Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1518255 times
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #13018: Aug 05, 2017 12:32:04 am
      No way these team injuries pick up going win league or get top 4 try win league cup or fa cup look to how strong other teams are only way we going have play kids in cups again
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #13019: Aug 05, 2017 12:50:15 am
      Lallana out and nobody questions Jürgen's training system? We had quite some injures over the last season and Lallana's is the latest now. I wonder why it happens to us so regularly and not to our opponents.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #13020: Aug 05, 2017 01:12:48 am
      Jürgen world class manger why he not spending any money just hopeing kids turn into stars these not Germany league
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #13021: Aug 05, 2017 01:14:38 am
      Lallana out and nobody questions Jürgen's training system? We had quite some injures over the last season and Lallana's is the latest now. I wonder why it happens to us so regularly and not to our opponents.

Actually it does happen to our opponents, Man Utd for example, they had a lot of players out, the difference is however, they spend to build a squad, we haven't done this in god knows how long, look at our bench last season, look at it pre season and look at it next season.

Its called being an LFC supporter, we are known as having one of the best sense of humours in the game. However, if we don't sign anybody else THIS summer, its no longer funny, we NEED PLAYERS, we have done for a long, long time, and getting into the champions league gave us some hope we would see those this summer. We haven't. If we don't sign anyone else, at this stage, just bloody anyone to improve our defence or midfield, then yes, we will be watching the season start, and expecting the same old same old, just like every other season, and I wont blame any booing, or fans leaving early, or Anfield sounding like a morgue. In fact I wont blame anyone complaining about the squad, or Klopp, or individual players. We have suffered too long.

And to be honest, its looking likely we will be suffering a while longer. Hard to find humour in this.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #13022: Aug 05, 2017 01:22:44 am

Taking the piss there for sure. If Klopp's methods are to be blamed why is only Lallana injured and not 20 of our other players. Ibra for Utd, Jesus for City, Cazorla for Arsenal, Rose for Spurs and this is only last season so stop being hypercritical over everything.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #13023: Aug 05, 2017 02:22:54 am
      Not about injuries can club not buy cback or midfielder that least better that what we have why we hope that kids some how turn in top players over nite spent bit more money not that hard
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #13024: Aug 05, 2017 10:01:34 am

It didn't happen in training, it happened in the first half against Atheltico.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #13025: Aug 06, 2017 11:40:46 am
      No issues with the Boss, can't wait for season to start.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #13026: Aug 06, 2017 11:43:23 am

Our dutch friend has taken time out from his Mcdonald's shift to have a go at Jürgen on Twitter
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #13027: Aug 06, 2017 01:43:28 pm
      Jürgen all in on the "he'll be like a new signing" talk in the post match from Athletic Bilbao I see! That's not the most encouraging sign heading into the last month of the transfer window.

Claiming all of the following are like new signings:

Kent
      Moreno
      Milner (midfield)

Interesting that he's going down that route, leaning more towards there being no further signings it would seem. While I do agree with him with regards Milner, I don't think Milner is enough of an impact to our midfield as a signing he would have chosen. There's a reason why he converted him to LB and that's simply because he wasn't good enough to be one of our midfielders. He still isn't, if anything he's regressed under the strain of playing an entire season at full pace.

Kent, I get the point completely, he has progressed, much like TAA (although not at the same pace), I think if we keep Kent in the squad learning from the likes of Salah and Mane he will come on an enormous amount. He'll also be easily good enough to play the early rounds of both cups, he's a quality player in the making. Whether he'll ever quite break through ahead of those two ahead of him is unlikely but as an understudy to them I rate him.

Moreno has looked much improved this pre-season and there's the feeling that we're going into this year with him as number 1 rather than Robertson, certainly with those 2 competing with each other and personally I'm happy with that. There were loads of us calling for Moreno, even in his old form, to be given the role ahead of Milner. Our defence needs recovery pace, our width needs a natural left footer, he's a good fit for what we need, if those brainless mistakes could be removed from his game then he's got the tools, I'm just not sold they will be.

I'll be as forthright as I can be, going into the season with the current squad I think will see us come up short. I think injuries will catch up with us with the fuller calendar and in the end CB and CM will cost us heavily. I still think we'll make top 4 but progress in the league could easily be stunted by progress in the CL. I think Jürgen will ditch the league cup in priority for the other trophies and we'll do reasonably well in the CL, better than most expect is my prediction but the sheer number of games will take their toll and without decent cover in two crucial areas I think we'll hit a period where results will turn.

Get 1 CB and 1 CM and I think we can sustain our run and we wont win the CL but I think we'll get as far until we meet a real top side such as Barca/PSG/Bayern/Juve, we could be lucky and that take us far or we could simply be unlucky and get a group of death with 2 of them in. Also with those signings I think we'd go close for the league but I'd still make City and Chelsea favourites, we might beat one of them but overhauling both I think will be a step too far for this season. To truly beat Chelsea and City I think we needed our absolute top targets in Keita and VvD, then I'd have given us an even chance against them and Jürgen would have made the difference imo.

lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #13028: Aug 06, 2017 01:58:05 pm
      Only chance of maybe win league or top4 is get knock out league cup or fa cup or just play load kids
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #13029: Aug 06, 2017 02:24:41 pm
      Jürgen all in on the "he'll be like a new signing" talk in the post match from Athletic Bilbao I see! That's not the most encouraging sign heading into the last month of the transfer window.

