Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1518560 times
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #12673: May 06, 2017 11:36:33 am
      True , but we should play him when he's fit.

..... when ..... 
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #12674: May 06, 2017 11:37:43 am
      Quote from KopiteLuke
      :D For your further amusement:

Squawka Football‏Verified account @Squawka  3h3 hours ago
      Most chances created in Europe's top 5 leagues this season:

Don't like this "top 5 league" nonsense. It's ridiculous. Sky do it on a regular basis. Probably most famously when comparing Iceland's players to England's before they played in the Euros, as if it means anything. Iceland had 0 such players iirc. They still beat England anyway.

There's 53 European top flights. I would rather know how we rank in that.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #12675: May 06, 2017 12:34:54 pm
      There's 53 European top flights. I would rather know how we rank in that.

I don't pay too much attention to these stats but comparison with the 'Top 5' leagues is much more relevant than all 53 top flights.

You really think comparing our chances created with the likes of the Irish League is relevant?

Used Irish League as an example as it's my local top flight. Standard of football is abysmal.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #12676: May 06, 2017 12:46:52 pm
      I accept that, but that wasn't my point. I was not talking about the quality of the league, I said I don't like the arbitrary "top 5" cut off point. What about the top 8, or top 10 even? How far should we go, before imposing a cut off?

As regards the quality of the league we're in, the destination of the title was known several months ago. That tells me something about the current quality of it.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #12677: May 06, 2017 12:48:12 pm
      Very difficult to correlate headers conceded and defensive mistakes leading to goals. Fact is we concede far to many. Matip and Lovren could attack the ball a bit more, get that clearing header in John Terry style.

But we must be higher up the defensive mistake league than our rivals.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #12678: May 06, 2017 12:51:23 pm
      An interesting bit of research that shows just how few shots per game we concede in open play, something I've been banging on about without the clear numbers to hand.

The part that I find most interesting is how the other teams who have conceded so few shots are actually the leaders in the league yet we find ourselves behind them while also scoring a near equal or greater number:

Liverpool 176
      City 194
      Spurs 196
      Chelsea 209
      United 209
      Arsenal 229
      Southampton 240
      Everton 249

It's clear there's a strong correlation between shots allowed and league position, it's not like for like but a fair indicator. What also correlates, not surprisingly, is goals against with Chelsea, Spurs, United and City being the teams that concede the least goals in the league.

It does seem odd that we're so much better at allowing fewer shots (it is a considerable margin to be ahead of everyone) that we're so far behind in goal difference with the likes of Chelsea. Food for thought if nothing else.

Credit Source:
      Garry Gelade‏ @GarryGelade  5h5 hours ago
      I was doing something else and found this (ex. pens/set pieces)

I've heard Klopp speak about how little we concede from open play a few times, so it's nice to see some evidence of what he says.

Of course that just makes the set piece nightmares stand out even more.
      If we can get that sorted, it'll go a long way to moving us up where we want to be.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #12679: May 06, 2017 12:59:05 pm
      I've heard Klopp speak about how little we concede from open play a few times, so it's nice to see some evidence of what he says.

Of course that just makes the set piece nightmares stand out even more.
      If we can get that sorted, it'll go a long way to moving us up where we want to be.
      The trouble is teams don't usually need too many chances from open play to score against us, the amount of times I've seen teams with 1 shot on target leading us 1-0 is sickening.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #12680: May 06, 2017 01:02:17 pm
      The trouble is teams don't usually need too many chances from open play to score against us, the amount of times I've seen teams with 1 shot on target leading us 1-0 is sickening.

And yet the stats don't back that up at all.
      Nor does Klopp for that matter; look back at what he's said about our defending in open play.

Of course we get a bit unlucky sometimes, and I suppose that sticks in the memory, but personally, I don't remember too many of those.

We also have to realise that our opponents are going to play well and get goals.
      No team can keep them all out.
      It's the way we defend set pieces which is my biggest concern, and has been for a while.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #12681: May 07, 2017 01:25:08 pm
      Said in pre match interview that he's aware that Soton have no pressure on them and could hit the ground running. Got the team expecting a flyer from Soton, everyone sharp from the off. So if we get hit cold..
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #12682: May 07, 2017 03:22:56 pm
      klopp again makes huge mistakes and the same mistakes  :mad:

ffs
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #12683: May 07, 2017 03:27:29 pm
      Terrible performance by the boss by picking the wrong team then compounded by not realising until the games almost over.
      Baffling performance today Jürgen.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #12684: May 07, 2017 03:30:55 pm
      It should be apparent now to Jürgen that Origi shouldn't be starting these games, I don't care if Sturridge stabbed his mother, he needs to start the next game.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #12685: May 07, 2017 03:33:55 pm
      Grim.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #12686: May 07, 2017 03:37:42 pm
      How many times can you try the same thing and fail before switching it up?

