Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Lazar Markovic (Fenerbahçe - loan)

Read 13227 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Lazar Markovic (Fenerbahçe - loan)
      Aug 27, 2015 09:53:37 pm
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Re: Lazar Markovic (Fenerbahçe - loan)
      Reply #1: Aug 27, 2015 09:57:14 pm
      Nice waste of 20m there, doubt we'll ever see him in a Liverpool shirt again now.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,652 posts | 3920 
      Reply #2: Aug 27, 2015 10:13:55 pm
      He was useless last season.

Will losing him have a negative impact on our season? No chance.

Hope he smashes it out there and comes back a top player.
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,868 posts | 165 
      Reply #3: Aug 27, 2015 10:16:34 pm
      I wonder how much of his wages we'll be paying.   ???
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #4: Aug 27, 2015 10:18:54 pm
      It surprises me but also doesn't at the same time as our squad is pretty big. His opportunities have been few and far between and I'm not sure why other players keep getting game time but he doesn't. The only time he got game time was at right wing back which is ridiculous.

Ibe, Coutinho, Lallana and Firmino are our remaining attacking midfielders so we're not exactly thin on the ground and with Sturridge coming back soon (fingers crossed) the manager may opt to go 2 up top. As long as he's going to get game time and he's not going to chill on the bench every week then it's not a bad deal for all parties.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #5: Aug 27, 2015 10:35:50 pm
      Unusual... okay.

I guess we're not going to be playing him anyway.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #6: Aug 27, 2015 10:36:03 pm
      Markovic is only 21 but at the age where he needs regular first team football to mature as a footballer.

There is a top player in there so let's hope he has a stormer of a season in Turkey and makes a statement of intent to be made part of Brendan's first team plans next season.
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #7: Aug 27, 2015 10:40:46 pm
      Markovic is only 21 but at the age where he needs regular first team football to mature as a footballer.

There is a top player in there so let's hope he has a stormer of a season in Turkey and makes a statement of intent to be made part of Brendan's first team plans next season.

Agree with all but when do they ever really come back after 20mil was spent on them then treated like sh*te. So strange he never got his chance.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #8: Aug 27, 2015 10:51:24 pm
      Agree with all but when do they ever really come back after 20mil was spent on them then treated like sh*te. So strange he never got his chance.

I think Brendan feels Ibe is learning faster than Lazar and as he wants both players to play regularly this season he had to make a call on which one to send out on loan.

This will be a make or break season for Lazar's future with us. If he takes the Turkish league by storm then Brendan will have no excuse not to play him next season. Then we will really know if the lad was ever given a fair chance.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #9: Aug 27, 2015 11:02:51 pm
      I understand the need for him to get minutes, but I think this is a bit of an odd move. Let him those minutes here by playing the full 90 in Europa and League Cup in his natural position.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #10: Aug 27, 2015 11:06:40 pm
      I think Brendan feels Ibe is learning faster than Lazar and as he wants both players to play regularly this season he had to make a call on which one to send out on loan.

This will be a make or break season for Lazar's future with us. If he takes the Turkish league by storm then Brendan will have no excuse not to play him next season. Then we will really know if the lad was ever given a fair chance.

The worrying thing is, when you look at Ibe's form, then that makes the attacking options more vulnerable if Markovic is gone.

I'm very surprised and disappointed at Markovic going on loan - I thought he could do a job for us in the Europa League in particular. I really don't think Brendan's given the lad a proper chance. It's not his fault that a culmination of f**k ups in last season led to him being forced into a position at right back or right wing, when naturally he plays better in the middle, which he was never given a chance at.

He won us that match at Sunderland, looked decent and that home match against Basle where he impressed off the bench (before being sent off) to the point I think his impact could have seen us turn things around in that game.

Mightily disappointed in the way the club have handled him since arriving to the club.

