Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      1 (0.7%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      35 (25.2%)
      Dejan Lovren
      6 (4.3%)
      Martin Skrtel
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      8 (5.8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      3 (2.2%)
      James Milner
      5 (3.6%)
      Adam Lallana
      0 (0%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      19 (13.7%)
      Jordon Ibe
      0 (0%)
      Christian Benteke
      57 (41%)
      Emre Can
      1 (0.7%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Alberto Moreno
      4 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 135

Voting closed: Aug 22, 2015 10:01:46 pm

Liverpool 1-0 AFC Bournemouth: In game and Post Match debate

Read 46188 times
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: Liverpool 1-0 AFC Bournemouth: In game and Post Match debate
      Reply #736: Aug 17, 2015 11:48:15 pm
      Absolutely true that S@int, could see in Eddie Howe's face how frustrated he was because he was also so proud, rightly so, with how his players had played in the first 2 games yet they sit 1 place off the bottom of the table.

They've gained an admirer from me though and I'll certainly be watching that Ritchie more closely this season, think he'll get them a few goals this season, hopefully keep them up.

Like a few teams that have come up recently, Bournemouth play excellent football, its scoring goals at this level where promoted teams tend to struggle. I think their season will depend largely on if any of their strikers can make the step up, or if they can attract a goal scorer proven at this level.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #737: Aug 17, 2015 11:57:35 pm
      If we get beat at Arsenal we'll have six points after three matches. To be totally honest before the season started I'd have taken that all day long from Stoke away, Arsenal away and Bournemouth at home. As such it's a bit of a free hit now we've won the first two, whereas you could argue it's probably at least a "must not lose" for Arsenal with City flying along. I've said many times that you can't win the title in the first half dozen matches, but you can certainly lose it. Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs now find themselves under huge pressure in their next couple of matches. I'm personally very happy that we aren't in the same boat, and the fact that we've got there in a bit of an ugly way is irrelevant.
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #738: Aug 18, 2015 12:09:55 am
      Absolutely true that S@int, could see in Eddie Howe's face how frustrated he was because he was also so proud, rightly so, with how his players had played in the first 2 games yet they sit 1 place off the bottom of the table.

They've gained an admirer from me though and I'll certainly be watching that Ritchie more closely this season, think he'll get them a few goals this season, hopefully keep them up.
      They played a good game Luke but they were dirty in doing so , when Coutinho got the better of them they resorted to tearing him down just like they did with Can as well .

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #739: Aug 18, 2015 12:14:44 am
      yeh, you right
       But we have been sh*te. As sh*te as last season. But i'm sure against Arsenal all our players will just click. Just how long have you been watching football by the way, if you don't mind me asking?

I've obviously missed a game here.
      I don't remember us losing this season's corresponding game against Stoke 6-1.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #740: Aug 18, 2015 12:14:59 am
      They played a good game Luke but they were dirty in doing so , when Coutinho got the better of them they resorted to tearing him down just like they did with Can as well .

I'd call that smart, or canny, sure they took a few yellows, some which I think were harsh and inconsistent (if he was being consistent he should have sent Gomez off for the pull back late on). So I'm not sure I'd agree with you there, dirty I class more as trying to inflict any physical harm and honestly I saw none of that from them. Good clean honest game with professional fouls which, as bad it may sound, when one of our players does it I cheer for it.

It's that recognition of danger and knowing when to make that choice that differentiates though, some players simply pull back because they're beaten so regularly that it has become second nature. Other players such as a Matic / Fernadinho do it when the alarm bell starts ringing. It's that sort of trade craft I think we're still not quite there with.

Just for clarity I'm not comparing what Bournemouth did with Matic and Fernandinho but there was certainly threat and I was simply stating that I wouldn't moan if we were the offending party so to do so now would be a bit hypocritical.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #741: Aug 18, 2015 12:17:00 am
      That was a piss poor performance. Away to Arsenal could be a hard watch.
      Still no improvement in our style or play.
      Another lucky 3pts. This luck will not last.

