Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Will we miss Harry Kewell?

Yes
      (16.5%)
      No
      (83.5%)

Harry Kewell (Liverpool - > Galatasaray)

Read 35645 times
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: The Official Harry Kewell thread
      Reply #115: Mar 14, 2008 08:13:59 am
       Harry Kewell must surely be gone at the end of this season,sadly we never got the consistency and football he was capable of due to continuous injuries.Looking on the positive side it is believed that Harry has been on top wages at L.F.C. so we should be able to attract a good winger and it should not increase the wage bill with the savings from Harry's wages.
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #116: Mar 14, 2008 06:43:22 pm
      Will we miss Kewell? I doubt it.
      Given the amount of time he has spent with the physio and not on the pitch, unfortunate as it may be, I think it's time to draw the line. The promise we had when Kewell signed (for 7 million I think it was) has just completely vanished. He has not had a long and consistent period of 1st team input that would suggest another contract is viable. How much has he been paid whilst injured and what have we had in return? That annoys me, we've been supporting a dead weight for too long.

With the arrival of Babel in the squad we have a young, fresh player who is both keen and quick, let alone adaptable. It's early days in his Liverpool career but we can clearly see the promise he has both on the Left and Right Wing and up front as a Striker. Although right footed he has the ability to play on the left and, whilst easy to predict that he will cut inside rather than pass a man and cross with his left foot, this can only improve and further enhance his repertoire of skills. His speed and fitness is a key factor here and I believe he has a lot, lot, more going for him than against him,
      unlike Kewell.

John Arne Riise can also fill this position and whilst not quite as skillful as Babel, is an adaptable player as a Full Back or Winger. Again he's not in his prime, eyebrows have been raised and questions asked of his form (probably because of the rod he has made for himself by scoring a few bullets in the past ;)) but I would sooner see him on the pitch than Kewell any day.

The never ending possibilities of transfers throws Kewell's place in the squad into further question and I would put big money on him not being a Liverpool player next season. If a player in Kewell's predicament can request time away from his club to represent his country it's clear where his loyalties lie. Important games are looming for Liverpool and he wants out and away to be with his friends in Oz - with friends like that who needs enemies?
      Pack your bags Harry, you've outstayed your welcome.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #117: Mar 14, 2008 07:09:47 pm
      I'm sure this has been said, but how can you miss a player who has hardly played, if he had been fit all the time then we would not be having this thread, but for what ever reason he has never been far from injury or indifferent form.
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #118: Mar 15, 2008 03:16:15 am
      Meanwhile Benitez insists he will decide on whether to offer Harry Kewell a new contract at the end of the season - despite allowing the winger to join up with Australia to work on his match fitness.

"He will go with the Australian team because he asked me if he could play in the two games they have," added Benitez.

"I said okay because he is not playing for us because now we have some players in his position, so it is better if he goes and he can go and work with them and be fit.

"It will be more difficult (for him to earn a new deal). It depends on if he plays well when he comes back and maybe he will have a part in the rest of the season - but it will be more difficult.

"We will decide at the end of the season."

OK, now im pretty bloody confident he is gone now. Benitez doesnt say things like this light heartedly.
      Just didnt work out, pretty sad really but that happens in football and i wish him all the best in what ever the future holds for him in football with an injury free carear. ill still be a fan and keep an eye on him every now and then just like i do fowler and garcia.

Goodbye harry, thanks for the games you were awsome in and sorry for the games you just didnt make it in. :action-smiley-065: :scarf: :action-smiley-065:

think ill buy myself a new home jersey with kewell on it before he buggers off just for keeps.
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #119: Mar 15, 2008 01:54:24 pm
      His time should have came to and end a good two seasons ago.

We all know he had the talent and fair enough he did have alot of injuries but as harsh as it sounds he didnt have the passion to play for Liverpool and dose not know what it means to wear the red shirt. I can count the good games he has had for the club on one hand.

No room for sentiment - good ridence Mr Kewell
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #120: Mar 15, 2008 02:17:29 pm
      I've never really been a big fan of Harry Kewell. Before he joined us he was awsome but the minute he put on the red shirt he changed.