Milner experiment is OVER. It's an eye-sore how F***ing obvious that is.

Gini is rubbish.

Firmino needs to play central.

This shape plays in to the hands of every team that sits deep against us and thats 16/19 teams in this league.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #12687: May 07, 2017 03:39:52 pm
      Too cautious in the first XI today, and too slow making changes.

No Weissbier for you tonite Jurgi.

But in the post match interview, did remind us we got a point, which I guess we should be thankful for ?!  :-\
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #12688: May 07, 2017 03:40:30 pm
      I'm actually concerned that Klopp has once more showed his reluctance to make a change when it was apparent that things were not working. The fact that he kept insisting on playing Origi in his last few games despite the player doing next to nothing makes me worried that he might think that most players in our current squad are good enough.
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #12689: May 07, 2017 03:47:52 pm
      This is our results against teams outside of top 7 since the turn of the year:

Sunderland   2–2   Liverpool   
      Liverpool   2–3   Swansea City   
      Hull City   2–0   Liverpool   
      Leicester City   3–1   Liverpool   
      Liverpool   2–1   Burnley
      Liverpool   2–2   AFC Bournemouth
      Stoke City   1–2   Liverpool
      West Bromwich Albion   0–1   Liverpool   
      Liverpool   1–2   Crystal Palace
      Watford   0–1   Liverpool   
      Liverpool   0–0   Southampton

That's 4 losses, 3 draws, and 3 narrow (and lucky) wins.
      It's been 4 months and we haven't found a solution to beat these teams. That is why I never felt as confident as many of you guys about our run-in.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #12690: May 07, 2017 03:48:05 pm
      Hopefully he will learn from this defeat and also in the big picture learn from not having a good enough squad. All on him to fix.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #12691: May 07, 2017 03:52:53 pm
      Hopefully he will learn from this defeat and also in the big picture learn from not having a good enough squad. All on him to fix.

The quality of our squad isn't going to get all that much better after we fail to quality for the Champions League.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #12692: May 07, 2017 04:14:30 pm
      How many times can you try the same thing and fail before switching it up?

Milner experiment is OVER. It's an eye-sore how f**king obvious that is.

Gini is rubbish.

Firmino needs to play central.

This shape plays in to the hands of every team that sits deep against us and thats 16/19 teams in this league.

Agreed.

Really disappointed with Jürgen today. Got away with it against Watford, could have got away with it today if we'd scored the gift of a penalty but he had to learn that lesson quicker.

Sure Sturridge looked slow when he came on, that's fair but he was still much more effective with his back to goal closely marked by defenders. He still has fantastic technique and still understands how to create space in tight areas. No idea why neither he nor Lalllana didn't start.

Then to take off Lucas instead of Gini who was basically invisible was a really poor choice imo. Granted he was playing the defensive role but he was actually providing more of a threat going forward than either of our other midfielders were. Same with Milner and Clyne, they're failures in the role of providing any threat whatsoever, TAA could have started instead of either of them and provided much more going forward. As it was we endured 60+ minutes of turgid football while Origi tried to figure out what his role in the team really is, while Milner continued to hit brick walls and Clyne looked good running absolutely nowhere. You can carry a certain amount in a team but when the opposition sit as far back as that it falls to your striker and widest players to make the biggest impact and in those areas we are the weakest we could possibly be, all 3 were completely ineffectual.

Gutted, CL qualification right on the brink now.

green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #12693: May 07, 2017 04:22:20 pm

Sure Sturridge looked slow when he came on, that's fair but he was still much more effective with his back to goal closely marked by defenders. He still has fantastic technique and still understands how to create space in tight areas. No idea why neither he nor Lalllana didn't start.

Sturridge and Lallana are good in tight spaces. Origi is not. It's hardly rocket science. How could Klopp not see that?  :mad:
      DanRed44
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 121 posts | 18 
      Reply #12694: May 07, 2017 04:49:34 pm
      Sorry Klopp but that was horrendous, every fan and every pundit can see the problems, no width, slow build up play, midfield 3 who offer little creativity, no pace without Mane, bored of the same old struggles, not good enough!!!!!!!!!!!
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #12695: May 07, 2017 05:09:33 pm
      Slowly becoming one of the most conservative, inflexible, predictable managers about.

Gutted, CL qualification right on the brink now.

Don't deserve to be in the CL playing like this.
      « Last Edit: May 07, 2017 05:13:51 pm by Alfie2510 »

Quick Reply