Did you watch Arsenal's first game?
      Now that was a piss poor performance.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #742: Aug 18, 2015 12:24:52 am
      Start of this season is reminicisent of the 13-14 season, starting slowly but still somehow scraping one nil victories. And I'll take points over performances any day of the week. Back to back wins, back to back clean sheets. Either of those things didn't look like happening at many times last season let alone both of them. F***ing made up.

These are the sort of games we've fu**ed up in too often over the past two and a half decades so to see us grind out the victory is a pleasing sight. Bournemouth came and gave it a go at Anfield, we were just better. Can argue all you like about the goals and whether they should or not of stood, the fact is theirs didn't, ours did. We won. Enjoy!

Mignolet flapped at a few crosses but when they did hit the target with their shots, they were dealt with comfortably by our number 22. His distribution to Beteke is top notch as well.

Clyne I can't praise this lad highly enough. Easily the best right back in the League. After years of the inconsistency of Glen Johnson, it's such a welcome sight to have a reliable right back again. It's a position we've traditionally had quality in, so to get a defender who defends first is fantastic.

Skrtel was sound throughout I thought. Don't remember any of their forwards causing him too many problems, that's enough for a centre half.

Lovren started both halves extremely sh*te but by the end of each half was somewhere near the level we need. Weren't as good as his performance against Stoke and will rightfully get stick, especially from his critics who only need to see him pick his nose wrong to say he should be dropped, but weren't as bad overall as will be made out.

Gomez could prove to be one of Brendan's finest signings if he continues to develop at the rate he's started his Liverpool career. He's right footed playing on the left, he's a centre half playing at full back, he's a young kid making his home debut and only his second Liverpool appearance and yet he didn't put a foot wrong. Really liking the look of this kid (and not in a Jimmy Savile kind of way)

Henderson put in the same sort of performance he did against Stoke. Nothing of anything but their midfielders weren't running freely into the box like teams have done against us for years.

Milner was again a carbon copy of Henderson. I think though, one of them has to start creating more otherwise we're gonna end up with a Lucas/Mascherano style partnership again (maybe with the difference of being slightly more advanced). He also should of burried that chance.

Lallana was F***ing useless for the second straight game. People know I've never rated him, he's not changing my opinion on current form.

Coutinho was magical outside of the box but inside it seemed to go to pieces. But what a F***ing player he is, the side should be built around him from now on in my opinion.

Ibe was hot and cold but that's to be expected with a young kid. There's times to just whip the ball in and not have to beat your man. I think the first time he did it today, we won a corner and that resulted in Benteke scoring. What I really like about Jordon though is he keeps trying, he's not one of these wingers who goes hiding. He constantly wants the ball.

Benteke done everything a centre forward should. After the Stoke game I was critical of his work when we didn't have the ball, tonight he pressed and closed down in great fashion. Took his goal well because he gambled. Won practically everything in the air, and like against Stoke if there's nobody running on beyond him that's not his fault. Fantastic performance from the big fella.

Can looked about as slow as me. People were breezing past him and he was supposed to be our fresh legs. Was really disappointed with him today, looked a mile off the pace, let alone a yard. His introduction coincided with Bournemouth getting a real grasp on the game in my eyes.

Firmino didn't do anything to get noticed.

Moreno complete opposite of Firmino, he done everything he could to get noticed. Driving us forward with his runs, got stuck in and defended admirably in the last few minutes of the match. I think a left winger might be more suited for Albert. It's great the number of options we've got now.

Overall, F***ing made up. Two games, two wins, two clean sheets. Can't ask for anything better. I'm made up to see Liverpool winning again because too often last season was sh*t performances with sh*t results. That's when it hurts, whereas a win makes up for any sh*t performance for me. Winning is all that matters and we won. AGAIN!

Now let's go tw*t those arrogant southern cu*ts Arsenal next Monday and extend our 100% run.

Thank you for tonight Reds!
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #743: Aug 18, 2015 12:47:04 am
      I don't even go there anymore. Seems to be full of weird people from the other side of the world claiming "Rodgers has to go, wot will win it for uz is once we get Mourinho in as boss and Messi and Ronaldo to play for us then we'z be able to win the Champagnes League".