He's definitley not good enough for us, and to be honest he hasn't had that urgency in 90% of the games he's played. It's a shame but he can move over now, and give the NO.7 shirt to someone who truly deserves it.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #121: Mar 20, 2008 10:13:27 am
      KEWELL KEEN TO EARN NEW DEAL

Paul Eaton 20 March 2008

Harry Kewell today spoke of his determination to win a new contract at Liverpool at the end of the season. 
      Kewell is currently away with the Australian national side preparing for Saturday's friendly with Singapore and the forthcoming World Cup qualifier against China.

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez gave his permission for Kewell to travel to the other side of the world at a time when the Reds are embarking on their most challenging period of the season, but he also admitted the 29-year-old will find it 'difficult' to earn a new deal when his present one expires at the end of this season.

"I've got a contract until the end of the season and I'm still fighting for another one at Liverpool," he said. "I've got the Aussie spirit of never say die and I'll take that all the way to the end. I won't give up until the final whistle.

"The best thing for me is to get some games so I can be fighting fit for Liverpool. There's a chance here to play two games and the manager was very happy for me to come across.

"I've just got to play football. I've been through some good times and bad times and I've realised now that I just want to enjoy my football. That's the important thing." 

***********************************************************************************************

Well it's quite obvious where Harry's loyalties lie and they are not with Liverpool. We don't want players at Anfield who shirk there responsibilities so sorry Harry, but it will be bye bye come the end of the season.

Saffi 7
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts | 17 
      • "...that's why they paid 26 million for him..."
      Reply #122: Mar 20, 2008 02:30:31 pm
      I really wanted him to go out in style, delivering a last few unforgettable shows, little glimpses of the player we signed, but like happily ever after for Romeo and Juliet, alas, 'twas not to be...

He would have to produce an unprecedented (by his LFC standards) run of MOM performances to convince a majority "Sorry Harry, you're gone" crowd and that seems impossible from here. I just didn't work out the way we wanted it to.

Thanks Harry, but sadly I don't think he's contract will be renewed...unless...
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #123: Mar 20, 2008 02:34:01 pm
      KEWELL KEEN TO EARN NEW DEAL

Paul Eaton 20 March 2008

Harry Kewell today spoke of his determination to win a new contract at Liverpool at the end of the season. 
      Kewell is currently away with the Australian national side preparing for Saturday's friendly with Singapore and the forthcoming World Cup qualifier against China.

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez gave his permission for Kewell to travel to the other side of the world at a time when the Reds are embarking on their most challenging period of the season, but he also admitted the 29-year-old will find it 'difficult' to earn a new deal when his present one expires at the end of this season.

"I've got a contract until the end of the season and I'm still fighting for another one at Liverpool," he said. "I've got the Aussie spirit of never say die and I'll take that all the way to the end. I won't give up until the final whistle.

"The best thing for me is to get some games so I can be fighting fit for Liverpool. There's a chance here to play two games and the manager was very happy for me to come across.

"I've just got to play football. I've been through some good times and bad times and I've realised now that I just want to enjoy my football. That's the important thing." 

***********************************************************************************************

Well it's quite obvious where Harry's loyalties lie and they are not with Liverpool. We don't want players at Anfield who shirk there responsibilities so sorry Harry, but it will be bye bye come the end of the season.

I agree totally with you MsG. And to say if he gets another year on his contract I want a year contract as a player and I will probably play more games because Im not made of china and I dont break so easy. I read this this morning and I just thought,

"you cheeky F***ing tw*t"

Nothing more you can say really
      ShanerB
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 881 posts | 25 
      Reply #124: Mar 20, 2008 05:21:59 pm
      what has he been smoking!? he must realise now that his chance is over, even if he had a blinder for the rest of the season i wouldn't want him to get another contract because that would just prove to me that he wasn't trying hard enough for the last couple of years. i've never thought kewell gave us 100% and players are found out at top clubs when they're not giving it their all.  :rasp: bye bye harry!
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #125: Mar 20, 2008 05:53:09 pm
      what has he been smoking!? he must realise now that his chance is over

I think he knows that he's finished at Liverpool, he's just not stupid enough to come out and say it in public. He's trying to sound motivated and full of energy, in the hope that some clubs might be interested in him come the summer, because for Rafa to say that it will be "difficult" for Harry to get back in the squad can by loosely translated as "no chance" IMO.

