Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Liverpool v Manchester Utd - End of the 'Biggest Game'?

Read 4739 times
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 5,761 posts | 886 
      Liverpool v Manchester Utd - End of the 'Biggest Game'?
      Sep 13, 2015 08:06:54 pm
      Regardless of our position in the table or theirs, or passed achievements and trophies, this is the biggest game of the season.. twice. Ex-players have said it - Carragher and Gerrard for example would look for this fixture immediately - but now it is in danger of losing significance.

With yesterday's embarrassment firmly on my mind, I'm drawing to the conclusion that the fixture for all it stands for is gone. Temporary? Hopefully... but gone it is. Is it management? a loss of key players? or a mixture of the two?

Rodgers

Before the game, Brendan had already set this out as just a normal fixture. A win would have been the same as any win. A loss... like any loss. It's whole meaning was completely taken away. He was looking at the game purely from a 'points' perspective. I was shocked and disappointed at just how insignificant it was for him.

With that set out, there was no way the players were going to fire themselves up for this 'game of games'. As it was, we lost badly, and bitterly, but his post match comments were the same, effectively saying 'We lost.. but will look to move on and look to the next game'. Unbelieveable! This was a loss to Man Utd! You don't just move on from that!!

Players

Carragher, Reina, Agger, Kuyt.. and Gerrard. Just a few of the key players gone. Have the new players grasped how important this game? Do they see it as a regular fixture? I think they are guilty of that.

Gerrard had admitted feeling angry as he watched the players last season skipping out of challenges and not putting enough in. Yesterday, it was the same. Before the game, it was mentioned that perhaps Fellaini could get a red card.. but he was in no danger of that. No-one wound him up. No-one went at him. Nothing happened all game in fact... nothing close to a 'red card' incident. Not saying we should get violent  :f_tongueincheek: but the passion and the fire was truly missing from the game, and it's been that way for some time.

I'm looking at this from our point of view, but it's the same for Man Utd too. The game has lost meaning for them too, and perhaps the same reasons. Loss of key players and the loss of Ferguson. He would pump up his side... he desperately did not want to lose, but since then.. it's become a regular match.

It is "hyped up" before game, but the hype is the fans and the media. The players and management (both teams) simply do not care any more.

What do you think? and what can be done?

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Re: Liverpool v Manchester Utd - End of the 'Biggest Game'?
      Reply #1: Sep 13, 2015 08:57:35 pm
      That's a load of bollox mate, it just turned out that Utd are pretty average and had no forward and we have a manager who is trawling the depths of Hodgson by going to OT thinking we are some sort of conference league team.

GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,345 posts | 1531 
      Reply #2: Sep 13, 2015 09:12:20 pm
      Before the game, Brendan had already set this out as just a normal fixture. A win would have been the same as any win. A loss... like any loss. It's whole meaning was completely taken away. He was looking at the game purely from a 'points' perspective. I was shocked and disappointed at just how insignificant it was for him.

Think he may have been protecting himself from suffering from 'a huge loss' by playing down the fixture, which he clearly expected to lose !

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,236 posts | 8573 
      Reply #3: Sep 13, 2015 09:17:45 pm
      Apparently not according to this lot of divvies outside of Old Trafford   :lmao:

https://www.facebook.com/ian.fletcher.372/videos/vb.100000597695679/1111422258887687/?type=2&theater
      DanMann
      • Started Topic

• 5,761 posts | 886 
      Reply #4: Sep 13, 2015 09:31:44 pm
      That's a load of bollox mate, it just turned out that Utd are pretty average and had no forward and we have a manager who is trawling the depths of Hodgson by going to OT thinking we are some sort of conference league team.

Utd have been pretty average for a while now. Perhaps that's part of the problem.

Beating Utd is no longer a measure stick.. because both teams are poor.

Who in that Utd team passionately wants to beat Liverpool? and who in Liverpool passionately wants to beat Utd?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #5: Sep 13, 2015 09:54:16 pm
      Utd have been pretty average for a while now. Perhaps that's part of the problem.

Beating Utd is no longer a measure stick.. because both teams are poor.

Who in that Utd team passionately wants to beat Liverpool? and who in Liverpool passionately wants to beat Utd?

Managers and players come and go the one constant is the fan base.
      As long as we and they see each other as the biggest fixture of the season it will continue.

6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #6: Sep 13, 2015 09:58:03 pm
      Am I being a tw*t in saying that I think the lad Martial could well turn out to be Man U's Suarez...?
      All he wanted to do when he got the ball was to run into the box....
      19 yrs old !!!!!
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #7: Sep 13, 2015 10:10:59 pm
      Am I being a tw*t in saying that I think the lad Martial could well turn out to be Man U's Suarez...?
      All he wanted to do when he got the ball was to run into the box....
      19 yrs old !!!!!

Only saw him saw that goal mate and honestly it wasn't difficult, Skrtel beat himself and Mignolet just gave him the corner to aim at. So while he could be excellent I'm not going to react in that manner.

As for the commentator he is a total Manc tw*t that truly pissed me off and it annoys me more to know that him knowing that would just make him even more happy.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #8: Sep 13, 2015 10:17:55 pm
      Only saw him saw that goal mate and honestly it wasn't difficult, Skrtel beat himself and Mignolet just gave him the corner to aim at. So while he could be excellent I'm not going to react in that manner.

