Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      2 (2.7%)
      Dejan Lovren
      10 (13.5%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      4 (5.4%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Martin Skrtel
      2 (2.7%)
      James Milner
      14 (18.9%)
      Emre Can
      0 (0%)
      Lucas Leiva
      10 (13.5%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      2 (2.7%)
      Roberto Firmino
      3 (4.1%)
      Christian Benteke
      1 (1.4%)
      Alberto Moreno
      1 (1.4%)
      Danny Ings
      25 (33.8%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Voting closed: Sep 03, 2015 10:33:06 pm

Liverpool 0-3 West Ham United: In game and Post Match Despair

Read 48513 times
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,709 posts | 162 
      Re: Liverpool 0-3 West Ham United: In game and Post Match Despair
      Reply #667: Sep 01, 2015 12:41:44 am
      Couldn't watch the game and I'm ok with that now. Such a disappointment. Really thought we would kick on and maybe get a few goals then we get 3 against us.
      Didn't vote for a man of the match for the first time. It's hard to talk about actually. I will say that after our first four games we it seems that we need two up front. Especially with Sturridge coming back I thought Rodgers would play Ings with Benteke to let the players get used to it. Hate being so negative and I'm not going to have a go at Rodgers but it seems we are 4 games in and we have no real structure to our play. Is it just get the ball to Couthino and hope he does something. Very frustrating. The only good thing I can say is Utd and Chelsea are also having problems.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #668: Sep 01, 2015 12:05:14 pm
      I still haven't seen the game so difficult to comment. My dad had my ticket and told me the only player who came out of the game with any bit of credit was Lucas who went about his job pretty well as usual but the rest were awful and it was the worst he has seen us play for a good few years. I trust his judgment.

It's difficult to debate on a game that I haven't seen yet but after speaking to my dad and reading other peoples opinions on here, it sounds as if we were toothless in attack yet again. The individual errors of Lovren are expected, he is sh*te at the end of the day and I knew sooner or later he would cost us goals/points (even though he did pretty well in the other 3 games!), but its going forward that worrys me most. 2 goals in our first 4 games?  It's not good enough. We don't look like we can win games.

So yet again I go back to the Benteke signing. I'm still scratching my head asking why we spent 32.5m on a forward who simply doesn't fit into our team or system. This is not a personal attack on Christian, I think he is a decent forward providing you play to his strengths but I strongly stated on this forum all summer that we wouldn't do that. I don't think he is world class by any means but he would certainly cause other teams some problems if you use him correctly and get the best out of him. So far, we haven't.

Lets have a look at the evidence so far:

Stoke - We created nothing. People quickly jumped to Christians defence stating we gave him no service but that was my whole point all summer.

Bournemouth - Again, we created very little. Christian got off the mark with a flukey goal and performed well individually (perhaps our best player on the night) but going forward we looked sh*te.

Arsenal - Much better. Could have been 2 or 3 up by half time. Christian should have actually scored. He played decent enough on the night.

West Ham - Sounds like we were just as bad going forward as we were against Stoke and Bournemouth.

To summarise, apart from 45 minutes against Arsenal we have looked absolutely dire when attacking. I'm not blaming this on Benteke just to make that clear. I'm blaming it on the system. Benteke in my opinion would benefit from two wingers alongside him who can beat a man, get to the byline and then whip a ball in. Although we have seen bits of link up play between him and Cou, he needs better service. Much better service. Coutinho could link up with stevie wonder for fucks sake.

I've always been a huge fan of Brendan, I've always defended him on these boards, but he is testing my patience and I am running out of excuses for him. At the end of the day getting humiliated by both Stoke and West Ham just isn't acceptable.  At the time we all discussed how signing Benteke would either save his LFC career or be the final nail in the coffin for him and four games in if you had to place a bet then you would probably go with the latter. We just look so clueless going forward, its embarrassing.  I saw it coming a mile off. 1 shot on target at home against West Ham. Seriously, what the F**k is that about?

The game against United is huge, even more so than usual.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #669: Sep 01, 2015 01:09:04 pm
      Totally agree with this. The day Brendan was chosen to be the main man, I felt it was the wrong move. A giant of a football club needs a proven, top level manager who isn't afraid to make the necessary changes and gets the players' respect.

JWH & Co have had 4+ years to make the choices and decisions that affect every aspect of this ''giant of a football club'', any changes necessary or otherwise by the manager will make little difference. 

