Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1527505 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #12972: Jul 28, 2017 01:18:55 pm
      Hi guys , i've been reading this forum for over 4 yrs and have finally decided to start giving my opinion.

My biggest worry about the upcoming season is that we don't have a reliable top striker. No team has ever won our league without a go-to striker who gets one sniff in a tight game and puts it away.

IMO we need all our midfielders to step up a few gears and perform consistently. Also our keepers are fragile and will be found wanting. Fullback positions are a liability that will be found out.

C'mon Jürgen get nasty. That's what this team needs.

good post mate, welcome to the forum.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #12973: Jul 28, 2017 01:41:37 pm
      It's an odd one this thing about theories being "debunked". If it wasn't that teams found us out a bit, and it wasn't that it would have been quite handy if we'd had a striker who scored a few more goals, and it wasn't that the squad was a bit lacking in depth, why did we fall away in the second half of the season?

According to Jürgen it appears to be we had lots of injuries/lots of matches/a player at the African nations/a bunch of players who listened to irrelevant peoples opinions etc. He's probably right, he knows more than all of us. I can't help thinking though that the lack of depth, lack of a striker who scores more goals, lack of an alternative approach had something to do with it as well.

I suppose we'll see for certain this season. If Jürgen goes in again with a squad which is no stronger than last seasons, persists all season with Firmino should Bobby not improve his scoring output, and not have an alternative plan, we'll know he really believes all of that.

I've a hunch though the proof of the pudding will be different.   
      paulow63
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 665 posts | 86 
      Reply #12974: Jul 28, 2017 02:31:29 pm
      It would be interesting to see a new column next to the money column titled - Trophies won
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,246 posts | 6364 
      Reply #12975: Jul 28, 2017 02:34:42 pm

Be interesting to see GROSS spend. Pochettino for instance is low because of the Bale money, but he spent all that money on new players.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #12976: Jul 28, 2017 03:42:28 pm
      Be interesting to see GROSS spend. Pochettino for instance is low because of the Bale money, but he spent all that money on new players.

Sherwood was the manager when Bale went to RM....Poch came in the following season.

« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2017 03:49:02 pm by AZPatriot »
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #12977: Jul 28, 2017 04:21:02 pm
      good post mate, welcome to the forum.

No need to welcome him mate, he was here before :laugh:

Regarding Klopp though. Wonder if he is confident of getting VVD and Keita but we are keeping it quite under wraps because there is no developments in the media at all other than the usual stuff just being repeated with just a different twist each time. We don't seem to be linked with any alternatives or making a move for any alternatives so surely we are just being kept in the dark. Would we really go into a Champions League season without having any alternatives lined up? I hope not or it could be an embarrassing repeat of the last time we were there.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #12978: Jul 28, 2017 04:24:52 pm
      Sherwood was the manager when Bale went to RM....Poch came in the following season.

Wasn't it AVB? Summer 2013 and brought in the likes of Paulinho, Soldado and co.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,246 posts | 6364 
      Reply #12979: Jul 28, 2017 05:00:31 pm
      Wasn't it AVB? Summer 2013 and brought in the likes of Paulinho, Soldado and co.

Was it? So Pochettino hasn't really bought much at all then.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #12980: Jul 28, 2017 05:10:45 pm
      Was it? So Pochettino hasn't really bought much at all then.

Sizeable enough fees for Moussa Sissoko, Vincent Janssen, Son in recent years and add on all the other sub 20m signings of which there are many (and who make an impressive core of that Spurs side now)
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #12981: Jul 28, 2017 05:22:57 pm

AVB left December of '13 and Sherwood took over but yeah your right because Bale went in the Summer and AVB bought those players you mentioned.
      Scottbot

• 9,597 posts | 2156 
      Reply #12982: Jul 28, 2017 07:44:48 pm
      What distresses me was seeing us linked with Toby Alderweireld and Christian Eriksen for a full two years and seeing where they are now.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #12983: Jul 28, 2017 08:34:28 pm
      What distresses me was seeing us linked with Toby Alderweireld and Christian Eriksen for a full two years and seeing where they are now.

