Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      Kolo Toure
      0 (0%)
      Young Joe Gomez
      2 (3.2%)
      Mamadou Sakho
      29 (46.8%)
      Jordon Ibe
      0 (0%)
      Emre Can
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Rossiter
      11 (17.7%)
      Adam Lallana
      8 (12.9%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      5 (8.1%)
      Alberto Moreno
      2 (3.2%)
      Divock Origi
      1 (1.6%)
      Pedro Chirivella
      2 (3.2%)
      Cameron Brannagan
      0 (0%)
      Danny Ings
      2 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Voting closed: Sep 20, 2015 07:55:34 pm

Girondins de Bordeaux 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match debate

Read 27735 times
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Re: Girondins de Bordeaux 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match debate
      Reply #391: Sep 17, 2015 09:32:43 pm
      Ibe is young. This will happen. He's shown he has quality and I'm confident it will return.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #392: Sep 17, 2015 09:35:36 pm
      Toure lost his rag with Mignolet at halftime in the dressing room apparently... I don't blame him !... Dickhead ..

Really, any source for that?

I couldn't blame him either for both parts of it, the punch and the stamp. It was really poor judgement, to be honest he looked terrible and Toure looked pretty decent for his first game this season.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #393: Sep 17, 2015 09:36:29 pm
      Ibe is young. This will happen. He's shown he has quality and I'm confident it will return.

Yeah the fear of failure has got to him in my opinion, he's no longer running at his man at it looks shocking. Needs time out of the side to get the hunger to counter the nerves.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #394: Sep 17, 2015 09:38:36 pm
      Ibe looked sharp and quick at the arse end of last season and in pre season but he's definitely lost that burst of energy..

I just don't understand BR's insistence in playing players out of their natural position expecting them to conform...and Ings is a perfect example.. play him up the middle for Christs sake.. He is NOT a left winger..
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #395: Sep 17, 2015 09:47:08 pm
      Ibe looked sharp and quick at the arse end of last season and in pre season but he's definitely lost that burst of energy..

I just don't understand BR's insistence in playing players out of their natural position expecting them to conform...and Ings is a perfect example.. play him up the middle for Christs sake.. He is NOT a left winger..

Ibe needs to work on his decision making big time. He has all the tools but little understanding of how to use them.

As for Ings playing on the wing I'm at a complete loss.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #396: Sep 17, 2015 09:52:00 pm
      It wasn't just Sakho's reassuring defending ( although he's still prone to the occasional brain fart) but more importantly he provides an outlet from defence into the feet of Coutinho and Lallana without having to resort to hoof ball. Just a shame they weren't quite upto it today.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #397: Sep 17, 2015 09:54:46 pm
      F**kin hell. JUSSIÊ scored against us. Didn't watch the match but a part of me is actually glad for it.

They had Jussie's Giants in your neck of the woods Diego?  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IqznlB1GhI
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 562 posts | 128 
      Reply #398: Sep 17, 2015 10:00:15 pm
      Thought we were flattered by that result. Good goal by Lallana well taken. Defence cut apart again but to be fair in most instances it was the kids who were caught out of position and it would be unfair to criticise them.  Can't understand why once again Brendan left it till the 72nd minute to bring Ings on and why Ibe completed the match. Ings made an immediate impact and played with a sense of urgency that seemed to have eluded most of the team. Ibe was woeful and continued the poor form that he has displayed this season. Maybe the expectation is getting to him. However that's not his fault Brendan picking him and refusing to substitute him is the issue. Final point WTF is up with Migs surely it can't be that hard to catch a football why try to punch clear every time? Is it a crisis of confidence again. Disappointed that we seemed to settle for a draw towards the end and fell deeper and slowed down play. The natch was there for the taking and we once again fell short of the mark.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #399: Sep 17, 2015 10:08:16 pm
      Only other thing I was surprised about was that Firmino travelled but didn't even come on.

Thought we were flattered by that result. Good goal by Lallana well taken.

I thought we were a bit flattered by the draw, but some others think a draw was fair.  Maybe it was a half pointer!

Should beat Bordeaux at home though.  If they're the toughest opponents in the group, which I think they are on ranking, then we should easily be qualifying.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #400: Sep 17, 2015 10:13:21 pm
      I'll take the point on the night.

Insipid.
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 562 posts | 128 
      Reply #401: Sep 17, 2015 10:16:26 pm
      Whilst I agree with JD that we should beat Bordeaux at home nothing that we displayed tonight would make it a given.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,520 posts | 713 
      Reply #402: Sep 17, 2015 10:16:47 pm
      Poor Ibe is gonna suffer at wingback.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,037 posts | 335 
      Reply #403: Sep 17, 2015 10:20:33 pm
      Thought we were flattered by that result. Good goal by Lallana well taken. Defence cut apart again but to be fair in most instances it was the kids who were caught out of position and it would be unfair to criticise them.  Can't understand why once again Brendan left it till the 72nd minute to bring Ings on and why Ibe completed the match. Ings made an immediate impact and played with a sense of urgency that seemed to have eluded most of the team. Ibe was woeful and continued the poor form that he has displayed this season. Maybe the expectation is getting to him. However that's not his fault Brendan picking him and refusing to substitute him is the issue. Final point WTF is up with Migs surely it can't be that hard to catch a football why try to punch clear every time? Is it a crisis of confidence again. Disappointed that we seemed to settle for a draw towards the end and fell deeper and slowed down play. The natch was there for the taking and we once again fell short of the mark.

