Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

NaNoWriMo 2007

Read 15016 times
      DM Osbon
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,505 posts | 13 
      NaNoWriMo 2007
      Oct 31, 2007 10:03:26 am
      Ok guys I've set myself up for this one :f_doh:...it works out I have to write about 1666 words a day during November. I have a friend who managed it with a few days to spare last year.

There is still time to register for those budding novelists out there!

http://www.nanowrimo.org/

What is NaNoWriMo?

National Novel Writing Month is a fun, seat-of-your-pants approach to novel writing. Participants begin writing November 1. The goal is to write a 175-page (50,000-word) novel by midnight, November 30.

Valuing enthusiasm and perseverance over painstaking craft, NaNoWriMo is a novel-writing program for everyone who has thought fleetingly about writing a novel but has been scared away by the time and effort involved.

Because of the limited writing window, the ONLY thing that matters in NaNoWriMo is output. It's all about quantity, not quality. The kamikaze approach forces you to lower your expectations, take risks, and write on the fly.

Make no mistake: You will be writing a lot of crap. And that's a good thing. By forcing yourself to write so intensely, you are giving yourself permission to make mistakes. To forgo the endless tweaking and editing and just create. To build without tearing down.

As you spend November writing, you can draw comfort from the fact that, all around the world, other National Novel Writing Month participants are going through the same joys and sorrows of producing the Great Frantic Novel. Wrimos meet throughout the month to offer encouragement, commiseration, and—when the thing is done—the kind of raucous celebrations that tend to frighten animals and small children.

In 2006, we had over 79,000 participants. Nearly 13,000 of them crossed the 50k finish line by the midnight deadline, entering into the annals of NaNoWriMo superstardom forever. They started the month as auto mechanics, out-of-work actors, and middle school English teachers. They walked away novelists.

So, to recap:

What: Writing one 50,000-word novel from scratch in a month's time.

Who: You! We can't do this unless we have some other people trying it as well. Let's write laughably awful yet lengthy prose together.

Why: The reasons are endless! To actively participate in one of our era's most enchanting art forms! To write without having to obsess over quality. To be able to make obscure references to passages from our novels at parties. To be able to mock real novelists who dawdle on and on, taking far longer than 30 days to produce their work.

When: Sign-ups begin October 1, 2007. Writing begins November 1. To be added to the official list of winners, you must reach the 50,000-word mark by November 30 at midnight. Once your novel has been verified by our web-based team of robotic word counters, the partying begins.

Still confused? Just visit the How NaNoWriMo Works page!
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Re: NaNoWriMo 2007
      Reply #1: Oct 31, 2007 10:23:12 am
      I'd love to, but I really haven't got that much time mate!
      DM Osbon
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,505 posts | 13 
      Reply #2: Oct 31, 2007 10:39:22 am
      funny thing is I don't think I have either being married & such but am going to give it a try...will keep you updated how I am getting on over the course of the month.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #3: Oct 31, 2007 10:40:54 am
      Good luck!
      MsGerrard
      Reply #4: Oct 31, 2007 10:42:12 am
      funny thing is I don't think I have either being married & such but am going to give it a try...will keep you updated how I am getting on over the course of the month.

All the best with it and good luck, keep us posted as to how you are geting on :)
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #5: Oct 31, 2007 10:46:59 am
      Do you think if you post the novel on here it will be under the maximum post length? :D

You could always serialise it :D :D :D
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #6: Oct 31, 2007 10:48:29 am
      Longest thing I've ever written is 30k...and that took me a year. :P
      DM Osbon
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,505 posts | 13 
      Reply #7: Oct 31, 2007 10:53:01 am
      Do you think if you post the novel on here it will be under the maximum post length? :D

You could always serialise it :D :D :D

I'm sure it will read like a pig at the end...won't be doing any editing just full frontal word splurg...hehe
      Posted on: October 31, 2007, 10:52:14 AM
      All the best with it and good luck, keep us posted as to how you are geting on :)

Will do...my poor little fingers!
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #8: Oct 31, 2007 01:09:08 pm
      What's the plot?

Give us a bit of a synopsis.

If your stuck for ideas or get writer's block we could all chip in with a few suggestions.

How about the Great Rotation Conspiracy? >:D
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #9: Oct 31, 2007 05:34:38 pm
      Many thanks for the link DM, I have needed something to encourage me to write for a while now so I have signed up. I once started writing finished five chapters and then just binned it because I couldn't be bothered anymore, but with a deadline to complete my literary masterpiece I am sure I will finish it this time? 
      Thanks again for the link mate and good luck for finishing on the 30th
      « Last Edit: Oct 31, 2007 05:38:04 pm by Glenbuck »
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #10: Oct 31, 2007 06:18:44 pm
      Not quite sure what I'm letting myself in for, but I've decided to give it a go.
      DM Osbon
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,505 posts | 13 
      Reply #11: Oct 31, 2007 06:27:02 pm
      Many thanks for the link DM, I have needed something to encourage me to write for a while now so I have signed up. I once started writing finished five chapters and then just binned it because I couldn't be bothered anymore, but with a deadline to complete my literary masterpiece I am sure I will finish it this time? 
      Thanks again for the link mate and good luck for finishing on the 30th

Not quite sure what I'm letting myself in for, but I've decided to give it a go.