Strangely I never feel as if we missed out by not signing Eriksen. Certainly not to the extent of Dele Alli which is just horrific and incredibly depressing and I think our biggest loss in terms of failing to sign a player for a long long time. If ever there is to be a player to really replace Gerrard, I would have had him as it. Coutinho is one hell of a player but never really seen him a player to replace the impact of Gerrard, maybe because his game, even though incredibly effective, is different to what Gerrard and Alli play like. Maybe it's the fiery challenges Alli will clout a player with from time to time like Gerrard did.
      Also can you imagine, Alli and Coutinho in the same team?! Incredible!

Alderweireld hurts too though, IMO the best CB in the league along with VVD, Spurs got another bargain there and can't understand why we never went for him instead of plodding along with Skrtel.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #12984: Jul 28, 2017 10:03:32 pm
      Hi guys , i've been reading this forum for over 4 yrs and have finally decided to start giving my opinion.

My biggest worry about the upcoming season is that we don't have a reliable top striker. No team has ever won our league without a go-to striker who gets one sniff in a tight game and puts it away.

IMO we need all our midfielders to step up a few gears and perform consistently. Also our keepers are fragile and will be found wanting. Fullback positions are a liability that will be found out.

C'mon Jürgen get nasty. That's what this team needs.

Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,653 posts | 481 
      Reply #12985: Jul 29, 2017 03:07:45 am
      Poch didn't sell Bale, it was the manager before.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #12986: Jul 29, 2017 10:35:19 am
      Klopp l feel not spending money will be his down fall in end we won't fhish in top 4 next year
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #12987: Jul 29, 2017 12:33:10 pm
      Klopp l feel not spending money will be his down fall in end we won't fhish in top 4 next year

Or maybe he'll spend money as the window is not closed yet.

He's identified the areas he wants to improve, if he doesn't get his preferred targets he'll probably still look to improve those areas.

Were having a couple of set backs on a couple of deals, all football clubs experience it at one time or another.

Its not as much of a drama as its being made out.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,596 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #12988: Jul 29, 2017 12:38:04 pm
      Or maybe he'll spend money as the window is not closed yet.

He's identified the areas he wants to improve, if he doesn't get his preferred targets he'll probably still look to improve those areas.

Were having a couple of set backs on a couple of deals, all football clubs experience it at one time or another.

Its not as much of a drama as its being made out.

Personally I think a large portion of the fanbase have lost their arse because of the business Everton have done.
      When you see the RedmenTV chat with Klopp, when they make the claim re transfers & Klopp calls them out,
      the only teams their point has any credence on is City and Everton.

City are City and Everton are spending the Lukaku money.
      The rest are either replacing what they've lost or have done no business.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #12989: Jul 29, 2017 12:46:33 pm
      Personally I think a large portion of the fanbase have lost their arse because of the business Everton have done.
      When you see the RedmenTV chat with Klopp, when they make the claim re transfers & Klopp calls them out,

What about the league champions?

They haven't really lost anyone but have strengthened in defence, midfield and up front.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,596 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #12990: Jul 29, 2017 12:59:15 pm

They haven't really lost anyone but have strengthened in defence, midfield and up front.

They've brought in 4 players and sold 6.
      Plus they've got the largest stockpile of youth players in the country,
      which allows them to bypass any kind of Financial Fair Play by doping their transfers.
      Long since stopped worrying about what Chelsea do, and we've got one of their top prospects in Solanke.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,393 posts | 3397 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #12991: Jul 29, 2017 01:21:45 pm

Costa is not involved and a lot of their fringe players like matic face uncertain futures
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #12992: Jul 29, 2017 01:24:18 pm
      Personally I think a large portion of the fanbase have lost their arse

Exactly pointless getting worked up before the window closes, anything can happen yet.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,246 posts | 6364 
      Reply #12993: Jul 29, 2017 02:54:52 pm

But to be fair, Chelsea won the league, they don't have as much work to do. We on the other hand need to make headway on the three ahead of us and ensure we have a large enough and quality enough squad to compete in Europe.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #12994: Jul 29, 2017 07:22:53 pm
      They've brought in 4 players and sold 6.
      Plus they've got the largest stockpile of youth players in the country,
      which allows them to bypass any kind of Financial Fair Play by doping their transfers.
      Long since stopped worrying about what Chelsea do, and we've got one of their top prospects in Solanke.

Chavs have 36 players out on loan.

36 !

Quick Reply