Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      1 (0.7%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      35 (25.2%)
      Dejan Lovren
      6 (4.3%)
      Martin Skrtel
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      8 (5.8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      3 (2.2%)
      James Milner
      5 (3.6%)
      Adam Lallana
      0 (0%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      19 (13.7%)
      Jordon Ibe
      0 (0%)
      Christian Benteke
      57 (41%)
      Emre Can
      1 (0.7%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Alberto Moreno
      4 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 135

Voting closed: Aug 22, 2015 10:01:46 pm

Liverpool 1-0 AFC Bournemouth: In game and Post Match debate

Read 45671 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Re: Liverpool 1-0 AFC Bournemouth: In game and Post Match debate
      Reply #759: Aug 18, 2015 09:05:20 am
      I remember the 70s and 80s and even though we won everything going, it wasn't all free flowing 4-0 and 5-0, (maybe only when Barnes n Beardo were in full effect).  My god could we grind out a result!

True although sadly it's a different game now.  The kind of fans who pay £50 a ticket these days want to both see us win and be entertained.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #760: Aug 18, 2015 09:14:15 am
      Some thoughts on individual performances in today's match:

Mignolet - Saved our bacon a couple of times, and seems to stand a bit taller now that we've got some proper fullbacks. Solid and decisive, no dallying. 7/10

Clyne -  Dear me what a game he had - composed, strong, quick - and showed good skill and precision to knick the ball and carry it forward. 8/10

Skrtel - I wish he would stop pulling peoples' shirts inside the penalty area, and his form goes hot and cold then back again, but in the end he was tenacious as always and helped keep the clean sheet. 6/10

Lovren - one fine performance is starting to give way to a real run of form for our Dejan. He scarcely put a foot wrong and was in all the right places at the right times. Integral to our clean sheet. 8/10

Gomez - This was the first full game I've been able to watch since early in pre season, so it was good to finally see Joe in action and he didn't disappoint. The opinions of many on this forum played out before my eyes, in that he looked assured, comfortable in our team and performed his defensive duties without necessarily providing a threat going forward. 7/10

Milner - Really impressed with this performance. He's brought an authority to our midfield that will bring the best out of others, while possessing the ability to launch in the odd (excellent)cross and put opponents on the back foot. He was hungry and hunted the ball down well, and only misses out on a higher score because of that ridiculous free kick. 7/10

Hendo - It was unfortunate he had to come off because after the introduction of Can our midfield looked less tidy and it precipitated a long stretch of Bournemouth pegging us back. I hope he's alright and fit again soon because him and milner in the middle of the pitch could be our making this year.

Coutinho - Most of his hallmarks were on display here today: speed, dribbling, vision, passing. Led some smart passing moves and gave us real threat. Should have done better with his finishing, though. 7/10

Ibe - Quick and has a wonderful first touch. But he's got to be more decisive and less one-dimensional if he's going to be a regular starter. 6/10

Lallana - In the first half he looked to me like he always has for us: flighty and too intricate. Then, for most of the second half he seemed to get it together and did the business. Had some nice passes and was tidier in possession. 6/10

Benteke - I hope some of the clever flicks, powerful runs, excellent tackles and generally intimidating forward play silences the haters. I was wowed by him on a couple of occasions and I look forward to seeing what he can do for us this season. 8/10

Can - What's happened here?

Firmino - Want to see him get some more game time. Couldn't say much about what I saw him do tonight.

Moreno - made the most of his time on the pitch and sowed panic in the back line for a moment.

Lee Tomlin - F@cking hell he's chubby for a footballer! What's he doing in the PL?

Happy with the three points but we are in need of some more goals or we'll be found out eventually. Sick and tired of hearing about this new offside rule nonsense - if you're onside and bang in a goal from an onside position another player attempting to do the same from an offside position should have no bearing on the decision. Ridiculous rule.

Lovren came nowhere close to Clyne or even Benteke last night, don't know what makes you think he was as good as them.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #761: Aug 18, 2015 09:19:40 am
      True although sadly it's a different game now.  The kind of fans who pay £50 a ticket these days want to both see us win and be entertained.