I'm from the other side of the world (ish).  :f_whistle:

But anyways, we'z gots do gut Moreenho end Messy end Ronuldo tu wyn da leeg of champagnes end bryng et buck tu endfield.

Seriously though before I get myself banned in here. Thoughts on the match:

-Backline looked good again. Another clean sheet for Migs who handled everything that came his well perfectly. Skrtel and Lovren looked good, but still send shivers down my spine every now and then, Lovren also looked a little too soft for a CB. Clyne was near-perfect, think he's probably our most crucial signing of the summer and it's amazing to see what a top defender can do back there. Gomez played well again, if he builds up some strength, I really think that he can become a top player - got a set of wheels on him as well for a center back.

-Hendo and Milner started alright. Still not that big of a fan of them running as the only protection for our backline though. Been saying since preseason that I really think it's not a good situation for them or the backline. Once we get Can in there consistently, I think we'll see major improvements in their offensive play (which has been very solid as it is) and more improvements in our defense as well.

-Lallana looked decent, still wary about his ability to make an impact and think that Firmino will become the clear-cut choice once he's fully fit. Just not sure that Lallana makes a good winger which seems to be where he usually finds himself, would love to see him playing just off the striker. Meanwhile, Ibe was far and away the worst player in the team today, just couldn't seem to get his head and his touch right today - think he should be handled lightly coming off the bench and I'd like to see Teixeira get some time eventually as well.

-Couts was excellent as usual today. The other two in our attacking midfield (Ibe and Lallana) paled in comparison to his abilities. Was unlucky to miss his chances though, and I'm not sure how long our team can continue to survive with him as pretty much the only creative force to unlock defenses - which is why I'd like to see Hendo and Milner pushed further up the pitch supported by Can and the introduction of Firmino when ready.

-Finally, Benteke looked superb to me. Gives us the opportunity to mix up our play and really seemed to get into the game. Should've had a brace, dominated the game aerially, and actually had a few nice flicks and link up play with Phil. Can't wait to see what he can do when he's supported a bit more and as our team continues to structure around his abilities.

All in all it was a good, not great performance. Think we should be ecstatic with the result and starting the season 6 for 6 (points). However, I'm not sure that a performance like today would bring success against stronger opposition. We need a bit more grit and stability in the center of the park on the defensive side, I'd like to see us control possession a bit more (for longer periods of time), think we need some more creativity going forward - as well as a few more aerial opportunities for Benteke, and hopefully as a unit we'll get a bit more clinical in front of goal.

To echo some of what's been said on here: lucky or not, top of the table is a great place to be early on the season and can provide the team with the confidence and conviction going forward. Lots of work to do this season, but I'm liking what I'm seeing so far - especially from the new signings.

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #744: Aug 18, 2015 01:35:37 am
      Caught most the first half and bits and pieces of the second.  Think Hendo has been given short shrift in this thread. Impressed me. Will watch once or twice again before giving player reviews, though Clyne & Benteke will probably get some praise as well, from my limited viewing.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #745: Aug 18, 2015 03:14:57 am
      Scrappy but ballsy win, thankfully we got the points, it was iffy for a while there, things could have went either way.
      I've watched all the top teams play full games this season, except man u, didn't know they were on.
      Arsenal haven't looked that great for instance and the Man City game against the chavs was flattering to them because Chelsea were all over the place.
      For those that are saying Can is like really slow and misses some of the action around him, gets out of position. Yaya Toure looked half arsed and took a millennium getting up off the deck in their last game, hardly blew my mind or anything, he's voted top midfielder blah blah so yeah. Lets not be so quick to judge.
      We were always going to start off rusty and disjointed with so many new first team players. We've got full points so F**k yeah.

