Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

Statement from Spion Kop 1906 Regarding Flags and Banners

Read 10252 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 40,070 posts | 8516 
      Statement from Spion Kop 1906 Regarding Flags and Banners
      Sep 10, 2015 02:17:15 pm
      "We are aware of recent media reports and continued speculation about the future of flags and banners at Anfield and how this situation has arisen. To be clear, we have not approached any media outlet regarding these matters. Instead we have found ourselves the subject of speculation and believe that it is necessary for us to comment and make clear our feelings on this matter.

The alleged incident at the Crystal Palace match, which is now the subject of a legal case, is one on which we will not be commenting. What we will not accept is anybody trying to link us to this matter or attempting to use this for their own ends.

We are disappointed at the way this has been handled to date. Supporters, who spend their own money, using their own time, on an increasingly expensive hobby to support the club and provide an atmosphere, should not be treated the way we have.

The flags and banners were not on display at the West Ham match due to obstacles and barriers that the club were proposing to put in place that we felt were unfair and unnecessary. No clear or definitive reason has been given for why the club wish to impose changes. Instead there are only hints and speculation that it is related to the incident at the Crystal Palace match and the views of disabled supporters. To address these two points:

1. The display for the Crystal Palace game was for Gerrard's last game. The club contacted us and we worked together to create a mosaic and flag display for the game. Unfortunately, this was not properly communicated to the ground staff and is where we believe problems may have begun. We were at the ground from 8am the morning of the game and were fully cooperative with the stewards. However, unknown to us, the stewards who work during the game had not been made aware of the mosaic and how it would affect other supporters, including the disabled supporters. We worked with the staff in the ground so all fans could enjoy the experience and came to a compromise to suit all involved. We believe this issue has come about after the failings of the club to communicate the plans before the game to those who had working responsibilities on the day.

2. The Daily Mirror article has a quote saying "if conducted properly, the banners are not a problem”. To be clear, the banners have always been conducted properly. We have had a brilliant working relationship with all stewards on The Kop, the former stadium manager Ged Poynton and all fans, especially those who sit in the disabled section at the front of The Kop. The flags have been there for the best part of a decade. We are not aware of any issues and we work alongside the stewards to address any issues.

We are not a group who have members. We are a group of long standing and loyal supporters who want to create an atmosphere and keep the traditions of The Kop alive in the time where young, local youths are priced out of the game. We ask for help from all like-minded fans who share a similar passion and want to be part of what we do. We've had all types of help in the past, from disabled supporters, to young scouse kids to foreign fans who have travelled from South America. We simply have a collection of flags and banners and believe, the more that are on display each match day, the better.

As a group of fans, we are fully aware of the difficulties the disabled fans on The Kop face. A number of the regular flag wavers who help on match days can relate to this as they have been in the disabled 'seats' for matches as a relative and a close friend of theirs is in a wheelchair. This is why we always take great care when we set up, display and take down the flags before, during and after each game.

However, none of the proposals put to us for accreditation or registration have been explained, either why they are needed or how they can adequately address any problems. Instead we feel it is a way of control and believe this isn’t how supporters who provide something to the club and team should be treated.

We believe the club should welcome flags, banners and displays on The Kop at every opportunity. We see, not only our flags but other peoples flags, painted all over the offices, interview areas, training ground and changing rooms and used by the club in promotional materials. The flags and banners are even used to promote the new Main Stand. We are constantly referred to as the famous "12th man" and there is no hiding away from the fact that the atmosphere has effectively won games for the football club in the past. If the club want to create issues and problems going forward which prevent this tradition being carried on into the next generation then Anfield and especially The Kop will become the same as any other footballing terrace up and down the county.

We look forward to meeting with the club to address this matter in the coming weeks and we hope they can be resolved and allow us to move forward and continue to support LFC in our own unique and passionate way."

http://www.spiritofshankly.com/news/statement-about-flags-and-banners-on-the-kop-spion-kop-1906
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,381 posts | 3387 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Re: Statement from Spion Kop 1906 Regarding Flags and Banners
      Reply #1: Sep 10, 2015 02:50:34 pm
      Problem is the club like a few others got a bit of stick for offering fewer disabled spaces than required so it is overreacting to the incident at the palace match.
      http://www.wheelpower.org.uk/WPower/assets/Image/table(1).png
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 40,070 posts | 8516 
      Reply #2: Sep 10, 2015 02:54:30 pm
      Problem is the club like a few others got a bit of stick for offering fewer disabled spaces than required so it is overreacting to the incident at the palace match.

That's because the club have no proper facilities to house disabled fans, they are just put at the front of the kop or the paddock, kop side.

The overreaction at Palace was down to a F**k up amongst stewards.

The club are still being cu*ts and we have a new stadium manager who used to work at Coventry City when they played at Northampton, so the question I'd ask is what the F**k does he actually know about dealing with Anfield and our fans, answer would probably be F**k all!!
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,381 posts | 3387 
      Reply #3: Sep 10, 2015 02:58:58 pm
      That's because the club have no proper facilities to house disabled fans, they are just put at the front of the kop or the paddock, kop side.

The overreaction at Palace was down to a f**k up amongst stewards.

The club are still being cu*ts and we have a new stadium manager who used to work at Coventry City when they played at Northampton, so the question I'd ask is what the f**k does he actually know about dealing with Anfield and our fans, answer would probably be f**k all!!