A balance is needed a team with a new balance. see what i did there. ;D

I think BR has realised we need to be tougher to break down, and then get us attacking better, like we know his teams can do.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #762: Aug 18, 2015 09:28:25 am
      From my pov we are much tighter defensively and Benteke is a big improvement on Balotelli. Other than that we need to get much more fluid, but I'm confident we will, hopefully starting next match.
      I'd also like to see us play 2 strikers,lets give Ings a go together with Benteke.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #763: Aug 18, 2015 09:34:43 am

I'd also like to see us play 2 strikers,lets give Ings a go together with Benteke.

Agreed, although I think Lallana could/should do that (he did at Southampton alongside Rickie).  He's playing too deep IMHO, (the formation requires him to) and would be more effective playing up with Benteke.  Love to see Ings at some point, though!
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #764: Aug 18, 2015 10:06:09 am
      Solid performance overall if not extremely exciting.

Only little worrying point was the difficulty of our midfield to keep control once Henderson left (gave him the Motm vote, because it shows his unsung influence when a good player like Can is unable to efficiently replace him - and because if I hadn't choice would have been too hard between Benteke, Clyne, Gomez and Couti).

I'm not sure our current level will be enough to outplay Arsenal on their turf, but pressure will be on them after our 2 clean victories, and we may well have a good surprise if we stay as solid and Benteke finally finds his luck.
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #765: Aug 18, 2015 10:07:56 am
      Start of this season is reminicisent of the 13-14 season, starting slowly but still somehow scraping one nil victories. And I'll take points over performances any day of the week. Back to back wins, back to back clean sheets. Either of those things didn't look like happening at many times last season let alone both of them. F***ing made up.

These are the sort of games we've fu**ed up in too often over the past two and a half decades so to see us grind out the victory is a pleasing sight. Bournemouth came and gave it a go at Anfield, we were just better. Can argue all you like about the goals and whether they should or not of stood, the fact is theirs didn't, ours did. We won. Enjoy!

Mignolet flapped at a few crosses but when they did hit the target with their shots, they were dealt with comfortably by our number 22. His distribution to Beteke is top notch as well.

Clyne I can't praise this lad highly enough. Easily the best right back in the League. After years of the inconsistency of Glen Johnson, it's such a welcome sight to have a reliable right back again. It's a position we've traditionally had quality in, so to get a defender who defends first is fantastic.

Skrtel was sound throughout I thought. Don't remember any of their forwards causing him too many problems, that's enough for a centre half.

Lovren started both halves extremely sh*te but by the end of each half was somewhere near the level we need. Weren't as good as his performance against Stoke and will rightfully get stick, especially from his critics who only need to see him pick his nose wrong to say he should be dropped, but weren't as bad overall as will be made out.

Gomez could prove to be one of Brendan's finest signings if he continues to develop at the rate he's started his Liverpool career. He's right footed playing on the left, he's a centre half playing at full back, he's a young kid making his home debut and only his second Liverpool appearance and yet he didn't put a foot wrong. Really liking the look of this kid (and not in a Jimmy Savile kind of way)

Henderson put in the same sort of performance he did against Stoke. Nothing of anything but their midfielders weren't running freely into the box like teams have done against us for years.

Milner was again a carbon copy of Henderson. I think though, one of them has to start creating more otherwise we're gonna end up with a Lucas/Mascherano style partnership again (maybe with the difference of being slightly more advanced). He also should of burried that chance.

Lallana was f**king useless for the second straight game. People know I've never rated him, he's not changing my opinion on current form.

Coutinho was magical outside of the box but inside it seemed to go to pieces. But what a f**king player he is, the side should be built around him from now on in my opinion.

Ibe was hot and cold but that's to be expected with a young kid. There's times to just whip the ball in and not have to beat your man. I think the first time he did it today, we won a corner and that resulted in Benteke scoring. What I really like about Jordon though is he keeps trying, he's not one of these wingers who goes hiding. He constantly wants the ball.

Benteke done everything a centre forward should. After the Stoke game I was critical of his work when we didn't have the ball, tonight he pressed and closed down in great fashion. Took his goal well because he gambled. Won practically everything in the air, and like against Stoke if there's nobody running on beyond him that's not his fault. Fantastic performance from the big fella.

Can looked about as slow as me. People were breezing past him and he was supposed to be our fresh legs. Was really disappointed with him today, looked a mile off the pace, let alone a yard. His introduction coincided with Bournemouth getting a real grasp on the game in my eyes.

Firmino didn't do anything to get noticed.

Moreno complete opposite of Firmino, he done everything he could to get noticed. Driving us forward with his runs, got stuck in and defended admirably in the last few minutes of the match. I think a left winger might be more suited for Albert. It's great the number of options we've got now.

