Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Will we miss Harry Kewell?

Yes
      (16.5%)
      No
      (83.5%)

Harry Kewell (Liverpool - > Galatasaray)

Read 35366 times
      chatch1973
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 69 posts | -1 
      Re: The Official Harry Kewell thread
      Reply #161: Oct 07, 2008 05:41:17 pm
       I for one was glad to see the back of harry kewell he was just never a liverpool player anyone that bottles it in a champions league final is never good enough to pull on a red shirt
      The Invisible Man
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 352 posts | 18 
      Reply #162: Oct 07, 2008 05:52:48 pm
      I for one was glad to see the back of harry kewell he was just never a liverpool player anyone that bottles it in a champions league final is never good enough to pull on a red shirt

Bottled it? He was F***ing injured, what did you want - him limping around doing nothing?

I'm not going to defend his injury record, or say that he was a never-say-die kinda player, but he injured a muscle and it's impossible to play on when that happens. Did Torres bottle it when his hamstring went a few weeks ago? Of course not.
      mkj1972
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 764 posts |
      Reply #163: Oct 07, 2008 05:59:45 pm
      I seem to remember Kewell starting well and scoring a few in his first few games until he got injured, when he signed i think we all had high hopes for Harry,just a shame he is so injury prone,no one can doubt his talent.
      The Invisible Man
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 352 posts | 18 
      Reply #164: Oct 07, 2008 07:47:37 pm
      Had this message sent to me with a negative rating, not sure why it couldn't have been put in here and debated: "Carra played through cramp, Hamman played with a broken foot"

a) wow, a player played through cramp? That's never happened before!  ::)  Cramp is nasty but it can be played through once it's been stretched out, even though it remains a little tender. A torn muscle cannot. Also, it was extra time and there were no substitutes left.

b) a fracture to the foot, if not majorly serious, can be kept in place by a boot. Also, adrenaline can see you through 'knocks'. Agger and Alonso played on in games with broken feet last season but after those games they were then out for ages. It's often only after, once the player cools down and the boot removed, the foot will then swell. Different injuries inhibit players in different way.

c) a muscle tear after 20 minutes would have meant playing at least 70 minutes limping around while injured. Why is that good for the team? If you'd ever tried to play football with a torn hamstring or groin, you'd know how futile it is. Kewell went to a special training camp in Cadiz to get fit, so why would he walk off after 20 minutes unless he really had to?

dafurf
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 373 posts | -2 
      Reply #165: Oct 07, 2008 07:54:33 pm
      He jumped around like a Roo on the podium with no hint of an injury after we won.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #166: Oct 07, 2008 07:59:41 pm
      He did look pretty well at the end of the game, I'll give dafurf that.

I think the big issue at the time was many Liverpool fans didn't think he deserved to be in that starting XI and as soon as he got injured it was as if he had bullshitted the manager about his fitness to play in that game.

That's why he copped so much stick for it.

Anyway, he's gone now so not worth getting upset about IMO.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #167: Oct 07, 2008 08:22:59 pm
      Scored 3 in his past 5 for Galatasaray and then, you guessed it INJURED! And here's the good bit, it was his groin! So happy he's gone.

Take it Sherrie must be trying for another baby then!

I think fans were generally narked off because you would see a run of maybe three games were we would see flashes of the old Kewell, then for the rest of the games he played in we saw that 'can't be arsed look'.

Appearing on that MTV Cribs done him no favours either.
      The Invisible Man
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 352 posts | 18 
      Reply #168: Oct 07, 2008 08:52:41 pm
      I think fans were generally narked off because you would see a run of maybe three games were we would see flashes of the old Kewell, then for the rest of the games he played in we saw that 'can't be arsed look'.

Don't necessarily disagree with that.

But injuries are different, and bouncing on a podium is hardly the same as trying to beat the AC Milan defence!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #169: Oct 07, 2008 08:57:59 pm
      For those grumbling, he did score two fantastic Derby goals.

Although I'm still trying to work out what that celebration for the second of the two Everton goals was all about?
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #170: Oct 07, 2008 09:23:13 pm
      Why are people going on about the Istanbul thing?

We won, didn't we?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #171: Oct 07, 2008 09:29:27 pm
      Why are people going on about the Istanbul thing?

We won, didn't we?

Think the clues in the title of the thread.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #172: Oct 07, 2008 09:36:57 pm
      Plus it's an international week with not much going on at the club
      chatch1973
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 69 posts | -1 
      Reply #173: Oct 07, 2008 09:43:55 pm
      looks like i opened a can of worms there calling him a bottler at the champions league final, but in mine and i sure many other reds fans eyes he was 3-0 down at half time he just didnt want to know, he was like sh*t of a shovel for his winners medal though wasnt he, jumping up & down like he had a fire cracker up his arse, same at cardiff aswell in the f.a cup final.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #174: Oct 07, 2008 09:46:09 pm
      I think those arguing against you are just fans of the Daddy Cool song!!
      u1m81
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 164 posts | -1 
      Reply #175: Oct 08, 2008 02:28:37 am
      http://www.theage.com.au/news/sport/soccer/injury-set-to-sideline-kewell-for-qualifier/2008/10/06/1223145262189.html

OCCEROOS star Harry Kewell appears an unlikely starter for Australia's World Cup qualifier in Brisbane next week after injury forced him out of his Turkish club's match.

Kewell, who has been in sizzling form for Galatasaray with three goals in his first five games, has a groin strain, which sidelined him for Gala's 2-1 loss to Bursaspor.

The 30-year-old picked up the knock the previous weekend but was still named in Socceroos coach Pim Verbeek's extended 35-man squad to play Qatar in Brisbane tomorrow week.