Great guys...let me know if you want to be added to my 'writers buddies' on the official site, we can nag the hell out of each other there then too!
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #12: Oct 31, 2007 06:27:27 pm

Well in mate, some of the driv...... sorry well constructed pieces you put on here should mean you will have no problem.  ;D

If i can be serious for my one and only time on this forum, good luck mate i hope we can all stick at it and finish on the 30th.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #13: Oct 31, 2007 06:37:11 pm
      Is it just us three then?

You two got any idea what you're gonna write about yet?
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #14: Oct 31, 2007 06:40:21 pm
      My wilderness years as a pre-op transexual haunted by the feeling I should in fact be an Evertonian called Beryl.

Are you allowed to write a sort of autobiography? because i always wanted to do something like that, you know a sort of memento for my kids to show them where i and they came from, but having looked at my top paragraph i'm not sure they would want to know. ;D If its a case of you can write anything i suppose thats the way i would go, what about yourselves Eddie,DM any gems working there way round your head?
      « Last Edit: Oct 31, 2007 06:45:01 pm by Glenbuck »
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #15: Oct 31, 2007 06:42:15 pm
      My wilderness years as a pre-op transexual haunted by the feeling I should in fact be an Evertonian called Beryl.

:lmao: :lmao:  I'll look forward to reading the finished article Glenbuck  ;)
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #16: Oct 31, 2007 06:47:28 pm
      :lmao: :lmao:  I'll look forward to reading the finished article Glenbuck  ;)

I will try and show you some little pieces as i progress Smigs! ;D
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #17: Oct 31, 2007 06:50:46 pm
      I'm kinda thinking along the same lines Glenbuck. I was a bit of a scally up until I sorted myself out when I was about 16, I was thinking about writing something along the lines of what could've happened if I hadn't sorted myself out, so kinda part fact, part fiction.
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #18: Oct 31, 2007 07:00:07 pm
      I'm kinda thinking along the same lines Glenbuck. I was a bit of a scally up until I sorted myself out when I was about 16, I was thinking about writing something along the lines of what could've happened if I hadn't sorted myself out, so kinda part fact, part fiction.

I like it Eddie mate, and as i'm "slightly" older i dont even need the fiction, in fact i think i have enough material to rival war and peace!
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #19: Oct 31, 2007 07:10:28 pm
      Right, got my basic plot together.

It's gonna be a life story, told in the first person. Up to the age of 16 it's all gonna be very close to what actually happened in my life, but instead of growing out of being a scally like I did, my character's gonna get more & more involved in the criminal world. It's gonna culminate in him going down for a long time for something he didn't do and then there's gonna be a twist at the end which is a secret for now. It's just a basic outline for now, gonna get typing tomorrow & see where it leads. Still not sure I'm gonna be able to make it last 50,000 words though.

On the note of the word count, how are you guys actually gonna measure it? I was thinking that I might not bother to count the words & just stick to the 175 page target, will be a lot easier.
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #20: Oct 31, 2007 07:39:55 pm
      Right, got my basic plot together.

It's gonna be a life story, told in the first person. Up to the age of 16 it's all gonna be very close to what actually happened in my life, but instead of growing out of being a scally like I did, my character's gonna get more & more involved in the criminal world. It's gonna culminate in him going down for a long time for something he didn't do and then there's gonna be a twist at the end which is a secret for now. It's just a basic outline for now, gonna get typing tomorrow & see where it leads. Still not sure I'm gonna be able to make it last 50,000 words though.

On the note of the word count, how are you guys actually gonna measure it? I was thinking that I might not bother to count the words & just stick to the 175 page target, will be a lot easier.

I am going for a word count myself Eddie as i know how long its going to take me to reel off a couple of thousand at at a time, believe me two fingered typing is not going to be of benefit in this little project. ;D
      I realise some days i will probably carry on typing for Britain but they will more than make up for the Sunday mornings when i do nothing because of an alcohol induced brain ache!, then again don't all artists over indulge? or is that just p*ss artists? ;D
      MsGerrard
      Reply #21: Oct 31, 2007 08:03:51 pm
      This should be good you guys, I so look forward to reading your masterpieces ;)
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #22: Oct 31, 2007 08:41:22 pm
      I think I may sign up for this too, I used to write a few stories at school/college and have been meaning to start doing some again but have never really pushed myself to do it.  This project looks like the inspiration I have been looking for.

Cheers DM I look forward to reading yours and everyone else's :)

Quick Reply