Overall, f**king made up. Two games, two wins, two clean sheets. Can't ask for anything better. I'm made up to see Liverpool winning again because too often last season was sh*t performances with sh*t results. That's when it hurts, whereas a win makes up for any sh*t performance for me. Winning is all that matters and we won. AGAIN!

Now let's go tw*t those arrogant southern cu*ts Arsenal next Monday and extend our 100% run.

Thank you for tonight Reds!
      Though I may disagree with one or two points, but this is a very fair assessment of the players and game... nice one mate
      « Last Edit: Aug 18, 2015 10:50:14 am by The Real Donavan Ried, Reason: Mistake »
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #766: Aug 18, 2015 10:47:47 am
      We win but it's not enough because we should be beating the opposition with all out attacking play.

We play an all out attacking game but it's not enough because our defence is too naive.

We play with a great attack and a great defence but it's not enough because we aren't hammering teams 4-0.

We hammer teams 4-0 and win the league but it's not enough because we haven't done it in the way Shankly would have.

Entitlement culture - simple as that.

It is not about the score line, some games you can pepper the goal with shots and either thier goal keeper has a spectacular game, or the post and cross bar comes to thier aid. Rather to some of us it is about performance.... As I siad it was never going to be an easy game, Bournemouth are a well drilled and fearless team, but we hardly looked threatening at times
      and struggled to create real chances and failed to really dominate this game... here are some of the stats on the game

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/fixtures.html#s2015-m803173

I suppose the stats that really count are 6 points from 2 games and 3rd in the table... But we have to hit the ground running against Arsenal because these displays against Stoke and Bournemouth will cut no ice against Arsenal come next Monday... Team seems to be stuck in pre-season mode... Don't think the Milner/Henderson combo in midfield works that good for us. Would sooner see Lallana on the bench Milner and Ibe on the wings and Can and Henderson in the mid. For me Milner is more dangerous from the wing, and that would play more to the strengths of Benteke (crosses wise) 

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #767: Aug 18, 2015 10:54:54 am
      I was gonna say the same thing, twitter was depresing reading last night (by some).

Here is most of the moans..

too many haters only happy when players they dont like fail, and managers they dont want fail.

We have won our 1st 2 games, with clean sheets and a bit of luck, and we have not played brilliant as an attacking force, but by god we have worked our socks off and ground out 2 wins.

Superb, long may it continue.

The spawny mancs used to do it year after with the FA and referees in their pockets they could be absolutely gash and still win the Prem, the last 2 seasons De Gea has got them right out of the sh*t.
       We deserve some good fortune, moreso for doing it the hard way.   

sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #768: Aug 18, 2015 11:01:55 am
      3 points and a clean sheet. If we can grab a win at Arsenal, we can really get some momentum going.

Main plus for me was Benteke - thought he was very good. Showed plenty of confidence in his touch, linked up well with Lallana and Cou, especially in the first half.
      As against Stoke, I thought our 2 new FBs were very good as well. Milner had a good 1st half and ok second, so basically the new boys are off to a pretty good start.

Main negative was how we struggled to control the game in the second half. Hendo going off definitely affected us. Lallana started dropping deeper, and while he played well in that role,we lost a lot of our creative impetus higher up.
      Ibe struggled a bit - Moreno coming on high up the park actually helped us towards the end.
      Still not convinced by Lovren, really would like to see Sahko back in.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #769: Aug 18, 2015 11:07:08 am
      It is not about the score line, some games you can pepper the goal with shots and either thier goal keeper has a spectacular game, or the post and cross bar comes to thier aid. Rather to some of us it is about performance.... As I siad it was never going to be an easy game, Bournemouth are a well drilled and fearless team, but we hardly looked threatening at times
      and struggled to create real chances and failed to really dominate this game... here are some of the stats on the game

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/fixtures.html#s2015-m803173

I suppose the stats that really count are 6 points from 2 games and 3rd in the table... But we have to hit the ground running against Arsenal because these displays against Stoke and Bournemouth will cut no ice against Arsenal come next Monday... Team seems to be stuck in pre-season mode... Don't think the Milner/Henderson combo in midfield works that good for us. Would sooner see Lallana on the bench Milner and Ibe on the wings and Can and Henderson in the mid. For me Milner is more dangerous from the wing, and that would play more to the strengths of Benteke (crosses wise) 

Absolute waste of time attempting to inspire some positivity with that F***ing moron.
      His closing comment in describing supporters who want to see their team succeed is ''entitlement culture''.

