Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      Koloverhead kick Toure
      4 (6.3%)
      Emre Can
      5 (7.8%)
      Joe Xavi Allen
      6 (9.4%)
      Jordan Rossiter
      10 (15.6%)
      Adam Lallana
      22 (34.4%)
      Jordon Ibe
      1 (1.6%)
      Divock Origi
      5 (7.8%)
      Danny Ings
      10 (15.6%)
      Phil Coutinho
      1 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Voting closed: Oct 04, 2015 10:14:53 pm

Liverpool 1-1 FC Sion: In game and Post Match hmmm

Read 35368 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Re: Liverpool 1-1 FC Sion: In game and Post Match hmmm
      Reply #506: Oct 01, 2015 11:59:33 pm
      Just got in from the match and it's sad to say but I'm not dissapointed because expectations have dropped so low.  Interesting to see the varying opinions on the players tonight which differ from mine. Migs couple of saves,  usual slow distribution, must obviously be coached to never catch the ball cos he's sh*t hot at not catching it, Ibe played with a lot of passion but it's just not working for him, Rossiter showed that he still has a lot to learn but tried hard, Allen couple of good passes, odd tackle here and there, lots of passes to no one, lots of missed tackles, lots of the usual sideways and backwards passes. Can my MOTM played with a lot of passion throughout and tried to make it happen. Origi least said the better. Brendan baffling as ever why take off Ings who looked like he might score and leave on Origi who couldn't hit a barn door even if he took two touches too many every time. Why not have played Sakho and Toure in defence from the off and put Can in midfield? And finally how could I forget the usual comedy defence. I really fear for us on Sunday, it has all the hallmarks of an embarrassment coming up.

Swerving the cup games this season, but watching from tv, I'd say Ibe was playing to manager's orders second half, didn't get forward as much as he seemed to be covering that right wing back role, so imo anyway he seemed to be cautious with when to go forward. Again that is something I lay at the managers door. He did the same with Markovic last season and it's to the detriment of both players as they are essentially attacking players.
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 566 posts | 128 
      Reply #507: Oct 02, 2015 12:14:16 am
      Swerving the cup games this season, but watching from tv, I'd say Ibe was playing to manager's orders second half, didn't get forward as much as he seemed to be covering that right wing back role, so imo anyway he seemed to be cautious with when to go forward. Again that is something I lay at the managers door. He did the same with Markovic last season and it's to the detriment of both players as they are essentially attacking players.

You're probably 100% correct. I think it was probably his best performance to date this season. I think the expectation of filling Sterling's boots has maybe got to him so far and I think he is displaying the usual drop in form that youngsters seem to have in their 2nd season.
      Thought he tried hard tonight whatever the instructions.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #508: Oct 02, 2015 12:17:40 am
      As I approached the ground, their was a low key, slightly positive hum in the crowd, not the nervous, tense atmosphere I've experienced of late.  I climbed the stairs, heading towards my the standing, stopping off to grab a bottle of water, profit gouging price of £2.30 and they don't even let you keep the lid, my heart sank and I remembered why I usually sneak my own drink in. As I made my way to my seat, 10 minutes before kick-off, it was in virtual silence and filmed Y.N.W.A. than sang it.  We did witness the only time Mignolet would venture off his line in the first half, as he went a round, shaking his team mates' hands.

The game kicked off, a few half hearted songs were sung and we scored.  It was a good move and we created a couple more chances, but their equaliser had an air of inevitability about it, and my heart sank as, not for the first time, the hopeful lob, over our back line, found its target, this time onside, a heavy touch gave Simon a choice to make, he stuttered, hesitated and made the wrong one.  This, effectively, is where the game ended, yes we created four more, gilt-edged chances, Origi should have had a hat-trick, Lallana certainly should have gotten our second, it's not like we didn't create, we just failed. 

I'm struggling to understand the substitutes, I'm struggling to understand how Joe Allen stayed on the pitch for ninety minutes.  I'll struggle to understand Rodgers after match explanation, I've not heard it yet, but I think that last one is nailed on.

Most of all today, I learned an important lesson today, when going to an evening game, All-bran should not be the breakfast of choice and I barely made it back to the hotel.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #509: Oct 02, 2015 12:20:24 am
      * Asks to play weakened team
      * Gets angry when weakened team doesn't win

If it looks like a hypocrite and sounds like a hypocrite, it may be a hypocrite. Just saying there are a few of you out there.

Personally I think we should be full guns blazing in this competition since it now guarantees a CL spot. May be the best shot we have. 
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #510: Oct 02, 2015 12:52:44 am
      Brendan is almost taking the piss it's hard to analyse his approach and set up with any rationality.

Rossiter and Allen to run the midfield is mind boggling at best without slaughtering young Jordan  he is miles behind some other young talent we have either sold, loaned or refusing to play. Welsh Xabi was his usual self ineffective.