Verbeek and the Socceroos' medical staff are expected to make a call on Kewell's fitness today after speaking to the player and his club.

It would seem unlikely that Verbeek would risk Kewell, who has had a difficult few years with injuries and has finally managed to string together a substantial amount of game time before his latest setback.

Galatasaray said last week Kewell would have to play in the weekend's match to convince the club to let him travel to Australia.

Also in doubt for the Qatar clash is midfield enforcer Vince Grella, who has just recovered from a calf injury.

Grella, who has only just signed for English Premier League club Blackburn, wants Verbeek to give him leave to ensure he can reach 100% fitness for his club and the Socceroos' remaining World Cup qualifiers.

"Technically, I am fit, but I have only really put in one training session with the team," Grella told the Lancashire Telegraph.

"I have put in a lot of general fitness work, but just probably need the next couple of weeks to get myself fit. There is a strong chance that I will be staying here."

Losing Grella on top of Carl Valeri's suspension would stretch playing stocks.

Qatar, which is top of the Socceroos' group A, will have new coach Bruno Metsu guiding it after Uruguayan Jorge Fossati was forced out because of illness.

The 54-year-old Frenchman took Senegal to the 2002 World Cup quarter-finals and insists Qatar will not be intimidated by the Australians, even though it was easily beaten twice in the previous World Cup qualifying stage.

"I promise you that we will play differently this time around," Metsu told Qatari newspaper Gulf Times.

"We know Australia will have a lot of the ball. We must know in our minds that even though we might be under pressure for large parts of the game, we will get our chances if we keep calm and keep working hard."AAP
      « Last Edit: Oct 08, 2008 04:12:11 pm by JD, Reason: Article inserted. »
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #176: Oct 08, 2008 08:18:31 am
      That link beat me to tell you all the good news about the depth in Australia's talent. He's got an injury, one that doesnt leave him and yet STILL is called in the side and Verbeek said he will be in the 18 man squad. Ridiculous.

And JD touched on it, Harry bullshitted his way into playing some part in the final. He said in an interview here just after we had won that he wasnt 100% but 'felt it was strong enough'. Absolute tosser.
      chatch1973
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 69 posts | -1 
      Reply #177: Oct 08, 2008 08:23:58 am
      See the invisible man as finally disappeared for real over the harry kewell debate!!!!
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #178: Oct 08, 2008 03:42:09 pm

Not being the type of individual to drag up the past
      BUT
      shame on you JD
      The Invisible Man
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 352 posts | 18 
      Reply #179: Oct 08, 2008 03:51:10 pm
      looks like I opened a can of worms there calling him a bottler at the champions league final, but in mine and I sure many other reds fans eyes he was 3-0 down at half time he just didnt want to know, he was like sh*t of a shovel for his winners medal though wasnt he, jumping up & down like he had a fire cracker up his arse, same at cardiff aswell in the f.a cup final.

No, you didn't open a can of worms, you just talked sh*te.

He went off at 1-0 down, after 23 minutes, if you care to get your facts right. He had trained hard to play in the game, and no attacking player would choose to leave the pitch when they could still be the hero, as we were still very much in the game.

Finnan went off at half-time (at 3-0 down by that stage), also with a muscle injury. He looked ok at the end too, no one called him a bottler. And that's because like Kewell, he was genuinely injured.

I'm not Kewell's biggest fan, but it's really lame blaming him for something when you don't even know the facts. The guy got Australia further than ever before at the 2006 World Cup but got injured, so couldn't play in their biggest game. He's injury prone, some players are. Robbie Fowler is, Rob Jones was, and so on.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #180: Oct 08, 2008 04:24:25 pm
      there were stuffs about Kewell chickening out and got booed but i think it was that.
      he just came back form his injury in the final, a gamble benitez took and he was really injured and was off.

finnan also got injured and was replaced by hamann in the 2nd half
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #181: Oct 08, 2008 04:55:52 pm
      I'm not Kewell's biggest fan, but it's really lame blaming him for something when you don't even know the facts. The guy got Australia further than ever before at the 2006 World Cup but got injured, so couldn't play in their biggest game. He's injury prone, some players are. Robbie Fowler is, Rob Jones was, and so on.

He didnt really, he just got all the praise along with Cahill because whatever win Australia gets, is usually down to them anyway even if they do sh*t all.

He scored against Croatia, well done... Cahill (as much as i hate to say it) was the one who helped Australia to get as far as they did.
      The Invisible Man
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 352 posts | 18 
      Reply #182: Oct 08, 2008 05:55:44 pm
      He didnt really, he just got all the praise along with Cahill because whatever win Australia gets, is usually down to them anyway even if they do sh*t all.

He scored against Croatia, well done... Cahill (as much as I hate to say it) was the one who helped Australia to get as far as they did.

Kewell was outstanding against Croatia and did much more than score. I remember watching it wishing we could get him back to that level for us. However, before that game, I don't recall Kewell doing much at the World Cup.
      chatch1973
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 69 posts | -1 
      Reply #183: Oct 08, 2008 06:18:09 pm
      Nice to see the invisible man has reapearred and yes i stand corrected he did go off at 1-0 thanks for reminding me ,however thats not the point im making the point was he didnt want to know, imagine if that was Carra or Gerrard just come back from injury and Rafa was letting them have a run in the CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL the greatest domestic trophy a footballer can win they would have gone out there with only 1 leg and bust a gut for the team. What did harry do he went missing, he looked scared of the grass for fucks sake. The point im making is he was only ever here for the pay packet forget all the crap he said about always being a reds fan,the only colour hes ever been interested in was the clour of money!!!!

Quick Reply