I dread to think of the stereotypical images he could paint about Liverpool in the more sensitive threads on this forum, he avoids posting in particular threads for obvious reasons.
      Gabri
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 174 posts | 26 
      Reply #770: Aug 18, 2015 11:29:12 am
      I said it in the past. I really prefer those scrappy 1-0 wins, rather than the 5-3 and the 3-2 wins that we produced two years ago. Goals bring spectators but defenses bring championships. I would like to see as many clean sheets as possible. So, good win, two games without conceding a goal and keep going strong.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #771: Aug 18, 2015 11:30:15 am
      The spawny mancs used to do it year after with the FA and referees in their pockets they could be absolutely gash and still win the Prem, the last 2 seasons De Gea has got them right out of the sh*t.
       We deserve some good fortune, moreso for doing it the hard way.   

You are right, and they are at it again as well, they have scraped 2 rubbish 1-0 nils. don't hear too many complaining about that.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #772: Aug 18, 2015 11:38:53 am
      I know some were talking about expecting a possible cricket score prior to this game. I'm glad I don't think like that because the low some must feel now, after thinking in that arrogant way doesn't bare thinking about.

I think we were pretty much outplayed by a newly promoted side on our own patch, and we just scraped the result through a very fortunate decision. I'm happy we won, and I don't mind us winning ugly at all, especially at the beginning of the season, but we had no control or drive in midfield whatsoever.

Rodgers, for me has to drop this formation he's trying because we'll come a cropper playing essentially with 2 out and out midfielders. Bournemouth outnumbered us in the engine room and we didn't have the time nor space to dictate play whatsoever.

He's got to play Milner, Henderson (who after I've critisised a bit, thought he did a decent job until he went off), and Can in midfield. We look leaderless, rudderless and failed to win the right to play the game. Bournemouth, for me won that right and dominated proceedings.

My player ratings:

Mignolet: 6 Didn't have too much to do in the way of shot saving, flapped and flipped a bit at crosses but really for their dominance he had a fairly comfortable night.

Clyne: 6 A solid performance at RB. Ventured forward a bit and got in some good tackles.

Gomez: 5 Solid defensively. However, if Rodgers is going to persist with playing this right footer at LB, then he need to ask Gomez to raid the flanks a bit more. I suspect, the lad won't be comfortable doing this though.

Lovren: 8 I think he had one of his better games and going by his showing at this club that can't be hard. But in fairness to Lovren I think he was pretty good tonight. Recovered after Wilson ghosted him to the bye line in the first half, and almost every connection he made to the ball was a good one.

Skertel: 6 I think he was sound. Didn't really notice anything great or bad from big Martin. But it's clear these two center backs need to start working in tandem with each other rather than being individuals.

Milner: 7 Thought he was typically industrious and his own game mirrored our team game. Nothing spectacular but grinding away with a good work ethic. I would like to see either him or Hendo take the midfield by the scruff of the neck.

Henderson: 7 Actually tried to impose himself on the game and looked the more likely out of the two engine runners to take the game by the scruff of the neck. I just felt he was hampered with only one genuine midfielder next to him in Milner. I think another body in there would have really helped Henderson, but that was a good performance by him and his assist was good too.

Can: 6 I like him. Gets about a bit and does his stuff. Looks at times though the pace of the game gets to him. Hopefully, with more time in his preferred role Can can really stabilize a meek midfield.

Ibe: 5 It hasn't really come off for him starting two games. And at the moment he looks better from the bench, when legs are tiring and the game is stretched - also he seems to burst into the game more being introduced as sub, as though there is less expectation from him.

Lallana: 4 Disappointing to the extent I thought he took up a valuable shirt that was much needed in central midfield. Didn't offer much for me, and Rodgers really has to think about dropping him IMO.

Coutinho: 7 The only bright spark for us. It was unfortunate nobody else around him in a red shirt was as lively. Had they been, more of his game would have been highlighted for the quality it is. He could/should have trouble the net with a left footed passing shot into the Kop in the second half, and he really tried to link up with Benteke, our only forward thinking player who seemed to do this - and read the Belgium's knock downs.