The fear factor was there at the back, for sure.  But I think we saw some positives (urgency and confidence to try things) from Coutinho, Lallana and Ings, and also Moreno offered width and balance.  Ibe should have been taken off early; he had a poor game and was at fault defensively for several of their chances, as was a centre-back three that clearly need some time to work it out.
      Hats off to the young lads - Chirivella, Rossiter and Branagan, but this was far too important a match for 3 such inexperienced lads.  I'm scratching my head, to be honest (again).  At times we look like amateurs, on and off the field.  I saw a tweet where some Manc WUM referred to us as a pantomime club.  I could throttle him, but ...!
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,037 posts | 335 
      Reply #404: Sep 17, 2015 10:21:41 pm
      Forgot to mention Sakho.  Hard to see why he can't get a Prem game.  Offers loads more than Lovren/Skrtel.
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 562 posts | 128 
      Reply #405: Sep 17, 2015 10:32:23 pm
      Quote from TheleftpegofRayKennedy link=topic=48097.msg1828083#msg1828083
         But I think we saw some positives (urgency and confidence to try things) from Coutinho, Lallana and Ings

I agree with the above but pity Ings was only given 18 minutes when it was obvious things needed changing earlier
      « Last Edit: Sep 17, 2015 11:18:24 pm by JD »
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,037 posts | 335 
      Reply #406: Sep 17, 2015 10:37:33 pm
      Totally agree.  He offers what we've missed this season.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,037 posts | 335 
      Reply #407: Sep 17, 2015 10:40:38 pm
      We've got the players, we just need the belief - and the management to give them the best opportunity to succeed in the ways they're best at - by playing the best lads where they play best.  Easy.  I could do it myself in my sleep.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,146 posts | 4897 
      Reply #408: Sep 17, 2015 11:00:34 pm
      Not seen the game but a draw away in Europe is a decent result.

Likewise.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #409: Sep 17, 2015 11:01:33 pm
      Overall a fairly poor display against a poor team, we should have beaten them comfortably and will someone please tell Brendan to start playing with 2 strikers, and no I don't mean Origi, and also play Sakho in defence.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,290 posts | 1514 
      Reply #410: Sep 17, 2015 11:50:47 pm
      Won't be voting for MOTM s I only saw second half. FFS Forgot it was 6;00 pm ko and had visitors. Would have hurried them up if i'd remembered.
      Anyway, saw second half and thought on the strength of that alone, we did look a bit more eager in the middle, and we did create a couple of chances. Defensively, how many times did two or three players follow the ball and go for the same player, leaving other players unmarked in our box.
      See the defensive coaches must have had a few days off in the week.
      Looked a bit sharper, a bit more pace about us tonight, but overall, still pretty poor to be honest.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,290 posts | 1514 
      Reply #411: Sep 17, 2015 11:54:50 pm
      At times we look like amateurs, on and off the field.  I saw a tweet where some Manc WUM referred to us as a pantomime club.  I could throttle him, but ...!

A F***ing pamntomine club, ! From a manc  ? are you serious, after they had the two neville brothers for years.
      The premiership's ugly sisters.  Couldn't make it up could you.  Thick as sh*t those mancs.....
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #412: Sep 18, 2015 01:42:31 am
      Ibe needs to work on his decision making big time. He has all the tools but little understanding of how to use them.

As for Ings playing on the wing I'm at a complete loss.
      Don't faint baz' but i'm 100% in agreeance with you on those two points
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #413: Sep 18, 2015 06:17:09 am
      I thought we were poor/average at best against a capable but not exceptional midtable French team that I expected us to beat quite comfortably. I accept that we played a very young team with the 3 young lads doing quite well considering, however I cannot understand why we shouldn't have been seeing the likes of Ilori, Markovic, Teixeira etc etc even Firmino would imo have benefitted from a run out if we are indeed trying to actually progress rather than just give young lads first team experience.

Certainly the only player that impressed enough to be a certainty for our next match was Sakho, although Lallana who didn't have a great game may have convinced Brendan with his well taken goal. Coutinho after a good first half faded, Morino became more suspect as the game went on while Can and Gomez played like strangers (which they probably were to be fair)

I thought the young lads did well.

Ibe looked totally out of form and was another who's play became worse the longer the game went on. Certainly can't have done his confidence much good. 

A draw wasn't a disaster but I still feel we could have done so much better and wouldn't like to think how I would feel if this draw eventually costs us. 

Quick Reply