I will add this though, I can't stand whatever formation, if you can call it that, we were/are using.
      first part of the game Gomez was miles away from defense constantly so Lovren was fu**ed by having to constantly cover on his own, when they were rampaging down our left.
      BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Reply #746: Aug 18, 2015 04:12:09 am
      Some thoughts on individual performances in today's match:

Mignolet - Saved our bacon a couple of times, and seems to stand a bit taller now that we've got some proper fullbacks. Solid and decisive, no dallying. 7/10

Clyne -  Dear me what a game he had - composed, strong, quick - and showed good skill and precision to knick the ball and carry it forward. 8/10

Skrtel - I wish he would stop pulling peoples' shirts inside the penalty area, and his form goes hot and cold then back again, but in the end he was tenacious as always and helped keep the clean sheet. 6/10

Lovren - one fine performance is starting to give way to a real run of form for our Dejan. He scarcely put a foot wrong and was in all the right places at the right times. Integral to our clean sheet. 8/10

Gomez - This was the first full game I've been able to watch since early in pre season, so it was good to finally see Joe in action and he didn't disappoint. The opinions of many on this forum played out before my eyes, in that he looked assured, comfortable in our team and performed his defensive duties without necessarily providing a threat going forward. 7/10

Milner - Really impressed with this performance. He's brought an authority to our midfield that will bring the best out of others, while possessing the ability to launch in the odd (excellent)cross and put opponents on the back foot. He was hungry and hunted the ball down well, and only misses out on a higher score because of that ridiculous free kick. 7/10

Hendo - It was unfortunate he had to come off because after the introduction of Can our midfield looked less tidy and it precipitated a long stretch of Bournemouth pegging us back. I hope he's alright and fit again soon because him and milner in the middle of the pitch could be our making this year.

Coutinho - Most of his hallmarks were on display here today: speed, dribbling, vision, passing. Led some smart passing moves and gave us real threat. Should have done better with his finishing, though. 7/10

Ibe - Quick and has a wonderful first touch. But he's got to be more decisive and less one-dimensional if he's going to be a regular starter. 6/10

Lallana - In the first half he looked to me like he always has for us: flighty and too intricate. Then, for most of the second half he seemed to get it together and did the business. Had some nice passes and was tidier in possession. 6/10

Benteke - I hope some of the clever flicks, powerful runs, excellent tackles and generally intimidating forward play silences the haters. I was wowed by him on a couple of occasions and I look forward to seeing what he can do for us this season. 8/10

Can - What's happened here?

Firmino - Want to see him get some more game time. Couldn't say much about what I saw him do tonight.

Moreno - made the most of his time on the pitch and sowed panic in the back line for a moment.

Lee Tomlin - F@cking hell he's chubby for a footballer! What's he doing in the PL?

Happy with the three points but we are in need of some more goals or we'll be found out eventually. Sick and tired of hearing about this new offside rule nonsense - if you're onside and bang in a goal from an onside position another player attempting to do the same from an offside position should have no bearing on the decision. Ridiculous rule.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,298 posts | 765 
      Reply #747: Aug 18, 2015 06:50:38 am
      Fortunate win, with an offside goal from Benteke. The team must ride their luck and improve their performance. credit to Bournemouth who where unlucky to leave pointless.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,352 posts | 1631 
      Reply #748: Aug 18, 2015 06:57:33 am
      The truth is we got away with one last night , they matched us nearly all the way . Which is a bit worrying considering we've spent the best part of 300 mill on that team and they've spent 3 quid .
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #749: Aug 18, 2015 07:14:10 am
      The truth is we got away with one last night , they matched us nearly all the way . Which is a bit worrying considering we've spent the best part of 300 mill on that team and they've spent 3 quid .

but surely you realise football is played on a pitch, not with numbers? anyway, 300 mil? i count closer to 140 mil. i wouldn't say they "matched us nearly all the way" either, they only looked threatening in one or two parts, we were the threatening side for most of the way.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #750: Aug 18, 2015 07:21:37 am
      Some right weirdos in here who seem  gutted that we won. You ain't fooling no one WUMS!

Its always about results, especially when our rivals have been dropping points, we've taken advantage early doors and put the pressure on them.

