Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Athletics

Read 26590 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Re: Athletics
      Reply #46: Aug 09, 2017 02:31:06 pm
      Is this article fair? No smoke without fire? Or are people just looking for it - Gatlin fans desperate 'everyone's done it' claim, Bolt the inevitable victim of a sport riddled with doping scandal and innuendo?

https://medium.com/@tomnew/usain-bolt-lance-armstrong-and-the-duck-test-303b7b891e7e

I think all of the above (although I'd wager Gatlin doesn't have many "fans" past his family).

I've honestly never considered that Bolt was cheating...just always assumed that he was an amazingly gifted athlete. I did however wonder how Lance Armstrong was able to win an event like the TDF year after year with so many variables at play each year.

Could Bolt have been juicing....absolutely... what he was able to do was almost unrealistic and he supposedly did it while not being very focused on training or diet, and I wasn't aware of just how many Jamaicans have been caught cheating. To be close to the Americans is some feat considering how many athletes we have participating in any event.

Bolt was fun though and other than being a Manc fan, he seems like a good enough dude. So until there's some sort of evidence that he cheated....I'll enjoy the fact that I got to see him run.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #47: Aug 09, 2017 02:47:58 pm
      I think all of the above (although I'd wager Gatlin doesn't have many "fans" past his family).

I've honestly never considered that Bolt was cheating...just always assumed that he was an amazingly gifted athlete. I did however wonder how Lance Armstrong was able to win an event like the TDF year after year with so many variables at play each year.

Could Bolt have been juicing....absolutely... what he was able to do was almost unrealistic and he supposedly did it while not being very focused on training or diet, and I wasn't aware of just how many Jamaicans have been caught cheating. To be close to the Americans is some feat considering how many athletes we have participating in any event.

Bolt was fun though and other than being a Manc fan, he seems like a good enough dude. So until there's some sort of evidence that he cheated....I'll enjoy the fact that I got to see him run.

The majority of the implications are very much 'guilt by association' with particular focus on the less than ethical standards Jamaican athletics has applied itself to although narrowing it down to a focus on Bolt it's hard not to be intrigued by the remarkable performance increases by Bolt between 2007 and 2008. It would be devastating to athletics if it were somehow proved that Bolt had doped in the past, probably impacting the sport a hundred times greater than the Armstrong scandal. But I suppose that is the reality of athletics in that, like road cycling, you can never place that much faith in the winners and you always have to leave a bit of skepticism because of the all too familiar association with doping. Whether it's Chris Froome in road cycling or Bolt in athletics people are naturally always going to hold suspicion.
      « Last Edit: Aug 09, 2017 06:55:49 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #48: Aug 09, 2017 02:53:53 pm
      The majority of the implications are very much 'guilt by association' with particular focus on the less than ethical standards Jamaican athletics has applied itself to although narrowing it down to a focus on Bolt it's hard not to be intrigued by the remarkable performance increases by Bolt between 2007 and 2008. It would be devastating to athletics if it were somehow proved that Bolt had doped in the past, probably impacting the sport a hundred times greater than the Armstrong scandal. But I suppose that is the reality of athletics in that, like road cycling, you can never place that much faith in the winners and you always have to leave a bit of skepticism because of the all too familiar association with doping. No one, whether it's Chris Froome in road cycling or Bolt in athletics people are naturally always going to hold suspicion.

Yep, that's why there's not really many athletes I "hero worship" anymore.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #49: Aug 09, 2017 06:12:53 pm
      Is this article fair? No smoke without fire? Or are people just looking for it - Gatlin fans desperate 'everyone's done it' claim, Bolt the inevitable victim of a sport riddled with doping scandal and innuendo?

https://medium.com/@tomnew/usain-bolt-lance-armstrong-and-the-duck-test-303b7b891e7e

I have to admit the thought about Bolt and doping has crossed my mind briefly at times but I always put it out of my head pretty quickly and like to think he's a kind of beacon of hope for Athletics and a naturally gifted athlete.

Like FL says until proven otherwise that's how I go.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #50: Aug 09, 2017 09:59:55 pm
      Another great evening of Athletics finished off by a cracking win by Warholm in the 400 hurdles and a shock win by Phyllis Francis in the 400.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #51: Aug 10, 2017 12:45:13 pm
      Another great evening of Athletics finished off by a cracking win by Warholm in the 400 hurdles and a shock win by Phyllis Francis in the 400.

Yeah I'm stunned and very happy that a Norwegian has won a track medal, its been a very long time since that happened last, he won it fairly easily as well.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #52: Aug 10, 2017 06:04:11 pm
      Yeah I'm stunned and very happy that a Norwegian has won a track medal, its been a very long time since that happened last, he won it fairly easily as well.