I suppose he is hoping another top club will snap him up and fill his bank account for another couple of years, but I really don't think this is going to happen. The whole history with Harry has been one long series of could-have-beens... hope he doesn't sign next year else we'll be talking about how we "could-have-been" rid of him...
      Cy
      Reply #126: Mar 20, 2008 06:17:52 pm
      It's too late to apologises!!!! It's tooo laaaaate..... ;D..I know not a great voice. Poor old Harry, far too late to rescue something for him now...good luck to him though..
      MsGerrard
      Reply #127: Mar 20, 2008 08:28:07 pm

DonRafael's socks  ;)   :lmao:
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #128: Mar 26, 2008 09:39:11 am
      "Harry Kewell has been forced to pull out of the Australia squad for their World Cup qualifier against China.
      The Reds' midfielder suffered a groin problem during Saturday's goalless friendly draw with Singapore.

Australia's medical staff were hopeful he would recover in time to face China, but he was unable to complete the final training session ahead of the match.

The game is taking place in Kunming on Wednesday morning UK time."

How much longer have we got to carry this bloke, I really think he needs to be removed as deadwood at the end of the season. ANother groin injury ffs just retire with dignity Harry you are turning into a joke mate.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #129: Mar 26, 2008 10:09:06 am
      Ever so breakable! Harry Kewell.
      unsung.hero
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #130: Mar 26, 2008 10:40:27 am
      This proves that he really needs to go now for us to move forward.
      Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #131: Mar 26, 2008 11:08:18 am
      He must seriously start to think about retiring now hasn't he? I mean what's the longest run of games he's had in the last few years? How he managed the three finals I'll never know. He'll be 30 this year and it's definitely time for him to move on. He never did fulfill his promise which is such a shame. Heard that Celtic want him on a Bosman.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #132: Mar 26, 2008 01:20:42 pm
      Is he actually made of glass.
      IB
      • Prediction League Champion 2008/09
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 307 posts | 18 
      Reply #133: Mar 26, 2008 04:20:01 pm
      i like kewell, i think he shud be offered a new contract, even if its for a year. he made some excellent performances against porto and marseille, not only those matches but many other matches. hes regaining his speed and hes clever on the ball.
      ShanerB
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 881 posts | 25 
      Reply #134: Mar 27, 2008 04:12:07 pm
      i can't believe this, what is wrong with kewell!? how can someone get injured so often? he must realise now he made a mistake in wanting to go with the australia squad, i know his career with liverpool is basically over but fact is he is under contract with us and should have been focusing on getting back fully fit rather than jet off across the world.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #135: Mar 27, 2008 04:27:35 pm
      Mad isn't it ShanerB. You'd think he's been taking injuy pills or something. I just wonder if Rafa's told him it's the best chance of getting a full game of football under his belt, going away with the Oz players. As I can't see him ever having 90 mins for us again.
      ShanerB
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 881 posts | 25 
      Reply #136: Mar 27, 2008 04:32:25 pm
      well yes i'd say your probably right about him not getting 90mins with us again, i haven't found out the extent of the inury yet but i think at this stage of the season it would be unfair if he even got 10 considering he has barely played all season. we just have to use the squad we have as effectively as possible and if we do end up with a game at the end of the season where we can rest some players i think we should use a youngster from the reserves rather than someone who'll be playing his last game
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #137: Mar 27, 2008 04:41:32 pm
      I think that's fair enough myself. There's no reason for the 'shop window' option if he's leaving on a free at the end of the season. I think it would probably be best for all concerned if he used the rest of the season to not get injured, so he's ready for his new team. In turn, if the opportunity arises for some players to be rested, I'd be very happy to see the likes of Leto (if he's allowed), Insua or Putterill to get a run out.

Quick Reply