2 out of possible 6 points in a relatively sh*t group does not indicate Brendan gives a sh*t about this competition.

Depressing times first time in my life I am actually dreading and shitting myself for the derby, thank you Brendan.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #511: Oct 02, 2015 12:53:15 am

If it looks like a hypocrite and sounds like a hypocrite, it may be a hypocrite. Just saying there are a few of you out there.

Personally I think we should be full guns blazing in this competition since it now guarantees a CL spot. May be the best shot we have. 

Thing is though :bert:, the money he has spent over the summers with us, even his "weakened" teams should be easily winning these matches. It wasn't all that weakened either. Granted not all these started but they did all play; Migs, Clyne, Can, Sakho, Moreno, Coutinho, Allen, Lallana, Ibe and now Ings at the moment, either have been regulars for a couple of seasons with us now or have been for at least this season. Toure has plenty of experience at the highest level too. Other than Origi, Rossiter and Gomez, the latter of which was a regular in the first few games were the only ones that will only feature in these sorts of games. We had a good (if that's the right word) £100millions worth on the pitch.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #512: Oct 02, 2015 12:54:34 am

Weakened team should have won.

Rodgers didn't make very good subsitutions either.

Just calling it as I see it. Think I've earned some grace being one of Rodgers most outspoken supporters clear through the end of last season and this summer as well.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #513: Oct 02, 2015 01:08:06 am
      Just got back from the game, what a shower of sh*t that was!!!

Cracking start, 15 minutes in I said to my uncle if we don't do these by 3 or 4 there's something wrong. Clearly there is something very, very wrong. Sion are a very ordinary limited team, and we put a performance in like that.

Barring the first 10-15 minutes I've never been so bored and frustrated at a live game. I'm not going to go into he was this, he was that. Nobody shone some were worse than others. But my god where are the leaders of this once great club (on & off the field)!!!

I've held out wanting rid of BR unlike many but he's lost it, the fans the players. I'm afraid it's time to face facts we need a new face at the helm, us fans needed a smile putting back on our faces, we need entertaining we most definitely don't need anymore of what I've just sat through.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #514: Oct 02, 2015 01:10:40 am
      Unfortunately I missed the the match but reading the last few pages look like we were sh*te.
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #515: Oct 02, 2015 01:16:47 am
      im not even sure if these can be called poor performances anymore - it seems to be the norm nowdays.

Players passing the ball so slow, no invention, poor passing, poor defending, no spark, no fight, no heart. just happy to get to the final third then pass back to a defender or midfielder who will whoof it forward to make it a 50/50.

5 at the back and a keeper who all play as individuals, and poor individuals at that.

i could go through and pick out some faults from individuals - but ill be here all night.

liverpool are breaking my heart
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #516: Oct 02, 2015 01:58:08 am
      im not even sure if these can be called poor performances anymore - it seems to be the norm nowdays.

Players passing the ball so slow, no invention, poor passing, poor defending, no spark, no fight, no heart. just happy to get to the final third then pass back to a defender or midfielder who will whoof it forward to make it a 50/50.

5 at the back and a keeper who all play as individuals, and poor individuals at that.

i could go through and pick out some faults from individuals - but ill be here all night.

liverpool are breaking my heart

We do seem to dither on the ball a lot more. One of the things we did so well when Suarez and Danny were tearing teams up was we zipped the ball around quickly, not giving the defense a chance to press us very effectively. Now everyone seems to be thinking too much and not acting quicking enough.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #517: Oct 02, 2015 02:45:59 am
      The "modern game" suggests that tonight, we lacked a Molby, Alonso, Gerrard,Hamman in midfield, someone who could unlock the door, we had no one on the pitch that had the key

Molby was exactly the type of player I was craving also.
      Alongside a hamman was my fantasy as I day dreamed through that turgid performance.
      Saying that, I thought Allen did ok and Rossiter gave an encouraging display at times
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #518: Oct 02, 2015 02:51:50 am
      We do seem to dither on the ball a lot more. One of the things we did so well when Suarez and Danny were tearing teams up was we zipped the ball around quickly, not giving the defense a chance to press us very effectively. Now everyone seems to be thinking too much and not acting quicking enough.

To me it seems that the players are terrified of the ball and the focus that it brings.
      They are all hiding.
      All do a bit of running around and pretend to be involved but seem to be utterly drowning in the pressure that the shirt brings.
      What I would do for a young Gerrard, carragher, souness or smith.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #519: Oct 02, 2015 02:54:41 am

I used to fall asleep each night by reminiscing about some of our great teams over the years and attempting to recall who played in each position.

