Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      10 (6.3%)
      Dejan Lovren
      1 (0.6%)
      Joe Gomez
      53 (33.5%)
      Martin Skrtel
      30 (19%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      2 (1.3%)
      Lucas Leiva
      8 (5.1%)
      Emre Can
      4 (2.5%)
      James Milner
      12 (7.6%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      30 (19%)
      Christian Benteke
      8 (5.1%)
      Jordan Rossiter
      0 (0%)
      Jordon Ibe
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 152

Voting closed: Aug 28, 2015 09:54:59 pm

Arsenal 0-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Debate

Read 47163 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Re: Arsenal 0-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Debate
      Reply #736: Aug 25, 2015 02:20:58 pm
      To be fair I gave Skrtel man of the match, could have easily been Gomez, both had excellent games at the back, Benteke did very well linking up with Coutinho, in fact looking forward to seeing them linking up more.

Firmino looks like he still needs to get to full 100% match fitness, still looks a little bit off it and Emre Can looks fu**ed everytime he breaks into a sprint and head goes up his arse when the ball goes behind him, definitely not the defensive midfielder some of us thought he'd be just yet, maybe in the future, not yet!

First half we should of been 3-0 up - Coutinho's two efforts were brilliant and unlucky, especially as one was a good save from Cech and Benteke was equally unlucky, another good save from Cech.

What done my head in was the sitting back in the second half, when we should have pushed on from the end of the first half instead of allowing them onto us. Still a point at the emirates ain't a bad thing and considering most would of looked at the start of the season and looked at like a lost three points, then I'll take it and especially after last season's trip there!!
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #737: Aug 25, 2015 02:43:58 pm
      Watched the replay. Benteke, Skrtel, Mignolet and Gomez were superb. The rest were pretty average. Ibe was tip-toeing the whole time and so embarrassingly poor, a big time liability in this match. He must not play another game until he realiases how poor he has been.  Arse has one of the weakest defence in recent years and if BR had rehearsed the counter attack as what Rafa would do, Arse would have struggled big time.

Very disappointed with Firminho, 3 games into the season and he has not settled in yet. We're at 2nd spot at the moment so I'm happy.
      « Last Edit: Aug 25, 2015 03:01:33 pm by redkop63 »
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #738: Aug 25, 2015 03:45:44 pm
      2 defenders and the keeper taking almost 65% of the votes for our MOTM.

We'll take that to assume that most people on here think it was a point saved rather than two dropped.

I don't think so actually mate, I think it's a measure of how hard the keeper and defenders worked to keep ane xcellent attacking side in their ground at bay. They managed to slip through a few times but they do that agaist the best teams in Europe. Clean sheet away to Arsenal is soemting defence should be recognised for.

As for attack, we all know how frustrating it has been, but given we hit the bar twice, Benteke should have just put his laces through that Firminho cross and a couple of other very decent chances we didn't take, it's fair to assume we had a very good game. We gotta take our chances though.

I was generally quite pelased with the performance, if a little frustrated. I'm never happy not winning a game, but gotta say well doen to the lads, especially the defence considering how much they've improved.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #739: Aug 25, 2015 03:55:23 pm
      Watched the replay. Benteke, Skrtel, Mignolet and Gomez were superb. The rest were pretty average. Ibe was tip-toeing the whole time and so embarrassingly poor, a big time liability in this match. He must not play another game until he realiases how poor he has been.  Arse has one of the weakest defence in recent years and if BR had rehearsed the counter attack as what Rafa would do, Arse would have struggled big time.

Very disappointed with Firminho, 3 games into the season and he has not settled in yet. We're at 2nd spot at the moment so I'm happy.

Fine margins mate. If Coutinhos shot was an inch to the left, or if Cech hadn't been MOTM, we would be praising an excellent counter attacking strategy. As it was, we did the basics - organised defending- of such a plan, but couldn't convert a chance. However it was absolutely the right plan for Arsenal away, and we were very close to the perfect result. It's unfair on BR and the staff to say he should have practised counter attacking when that's probably exactly what happened at Melwood last week.

As for Firmino give the guy a chance. Hardly played in pre season and has had 2 sub appearances and 1 start. Theres been enough on show to suggest he could be very good.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #740: Aug 25, 2015 05:08:58 pm
      Sorry mate have to correct you.... We were Outstanding most of the time, at time we were hanging on

Defensively we were formidable and well organised, and in midfield we had industry and bite.