I'm sure he has got an NVQ iin being a jobsworth
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 40,070 posts | 8516 
      Reply #4: Sep 10, 2015 05:38:59 pm
      I'm sure he has got an NVQ iin being a jobsworth

Tbh most of the stewards in the kop are sound but there are definitely a few that would fall under this ^^
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #5: Sep 10, 2015 05:43:30 pm
      the very thought of stopping flags on the Kop is so wrong and shows the way this regime is going. The Kop without flags just isn't the Kop
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #6: Sep 10, 2015 06:07:17 pm
      the very thought of stopping flags on the Kop is so wrong and shows the way this regime is going. The Kop without flags just isn't the Kop

They're chisellers Walt. Every year they chop back more of what the club was. Every year more real fans ie those who understand us as a club leave. Replaced by a few neutrals with half and half scarves/tourists/gullible and malleable ones. Its death by a 1000 cuts.

I can't stand back and be constantly insulted by them. To go to Anfield to see THEM using OUR badge to con us out of OUR money, from the club WE built just sickens me.

They hate football, they think its a joke watched by idiots. They can't even stomach watching it. Yet they're full of all this arrogance about how to "improve" us.

Strange thing is, relative to our (current and former) rivals, we actually did better 5, 10, 20, 30 yrs ago in commercial terms. We don't need to look to some marketing agency in Boston, or some boutique bank in New York to know how to heal OUR football club.

We can argue all day about whether these lot are worse than G&H. I'd say that circumstances are different, but they're every bit as bad. Same sort of people behind all that glibness and smarm. Exactly the same.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #7: Sep 10, 2015 06:11:20 pm
      What exactly was the issue at the palace match? All I've read is there was an issue between a lad from anfield and a disabled fan.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 40,070 posts | 8516 
      Reply #8: Sep 10, 2015 06:18:44 pm
      What exactly was the issue at the palace match? All I've read is there was an issue between a lad from anfield and a disabled fan.

Can't really talk about it much as ongoing legal case
      LFCexiled
      Reply #9: Sep 10, 2015 07:14:49 pm
      Can't really talk about it much as ongoing legal case

As I'm not sure of the issue and the indication in the above statement is that it was an issue with the stewards then would it be a massive problem if the case against the lad got dropped?
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,381 posts | 3387 
      Reply #10: Sep 10, 2015 07:44:52 pm

lad with a flag got into an argument with the disabled fan who complained to the club. The lad in question apparently has no links to the main flag organisers. I have never had any problems with the stewards myself and the concern is that the new stadium manager doesn't have the nous of ged poynton and a situation which with experience and common sense has spiralled out of  control.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,575 posts | 6915 
      Reply #11: Sep 10, 2015 10:28:35 pm

I'll tell you an even bigger problem.

That Liverpool fans and 'The Kop' now require a 'group' to specifically bring in banners and flags into games.

We'll have a brass band soon.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,381 posts | 3387 
      Reply #12: Sep 10, 2015 10:32:29 pm
      I'll tell you an even bigger problem.

That Liverpool fans and 'The Kop' now require a 'group' to specifically bring in banners and flags into games.

We'll have a brass band soon.

i can play the triangle and i am prepared to try ynwa on a recorder
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,921 posts | 283 
      Reply #13: Sep 11, 2015 03:32:57 am
      i can play the triangle and i am prepared to try ynwa on a recorder

Don't steal the limelight from Ayre, with the trombone up his ass.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #14: Sep 16, 2015 03:09:40 pm
      Flags set to return on Kop after Liverpool FC hold talks with supporters group
      Flags are set to return to the Kop this weekend after Liverpool reached agreement with a supporters group over an ongoing dispute.

Reds officials met with members of the Spion Kop 1906 group on Tuesday to discuss improvements to the matchday process for flagbearers at Anfield.

The supporters group were concerned at the club suggesting fans would have to sign a register and wear accreditation to wave their flags.

As a result, a number of well-known banners were absent in protest from the last home game against West Ham United in August.

But with the situation seemingly resolved, the Kop is poised to regain its vibrant appearance for the visit of Norwich City on Sunday.

In a tweet, Spion Kop 1906 said: “Today we met with the club who have recognised that accreditation and a register is unnecessary.

“We've agreed a process, on our terms, what we believe will work going forward.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/flags-set-return-kop-after-10064881
      MsGerrard
      Reply #15: Sep 16, 2015 03:31:02 pm
      ^^^ Excellent, common sense restored and flags back on the KOP for the Norwich game, lets hope the players respond with some decent footy so we've got something to shout and cheer about.  :scarf: :kop5cf8koxp6: :kop5cf8koxp6: :scarf:
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #16: Sep 16, 2015 03:52:35 pm
      I thought the club had done it to stop the barrage of Rodgers Out banners that will probably start appearing if our current form continues
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #17: Sep 16, 2015 09:34:21 pm
      Glad to hear things getting sorted. But worryingly this is just something else in a long line of F**k ups happening on an all too frequent basis. I would swear the yanks are trying to erase the identity of this great institution into something, well frankly "Americanised".
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,281 posts | 1513 
      Reply #18: Feb 07, 2016 09:20:17 pm
      Glad to hear things getting sorted. But worryingly this is just something else in a long line of f**k ups happening on an all too frequent basis. I would swear the yanks are trying to erase the identity of this great institution into something, well frankly "Americanised".
      Yeah, spot on that. Fearsome thought though.  Any one up for the walk through the crowd selling hot dogs ?

Quick Reply