The question now is who will deputise for him. Off the top off my head we have Coutinho, Firmino, Lallana, Ibe. Considering three of those four start, isn't that pretty thin on the ground? Unless we give the youth like Teixera a shot?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #11: Aug 27, 2015 11:08:31 pm
      I understand the need for him to get minutes, but I think this is a bit of an odd move. Let him those minutes here by playing the full 90 in Europa and League Cup in his natural position.

If he's to develop properly then he needs more games than that. I'd still prefer to have loaned out Ibe.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #12: Aug 27, 2015 11:11:47 pm
      It's a bizaare situation where a season later, the manager has Jordan Rossiter in his first team plans (naturally delighted for that) whereas a £20 million signing of last summer can't. Would have believed it to be roles reversed.

A scathing indictment from Brendan on the committee there.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #13: Aug 27, 2015 11:12:33 pm
      Well that's out of the blue, I hope it's not £20M spunked up the wall.
      Probably a case for Ibe going out on loan before Lazar, all very strange.
      « Last Edit: Aug 27, 2015 11:22:42 pm by HScRed1 »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #14: Aug 27, 2015 11:47:19 pm

Agree.

I think there would have been enough games before January to see ho he developed.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #15: Aug 28, 2015 12:09:42 am
      Agree.

I think there would have been enough games before January to see ho he developed.

Same here. Surprised and to be honest a wee bit disappointed about this. I think he has a hell of a lot of potential and is tremendously gifted. I would have loved to see him improve and in the process shut the doubters up. Now I doubt whether we'll ever see him in our shirt again. I think the board and management would happily take around 15m for him.

I hope we haven't been too hasty. I fear we have.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #16: Aug 28, 2015 02:25:32 am
      LFC was a gigantic move for young Lazar. Let's try to put all the simplistic bullshit to the side, like "we spent 20 mil and he was good for Benfica so logically he should be better than Ibe who is an academy player" - the fact is he's a kid just like Ibe, but he comes from a totally different place and we can see the fragility in Markovic, he isn't some Suarez from the streets. Obviously a loan back to a "lesser" league shows us how daunting the move has probably been and how he needs a season to regain confidence in himself, knowing he is a Liverpool player with a Liverpool future IF he gets it right.

The good news is we should be getting a replacement in for this season. I am pretty excited about that. It should be someone mature ready to make an impact. I hope we get someone real classy.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #17: Aug 28, 2015 02:28:44 am
      LFC was a gigantic move for young Lazar. Let's try to put all the simplistic bullshit to the side, like "we spent 20 mil and he was good for Benfica so logically he should be better than Ibe who is an academy player" - the fact is he's a kid just like Ibe, but he comes from a totally different place and we can see the fragility in Markovic, he isn't some Suarez from the streets. Obviously a loan back to a "lesser" league shows us how daunting the move has probably been and how he needs a season to regain confidence in himself, knowing he is a Liverpool player with a Liverpool future IF he gets it right.

The good news is we should be getting a replacement in for this season. I am pretty excited about that. It should be someone mature ready to make an impact. I hope we get someone real classy.

Certainly something that many fans take for granted. There's significantly more pressure on young Marko to perform than there ever is on Ibe. Hopefully a season away will do him some good, must say though that I really wish it wasn't in Turkey. Really won't do him much good there, and I think that if some lesser PL clubs knew he was available for a loan, they may have snapped him up depending on the wages. Would've been much better off. Or even a loan back to the Portuguese league.
      harrydunn08

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #18: Aug 28, 2015 03:31:29 am
      I'm not really all that surprised. I just hope he does well on his loan so we can recoup some of the money spent on him because I can't see him ever playing for us again.....
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #19: Aug 28, 2015 04:42:33 am
      He won't be a bad signing. Only Rafa made bad signings in the EPL according to the media.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #20: Aug 28, 2015 06:09:24 am
      So, who will be held reponsible for absolutely wasting 20 mil on him ?