Lately I have taken to trying to pick our best team for an upcoming game and what formation to pick.
      End result? Utter insomnia. Far too stressful.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #520: Oct 02, 2015 07:13:57 am
      Thing is though :bert:, the money he has spent over the summers with us, even his "weakened" teams should be easily winning these matches. It wasn't all that weakened either. Granted not all these started but they did all play; Migs, Clyne, Can, Sakho, Moreno, Coutinho, Allen, Lallana, Ibe and now Ings at the moment, either have been regulars for a couple of seasons with us now or have been for at least this season. Toure has plenty of experience at the highest level too. Other than Origi, Rossiter and Gomez, the latter of which was a regular in the first few games were the only ones that will only feature in these sorts of games. We had a good (if that's the right word) £100millions worth on the pitch.

Understand what you're both saying lads, but you two wouldn't be my first thoughts when I was posting that as you actually make arguments with reasoned points. Just hate the hyperbolic nature of the reactions after flat out demands were made to play a weakened team. I mean yea we should beat Sion with ease but if you field a weakened team that's never played together before then you always run that risk irregardless of opposition.

I don't think it's fair for those who demanded a weakened team to use the fact that Roger's played a weakened team against him, and that's what's happening. Again I'm happy enough for reasoned arguments, I'm completely outraged that we did field a team with such a lack of cohesion. The Europa League is a big target this year, I didn't hear anyone saying 'play the kids' in 2001 and we were in all competitions until the end back then. If a professional player cannot play on a Thursday and then again at the weekend then they have a fitness issue plain and simple. Sure rest Sturridge and Bentekers who have injury issues, but not the rest of the bloody team.

My point is I'd like to see a little more intellectual and reasoned arguments on here like I do from you two lads. Some people just argue like children. Every time I read "ROGERS OUT NOW!!!!!!"  posted on its own I sigh, it's like... Cheers for your insight you fud.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #521: Oct 02, 2015 07:17:09 am
      Rodgers::"I am immensely enjoying the job, it is a great challenge and it is a rebuilding."
      Rodgers;; "There is no doubt we want to qualify and get through to the knockout stages but we are picking teams to get a result

I really don't know what to say  :mad:

YNWA
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,529 posts | 1083 
      Reply #522: Oct 02, 2015 07:30:13 am
      Did not see the game ... just the result and that was enough to bring anger out again at rodgers. So to repeat my anger here my feelings are this.

You get a champions league place for winning this competition ... we could have secured qualification after 3 games IF WE HAD PICKED A PROPER FU*KING TEAM WITH A PROPER FUC*ING FORMATION !!!!

Heres an idea brendan .... if you had picked your best team in a proper formation we would have beat bordeoux ... norwich ... villa and sion and be taking 4 wins into the derby.

Instead of FUC*KING about with the team on a game by game basis ... how does actually winning a FUC*ING game sound ???? How about building up some cohesion and understanding ... as well as momentum.

If rodgers cannot see that 442 diamond with moreno and clyne as full backs is the way to play then he has no business at this club.

Sunday is only going to end one way ... it will have been a long time in the making and it should finally be the end of rodgers. He should have gone in the summer. Now he needs to go before the season is a right off.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #523: Oct 02, 2015 09:55:54 am
      Rodgers::"I am immensely enjoying the job, it is a great challenge and it is a rebuilding."
      Oh dear.

Many, many, moons ago I got slated [along with Blood, I believe] for calling Brendan a "bull-shi**er". It was rightly pointed out that all managers tell porkies. Rather than argue the toss over the difference I let it lie but... this?

There is [or at least there shouldn't be] no F***ing way Brendan should be enjoying what is happening. In fact; he should be totally scundered. He just has to be bull-shitting.

The scary thing for me (if he's not bull-shitting) is that this being said without irony; that is being said by a man who feels comfortable saying it; that he is assured of his position and that is just wrong.

He shouldn't be feeling comfortable or assured: he should be showing shame, anger, aggression and the passion to get things right: not bull-shitting bull-shitters.

I've had enough.  :-[

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #524: Oct 02, 2015 10:06:49 am
      What weeks ago hardly seemed possible is the new reality, we are getting worse. Yes we had the "chances to win it" last night, but lets not kid ourselves here or beat around the bush. We were absolutely awful, terrible and completely bereft of ideas, confidence or inspiration. I've checked online this morning and Everton are 6/4 to beat us on Sunday, at home. They didn't have a game in midweek and are playing well. It is the football price of the season so far by a country mile.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #525: Oct 02, 2015 10:16:30 am
      We really aren't very good are we.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #526: Oct 02, 2015 10:23:51 am
      We really aren't very good are we.

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #527: Oct 02, 2015 10:26:20 am
      Molby was exactly the type of player I was craving also.
      Alongside a hamman was my fantasy as I day dreamed through that turgid performance.
      Saying that, I thought Allen did ok and Rossiter gave an encouraging display at times

Can't agree with Allen being OK, got a couple of decent passes in, but was left chasing his shadow most the game and a wet tissue would have been stronger than him.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #528: Oct 02, 2015 12:13:55 pm
      Unfortunately I missed the the match but reading the last few pages look like we were sh*te.

Just save this post mate as it will do for any game you miss while the current manager is still in charge.

Quick Reply