Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1530649 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #13570: Sep 14, 2017 11:37:30 am
      https://twitter.com/AnfieldHQ/status/908081387076538370

Conceded 13 in 7 games.. I wonder why it's the defence being talked about :-\

Why can't the interviewer ask the followup question, well what is it about then Jürgen, why are you so sh*t in defence if you have in your view the best defenders in the world, is it then 100% your fault, bad coaching etc?
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,922 posts | 822 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #13571: Sep 14, 2017 11:41:10 am
      Why can't the interviewer ask the followup question, well what is it about then Jürgen, why are you so sh*t in defence if you have in your view the best defenders in the world, is it then 100% your fault, bad coaching etc?

If it isn't about just one player than why did he hold out for just one player.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #13572: Sep 14, 2017 12:31:59 pm
      In Kloppo i Trust. Makes mistakes but who doesnt??

but does he learn from them, that is the big question.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,270 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #13573: Sep 14, 2017 12:42:09 pm
      Another thing. Who pays 40 million for a playet and then throw them on for 5 minutes? He won 2 or 3 corners in that time.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,652 posts | 3920 
      Reply #13574: Sep 14, 2017 12:49:21 pm

The interviewier should say the stats speak for themselves.

Liverpool leak goals and that's a fact.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #13575: Sep 14, 2017 12:50:43 pm
      That game could have had a different complexion to it had Bobby tucked away the penalty.

With a Benny Hill defence you need your attack to be clinical and if they're not, like Salah Sat'day, and Bobby with the penalty you'll come a cropper like we did last night.

Rinse and repeat.

Also, it looked as if the players couldn't keep the intensity of the first half up; we need to play smarter not harder.

Done again in the second half by Sevilla.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,945 posts | 5004 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #13576: Sep 14, 2017 01:10:42 pm
      Whats it about then?

Couldnt or wouldnt sign someone in the summer. Fine. Then its your job to coach what you have to defend properly. Positional sense, communication, every aspect of defending is poor and is undoing our brilliant attacking play.

Buck stops with Klopp on this and trying to deflecg saying its not about this is rubbish. Maybe he needs to stop the high fives and hugs and bollok the back 4 more until they wake up and get the message

Wouldn't make a ounce of difference Brian, we could have Pep, Maureen or Whoever as coach but none can polish a turd,
      Fact is Lovren, Klavan, Mignolet, Moreno, Henderson, Karius are not nor will be at a level to take us up another level, there exists Q marks over Can, Gini although these two imo are better equipped,

Rome wasn't built and all that and its looking like 2-3 future window's before the level we require is reached, we have Keita arriving next summer which will be a  vast improvement but we need other similar level of quality arriving at the same time to push us forward,

Klopp is a great coach as are those mentioned above but there's only so much a great coach can get out of his player's, and turd polishing can only get you so far, and i think we're at that point now .

YNWA

Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,519 posts | 1508 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #13577: Sep 14, 2017 02:01:29 pm
      It is not fair to hold Klopp responsible for these schoolboy errors. Yesterday, Matip failed to clear a ball when he was under no pressure. which resulted in a corner. How can Klopp coach this? He is the manager of the senior squad, not the u18 team. If they are going to make such mistakes, they shouldn't be pro footballers in the first place.
      I didn't say it's all Klopp's fault. I said the majority of it, is. But in reply to your post, your picking out Matip's one mistake pales in comparison to the costly errors made in the last 18 months.

- Who bought Matip?
      - Who won't drop Lovren or Henderson?
      - Who didn't think we needed a new CB after the VvD fiasco?
      - Who tells them how to play?
      - Who persists in playing footballers who continually make these schoolboy errors?
      - Who thinks they can change things with substitutions made 3 minutes from the end?

No player is going to walk up to the manager's office and say "Sorry boss but I'm not playing today because my form is so poor of late." It's up to the "manager" to do that. But he isn't.

Again, I'm not saying Klopp is to blame for everything but he is the one who picks the team and EVERYONE can see there are players who shouldn't -currently- be near the first team let alone captain. Klopp is not helping his cause here and whilst he isn't to blame for everything, he is to blame for 90% of it in my book. Has to be. We can't exactly point the finger at Pep Lijnders can we?
      « Last Edit: Sep 14, 2017 06:13:28 pm by Rush »
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #13578: Sep 14, 2017 03:13:23 pm
      I'll be honest - finding it hard to get excited for the season ahead with this defence. Can't be putting yourself in the situation where you are regularly needing to score 3/4 times to win football matches.

Unfortunately, Jürgen's got to take the vast majority of the blame for it. Almost here for two years now and the defence is as bad, if not worse, than when he came to the club.

It is not fair to hold Klopp responsible for these schoolboy errors.