BTW he was never being played in his natural position. He scored some goals, and really showed potential, what a disaster.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #21: Aug 28, 2015 06:56:45 am
      andy carroll was a disaster. loaning out a 20 year old isn't. calm your knickers little girl
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,281 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #22: Aug 28, 2015 08:22:32 am
      Too bad,he rarely played in his natural position and id no get a real chance to show what he could do.I hope i will see him back in the Reds shirt again.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #23: Aug 28, 2015 08:32:27 am
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #24: Aug 28, 2015 08:45:39 am
      Too bad,he rarely played in his natural position and id no get a real chance to show what he could do.I hope i will see him back in the Reds shirt again.

Agreed, there is a general trend with those that are considered 'committee' signings that they aren't exactly given the chances that Brendan's obvious choices are. I can understand this, it seems natural but the list is growing and growing.

Now of course people will suggest that the 'committee' signings weren't good enough and at the end of the day it may prove to be the case, we've sure as sh*t signed a lot of what appears low standard players.

All players thrive on confidence from their manager, when they're bought for £20m+ they probably expect to be given the chances in their natural position to show their worth. Markovic certainly played like a player short on confidence to me and, while I'm not saying it's the only contributing factor, Brendan's handling of him, both in playing him out of position and the constant early subs, would have done nothing to help that.

I believe Lazar has all the attributes to be a decent player, he was one of the best talents in Europe before he came here and it's a worry for me to see these kinds of patterns repeating themselves. If we'd been winning because of these methods then I'd worry a lot less.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #25: Aug 28, 2015 08:48:46 am
      Why not loaning him out to an EPL side ? What's the point in loaning him to a piss poor league ?
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,281 posts | 79 
      Reply #26: Aug 28, 2015 08:50:06 am
      Agreed, there is a general trend with those that are considered 'committee' signings that they aren't exactly given the chances that Brendan's obvious choices are. I can understand this, it seems natural but the list is growing and growing.

Now of course people will suggest that the 'committee' signings weren't good enough and at the end of the day it may prove to be the case, we've sure as sh*t signed a lot of what appears low standard players.

All players thrive on confidence from their manager, when they're bought for £20m+ they probably expect to be given the chances in their natural position to show their worth. Markovic certainly played like a player short on confidence to me and, while I'm not saying it's the only contributing factor, Brendan's handling of him, both in playing him out of position and the constant early subs, would have done nothing to help that.

I believe Lazar has all the attributes to be a decent player, he was one of the best talents in Europe before he came here and it's a worry for me to see these kinds of patterns repeating themselves. If we'd been winning because of these methods then I'd worry a lot less.
      If thats any consolation to him(it is not) but he is not the only player that was out of position last season,i mean Can played as a right back for F**k sake.I hope he will have a good season in Turkey and maybe if he comes back he gets a decent chance in Liverpool.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #27: Aug 28, 2015 08:52:47 am
      Whether he's a committee signing or not, whoever is the manager at the time a player signs ultimately takes the credit or ridicule for his success. Markovic is obviously a talented footballer, but equally obviously at this stage he's worth nowhere near 20 million quid. It's probably doubtful he ever will be IMHO, and Brendan must do significantly better than this in the market.

Fortunately so far this season the acquisitions appear better. I am personally a little unsure about Firmino yet, and I'm very unsure about Origi, but mixed in there are some top buys.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #28: Aug 28, 2015 09:08:21 am
      Awful signing and and awful season. One great game against Sunderland is all he had to show for it.

Hope we can half of what we paid for him eventually.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #29: Aug 28, 2015 09:10:17 am
      Smells a bit of Rodgers v committee signing losing out here.

Marko has more talent and a higher ceiling than Lallana and is shoehorned into the team at every single opportunity!
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #30: Aug 28, 2015 09:11:34 am
      Whether he's a committee signing or not, whoever is the manager at the time a player signs ultimately takes the credit or ridicule for his success. Markovic is obviously a talented footballer, but equally obviously at this stage he's worth nowhere near 20 million quid. It's probably doubtful he ever will be IMHO, and Brendan must do significantly better than this in the market.

Fortunately so far this season the acquisitions appear better. I am personally a little unsure about Firmino yet, and I'm very unsure about Origi, but mixed in there are some top buys.