As for the commentator he is a total Manc tw*t that truly pissed me off and it annoys me more to know that him knowing that would just make him even more happy.
      True enough Luke and yeah I think we now know what team Tyler supports...
      All he did throughout the game was spout all these mind numbing stats about the fixture over the years in Man U's favour.. and then he got he co commentator Gary F**kin Neville to back him up...
      We've only got ourselves to blame for our on going and now very public Fall from Grace and SKY are loving it...

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,236 posts | 8573 
      Reply #9: Sep 13, 2015 10:27:53 pm
      True enough Luke and yeah I think we now know what team Tyler supports...
      All he did throughout the game was spout all these mind numbing stats about the fixture over the years in Man U's favour.. and then he got he co commentator Gary F**kin Neville to back him up...
      We've only got ourselves to blame for our on going and now very public Fall from Grace and SKY are loving it...

In comparison I honestly thought Neville wasn't that bad, up until United scored he sounded bored out of his skull.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #10: Sep 13, 2015 10:56:27 pm
      In comparison I honestly thought Neville wasn't that bad, up until United scored he sounded bored out of his skull.

Ha, yeah, at one point Tyler was asking him to do his Beckham impression... tw*ts..
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,236 posts | 8573 
      Reply #11: Sep 13, 2015 11:11:04 pm
      Ha, yeah, at one point Tyler was asking him to do his Beckham impression... tw*ts..

You should be used to Tyler by now, he's always been that way with the F***ing mancs.
      DanMann
      • Started Topic

• 5,761 posts | 886 
      Reply #12: Sep 13, 2015 11:17:24 pm

Up until we scored, I was bored out of my skull. Genuine apathy..
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #13: Sep 13, 2015 11:25:07 pm
      You should be used to Tyler by now, he's always been that way with the f**king mancs.

I know.. When they scored the third he was screaming like a bi*ch...
      one of the reasons why I don't subscribe to sky sports mate..
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #14: Sep 14, 2015 12:40:36 am
      Yeah we have shipped 9 goals to this lot in the last 3 games....
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #15: Sep 14, 2015 01:30:03 am
      I don't think it has lost it's significance in English football, but maybe among the players it is becoming "another fixture" rather than what it once was. Too many new players at both clubs at the moment having little knowledge and no memory of the history, the battles once fought and with few now to explain what this fixture is and how important to the supporters.

If you look at both teams now, who is going to go to war.... Rooney perhaps, maybe Lucas but few others.   
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,236 posts | 8573 
      Reply #16: Sep 14, 2015 02:26:07 am
      I don't think it has lost it's significance in English football, but maybe among the players it is becoming "another fixture" rather than what it once was. Too many new players at both clubs at the moment having little knowledge and no memory of the history, the battles once fought and with few now to explain what this fixture is and how important to the supporters.

If you look at both teams now, who is going to go to war.... Rooney perhaps, maybe Lucas but few others.   

Shame the lad's still injured would of been good to have Flanagan out there yesterday, at least someone who knows what it means to win at Old Trafford!

lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #17: Sep 15, 2015 12:02:14 am
      Let's nip the Tyler rumours in the bud instantly. The man is a Woking supporter. That clears that up.

The biggest league game of our season is the home game against them. You can have the title deciders and the European nights, but the home game against the mancs stands out on it's own.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,236 posts | 8573 
      Reply #18: Sep 15, 2015 01:00:13 am
      Let's nip the Tyler rumours in the bud instantly. The man is a Woking supporter. That clears that up.

The biggest league game of our season is the home game against them. You can have the title deciders and the European nights, but the home game against the mancs stands out on it's own.

It's still the derby, soft arse!!

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #19: Sep 15, 2015 08:49:10 pm
      It's still the derby, soft arse!!

Not on planet Zod its not. If you need someone to tell you that Everton is now and always has been our most important game then can you really say you understand this club.Stupid quesion in relation to LFCacrossthe water
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #20: Sep 15, 2015 10:54:28 pm

Do all Woking supporters shout "yessssssss" when Ute score then?

I hate Utd with a passion, but I have a respect for them ( not their scumbag, death mocking plastic fans). The matches with them are about bragging rights. I have nothing but utter disdain for Everton, it's real hatred when play them!
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #21: Sep 15, 2015 11:01:30 pm

You have obviously never heard him cream himself whenever Rooooooooooney scores.
      In fact sometimes he's so quick he reloads himself instantly......

lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #22: Sep 16, 2015 02:17:06 am
      Quote from ORCHARD RED
      Do all Woking supporters shout "yessssssss" when Ute score then?

I have nothing but utter disdain for Everton, it's real hatred when play them!

I don't know. All I know is that he supports Woking. They got to a final at Wembley years ago, he later said he couldn't commentate on it. Something to do with not been able to guarantee impartiality or something.

He is a commentator, and it's his job to sound excited when goals are scored. He's done it many times when we've scored in the past 40 years. Collymore's winner against Newcastle is played round the clock on Sky. His co-commentator sounds even more excited when Chelsea score in Europe. Nobody says he supports them. But if you don't like how they do it, all you have to do is move your thumb and they're gone.

In football terms, Everton have been a complete irrelevance to us since about May 87. Rafa told them they were a small club, something I could fully agree with him about.

Quick Reply