Don't mean to interrupt your debate but surely as manager of the football club, Jürgen should be selling the players that have been making all these mistakes and sign some ones that don't make as many?
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #13579: Sep 14, 2017 03:49:34 pm
      but does he learn from them, that is the big question.

Yeah. Not good enough for you right? Not good enough for Liverpool right? Can I suggest you follow Ronald Koeman then? He's just across the park. Only 5 minutes away. See you at the derby!
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #13580: Sep 14, 2017 03:54:38 pm
      Jürgen just sort your F***ing defence out man.
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #13581: Sep 14, 2017 06:11:47 pm
      http://sportbild.bild.de/fussball/premier-league/premierleague/didi-hamann-juergen-klopp-fc-liverpool-kritik-england-experte-reds-53211738.sport.html

In short & English: Hamann heavily critisizes Klopp. He says the club is not in better shape than 18 months ago, very unbalanced (good offense, bad defense), he can't understand why Klopp didn't improve the defense, he doesn't think anymore, Klopp is the right man and gives LFC no chance for silverware as long as Klopp stays.

I think Hamann either is delusional or this is just a typical yellow-paper-interview. It was and is clear that Jürgen is on a multi-year mission and that things need time and that there are bumps on the road once in a while. We are one good or two decent players away from being in the line of Real, Bayern, City. I also think that you can see overall improvement since when Jürgen began.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,990 posts | 240 
      Reply #13582: Sep 14, 2017 07:05:50 pm
      I didn't say it's all Klopp's fault. I said the majority of it, is. But in reply to your post, your picking out Matip's once mistake pales in comparison to the costly errors made in the last 18 months.

- Who bought Matip?
      - Who persists in playing footballers who continually make these schoolboy errors?
      - Who thinks they can change things with substitutions made 3 minutes from the end?

No player is going to walk up to the manager's office and say "Sorry boss but I'm not playing today because my form is so poor of late." It's up to the "manager" to do that. But he isn't.

Again, I'm not saying Klopp is to blame for everything but he is the one who picks the team and EVERYONE can see there are players who shouldn't -currently- be near the first team let alone captain. Klopp is not helping his cause here and whilst he isn't to blame for everything, he is to blame for 90% of it in my book. Has to be. We can't exactly point the finger at Pep Lijnders can we?

Let us look at the issues with defence in two ways - tactical and personnel.

Liverpool conceded a total of 42 goals last season, 12 of which were from set pieces. As I mentioned previously, those 12 goals were from 110 set piece chances (fifth lowest in the league, one lower than United). On an average, we have conceded 8.2 shots per game, the second lowest (City has the lowest - 7.9), made 18.9 tackles per game, the second highest (Boro had the highest - 19.1). I am not able to get the actual chances conceded by the different teams, but, based on the above stats, I am inferring that the number of chances conceded by the team is actually lesser. In general, while we have a problem with defence, I don't think it is majorly a tactical issue when we have reduced the chances created against the team.

@chats

So, the goals conceded seem to be more of a personnel issue. On, Henderson, while he isn't exactly Steven Gerrard, his presence in the midfield was very important last season. Magillionare had shared Henderson's stats recently in the "Should Klopp choose a new captain" thread. Here is the link to that article:

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2017/03/statistics-show-jordan-hendersons-return-can-help-seal-liverpools-top-4-finish/

Yesterday, even though it was one of his worse games in the shirt, he still managed to make 4 tackles and 3 key passes (Salah made 3 key passes). And, Can was more at fault for the second goal than Henderson.

All said and done I am not sure why we put all eggs in one basket this summer and why we did not strengthen where we had to strengthen. On the VvD saga, as many have mentioned in other threads, there is definitely more to it. Here is a world class defender on whom there was no bid made at all by the other clubs when everyone seemed to be bidding 30mn for Johny Evans. Was it because of some promise that Klopp made to VvD? Of course, what I say is speculation, but, Klopp seems to be a genuine person who lives by his word. While you saw Rafa getting disillusioned with Xabi for Xabi wanting to be with his wife during his kid's birth, Klopp seems to be on the other end of the spectrum as seen in Gini's case. And, Klopp's strengths and weaknesses are his loyalty to players. It is this loyalty that extracted better performances from players such as Lallana and it is exactly this loyalty that makes him play the likes of Lovren. And, it was this loyalty that led to his downfall at Dortmund too.

- Who bought Matip?
      He is a decent buy, isn't he? I don't share the same opinion as a few other in the forum about him being an excellent defender. He is no Sami and he looks to be a better defender when compared to the dross surrounding him. He doesn't seem to be a leader. And, I am sure he will be a very good defender alongside the likes of VvD.