Agreed with this year appearing to be an excellent set of lads, this window is looking that good it could even rival the Sturridge / Coutinho window (only due to Studge's injury problems). Clyne looks first class, Gomez looks potentially the best of the bunch and Milner is, for a free, a fantastic bit of business.
      Benteke is quickly winning me around with each performance and I really like Firmino, even though we're yet to see much in a red shirt, I know it's there.

I also agree that managers are fully culpable no matter how the signings come about, the only reason I worry about it is that I personally believe if Markovic were given the same chances that Lallana has we'd currently be sending Adam out on loan and be left with a real gem rather than being unconvinced by both. Of course I could well be wrong on that, I often am, but it's what I believe.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,281 posts | 79 
      Reply #31: Aug 28, 2015 09:28:32 am
      Awful signing and and awful season. One great game against Sunderland is all he had to show for it.

That was a good signing awfully managed by BR.
      He newer got a real chance and when he got it he was usually played out of his natural position,so we should not blame him for not showing what he can do.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #32: Aug 28, 2015 09:36:25 am

And this is showing what exactly?

Smells a bit of Rodgers v committee signing losing out here.

Marko has more talent and a higher ceiling than Lallana and is shoehorned into the team at every single opportunity!

This is one of the points I was getting at last night when I said that others who aren't showing much either are still getting regular game time.

I'd prefer to bring him back next season and see if he's improved. He is only 20 after all.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #33: Aug 28, 2015 09:37:36 am
      Agreed with this year appearing to be an excellent set of lads, this window is looking that good it could even rival the Sturridge / Coutinho window (only due to Studge's injury problems). Clyne looks first class, Gomez looks potentially the best of the bunch and Milner is, for a free, a fantastic bit of business.
      Benteke is quickly winning me around with each performance and I really like Firmino, even though we're yet to see much in a red shirt, I know it's there.

I also agree that managers are fully culpable no matter how the signings come about, the only reason I worry about it is that I personally believe if Markovic were given the same chances that Lallana has we'd currently be sending Adam out on loan and be left with a real gem rather than being unconvinced by both. Of course I could well be wrong on that, I often am, but it's what I believe.

Cup half full comes to mind.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #34: Aug 28, 2015 10:41:16 am
      Doesn't make sense no matter how you look at it, we have cup games and all it takes is an injury or two and then we'll be wondering where the options have went. It's also adding pressure on Ibe. Can't believe this crap.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #35: Aug 28, 2015 10:45:16 am
      Doesn't make sense no matter how you look at it, we have cup games and all it takes is an injury or two and then we'll be wondering where the options have went. It's also adding pressure on Ibe. Can't believe this crap.

Wage bills seem a priority to team strength.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #36: Aug 28, 2015 11:01:00 am
      Queue the doom sayers.

I will try a positive spin.

Marko needs to play regularly to be at his best, he is young, we have decided giev him a loan, if he plays well out there, he will come back a better player.

Where's the problem, he is way down the pecking order with us.

I thought he might get games in Europa, but I can see us playing most of the 1st team in that, its a very important comp. that leaves eraly rounds of league and FA cup, not many games.

Good luck to him.

Maybe 1 more thing, he mibees asked for the loan himself.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #37: Aug 28, 2015 11:04:17 am
      Thought he would have come in handy, what with the UEFA Cup and all that. Also, given the fact Ibe and Lallana have both been ordinary to put it politely, I would have thought having him around may give us the kind of options we need.

Not convinced of Markovic either personally, but I think it would be worth a shot to give him a run in the UEFA; just to see if that brings out his confidence given the hype that surrounded him when we bought him.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #38: Aug 28, 2015 11:19:45 am
      We play 4-3-3 right.

Have to fit in these strikers \ forwards. Assuming they not in the central 3, that will be from Hendo, Milner, lucas, can, allen & rossitor.

so these guys...

