a positive and turned it into a negative.
      Haha, ok debs, you'll get no more arguments from me  ;D
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #741: Aug 11, 2015 12:36:20 am
      You said done, but did you vote for him or someone else?

Him...and others in other categorys coz it made u do it
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #742: Aug 11, 2015 09:12:53 am
      I'll be honest here; the first half, in particular, was brutal and hard to watch. Slow, pedestrian, predictable, dour and riddled with long (hopeful) balls but here's the thing...

I believe it was planned. I believe we set out to disrupt their game-plan which, under normal circumstances, would have been to press us high; to get in among our defence/midfield and have us on the back foot from the off - just like last season. Their game-plan in tatters, we turned the screw in the latter part, of the second half and (with the introduction of 'ball-players') we took control.

Admittedly we got out of jail with Cout's wonder strike however... above all else, in a results driven 'industry', the ends always justify the means. A win [already three points up on corresponding fixtures] and a clean sheet will do nicely, thank you.

Put it like this: there are people who would be smoking Mourinho's wab if he came away with a result like this, after a display like this - because (you see) "he's a master at winning and at grinding out results no matter what it takes".

There'll be better displays for you to salivate over later but in the meantime; enjoy the result Reds. 
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #743: Aug 11, 2015 10:42:48 am
      at the beginning of a season in any sport results over performance is always acceptable give it 6-10 games and performances will be much improved..
      Still think it was a cracking win at a very very difficult ground and made all the more important with Arsenal,Chelsea and Spurs all dropping points.
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #744: Aug 11, 2015 11:00:07 am
      So we'll lose to Bournemouth next Monday then??
      I first off I really need to start proof reading my post before posting them......
      No reddebs, I am not staying that, I am just pointing out that where you (some supporters) say people come across as negative, that some here could be viewed as overly joyous with the win, like it was the only one say three we will get all season (Don't think i have explained that to well but hopefully you get my drift)... Guess what I was trying to say was Celebrate the win yes, but try to understand those who want to dissect it
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #745: Aug 11, 2015 11:05:35 am
      I think the point he was making Debs is the way some of us, me and you included, are talking about rejoicing in the win over Stoke, is coming across in the way that we should rejoice in it because we won't get another victory for six or seven weeks.

Now, that's not the reason I think people should rejoice in our victories. I think Liverpool fans should be happy seeing Liverpool win because that's what a Liverpool should want.

Guess I should read all the posts below mine before replying, but Thanks DLS,  you said part of what I was trying, and failing to say
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #746: Aug 11, 2015 12:00:31 pm
      but I'd be lying if I said I thought we played well because we didn't.
      And so would anyone else Scotty.

I'm a lazy sod - rather than read back, you tell me who said that they thought "we played well" [apart from battling qualities, looking solid, digging in and getting the job done, of course] and I'll get 'em for you.   :laugh:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'If we play like that again, we might get beaten'... so true, we might - then again; we might not.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #747: Aug 11, 2015 12:12:00 pm
      Should have read on ;D

Look, People see different things when they watch things whether it be a crime in the street, a horse race or a football match, we all pick up on different things,
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3bfO1rE7Yg

But we seldom see the whole picture, that’s partly why the debate gets so heated at times

For instance I felt the mid- field was over run at times by Stoke, we where losing it there. But others here say that we where very good in that department. We all see things in different ways

The game as far as Liverpool FC goes was a poor one on our part, I was waiting for and fully expecting Stoke to sneak one late on, so I can understand why the rejoicing and the sheer and utter joy that supporters felt when we where the ones to steal it late on… In a small way (not try to take away from that wonderful night) It was a little like Istanbul in the fact that all seemed lose yet we can back to win it (yes I know it is a weak comparison) but concentrate on the overall point made and not the comparison

I would sooner it have been 3 or 4-0 but at the end of the day we would have still only have been rewarded 3 points for the victory, but as some here put it, “It is 3 points in the bag”, and I am sure that Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs when bit our hands off for those points now.

I liked and agree with how 7-KK-7 put it (Cut some of his post to highlight some points that he made

For 3/4 of the game, I was far from impressed and saw little, to no improvement on last season. Defensively we weren't good enough yet again and although we got the clean sheet we were incredibly lucky to do so because they had some great chances. Charlie Adam and Johnson both should have scored against us. Though, I'm not surprised and thought we would have problems the moment I saw Lovren in the team. I'm not highlighting him to pick him out as such because it certainly wasn't his worst game for us but him and Skrtel together, doesn't work. There is zero communication between them two, constantly out of position and what really pissed me off was, and I felt a bit sorry for Lovren to be honest and here's why. In the first half they had a free kick and it showed us getting set to defend it and Lovren was doing his best to get the defensive line organised and it was one of the few times I have actually seen Lovren look as though he is confidently taking control but nobody was paying him the slightest bit of attention. Skrtel kept looking at him but was still further back than him rather than stepping up in line with him. Not good enough and we need to start having better communication at the back.