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #670: Sep 01, 2015 01:41:23 pm
      Seen a couple of people (elsewhere) criticise Skrtel for the first goal.  Not sure what he was expected to do - head it to the half-way line?  Think Clyne's positioning and then Can's slight jog are more likely targets of criticism for West Ham's opener.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #671: Sep 02, 2015 12:50:01 am
      Be watching this today, at some point. Didn't get the chance over the weekend.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #672: Sep 02, 2015 01:54:34 am
      Missed this match as I was heading back home from Europe surprised with the result but not completely shocked Bilic seems to have the measure on Rodgers proved that with Besiktas and now with West Ham again.

Don't know why we didn't start the match with 2 strikers though against a team who conceded 75% possession against Arsenal and leaked 4 goals to Bournemouth the week before.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #673: Sep 02, 2015 06:48:48 am
      Truly awful result to concede three goals, against West Ham unacceptable, especially at home. Defence needs sorting out before any genuine progress can be made.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #674: Sep 02, 2015 01:11:00 pm
      The manager cannot afford another one of those... 1 life down for the season!

In 4 games:
       - 2 good results whilst not playing well
       - 1 very good draw with a good performance
       - 1 very very poor result and very poor performance

in conclusion; it’s not knee jerk to suggest even if points are won by playing the same way we did verses AFCB and SCFC, if they are followed by West Ham result, he’ll be gone by Halloween

This is from someone who has given him the benefit of the doubt by the way!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #675: Sep 02, 2015 03:13:16 pm
      I've enjoyed watching us play in one half of football (first half Arsenal away) in the last 14 halves of Premier League football.

The other 13 times we've been in the range of somewhere between average and dismal.

I'd certainly cut a new manager some slack but not a manager in his fourth season who appears to change his team on an annual basis.

I want things to get a lot better.  I want them to get better on a consistent basis.  And I want both of those things to happen in an extremely rapid manner.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #676: Sep 02, 2015 08:19:46 pm
      We went a goal down early to an average/poor side. Big deal. We should have turned that game around without too much fuss. Instead we had one attempt at their goal in the whole match. West Ham fans literally couldn't believe how easy it was. More disgraceful than Stoke for me because it was at Anfield in front of our own fans and the team surrendered like cowards.

Brown1
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts |
      Reply #677: Sep 03, 2015 09:05:43 am
      Liverpool is a very weak team in whole P/League that is due to a very weak manager who has no clue to manage a top club like LFC.
      The brainless BR had got rid of very good players at the club, and replaced them with below avarage expensive players. Just have a look at Jonjo Shelvey (who is an ideal replacement for SG), & Charlie Adam they are team leaders, have aggression, fighting spirt. BR instead kept the weak skipper Henderson, and other useless players. While watching the bad performance against West Ham, I have seen how our skipper action, two goal down and he has folded with rest of his players... Whereas West Ham skipper was urging his players to go hard and go for a kill of the game, full of fighting spirt and aggression and to set a prime example on how to win and push his players to win the game.
      We did not see that at all from the Skipper and rest of the players, dead team with dead weak useless manager.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #678: Sep 03, 2015 09:57:50 am
      Charlie Adam  :lmao:

As for Shelvey he doesn't have the discipline to play in the middle for a side challenging for the title - maybe he will one day maybe he won't. Right now Swansea is the right level for him - how many years would you be prepared to wait to see if your gamble paid off?
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #679: Sep 03, 2015 09:59:54 am
      Liverpool is a very weak team in whole P/League that is due to a very weak manager who has no clue to manage a top club like LFC.
      The brainless BR had got rid of very good players at the club, and replaced them with below avarage expensive players. Just have a look at Jonjo Shelvey (who is an ideal replacement for SG), & Charlie Adam they are team leaders, have aggression, fighting spirt. BR instead kept the weak skipper Henderson, and other useless players. While watching the bad performance against West Ham, I have seen how our skipper action, two goal down and he has folded with rest of his players... Whereas West Ham skipper was urging his players to go hard and go for a kill of the game, full of fighting spirt and aggression and to set a prime example on how to win and push his players to win the game.
      We did not see that at all from the Skipper and rest of the players, dead team with dead weak useless manager.

Shelvey lacked the refinement, composure and self control. But you can tell he DID want to be a winner.
      Remember when he gave that cock Ferguson some mouth. THAT is what being in the Lpool engineroom is all about.

Compare that to Henderson. Balotelli  swiped the ball off him for a penalty, and Henderson had an apologetic look on his face. One of many egs.

It remains to be seen what sort of player he becomes. But atleast he has balls, unlike so many current players.
      Its as if BR can afford low level skill OR competitiveness, but cant afford them both.

AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #680: Sep 03, 2015 10:02:23 am
      Adam was a fat, lazy, overrrated knobend. Who was never gonna improve at the age he was signed. More cheap sh*t.
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #681: Sep 03, 2015 10:35:00 am
      This is Stoke all over again :mad:
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #682: Sep 03, 2015 10:39:59 am
      Charlie Adam  :lmao:

As for Shelvey he doesn't have the discipline to play in the middle for a side challenging for the title - maybe he will one day maybe he won't. Right now Swansea is the right level for him - how many years would you be prepared to wait to see if your gamble paid off?

While I agree with you about his discipline and he is definitely guilty of the occasional WTF moment I would much rather see Shelvey in our squad than Lallana or Allen. He has that fighter mentality and I'll always love his celebration and that moment with Slur Alco. He can also really pass a ball, love players who put that extra bit of energy into the pass that makes the receiving player's job/options that much greater and Shelvey does that all the time.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #683: Sep 03, 2015 10:51:55 am
      Seen a couple of people (elsewhere) criticise Skrtel for the first goal.  Not sure what he was expected to do - head it to the half-way line?  Think Clyne's positioning and then Can's slight jog are more likely targets of criticism for West Ham's opener.

IIRC, I thought it was Gomez who should have dealt with the ball back in, from Skertel's header?
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #684: Sep 03, 2015 10:53:17 am
      instead kept the weak skipper Henderson, and other useless players. While watching the bad performance against West Ham, I have seen how our skipper action, two goal down and he has folded with rest of his players...
      I'm having a bit of bother deciphering this mate, (unlike the 'bloke' who plussed you, obviously) but you do know our "skipper" [Henderson] wasn't playing?  :-\

Still that fact shouldn't get in the way anyone from saying how bad he was - haters gonna hate, I suppose. Come to think of it: that Sturridge fella was pish too.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #685: Sep 03, 2015 10:55:25 am
      Come to think of it: that Sturridge fella was pish too.

Yeah he wasn't looking nearly as intimidating as the 25 stone monster that I believe was guarding him, poor show there from Studge.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #686: Sep 03, 2015 11:00:00 am
      Yeah he wasn't looking nearly as intimidating as the 25 stone monster that I believe was guarding him

Charlie Adam?
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #687: Sep 03, 2015 11:18:08 am

Couldn't have been Charlie he's never that slim, although I hear Greggs are struggling perhaps he's been on a diet.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #688: Sep 03, 2015 12:56:49 pm
      After watching the game 3 times now, whilst it's not a good performance, it's also not the precursor to the oncoming apocalypse, that I was led to believe by reading some of the posts on here and elsewhere. 

A few discussion points,  I've mean saying for a while now, our back line doesn't communicate well enough.  It's been awful, not one player has taken on a leadership role in the back five and it seriously needs addressing.

We look unbalanced without a left footer on the pitch and it caused us issues when attacking.

I don't like bashing refs, they make mistakes,  I like mistakes, best part of the game for me, but awarding fouls in the middle of the park and ignoring similar in the box really grates with me.

Mignolet - Still not quick enough to release the ball at times, distribution isn't good.  6/10

Clyne - Dealt with most of what came is way, unlucky ricochet with Lucas.  They spent more time going at Gomez, than Clyne and the reason is obvious. 7/10

Gomez - A dip in his level, going to happen.  Caused us many more problems than Lovren, didn't get and doesn't deserve as much criticism, but was poor.  5/10

Skrtel - Not a huge amount to deal with, most of the Hammers attacks came from elsewhere, but it dealt with nearly everything that came at him.  7/10

Lovren - Awful mistake in the first half but dealt with almost everything else, had two or three moments in the second half that caused palpatations.  Poor. 5/10

Can - Another performance that highlighted why we miss Henderson. 5/10

Lucas - Our best playing, going forward and defending.  I like Lucas, never hid that, but he should never be our best player on the pitch. 7/10

Coutinho - A performance that will be forgotten.  Dreadful. 4/10

Firmino - Still looks slightly off pace, but an interesting performance.  7/10

Milner - Poor, little worked for him and he needed to be handing out bollockings to a few.  5/10

Benteke - Got into positions, final ball, in the air and on the ground didn't reach him.  Needed to be more aware of runners around him, which will come.  6/10

Moreno - Provided some balance, put in some nice tackles, not sure he knows how to cross a ball. 6/10

Ings - Hustled and bustled in areas that were too deep.  6/10

Ibe - Not on long enough to rate,
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #689: Sep 03, 2015 01:04:15 pm
      After watching the game 3 times now

Dedication to the cause! 

Nodding in agreement with all of your markings.

Quick Reply