Studger
      Benteke
      Firmino
      Ings
      Origi
      Lallana
      Ibe
      Coutinho
      Marko

who drops out for marko ?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #39: Aug 28, 2015 11:22:49 am
      Thought he would have come in handy, what with the UEFA Cup and all that. Also, given the fact Ibe and Lallana have both been ordinary to put it politely, I would have thought having him around may give us the kind of options we need.

Not convinced of Markovic either personally, but I think it would be worth a shot to give him a run in the UEFA; just to see if that brings out his confidence given the hype that surrounded him when we bought him.

Is correct mate.
      Can't help but think there is a none football related issue affecting the decision to limit the manager's options with the EUFA cup on the itinerary.
      Irrespective of people's opinion on Markovic that is the crux of the matter.
      As the season progresses we will be stretched in the Prem and the manager will be asked to field his strongest side for a European tournament, not an appealing prospect.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #40: Aug 28, 2015 11:28:45 am
      We play 4-3-3 right.

Have to fit in these strikers \ forwards. Assuming they not in the central 3, that will be from Hendo, Milner, lucas, can, allen & rossitor.

so these guys...

Studger
      Benteke
      Firmino
      Ings
      Origi
      Lallana
      Ibe
      Coutinho
      Marko

who drops out for marko ?

We may not have the luxury of choice.
      Some on that list are way off automatic selection and the possibility of injury to the key players mentioned mean the bigger the choice of replacement, the better.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #41: Aug 28, 2015 11:32:07 am
      We may not have the luxury of choice.
      Some on that list are way off automatic selection and the possibility of injury to the key players mentioned mean the bigger the choice of replacement, the better.

mibees aye, but Id say Ings & Origi are ahead of Marko out of ones not started a game yet, and obv studger will walk back into team.

Could argue Ibe for Marko.

Anyway decision made, I try not to get too worked up about players leaving or going on loan, unless they are homegrown lads.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #42: Aug 28, 2015 12:44:47 pm
      Of all the Suarez money spent on attacking talent only Lallana left and you could argue he is not a first choice.

Scandalous waste of money and opportunity to develop the first team!
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #43: Aug 28, 2015 01:57:58 pm
      Hasn't produced for us since arriving for a chunk of change ... and if we weren't in the Europa, I'd have no problem moving him on. But we ARE in the Europa, we have the league cup, games on a Thurs ... we need to use the squad, so I'd have kept him purely for those matches.  Allen is injured, Hendo has a niggle. We need backup in midfield. Would also give him a 2nd season to show something ... but looks like he'll get the chance somewhere else ...
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #44: Aug 28, 2015 03:35:01 pm
      Lallana is far worse than Markovic, at least this lad can run.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #45: Aug 28, 2015 04:03:20 pm
      Lallana is far worse than Markovic, at least this lad can run.

If running is the prerequisite then Lallana wins. Comfortably the harder worker.

Markovic hasn't made the bench in the first couple weeks. It's clear Brendan doesn't want him. People will have their theories because they live in tin foil hats but when someone is sh*te, they deserve to be moved on.

I hope he can find some form and return a quality player but, in my opinion, i don't think he's capable of being good enough based on last season.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #46: Aug 28, 2015 04:33:16 pm
      If running is the prerequisite then Lallana wins. Comfortably the harder worker.

Markovic hasn't made the bench in the first couple weeks. It's clear Brendan doesn't want him. People will have their theories because they live in tin foil hats but when someone is sh*te, they deserve to be moved on.

I hope he can find some form and return a quality player but, in my opinion, i don't think he's capable of being good enough based on last season.

I'm sure if Lallana, Firmino or Coutinho were asked to play as wing backs they would have been sh*te.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #47: Aug 28, 2015 05:00:06 pm
      I'm sure if Lallana, Firmino or Coutinho were asked to play as wing backs they would have been sh*te.

Coutinho has played centre mid, on the left, on the right and even as striker and still looked terrific. But it's not that i'm worried about. It's his actual ability on the ball.

I'm basing my opinion on Lazar from last season because i wasn't blessed to watch him at Benfica or Partizan. He is quick with the ball and that is it. He can't pass, can't shoot, and he runs in to dead ends every time unless the defence opens up in front of him.