Although I wasn't overly impressed in our performance it's 1 game, 1 win and 1 clean sheet and as it currently stands we can't ask for any more than that.

We got humiliated by Stoke last time and this was a game that we could quite easily have drawn or even lost but we took one of our chances, something they weren't able to do and it gets us off to the start we all so badly wanted.

So all in all, aside from my negative moaning points; despite it not being a glamorous win, it's still exactly that...a win and a stunning goal to make that happen.

37 more like this for all I care so long as we keep getting the wins.

Now I have had some stormy debates with some here, 7-KK-7 included but when you are right you are “Right”

Great post 7-KK-7
      Recognised that it was not a perfect game and there were concerns but still happy for the win like everyone here
      BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Reply #748: Aug 11, 2015 12:36:54 pm
      I actually understand the reaction some are having to this match; perform like that against some of the better sides in the division and we will be in for it.

The sky, however, isn't falling and I think we have some real bright spots in our team who will have us on our feet in the games to come.
      marska43
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts | 14 
      Reply #749: Aug 11, 2015 12:55:56 pm
      Let me preface my post by saying I'm an American LFC fan who, with thanks of NBC's great coverage the last few years, have only missed 2 games in the last 2 years, including the European games. My first instinct after every game is to pop on this forum and see everyone's' thoughts on what we just watched. If I'm being honest, this forum's general tone has become very fickle and downright depressing the last 12-15 months, and much of which people belittle other supporters of other clubs for is happening right here. I can't quite wrap my head around it. Last year was a disaster, yes. A complete 180° turn from the season before. We've watched Luis leave us, we've had to watch Stevie play through his declining years, and we watched Raheem turn his back on us. However, on the first game of this season, in a fixture which is always considered one of the very toughest all season, we knick a 1-0 win. The forum should be happy, should be delighted with the 3 points and looking forward to Bournemouth. But no, I come in and read nothing but bitching and moaning for one reason or another. Can't we give the squad and manager a little bit of time to prove themselves? At least 2 damn matches. I'm happy with the win, some players really stepped up and some showed glimpses of what they can offer. Was it pretty? No, but it never is at the Britannia. Get behind your club, get behind the win, and lets go get another win next week.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #750: Aug 11, 2015 01:01:14 pm
      We did well up against an often brutally physical side that were pretty well drilled, got men behind the ball at all times, and then looked to counter.

The way to beat stoke isn't by playing lovely football, because they pack the defense and midfield when the opposition have the ball, so we did exactly right by wearing them down.

That's all it comes down to sometimes, wearing down stubborn opposition, and we'll see more of that this season.
      Stoke started to tire quite badly as the second half went on, and there was a bit more space there, as evidenced by the fact that Coutinho was able to run across the face of the back four to get into a shooting position.
      It was one of the very few times in the match that stoke weren't disciplined in defense.

A good win at one of the hardest away fixtures in the league, 3 points and more fitness for the lads.

It also looks like our fitness levels are better at this stage than they have been in recent seasons, which bodes well for us.
      fhands123
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 350 posts | 11 
      Reply #751: Aug 11, 2015 01:18:28 pm
      First game of the the season, got the three points. Decent. Simple as that...

With all this travelling around the world and playing nothing teams in the "pre-season" the players aren't going to be anywhere near their sharpest levels. These first 3-4 matches will bring the match sharpeness up to are much higher level. Therefore, in my opinion, wins in theses first games are excellent and you can probably disregard the performance, as they will improve with time.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #752: Aug 11, 2015 01:38:13 pm
      Don’t know if I succeeded in getting across my point which was “If people want to dissect a game and point out the pros and con’s let them… It does not mean they are (a) taking any thing away from the win, (b) we still get 3 points (c) it makes for better debates

I have had a couple for heated debate here myself, most recently with Swab. Now the reason I rise this is (a) to show that I hold no animosity to ward people I have this debates with (and not in anyway implying that they do either), and (b) to show that when I feel someone is right, or make a valid post that I should acknowledge it

We did well up against an often brutally physical side that were pretty well drilled, got men behind the ball at all times, and then looked to counter.

The way to beat stoke isn't by playing lovely football, because they pack the defense and midfield when the opposition have the ball, so we did exactly right by wearing them down.

That's all it comes down to sometimes, wearing down stubborn opposition, and we'll see more of that this season.
      Stoke started to tire quite badly as the second half went on, and there was a bit more space there, as evidenced by the fact that Coutinho was able to run across the face of the back four to get into a shooting position.
      It was one of the very few times in the match that stoke weren't disciplined in defense.