This beats me. I don't know why the subs aren't made earlier when the going gets tough. As far as last season was concerned, we had nobody on the bench to influence the game. It was very weak. As far as yesterday's match was concerned, there was no need to effect a sub until maybe the 70th min as we were going strong (of course, it was not as intense as the first half). But, as soon as they scored a goal, Coutinho was ready to come on. But, I get your point about the subs being a little late in the day.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #13583: Sep 14, 2017 07:24:41 pm
      http://sportbild.bild.de/fussball/premier-league/premierleague/didi-hamann-juergen-klopp-fc-liverpool-kritik-england-experte-reds-53211738.sport.html

In short & English: Hamann heavily critisizes Klopp. He says the club is not in better shape than 18 months ago, very unbalanced (good offense, bad defense), he can't understand why Klopp didn't improve the defense, he doesn't think anymore, Klopp is the right man and gives LFC no chance for silverware as long as Klopp stays.

I think Hamann either is delusional or this is just a typical yellow-paper-interview. It was and is clear that Jürgen is on a multi-year mission and that things need time and that there are bumps on the road once in a while. We are one good or two decent players away from being in the line of Real, Bayern, City. I also think that you can see overall improvement since when Jürgen began.

;D this is the same Hamaan who Klopp didn't take on as a coach and gave the job to Lijnders.

Bitter not much  :D

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,337 posts | 6386 
      Reply #13584: Sep 14, 2017 07:36:28 pm
      Win the rest of our group games and no one will care about this draw.

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,975 posts | 3058 
      Reply #13585: Sep 14, 2017 08:19:02 pm
      Klopp must go.......

And get 3 points Saturday.

Geez peace - back in the Champs League and adjusting.

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #13586: Sep 14, 2017 08:29:24 pm
      Klopp must go.......

hahahahahahahaha... you proper d*ck ;D. You had me for a second.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,519 posts | 1508 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #13587: Sep 14, 2017 08:29:49 pm
      Klopp must go.......

Whereas I see it as 93 minutes back in the Champs League and getting found out at the back already

EDIT: Thinking about it, it was more like 5 minutes (Lovren)
      « Last Edit: Sep 14, 2017 08:42:36 pm by Rush »
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #13588: Sep 14, 2017 08:34:11 pm
      Win the rest of our group games and no one will care about this draw.

Definitely mate, sh*t at the minute but like you say it will all change when we top the group.

How is it in Florida, hope you are all doing well over there.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #13589: Sep 14, 2017 09:25:33 pm
      That is unless he is talking bollocks and knows full well we need better defenders.

Think the pursuit of VVD shows this to be honest..

Our attack and midfield may only need little tweaks here and there when you factor in Keita, but our defence/keeper needs a serious overhaul..

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #13590: Sep 14, 2017 10:25:50 pm
      The way I see our defence is that Jürgen sees the future as:

Karius
        TAA           Matip        Gomez      Moreno

He was a huge fan of Gomez from the very beginning, there's no hiding that and the glowing praise he heaps on Trent, while clearly expecting more from him in a defensive sense is again clear. Karius is one I'm just playing a hunch, otherwise we'd have been shopping this summer gone for a keeper and Alby, the last of our 'needs coaching time' quartet is already showing the fruits of what time with Jürgen can do.

It's incredibly patient and it's also a big risk that some of these lads simply wont develop as he expects/hopes and then we're left with the buy it now option. Having said that, if Jürgen can bring this group of lads together and develop them together then that would be tremendous for our long term future but for right now it looks like we're going to have to endure some pain.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #13591: Sep 14, 2017 10:48:04 pm
      The way I see our defence is that Jürgen sees the future as:

Karius
        TAA           Matip        Gomez      Moreno

He was a huge fan of Gomez from the very beginning, there's no hiding that and the glowing praise he heaps on Trent, while clearly expecting more from him in a defensive sense is again clear. Karius is one I'm just playing a hunch, otherwise we'd have been shopping this summer gone for a keeper and Alby, the last of our 'needs coaching time' quartet is already showing the fruits of what time with Jürgen can do.

It's incredibly patient and it's also a big risk that some of these lads simply wont develop as he expects/hopes and then we're left with the buy it now option. Having said that, if Jürgen can bring this group of lads together and develop them together then that would be tremendous for our long term future but for right now it looks like we're going to have to endure some pain.

Not sure mate he was pretty intent on spending big on VVD.
      I wouldn't be surprised if we try again in January.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #13592: Sep 14, 2017 11:13:17 pm
      Not sure mate he was pretty intent on spending big on VVD.
      I wouldn't be surprised if we try again in January.

Yeah we will, I hope at least.

However, I wasn't necessarily saying these lads were starters next season, but the fact that Jürgen is willing to gamble on them progressing at least up to strong squad players is either a resounding recommendation and show of faith or it's foolhardy and will look like egg on his face come the end of the exercise.

Sticking with the same defence which has leaked so many goals in the past, without additions, yet expecting improvements can only mean that he sees these younger lads as extremely strong candidates to force their way ahead of the current bunch they're competing with and that was the point I was making not that Gomez will be ahead of VvD.

Quick Reply