He's not a smart player, and he doesn't make up for his lack of creativity with any sort of hard work or pressure on the opposition.

He is a poor footballer who cost a lot of money. You might think otherwise, which is fair enough, but all i can judge is on what i have seen.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #48: Aug 28, 2015 05:22:24 pm
      Coutinho has played centre mid, on the left, on the right and even as striker and still looked terrific. But it's not that i'm worried about. It's his actual ability on the ball.

I'm basing my opinion on Lazar from last season because i wasn't blessed to watch him at Benfica or Partizan. He is quick with the ball and that is it. He can't pass, can't shoot, and he runs in to dead ends every time unless the defence opens up in front of him.

He's not a smart player, and he doesn't make up for his lack of creativity with any sort of hard work or pressure on the opposition.

He is a poor footballer who cost a lot of money. You might think otherwise, which is fair enough, but all i can judge is on what i have seen.

How can you judge Markovic on factors such as:

*Bad signings like Balotelli destabilising the squad
      *As a result, the manager's constant change in tactics and formation (too many changes last season for my liking)
      *Which resulted in him being played as a wing back, or restricted out wide
      *Never being given a role in his ideal position
      *Never got a good run out in the squad
      *Finally, as a 21 year old, surely its only fair to give him leeway in taking time to adapt to the Premier League

There were sh*t performers last season - far greater concerns over the performances of some players than Markovic, there's no need to scapegoat him as a reason. I watched him play in the Europa League for Benfica prior to coming to Liverpool, and he was excellent - particularly against Tottenham at White Heart Lane. You cannot judge a player properly who is so low on confidence, arriving in a completely different league and being forced out of position time and time and time again.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #49: Aug 28, 2015 05:23:32 pm
      Of all the Suarez money spent on attacking talent only Lallana left and you could argue he is not a first choice.

Scandalous waste of money and opportunity to develop the first team!

Whoever was directing how the Suarez fee was spent must shoulder the blame for signing potential to replace genius.
      siavashiva
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 811 posts | 113 
      Reply #50: Aug 28, 2015 05:29:32 pm
      Never understood this signing in the first place and was skeptical throughout the whole process. He didn't even look good in his obligatory Youtube videos.

Terrible signing. Average player. He will find his level at Turkey and we will move on.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #51: Aug 28, 2015 06:12:07 pm
      Never understood this signing in the first place and was skeptical throughout the whole process. He didn't even look good in his obligatory Youtube videos.

Terrible signing. Average player. He will find his level at Turkey and we will move on.

Bit harsh. A 19 year old who makes the EL team of the season clearly has a lot of potential. He may or may not fullfil that potential but there is definitely talent in there.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #52: Aug 28, 2015 07:41:00 pm
      Another of last seasons shocker of a transfer window to be leaving the club then. To think, he cost £1mill less than Pedro.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #53: Aug 28, 2015 10:11:59 pm
      To think, he cost £1mill less than Pedro.

Pretty stark alright.

Can only hope he finds some kahunas on his loan spell and comes back a prospect ...
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #54: Aug 28, 2015 10:16:26 pm
      Bit harsh. A 19 year old who makes the EL team of the season clearly has a lot of potential. He may or may not fullfil that potential but there is definitely talent in there.

Totally agree
      A loan out is a good move for him
      Only wish it had been within the premiership.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #55: Aug 28, 2015 11:35:32 pm
      Can't say I have seen much evidence of how wonderful a player Markovic is. Huge disappointment so far. At least he is young enough to hold out some hope for, but more likely he will be yet another player that is quietly sold off for a huge loss.   

It would probably have been better to just give Suarez to Barca and ask them could they give him back when they have finished with him, than to sign the players we signed in his stead :)
      « Last Edit: Aug 29, 2015 12:36:29 am by s@int »
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #56: Aug 28, 2015 11:56:22 pm
      Pretty stark alright.

Can only hope he finds some kahunas on his loan spell and comes back a prospect ...