A good win at one of the hardest away fixtures in the league, 3 points and more fitness for the lads.

It also looks like our fitness levels are better at this stage than they have been in recent seasons, which bodes well for us.

Nice post.... :gt-happyup:
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #753: Aug 11, 2015 02:06:31 pm
      Let me preface my post by saying I'm an American LFC fan who, with thanks of NBC's great coverage the last few years, have only missed 2 games in the last 2 years, including the European games. My first instinct after every game is to pop on this forum and see everyone's' thoughts on what we just watched. If I'm being honest, this forum's general tone has become very fickle and downright depressing the last 12-15 months, and much of which people belittle other supporters of other clubs for is happening right here. I can't quite wrap my head around it. Last year was a disaster, yes. A complete 180° turn from the season before. We've watched Luis leave us, we've had to watch Stevie play through his declining years, and we watched Raheem turn his back on us. However, on the first game of this season, in a fixture which is always considered one of the very toughest all season, we knick a 1-0 win. The forum should be happy, should be delighted with the 3 points and looking forward to Bournemouth. But no, I come in and read nothing but bitching and moaning for one reason or another. Can't we give the squad and manager a little bit of time to prove themselves? At least 2 damn matches. I'm happy with the win, some players really stepped up and some showed glimpses of what they can offer. Was it pretty? No, but it never is at the Britannia. Get behind your club, get behind the win, and lets go get another win next week.

But the truth is there isn't much bitching and moaning about the performance itself, there is a Very small handful of posters who have had a bit of a moan and then  everyone else jumps in to condemn those opinions forgetting that it really is only 2-3 sticking the boot in/being critical ie. Fed comes in says his piece and then leaves the thread and then 20 posters reply angrily hence the thread deteriates in the way it has. And it'll happen again in the next game no doubt! Eat, sleep, rave repeat.....
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #754: Aug 11, 2015 03:21:35 pm
      ie. Fed comes in says his piece and then leaves the thread and then 20 posters reply angrily hence the thread deteriates in the way it has. And it'll happen again in the next game no doubt! Eat, sleep, rave repeat...
      Ha ha... sounds like the actions of a w.u.m. Fed a w.u.m.? Never.  :o

I mean; the mods just wouldn't allow it - they'd be down on that sh*t at first sight; there's just no way they'd let it go on for years.

Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #755: Aug 11, 2015 06:34:41 pm

It helps that Milner gives us extra muscle in midfield. There was some nastiness there from Milner in the game against Stoke which Allen, Lucas and Gerrard were never able to provide (Gerrard in his latter years I will add), its just what those neanderthals deserved.

I'm confident that James Milner will be lightyears ahead of those trio mentioned - they didn't anything much in terms of protection for the defence.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #756: Aug 11, 2015 11:15:48 pm
      Its like banging your head against a brick wall.

All summer a lot of people were asking why on earth are we signing Benteke when we won't play to his strengths, we won't supply him with the type of service he needs.

So week 1 goes by, Benteke is isolated, doesn't get a sniff at goal, he has stood in the same position for most of the game waiting for a chance and then you get people saying 'we didn't give him the service' Well no sh*t Sherlock, some of us predicted this months ago.

I strongly predict that Benteke will have dozens of games like yesterday for us and we will become frustrated with him. Its not necessarily his fault, I've said all along he is a beast providing you get the ball into him, but we won't. Instead we've got flair attacking players running at goal with the ball and we are looking for movement from our strikers and he simply doesn't offer it.  Hes at his best when you've got a wide man delivering him crosses and he is in a central position ready to attack the ball.

Im not going to talk about Benteke all season don't worry but F***ing hell I just cant believe people are saying 'He didn't get the service'. What do you think we've been saying for months.

What F***ing game were you watching?
      It sure as F**k doesn't sound like the one I saw.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #757: Aug 11, 2015 11:20:26 pm
      What f**king game were you watching?
      It sure as f**k doesn't sound like the one I saw.

to be honest, I thought he struggled but thought that'd be the case as its his first league match... Im not worried though we have the players to hopefully make this signing work

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #758: Aug 12, 2015 07:42:36 am
      I certainly can't judge us after winning a game at Stoke where a lot of people will come short this season.

We won, it was messy and certainly wasn't pretty.

Bournemouth will tell us a lot more.

There was a job to do and we got the three points in a tough FIRST fixture.

Let's just see how we set set up and go next Monday now. I'm hoping we won't afford Bournemouth at Anfield the same respect we sid Stoke at their place.

I'd be stunned if we did.

Quick Reply