Benteke: 7 His goal proved decisive in the end, and he should have scored IMO late on. Put himself about and won so many aerial duels but they'd often come to nothing because nobody around him anticipated the knock-downs really, apart from Coutinho. Still looks a little weird in this team, but that is something the team has to work on a bit I suppose.

All in all, I'm just thankful for the 3pts, and much credit to Bournemouth for the way they came and played.

YNWA
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #773: Aug 18, 2015 11:42:39 am
      2 games.
      2 goals scored.
      0 conceeded.

6 points.

I'll take that :)
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #774: Aug 18, 2015 11:43:13 am
      We win but it's not enough because we should be beating the opposition with all out attacking play.

We play an all out attacking game but it's not enough because our defence is too naive.

We play with a great attack and a great defence but it's not enough because we aren't hammering teams 4-0.

We hammer teams 4-0 and win the league but it's not enough because we haven't done it in the way Shankly would have.

Entitlement culture - simple as that.

Pretty much.

If we had went all out attack these first two games and drew or lost Brendan would be getting slaughtered for 'not learning anything' from many.

It's clear to me that some of those who have even said they'll give him a chance are just waiting on a slip up.

I wanted him gone and thought the time was right to make a change but once it was clear that wasn't happening he had my backing and I was keen to see if he has learned from last season and I think he has.
      « Last Edit: Aug 18, 2015 12:17:07 pm by srslfc »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #775: Aug 18, 2015 12:15:27 pm
      Clyne a 6 and Lovren an 8?

Beer, I think you are drunk, go home! :D
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #776: Aug 18, 2015 12:28:47 pm
      I know some were talking about expecting a possible cricket score prior to this game. I'm glad I don't think like that because the low some must feel now, after thinking in that arrogant way doesn't bare thinking about.

I think we were pretty much outplayed by a newly promoted side on our own patch, and we just scraped the result through a very fortunate decision. I'm happy we won, and I don't mind us winning ugly at all, especially at the beginning of the season, but we had no control or drive in midfield whatsoever.

Rodgers, for me has to drop this formation he's trying because we'll come a cropper playing essentially with 2 out and out midfielders. Bournemouth outnumbered us in the engine room and we didn't have the time nor space to dictate play whatsoever.

He's got to play Milner, Henderson (who after I've critisised a bit, thought he did a decent job until he went off), and Can in midfield. We look leaderless, rudderless and failed to win the right to play the game. Bournemouth, for me won that right and dominated proceedings.

My player ratings:

Mignolet: 6 Didn't have too much to do in the way of shot saving, flapped and flipped a bit at crosses but really for their dominance he had a fairly comfortable night.

Clyne: 6 A solid performance at RB. Ventured forward a bit and got in some good tackles.

Gomez: 5 Solid defensively. However, if Rodgers is going to persist with playing this right footer at LB, then he need to ask Gomez to raid the flanks a bit more. I suspect, the lad won't be comfortable doing this though.

Lovren: 8 I think he had one of his better games and going by his showing at this club that can't be hard. But in fairness to Lovren I think he was pretty good tonight. Recovered after Wilson ghosted him to the bye line in the first half, and almost every connection he made to the ball was a good one.

Skertel: 6 I think he was sound. Didn't really notice anything great or bad from big Martin. But it's clear these two center backs need to start working in tandem with each other rather than being individuals.

Milner: 7 Thought he was typically industrious and his own game mirrored our team game. Nothing spectacular but grinding away with a good work ethic. I would like to see either him or Hendo take the midfield by the scruff of the neck.

Henderson: 7 Actually tried to impose himself on the game and looked the more likely out of the two engine runners to take the game by the scruff of the neck. I just felt he was hampered with only one genuine midfielder next to him in Milner. I think another body in there would have really helped Henderson, but that was a good performance by him and his assist was good too.

Can: 6 I like him. Gets about a bit and does his stuff. Looks at times though the pace of the game gets to him. Hopefully, with more time in his preferred role Can can really stabilize a meek midfield.

Ibe: 5 It hasn't really come off for him starting two games. And at the moment he looks better from the bench, when legs are tiring and the game is stretched - also he seems to burst into the game more being introduced as sub, as though there is less expectation from him.

Lallana: 4 Disappointing to the extent I thought he took up a valuable shirt that was much needed in central midfield. Didn't offer much for me, and Rodgers really has to think about dropping him IMO.