It's an odd one, he looked quite decent in pre-season and seemed to find a bit of confidence by being played in a more natural position but now he's a forgotten man. Personally I have never really rated him as good enough for what we paid so I'm not going to lose any sleep over him going but it's just another indication of just how badly the club went about transfers last season and I don't think we will ever understand why we are willing to pay such a fee for the likes of Markovic but wont go for the likes of Pedro. who is cheaper than Lallana and basically the same price as Lovren, Markovic etc.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #57: Aug 29, 2015 02:47:34 am
      How can you judge Markovic on factors such as:

*Bad signings like Balotelli destabilising the squad
      *As a result, the manager's constant change in tactics and formation (too many changes last season for my liking)
      *Which resulted in him being played as a wing back, or restricted out wide
      *Never being given a role in his ideal position
      *Never got a good run out in the squad
      *Finally, as a 21 year old, surely its only fair to give him leeway in taking time to adapt to the Premier League

There were sh*t performers last season - far greater concerns over the performances of some players than Markovic, there's no need to scapegoat him as a reason. I watched him play in the Europa League for Benfica prior to coming to Liverpool, and he was excellent - particularly against Tottenham at White Heart Lane. You cannot judge a player properly who is so low on confidence, arriving in a completely different league and being forced out of position time and time and time again.

Why are you going off on all these tangents instead of accepting i don't rate him?

I can judge the lad because he was sh*te when he started, sh*te when he finished the season and he's out on loan at a Turkish club a season later.

In my opinion from watching him i think he's crap.

Fans these days do my head in. There's always a reason or excuse for someone failing and if i don't accept that i'm wrong and a horrible person for being so nasty to him? Give off.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #58: Aug 29, 2015 09:28:01 am
      I've honestly got no idea if Markovic is crap or not. I've never seen him play in his best position, and I don't think he's been given a fair shot to be honest.
      Forgetting the fee spent on him, if he was signed based on his performances in Portugal, then it seems ridiculous that he wasn't given the chance to play in the same manner here.
      The lad has speed and dribbling in abundance, from what we saw there didn't appear to be an end product though, but the same could be said of Ibe to be fair.
      A loan move might well.be the best thing for his career, but I'm not sure if it will be of any benefit to us, building a squad is just as important as building a first team, our squad could get dangerously thin if we suffer a few injuries, and keeping letting Marko go could come back haunt us.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #59: Aug 29, 2015 10:23:30 am
      Why are you going off on all these tangents instead of accepting i don't rate him?

I can judge the lad because he was sh*te when he started, sh*te when he finished the season and he's out on loan at a Turkish club a season later.

In my opinion from watching him i think he's crap.

Fans these days do my head in. There's always a reason or excuse for someone failing and if i don't accept that i'm wrong and a horrible person for being so nasty to him? Give off.

When people said the same thing about Lovren, Moreno or even Emre Can (at times), you all said that they need time to settle, to gel with their mates, especially about Moreno, but it seems that Markovic isn't afforded time to settle in, even though he is young and he was played out of position on numerous occasions while all of his teammates underperformed, bar Coutinho. How can you expect him to perform better in a toxic enviroment ? If the team was playing brilliant footballl and he was the only one who was sh*te, then you could have a point.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #60: Aug 29, 2015 01:01:00 pm
      When people said the same thing about Lovren, Moreno or even Emre Can (at times), you all said that they need time to settle, to gel with their mates, especially about Moreno, but it seems that Markovic isn't afforded time to settle in, even though he is young and he was played out of position on numerous occasions while all of his teammates underperformed, bar Coutinho. How can you expect him to perform better in a toxic enviroment ? If the team was playing brilliant footballl and he was the only one who was sh*te, then you could have a point.

F**k off George show me where i said that about Lovren, Can and more specifically Moreno.

I said it a month in to his career here, Moreno is worryingly bad. He scored that goal and people think of that every time they mention his name but overlook he is woeful defensively, can't pass, can't cross and is so easy to read for opposition defenders and attackers.