Kent
      Moreno
      Milner (midfield)

Interesting that he's going down that route, leaning more towards there being no further signings it would seem. While I do agree with him with regards Milner, I don't think Milner is enough of an impact to our midfield as a signing he would have chosen. There's a reason why he converted him to LB and that's simply because he wasn't good enough to be one of our midfielders. He still isn't, if anything he's regressed under the strain of playing an entire season at full pace.

Kent, I get the point completely, he has progressed, much like TAA (although not at the same pace), I think if we keep Kent in the squad learning from the likes of Salah and Mane he will come on an enormous amount. He'll also be easily good enough to play the early rounds of both cups, he's a quality player in the making. Whether he'll ever quite break through ahead of those two ahead of him is unlikely but as an understudy to them I rate him.

Moreno has looked much improved this pre-season and there's the feeling that we're going into this year with him as number 1 rather than Robertson, certainly with those 2 competing with each other and personally I'm happy with that. There were loads of us calling for Moreno, even in his old form, to be given the role ahead of Milner. Our defence needs recovery pace, our width needs a natural left footer, he's a good fit for what we need, if those brainless mistakes could be removed from his game then he's got the tools, I'm just not sold they will be.

I'll be as forthright as I can be, going into the season with the current squad I think will see us come up short. I think injuries will catch up with us with the fuller calendar and in the end CB and CM will cost us heavily. I still think we'll make top 4 but progress in the league could easily be stunted by progress in the CL. I think Jürgen will ditch the league cup in priority for the other trophies and we'll do reasonably well in the CL, better than most expect is my prediction but the sheer number of games will take their toll and without decent cover in two crucial areas I think we'll hit a period where results will turn.

Get 1 CB and 1 CM and I think we can sustain our run and we wont win the CL but I think we'll get as far until we meet a real top side such as Barca/PSG/Bayern/Juve, we could be lucky and that take us far or we could simply be unlucky and get a group of death with 2 of them in. Also with those signings I think we'd go close for the league but I'd still make City and Chelsea favourites, we might beat one of them but overhauling both I think will be a step too far for this season. To truly beat Chelsea and City I think we needed our absolute top targets in Keita and VvD, then I'd have given us an even chance against them and Jürgen would have made the difference imo.

Agree we need a new center back.

I expect Grujic to take on an expanded role in center midfield this year, more than Milner actually. I expect the 2nd half lineup last night is more what you will from us in our League Cup matches this season (except for Mane). The same group will be selected for the odd league game, depending on the fixtures midweek, etc.

All of this is based on the idea that we are keeping  Phil. If we lose Phil...
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #13030: Aug 06, 2017 09:14:20 pm

Kent
      Moreno
      Milner (midfield)

Nice post Luke but I can't share your optimism (and I know your trying hard to be optimistic!) based on our current squad. The biggest issue for me is the pace Jürgen wants the lads to play at. It's not sustainable with Champions League games midweek (assuming we get there of course, I don't think that's a guarantee). We simply don't have enough bodies and it'll cost us in the EPL. Also, when we're not pressing the ball and playing the Jürgen way we tend to struggle, there isn't really a plan b as such, I've never seen us play deep and compact and then play on the break. It's imply not Jürgen's way.

If Klopp wants to execute his tactics twice a week for large chunks of the season he needs a bigger squad with more quality. Not a bunch of unproven fringe players and youngsters. As for the Fa Cup and League Cup they'd just as well ask Stevie to look after the League Cup and Inglethorpe to take on the FA Cup because it will be all the kids playing.
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,244 posts | 229 
      Reply #13031: Aug 07, 2017 11:01:19 am
      If we don't sign any new player anymore, we will strugle 100%. I can't believe we are gambling again.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #13032: Aug 07, 2017 12:09:25 pm
      What the F**k is this man smoking? Ragnar Klavan 3rd choice centre back? Moreno left back? You are having a laugh Jürgen.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #13033: Aug 07, 2017 12:54:55 pm
      Aye some of Klopp's recent comments are a worry for sure. First it was new signing Alberto Moreno, then it was James Milner is like having a new signing in midfield and now he is happy with the 4 centre-halves on the books and doesn't need to get another one in. Of course it could just be words but it does feel like he is setting everybody up for the prospect of no more (or very few) players coming in this window. I just hope that isn't the case.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #13034: Aug 07, 2017 01:07:21 pm
      Aye some of Klopp's recent comments are a worry for sure. First it was new signing Alberto Moreno, then it was James Milner is like having a new signing in midfield and now he is happy with the 4 centre-halves on the books and doesn't need to get another one in. Of course it could just be words but it does feel like he is setting everybody up for the prospect of no more (or very few) players coming in this window. I just hope that isn't the case.