The captain was my man of the match. Intense work rate all over the pitch and battled away for 90 mins.

Commendable mentions to Mignolet who pulled off a couple of really good stops, and Gomez too who looks solid.
      I agree with most of what you have said my only correction here is to add Gomez was Impressive and handled BellerĂ­n well,
       I understand why you choose Milner as your motm but for that honour has to go to Lucas, After so little game time and the lack of match fitness he put in a solid display against one of the best midfield in the Perm' and this from a player that I have never really rated.

Benteke - don't know how he missed that opportunity really. He needs to be more clinical than that. His overall game was decent but he just lacked the pass and awareness on a couple of occasions to play a final ball.

Agree, but also felt he needed some running beyond him for the knock downs, too often he was heading the ball back to a Liverpool shirt instead of forward to one

Firminho, don't think he really offered us much but that was quite a baptism of fire for him to be thrown into, as such.

Thought he was really good for 25 mins, but then lost his way a bit, and was looking jaded after 40 mins or so, but I really liked what I saw in those 25 mins or so. Can wait until he is fit

Mignolet: 8
      Clyne: 7
      Skertel: 7
      Lovren: 7
      Gomez: 8
      Milner: 8
      Lucas: 7
      Can: 7
      Coutinho: 7
      Firminho: 6
      Benteke: 7

I can't fault you much here except to say that I would award Lucas a cheeky 8.5  ;D

Overall, we should have won. Arsenal should have been tested more in the second half as they looked pokey at the back. Content with a point. And the lads can take a lot of heart and confidence from that game.

Although we failed to win all 3 points I take heart in that neither did Arsenal and while we sit in 3rd place both Arsenal and Chelsea sit 9th and 10th respectively 3 points behind us
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,297 posts | 765 
      Reply #741: Aug 25, 2015 05:33:49 pm
      Quite a game for a nil nil draw, in the first half could of been at least a couple of goals up. Too many chances waste, in the second half Arsenal came back into the game and could have snatched all three points.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,241 posts | 921 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #742: Aug 25, 2015 06:12:44 pm
      Thought we played very well last night, the Two full backs were outstanding, the only worry we didn't score
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #743: Aug 25, 2015 06:33:37 pm
      cant remember the last time our Defence and Goalie looked so solid. I voted for Gomez because i thought all things considered he was outstanding not even in his prefered position and 18 years old. Cline too was really solid going both ways.Mig is now better than he has been since his arrival and the two CB's seem to at last got a partnership going.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,548 posts | 726 
      Reply #744: Aug 25, 2015 07:02:39 pm

Just shows how much you know about football fella,
      Hendo is our captain,  milner is vice both appointed by Brendan our manager,you might have heard if him,

Milner captained last night cos Hendo was injured, you know not fit to play,
      He, Milner is vastly experienced and leads by example his words of encouragement and advice rang out the whole match as Lovren stated in his post match interview,

It's is without doubt we drew with Arse by competing as a unit from back to front led by James milner,

Get off his back, ffs, he was pivotal last night and will be again throughout this season.

Fantastic player, brilliant signing imo.

YNWA

I know henderson is our captain. talk about stating the obvious.

I know a few things about football.

I know Milner wasn't a regular for city and came to us because he had a better chance of getting first team football.

I know when City came knocking for sterling it was a 'no brainer' for him because the perception is that they are a far bigger club, looking to do BIG THINGS.

I know if I was a younger player like Gomez or Coutinho, seeing a guy would couldn't get into the city team come right in and be vice captain as a sign of where we are as a club.

There is more than one way to be a leader. Shouting and directing is one way. Some players lead silently, some lead by example. British think 'passion' and 'hard tackles' as a sign of leadership.

Milner could still do what he does and contribute without the captain's armband.

You can't tell me Coutinho doesn't lead in the way that he plays.

'experience' and 'winning' things clearly hasn't been a factor for our last 2 captains. Gerrard was young when he was named captain. What has hendo won?

I'm not denying Milner is a fine, experienced, hard-working midfielder.

I'm saying buying a city cast off and making him captain/vice captain is Spurs & Villa territory. If we want to compete with the top 4 and keep our top young players it's not a good look. Perception wise. If you can't see that then that's fine. But it's bleeding obvious.

GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1526 
      Reply #745: Aug 25, 2015 07:39:40 pm
      Understand your feelings about Milner pastor geek, but he wasn't actually a city cast off. He ran his contract down so he could leave for regular game time. He was offered s contract, but turned it down to join us on lesser money.
      Whatever you see as the politics of his move, he's the physical presence in mid field we have lacked. He will allow the likes of courinho and firminho to play to their strengths when they get up to full steam, knowing there is a good solid bit of cover behind them.
      Wether or not he should have the armband is irrelevant to me, so long as it doesn't cause any upsets in the changing room.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #746: Aug 25, 2015 07:48:09 pm

I know Milner wasn't a regular for city and came to us because he had a better chance of getting first team football.

I know when City came knocking for sterling it was a 'no brainer' for him because the perception is that they are a far bigger club, looking to do BIG THINGS.

I know if I was a younger player like Gomez or Coutinho, seeing a guy would couldn't get into the city team come right in and be vice captain as a sign of where we are as a club.

There is more than one way to be a leader. Shouting and directing is one way. Some players lead silently, some lead by example. British think 'passion' and 'hard tackles' as a sign of leadership.

Milner could still do what he does and contribute without the captain's armband.

'experience' and 'winning' things clearly hasn't been a factor for our last 2 captains. Gerrard was young when he was named captain. What has hendo won?

I'm saying buying a city cast off and making him captain/vice captain is Spurs & Villa territory. If we want to compete with the top 4 and keep our top young players it's not a good look. Perception wise. If you can't see that then that's fine. But it's bleeding obvious.

Wtf is this post about?

In what universe are Manc City a far bigger club than Liverpool? I know a lot of City fans and the honest ones of that group will admit that they're not a bigger club. They may have a better team but there aren't many clubs bigger than ours.

Why would Gomez have that thought process? I'm pretty sure the young lad is just concentrating on improving his game and getting more game time. He comes across as a lad that feels priviliged to be playing and not somebody who questions who the captain and vice-captain are at the tender age of 18.

Nobody is saying that Coutinho doesn't lead by example but he isn't a natural leader in a sense. When the discussion arose of who the vice-captain will be I immediately thought either Milner or Lucas.

You contradicted yourself when you brought up Gerrard. You said Gerrard had won nothing before he became captain but do you not remember what happened in 2001? I'm guessing you wasn't around supporting the club then eh? Henderson has won next to F**k all but if that's the only criteria you're going off then why do you think Coutinho should be captain? Also, if winning trophies is the only criteria you're working off then Milner should be made captain, surely?

You've come up with the most bullshit post I've seen in a while and there's been a few WUMs on here lately. Since when did perception matter or have a direct influence on a club achieving certain goals and winning trophies? The answer is it never has done. Are you honestly saying that our best young players will want to leave because a good leader in Milner is vice-captain? You're drunk man!

lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #747: Aug 25, 2015 07:48:47 pm
      Quote from Vicks86
      What a fu**ed up logic! Its all about assuming responsibility. There have been players who wilted under the pressure of captaincy, not knowing what to do/communicate/direct during crunch games. Just bcos you've served longer doesn't earn you the merit of being the vice-captain/captain.

Milner knows what it takes to win. And by no means he was a cast off. City were piss poor last season in the midfield.

Back on topic, he was vital yesterday in midfield to stifle Sanchez and Ozil, esp in the second half. Near-faultless display yet again!

Milner is a league champion, and multiple medallist. He has the experience, the leadership, the ability to delegate, take responsibility and be assertive. Henderson is a midfielder. He caved in to Balotelli 6 months ago over a penalty ffs. He may physically have the armband, but he is not a leader, never mind a proper captain.

We have lost the last three games at Arsenal. The last 4 games have seen 10 goals go in our net. We should be happy to get a result out of it, not complaining that we didn't win.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #748: Aug 25, 2015 07:59:46 pm
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,938 posts | 4994 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #749: Aug 25, 2015 08:07:04 pm

Mate, with all due respect stop talking out of your turd tunnel,
      Do you honestly think our younger lads will whinge and moan because a vastly more experienced player jumps ahead in the captaincy stakes,

f***in behave yourself, such petulance doesn't belong in a adult world never mind a professional changing room,

You believe what you want fella, but in all honesty it makes you look like a tool.