With Emre you can see the talent. Even if he was struggling you can see it in him he has ability. Markovic and Moreno are sh*te because once you close them down they don't know what to do. If they had the talent they'd show a bit of composure on the ball but no.

It amazes me how two lads who people have watched probably a collective 5 matches between every member on here for the both of them prior to them signing are getting all this sympathy about how they're so talented but they have shown none of that while they are here. I wonder why....might be because they're young and exotic and carry big price tags so they must be good!

The pair of them could be sold for a bag of nuts and i'd be delighted with our return.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #61: Aug 29, 2015 08:37:59 pm
      F**k off George show me where i said that about Lovren, Can and more specifically Moreno.

I said it a month in to his career here, Moreno is worryingly bad. He scored that goal and people think of that every time they mention his name but overlook he is woeful defensively, can't pass, can't cross and is so easy to read for opposition defenders and attackers.

With Emre you can see the talent. Even if he was struggling you can see it in him he has ability. Markovic and Moreno are sh*te because once you close them down they don't know what to do. If they had the talent they'd show a bit of composure on the ball but no.

It amazes me how two lads who people have watched probably a collective 5 matches between every member on here for the both of them prior to them signing are getting all this sympathy about how they're so talented but they have shown none of that while they are here. I wonder why....might be because they're young and exotic and carry big price tags so they must be good!

The pair of them could be sold for a bag of nuts and i'd be delighted with our return.

I wasn't speaking about you, but about what was the general consesus around here.

Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #62: Aug 29, 2015 09:45:51 pm
      Hmm, I'm just wondering if this transfer would have been made if they knew what was to happen today.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #63: Aug 30, 2015 01:48:11 am
      Hmm, I'm just wondering if this transfer would have been made if they knew what was to happen today.

Don't think it would have mattered if he played or not to be honest...the problem is different than just one pacy winger.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,281 posts | 79 
      Reply #64: Aug 30, 2015 01:49:15 am
      Don't think it would have mattered if he played or not to be honest...the problem is different than just one pacy winger.
      The problem is two non pacy no brain CB's.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #65: Aug 30, 2015 09:15:07 am
      Well, bizarre to say the least - why on earth he hasent gone to another EPL club is beyond me... Lazar could be a top player, there is a top player in there somewhere. Reality is that we wont see it in a Liverpool shirt now unless there are serious changes at the club.

Looking at the Ballo saga, this loan and there are clear issues between the transfer committee and the manager - club is a bit of a mess to be honest.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #66: Aug 30, 2015 09:26:10 am
      Nice waste of 20m there, doubt we'll ever see him in a Liverpool shirt again now.
      Agreed Chats.

I can't deny that I had high hopes for the kid but (yet again) transfers like this [young, 'with potential', easily paid] only serve to highlight the false economy nature of the club's, finance based, transfer policy... in my opinion, of course.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #67: Aug 30, 2015 09:51:20 am
      Agreed Chats.

I can't deny that I had high hopes for the kid but (yet again) transfers like this [young, 'with potential', easily paid] only serve to highlight the false economy nature of the club's, finance based, transfer policy... in my opinion, of course.

So he's been written off after a few games at wing back?
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #68: Aug 30, 2015 10:00:25 am

It appears he has by Brendan and / or the paymasters.

Personally think we should keep him at the club, I have very little faith in Lallana in an attacking role and Ibe has seemingly flattered to deceive.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #69: Aug 30, 2015 10:01:43 am
      how is it possible that Markovic isn't good enough but Lallana is?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #70: Aug 30, 2015 10:28:15 am
      how is it possible that Markovic isn't good enough but Lallana is?

Not one of Rodgers favourites!
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #71: Aug 30, 2015 11:11:37 am
      It's not me who's loaning him out.  ;)

chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #72: Aug 30, 2015 01:40:47 pm
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #73: Aug 30, 2015 01:49:16 pm
      Done deal, topic locked.

Player thread still open. http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,46449.0.html

Quick Reply