Would take these performances all season if it got us the same result.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,352 posts | 1631 
      Reply #751: Aug 18, 2015 08:01:30 am
      but surely you realise football is played on a pitch, not with numbers? anyway, 300 mil? i count closer to 140 mil. i wouldn't say they "matched us nearly all the way" either, they only looked threatening in one or two parts, we were the threatening side for most of the way.
      People view games differently , perhaps you should remove your blinkers, I'm as happy as the next fan with our six point start , but lets not pretend we've been good , you might want to review your maths because this project has had a lot more than 140 mil spent on it , me I see worrying signs of last season in our play , just hope we improve .
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #752: Aug 18, 2015 08:03:08 am
      We win but it's not enough because we should be beating the opposition with all out attacking play.

We play an all out attacking game but it's not enough because our defence is too naive.

We play with a great attack and a great defence but it's not enough because we aren't hammering teams 4-0.

We hammer teams 4-0 and win the league but it's not enough because we haven't done it in the way Shankly would have.

Entitlement culture - simple as that.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #753: Aug 18, 2015 08:30:11 am
      Haven't been good but didn't have to be.

If a new team can scrape wins when they're not at their best it bodes well for the rest of the season.

Bit of déjà vu to two seasons ago. Scrappy 1-0 wins gave us momentum to nearly win the league. Fingers crossed we build that kind of momentum again.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,050 posts | 342 
      Reply #754: Aug 18, 2015 08:32:41 am
      I remember the 70s and 80s and even though we won everything going, it wasn't all free flowing 4-0 and 5-0, (maybe only when Barnes n Beardo were in full effect).  My god could we grind out a result!  We could be dirty, we could be lucky, we did everything to win.  And it was often against the lower-placed teams that we needed to take that approach. 

I'd love to see us win week-in week-out playing like we did in 13/14, but we lost the title precisely because we COULDN'T grind out a result when the mojo wasn't rising!
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #755: Aug 18, 2015 08:37:57 am
      Some right weirdos in here who seem  gutted that we won. You ain't fooling no one WUMS!

Its always about results, especially when our rivals have been dropping points, we've taken advantage early doors and put the pressure on them.

Would take these performances all season if it got us the same result.

I was gonna say the same thing, twitter was depresing reading last night (by some).

Here is most of the moans..

we are sh1te this is sh1te, should be doing these etc. - Yes we should win more comfertably, but they are decent team buzzing from getting promoted, give them credit please, and we are bedding in new players etc.

Lallana should not be starting, he rubbish, watching different game for me, he was very good last night, put in a hell of a shift, dont think I seen many stray passes.

And last of all and worst IMO, why is sackho not playing, BR does not know what he is doing blah blah blah.

too many haters only happy when players they dont like fail, and managers they dont want fail.

We have won our 1st 2 games, with clean sheets and a bit of luck, and we have not played brilliant as an attacking force, but by god we have worked our socks off and ground out 2 wins.

Superb, long may it continue.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #756: Aug 18, 2015 08:43:24 am
      If we get beat at Arsenal we'll have six points after three matches. To be totally honest before the season started I'd have taken that all day long from Stoke away, Arsenal away and Bournemouth at home. As such it's a bit of a free hit now we've won the first two, whereas you could argue it's probably at least a "must not lose" for Arsenal with City flying along. I've said many times that you can't win the title in the first half dozen matches, but you can certainly lose it. Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs now find themselves under huge pressure in their next couple of matches. I'm personally very happy that we aren't in the same boat, and the fact that we've got there in a bit of an ugly way is irrelevant.

spot on, and just what if ?? we beat arsenal ? we will already be 6 points clear of them after 3 games. Magic. :-)

U just never know. Personally think a wee away draw is a posibility.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,659 posts | 489 
      Reply #757: Aug 18, 2015 08:45:59 am
      Another 1-0 win against Arsenal needed now. :D
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #758: Aug 18, 2015 08:47:46 am
      I also think we played better than we are getting credit for, solid again, restricted them to hardly any clear cut chances, the disallowed header and long range efforts.

We had a few really good passing moves that had the final ball beena  bit better would have been some classic goals, Hendo had that shot from out side the box 1st time of the bar.

People forget, thsi is only big bens 3rd start including friendlies. and he has already scored 2, he will get better the playrs around him will get better at finding him etc.

The attacking footi can only get better. And just think add better footi to hard to beat, that there is title winning team material. Think on that negative people please.

Quick Reply