Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Bill Shankly appreciation thread.

Read 13306 times
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Re: Bill Shankly appreciation thread.
      Reply #69: Nov 13, 2017 11:30:00 pm
      Here's a picture of the title winning u16 team I mentioned in my previous post..
      I'm second from right front row..looking all young and innocent on it ! :laugh:
      Probably taken around the time of that infamous final..
      My brother reckons it was taken at Maiden Lane,Breckfield which was the Tuebrook sports leagues ground for Sat/Sun footie..still is apparently.
      No idea what the other lads are up to now.. maybe some of the locals may recognise a few individuals?
      Brilliant team, won the league that year, pipped to the double with a shady cup final defeat in front of Sir Bill..

Note the Luton Town home kit as our first strip.. ;D

tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,244 posts | 229 
      Reply #70: Nov 14, 2017 09:03:54 am
      Iplayer is messing with tv license now, so i'm unable to watch on iplayer via smartdns.

Here is video:
      https://weshare.me/ce488c6af0b843e8/BBC_Shankly_-_Nature_s_Fire_960p_25fps_12.11.2017-CFC4Ever.mp4
      MsGerrard
      Reply #71: Nov 14, 2017 06:08:11 pm
      Iplayer is messing with tv license now, so i'm unable to watch on iplayer via smartdns.

Here is video:
      https://weshare.me/ce488c6af0b843e8/BBC_Shankly_-_Nature_s_Fire_960p_25fps_12.11.2017-CFC4Ever.mp4

Thanks for posting that video, just watched it all, brought back many happy memories, but with a tinge of sadness too, what a great man he was though.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #72: Nov 14, 2017 07:29:15 pm
      Watched it last night very good, the man was a genius. How different to todays namby pamby players
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #73: Nov 14, 2017 07:39:32 pm
      I played on the right wing for Lister Utd in the Tuebrook Junior League u12's,u14's then u16's..must've been 75-77
      We were a top team and a great bunch of lads.
      Year after year we'd be up there fighting for trophies.
      In my final u16's game in the May we played in a final at Three Butt Lane,family and friends in attendance and none other than Sir Bill Shankly was to be honoury guest and would be not only watching the game but he would be presenting the trophy to the winning team..
      Guess what?
      We got beat :(
      so you can imagine how gutted I was going up to collect my runner up medal from Sir Bill..
      At full time I stood in line and in tears as we went up one by one..
      Dressed in his immaculate tweed blazer with his windsor knot red tie he shook my hand and nearly crushed it! :laugh:
      looked me in the eye and said
      "You were brilliant today son, I was watching you up and down that wing full of spirit ,your mum n dad must be proud of you"

Always remember that..

His attention to detail became the foundation of our legacy
      Shankly's devotion and game knowledge mixed with the rest of the boot room boy's was and will always remain the envy of world football.

As a lifelong supporter of this great club of ours I'm indescribably proud to have had a tiny minuscule connection with this great man during my lifetime.
      Fantastic story mate,and one hell of a treasured memory to have.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #74: Nov 15, 2017 03:07:40 am
      No Shankly, No Liverpool FC
      Simple as that.
      He was the seed and the soil, the sun and water, the visionary, innovator and bedrock of all that we are.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #75: Nov 15, 2017 06:14:33 pm
      The are no characters like Shankley anymore, with the exception of maybe Klopp. But he wouldn't last today with the self loving players who are mostly mercenaries
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #76: Sep 02, 2018 09:04:08 pm
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #77: Sep 03, 2018 07:04:42 am
      No Shankly, No Liverpool FC
      Simple as that.
      He was the seed and the soil, the sun and water, the visionary, innovator and bedrock of all that we are.

I used to go to Melwood with my mates when it just was a couple of buildings.

No security .... we used to actually stand pitchside watching the training and the man himself leading the lads of the day.

Memories never to be forgotten.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #78: Nov 18, 2018 03:42:28 pm
      On BBC Sounds Now.

Interview with Sue Mc Gregor  and  Shanks in 1979 .

Quotes " I've got books.    I've got books worth a fortune ..... to me."

" Have you been to Workington ? Its halfway across the Atlantic ! "

He mentions how fantastic it was after he retired to stand on the Kop.  None of us then realised at the time what a privilege that was and the legacy it would lay down for the future.

Fantastic listening to him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p06s0mk3
      « Last Edit: Nov 18, 2018 04:08:03 pm by MIRO »
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #79: Nov 18, 2018 04:08:07 pm
      he had that mesmeric quality to his voice he held people in a trance when he spoke.
      I remember his town hall speech it was "Presidential" . Love the man and his words still make so much sense today

Quick Reply