I had a feeling he might win it mate and was telling my missus about him.

We were both screaming him on during the home straight.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,019 posts | 2741 
      Reply #53: Aug 12, 2017 10:03:42 pm
      Bolt injured and GB take 4 x 100 gold. Unbelievable.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #54: Aug 12, 2017 10:05:21 pm

Wonderful race and fully deserved win by our men  :gt-happyup:
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,596 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #55: Aug 12, 2017 10:11:00 pm

Hurray, well run GB.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #56: Aug 12, 2017 10:18:41 pm

What a run from our lads.

Great from the girls as well just before for the silver.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,019 posts | 2741 
      Reply #57: Aug 12, 2017 10:22:11 pm
      What a run from our lads.

Great from the girls as well just before for the silver.

Was incredible, Gemili ran an absolutely ridiculous leg especially. About time we had something to cheer after all those 4th places.

Amazing from the girls too like you said but I thought they'd faulted by straying into another lane - looks like we've got away with it though!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #58: Aug 12, 2017 11:58:37 pm
      Wow - what an effort! Reminds me of the time Britain came away with the gold in Athens in 2004 with Darren Campbell and co. Unexpected!
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #59: Jul 18, 2022 10:47:15 am
      Shelly Ann Pryce what a sprinting phenomenon.

Probably the GOAT female sprinter.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #60: Jul 20, 2022 10:09:21 am
      Shelly Ann Pryce what a sprinting phenomenon.

Probably the GOAT female sprinter.

She as good as Florence Griffith Joyner?

As that would be the greatest female sprinter I've seen.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #61: Jul 20, 2022 01:14:29 pm
      She as good as Florence Griffith Joyner?

As that would be the greatest female sprinter I've seen.

You think Flo Jo was clean?

I’m not convinced probably why she dropped dead.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #62: Jul 20, 2022 01:36:22 pm

Is any athlete really clean?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #63: Jul 20, 2022 06:50:06 pm
      Whitman upsetting Ingebrigtsen in the 1500, that's an amazing achievement. Good for him. Great race as well.

It's a shame Shelly Pryce has to run against someone that was banned from the 400m for too high of testosterone levels. It was going to be a great final between her and Abby Steiner. It's kind of overshadowed now.

andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #64: Jul 20, 2022 07:02:46 pm

She died in her sleep  through suffocating, due to an epileptic fit , a very good friend of mine suffered the same fate and hadn’t touched a steroid in his life , not saying she hadn’t , but that’s not what caused her untimely demise .
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #65: Jul 20, 2022 07:05:33 pm

Going off the list of substances actually banned you would have to think not , whether taking steroids or not you still have to put in an immense amount of work and sacrifice to get to the very top .
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #66: Jul 20, 2022 07:29:12 pm
      She died in her sleep  through suffocating, due to an epileptic fit , a very good friend of mine suffered the same fate and hadn’t touched a steroid in his life , not saying she hadn’t , but that’s not what caused her untimely demise .

She did indeed but still rather suspicious that she retired straight after mandatory testing was brought in.
      Her improvement in such a short time along with claims from someone who said he supplied her with anabolic steroids left a lot of unanswered questions.

andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #67: Jul 20, 2022 07:50:49 pm
      She did indeed but still rather suspicious that she retired straight after mandatory testing was brought in.
      Her improvement in such a short time along with claims from someone who said he supplied her with anabolic steroids left a lot of unanswered questions.

Well considering she was the most tested athlete that year , went through every test in place , never missed a test and passed them all , her record is good for me until proved otherwise , just because someone can’t beat your time dosent automatically make you a cheat , she got tested tested and tested again and came through them all , I’m sure in this day and age they would have dug some dirt if it was there , the same guy who supposedly saw her on the gear also said he saw Carl Lewis on it , obviously Ben Johnson had better sh*t , or Carl didn’t do it  never been a smear against him ,
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #68: Jul 20, 2022 09:18:42 pm
      Well considering she was the most tested athlete that year , went through every test in place , never missed a test and passed them all , her record is good for me until proved otherwise , just because someone can’t beat your time dosent automatically make you a cheat , she got tested tested and tested again and came through them all , I’m sure in this day and age they would have dug some dirt if it was there , the same guy who supposedly saw her on the gear also said he saw Carl Lewis on it , obviously Ben Johnson had better sh*t , or Carl didn’t do it  never been a smear against him ,

Everybody to themselves mate but nobody improves their 100m + 200m times in 6 months by over O.5s

BTW the East German and Russian athletes used to get tested  as well 🤣
      Pretty easy to mask in those days.

Quick Reply