YNWA

DanMann

• 5,756 posts | 884 
      Reply #750: Aug 25, 2015 08:07:07 pm
      Exactly. Sick of all the game reports today talking about the legitimate goal... and how we were lucky not to have lost.

It can be argued, but it's not 100%. Marginal... and the call could have gone either way. That photo shows the way I see it.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #751: Aug 25, 2015 08:12:35 pm
      Wouldn't mind seeing Ings getting a run out against West Ham next week to be honest, but when you look at how last nights starting XI performed, realistically who do you drop ?

Last nights Starting XI for me have earned the right to start against West Ham with their performances all around the pitch, it should be up to the others including Henderson to force their way back in to the team.

Yeah.. who do you drop?..

Would I be over the top in suggesting Benteke?... not necessarily on Saturday but certainly as the weeks go by and the fixtures pile up.

Ings and Firmino up top sounds alright to me.. as does Sturridge and Ings..

We can't expect Benteke to be our lone top man all season can we?

If Ings doesn't get a look in between now and January I reckon he'll be off...would you want to sit on your arse week in week out?

Just a thought like...

AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #752: Aug 25, 2015 08:15:42 pm
      Don't know the fuss regarding Milner.

He has slotted right in with this club and his teammates, indeed what he has done in the league gives him instant credibility.

The manager chose him as vice-captain

When the captain is not on the pitch the vice-captain takes his place.

End of story.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,548 posts | 726 
      Reply #753: Aug 25, 2015 08:15:45 pm
      Wtf is this post about?

In what universe are Manc City a far bigger club than Liverpool? I know a lot of City fans and the honest ones of that group will admit that they're not a bigger club. They may have a better team but there aren't many clubs bigger than ours.

Why would Gomez have that thought process?

The universe in which Sterling and Suarez were willing to leave us for city and arsenal(barring being convinced to stay 1 more year) aka the real world.

ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #754: Aug 25, 2015 08:18:43 pm
      The universe in which Sterling and Suarez were willing to leave us for city and arsenal(barring being convinced to stay 1 more year) aka the real world.

Liverpool are, and always will be a bigger club than City!
      Call yourself a Liverpool supporter? F***ing embarrassment you are!
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,548 posts | 726 
      Reply #755: Aug 25, 2015 08:22:10 pm

You've come up with the most bullshit post I've seen in a while and there's been a few WUMs on here lately. Since when did perception matter or have a direct influence on a club achieving certain goals and winning trophies? The answer is it never has done. Are you honestly saying that our best young players will want to leave because a good leader in Milner is vice-captain? You're drunk man!

Since when did perception matter or have a direct influence on a club achieving certain goals and winning trophies?

It matters when your best players want to leave you for said rivals.

Are you honestly saying that our best young players will want to leave because a good leader in Milner is vice-captain?

I'm saying if we have young ambitious players who want to win, they will leave for perceived bigger / more ambitious clubs when they come knocking. Perception does affect that. When a squad player from a 'Top 4' club comes to us to get more regular first team football and instantly gets the vice captain role. It makes the team look like a level below. I don't think it's that hard to understand.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #756: Aug 25, 2015 08:23:33 pm

Oh you mean bigger financially then you daft c**t.

City and Arsenal will never be a truly world renowned team until they've won at least one European Cup.

FACT!!
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #757: Aug 25, 2015 08:28:19 pm
      Personally don't think Phil gives a flying F**k about who is captain/vice-captain; he might be silently happy that it is one less thing he has to deal with seeing on how anything that happens on the offensive side of the pitch goes through him.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,548 posts | 726 
      Reply #758: Aug 25, 2015 08:35:07 pm
      Liverpool are, and always will be a bigger club than City!
      Call yourself a Liverpool supporter? F***ing embarrassment you are!

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/perception

Blind loyalty aside. Perception is an important factor.

Whether you'd like to admit it or not 2 of our best players were willing to leave us to city and arsenal in the last 2 seasons. This is reality folks

even if we have to tighten our purse strings and or buy 'younger' players. its not a good look that with skrtel, lucas and coutinho on the pitch milner just walks in and gets the armband imo.

Quick Reply