Coutinho: 7 The only bright spark for us. It was unfortunate nobody else around him in a red shirt was as lively. Had they been, more of his game would have been highlighted for the quality it is. He could/should have trouble the net with a left footed passing shot into the Kop in the second half, and he really tried to link up with Benteke, our only forward thinking player who seemed to do this - and read the Belgium's knock downs.

Benteke: 7 His goal proved decisive in the end, and he should have scored IMO late on. Put himself about and won so many aerial duels but they'd often come to nothing because nobody around him anticipated the knock-downs really, apart from Coutinho. Still looks a little weird in this team, but that is something the team has to work on a bit I suppose.

All in all, I'm just thankful for the 3pts, and much credit to Bournemouth for the way they came and played.

YNWA

wtf ??? :lmao:

Clyne 6, Lovren 8, Gomez 5?! Did we watch different games?
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #777: Aug 18, 2015 12:42:25 pm
      At this early stage of the season the points are more important than the performance.  We have shown glimpses and players have impressed in isolation and at this stage with so many new faces I am relatively happy with our progress.

I thought there was some improvement from the Stoke game, and the involvement of Benteke in more of our play was certainly noticeable.

Bournemouth try and play some good football, but lack that quality in key areas that means they may well struggle this year, and we certainly had the more meaningful chances.

I'm going to leave more detailed analysis for after a few more games, but what's not to like about 6 from 6?

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #778: Aug 18, 2015 12:52:22 pm
      wtf ??? :lmao:

Clyne 6, Lovren 8, Gomez 5?! Did we watch different games?

You must have watched the one where Lovren is still fair game, lad.

I thought he did good. Our fullbacks okay, solid. Gomez didn't offer much going forward.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #779: Aug 18, 2015 12:53:12 pm
      surprised some have already admitted defeat against Arsenal. If we play sh*te all season but win games who cares. The mix isnt right in the centre of midfield Milner and Henderson together lacks something. I think we will do well against Arsenal Benteke up front on his own means we can pack the midfield and break with pace. 2 games is not enough to find form if after 6 games we are still stuttering along then I am sure changes will be made.Sky Sports would be very happy to take our win away but its not up to them and we have 6 points from 2 games 5 more than Chelsea and 3 more than Arsenal. Great start to the season even if we have been under par
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #780: Aug 18, 2015 12:53:23 pm
      Pretty much.

If we had went all out attack these first two games and drew or lost Brendan would be getting slaughtered for 'not learning anything' from many.

It's clear to me that some of those who have even said they'll give him a chance are just waiting on a slip up.

I wanted him gone and thought the time was right to make a change but once it was clear that wasn't happening he had my backing and I was keen to see if he has learned from last season and I think he has.

Exactly so - the agenda's obvious.

As for learning from last season - we have made some changes at a strategic level which will hopefully pay off - in fact it;s given me an idea for a new thread.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #781: Aug 18, 2015 01:03:18 pm
      My thoughts on last nights game were:

To like

- Two games two wins and some breathing space for the manager and the players

- As a defensive unit I can't recall that the opposition have carved out anything more than a half-chance in two games.

- Benteke off the mark and playing quite well despite probably not being up to full fitness at this stage.

- I thought Clyne was our best player by a country mile, head and shoulders above the rest. What a cracking piece of business this was. I'm sick of full backs being judged by the attacking prowess first and their defending second. This lad can do both. He's strong, he's quick, his positioning has been excellent. Already making a massive difference to our defence.

- Mignolet was good back there again, has had a decent confident start to the season. Really encouraging and hugely important for us this season.

Concerns

- Can we dominate the ball with Benteke in the side? As well as he has played we look a different side this season in terms of being able to keep the ball, in terms of our tempo, in terms of playing balls into areas rather than feet, we haven't moved it as quickly or played at tempo and these are all things I expect to see in a Rodgers team that is playing well. Of course we will probably have a better idea this time next week.

- The midfield balance does not look quite right. I think we need to be playing the one sitter with Hendo/Milner playing ahead of them. That sitter should be Lucas for me and I'll bet you, had he been on the bench last night (given the way the game was going) he would have got on the pitch because Can had a stinker when he came on.

- Lallana is a funny one. First half he was poor, held it too long, had very little impact or effect on the game. 2nd half with him playing more centrally and also off the left and cutting in he had more influence and was (after Clyne) probably our best player IMHO over the last 30 minutes (not that that was saying much!)

Quick Reply