The pessimistic side of me thinks that's absolutely the case, he sees the writing on the wall and is trying to downplay our needs....which is odd because what are fans supposed to think when you go out and chase after Keita and VVD. I mean you are talking about possibly spending 150m to not spending any at all. It just makes no sense at all.

The optimistic side of me (it's much quieter in my head :D) says look at what Klopp was able to do with a depleted squad last year and look at his past record.

Problem with that is, we should have never been in the situation we were last year with injuries and the only reason we were, is because we failed to properly strengthen when we had the chance in January.

People keep saying "Well I don't want him to just buy for buying's sake", but if he identifies a need (CB, CM, etc...) I'd rather have someone that's almost as good as his first choice, as opposed to no one at all when the injury bug hits us.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #13035: Aug 07, 2017 01:28:17 pm
      We knew he wasn't a man for many signings and he does like a small squad... but I just cannot see no one else coming in. We have depth yes but mainly in utility, Milner is a new signing, great what if he gets injured? We now miss depth in 2 areas. Gomez is great, but if he's injured that's 2 more areas we miss depth, same with Phil and Bobby. So many players are expected to play 2 positions, meaning injuries are twice as damaging for us.

We need more.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #13036: Aug 07, 2017 01:56:55 pm
      We knew he wasn't a man for many signings and he does like a small squad... but I just cannot see no one else coming in. We have depth yes but mainly in utility, Milner is a new signing, great what if he gets injured? We now miss depth in 2 areas. Gomez is great, but if he's injured that's 2 more areas we miss depth, same with Phil and Bobby. So many players are expected to play 2 positions, meaning injuries are twice as damaging for us.

We need more.

and we have also heard Klopp bemoan the number of games we play over here and some of the fixture congestion challenges that are unique to English football so I'm pretty sure he understands the need to have a bigger squad regardless of how he has worked in the past. I'm pretty certain Klopp's approach was to bring in players who would slot straight into the 1st 11 (such as Salah, VVD, Keita) and then the incumbents players become part of the squad rather than guaranteed starters. Clearly that approach isn't working out for whatever reason (although I am certain there are plenty of other players out there who could step right into our 1st team) so as an absolute minimum we need squad depth. If that means bringing in players like Oxlade-Chamberlain then so be it, he wouldn't start every big game BUT he would certainly contribute and see plenty of game time. Putting too much faith in the likes of Moreno, Origi, Milner (as a CM) and Klavan is playing with fire. The same applies to youngsters like Woodburn, Solanki, Grucic and T.A.A, they all look like talents but they need a bit of space to grow. Put them in for high pressure games in the EPL/Champs League and you risk damaging their confidence and stunting their growth. As you said, quite simply we need more.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #13037: Aug 07, 2017 02:07:05 pm

We need more.

You almost have to think Klopp has something up  his sleeve, because why would he make such confusing statements? We all know he's been chasing hard after VVD and Keita...why all of the sudden  try and play it off like it's no big deal? Hell, I'd rather here him admit defeat and show some frustration as opposed to an "Oh well, we tried,  but we really didn't need them anyway".
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #13038: Aug 07, 2017 03:55:50 pm
      You almost have to think Klopp has something up  his sleeve, because why would he make such confusing statements? We all know he's been chasing hard after VVD and Keita...why all of the sudden  try and play it off like it's no big deal? Hell, I'd rather here him admit defeat and show some frustration as opposed to an "Oh well, we tried,  but we really didn't need them anyway".

Can't see it myself FL, that last sentence is something that would be translated from Boston, now you and I and almost every other Liverpool fan knows that going through a even longer campaign than last season with only 3 additions just isn't going to work, irrespective of existing players having renewed impetus, injuries, suspensions, bad form etc etc can play havoc with your squad, the smaller the squad the more damaging it will be.

I hate to say this but it could be Jürgen is trying to soften the blow of failing to bringing in his main targets and having no back up plan in the event said failures materialise, perhaps the 'tapping up' was a tad arrogant on his part, thinking he would get his man by simply having a wee chat, and then coming across a very stubborn RB Lipstick,

it could also be signals sent from Boston that indeed the supposed Millions would not after all be afforded, which in all honesty would be no surprise to me,

this window was supposedly the one where FSG would compete with those we need to compete with, but yet again thus far they again failed and for me simply isn't good enough, irrespective of whatever happens between now the window closing, it's clear that the ambitions of LFC and that of FSG are in fact on a different planet.

H & G,  FSG not much difference between them except a shiny new stand and perhaps being less open with their greed. !!!

YNWA
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #13039: Aug 07, 2017 04:04:16 pm
      It could be a lot worse folks, not so long ago this was our starting 11.  ;D

:holyshit:

That is pretty horrific.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #13040: Aug 07, 2017 04:04:33 pm
      It could be a lot worse folks, not so long ago this was our starting 11.  ;D

Jesus f**king Christ. Poor Carra and Pepe.

I thought I'd gotten over those years but seeing that awful photo makes me realise that I was suppressing my anger!

Quick Reply