Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1518506 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #14030: Sep 28, 2017 06:31:55 pm
      One surrounded by chicken wire, like the band in Roadhouse.

Thug: "What if he says my momma's a whore?"

Dalton: ".....Is she?"

(sorry, best bad movie ever, worst movie that I've ever watched multiple times).
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #14031: Sep 28, 2017 06:34:37 pm
      One surrounded by chicken wire, like the band in Roadhouse.

And in The Blues Brothers.

Elwood: "So...what kind of music do you usually have here?"

Bartender: "Oh, we got both kinds, country AND western."
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #14032: Sep 28, 2017 06:35:25 pm
      My most vivid memory of that film was Swayze banging some proper fit bird in the back room of the bar.

It was at his flat, but one's man vivid is another man's haze.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #14033: Sep 28, 2017 06:37:26 pm
      A lot of Germans really hate Bayern.   Every club's fans will sing the bit about beating the leather pants off of Bayern. Of course that's in part because they are so big and successful, but with that has come an attitude that inspires a lot of dislike, especially for how they just buy everybody great from the other German clubs.

I know mate. Alex from the German sausage fan opposite the pub is a Munich 1860 fan and detests them. Lots of British people hate Man Utd though and it hasn't stopped the likes of Rooney going there over the years, nor did it stop Lewandowski and Goetze going to Bayern either.

Look I hope you're right, but if they come in for Jürgen anyone who thinks that he won't at least consider it is IMHO deluding themselves.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #14034: Sep 28, 2017 06:41:25 pm
      Getting back to the bit about the media and pundits and agenda against Klopp - you cannot ignore the role of agents in all of this. Klopp is not a high turnover manager like some others are, and remember, the transfers are often generated by agents, with help from managers, and not the other way around. A lot of agents and even some managers get rich/richer through transfers. Klopp is trying to build a title-winning team, with transfers as one part of the equation.

So not only is the way he wants the team to play different than the old, "lump it in to Benteke" that I used to hear in his first season, he's going against the whole grain of the English system, and it could affect the wallets of some people.

My only real complaints against Jürgen is that he needs to make sure his trousers are hitched up properly so if he reacts like he did on that missed opportunity recently, we don't have to see pics of his arse-crack in the paper. Cover it up, man!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #14035: Sep 28, 2017 06:43:43 pm
      I know mate. Alex from the German sausage fan opposite the pub is a Munich 1860 fan and detests them. Lots of British people hate Man Utd though and it hasn't stopped the likes of Rooney going there over the years, nor did it stop Lewandowski and Goetze going to Bayern either.

Look I hope you're right, but if they come in for Jürgen anyone who thinks that he won't at least consider it is IMHO deluding themselves.

Rooney did, so did Michael Owen, but do you think Steven Gerrard would consider it? I'd put Klopp in the latter category.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #14036: Sep 28, 2017 06:44:11 pm
      I was a bit shocked to hear of Ancelotti's sacking and my first thought was "please god don't let them take Klopp". I don't think Jürgen would leave us in the middle of a season though, which is why I thought the timing was so odd for Bayern. Perhaps they'll go after the Hoffenheim young manager? Would be a bold move, no idea how likely though.
      fckmediocrity
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 213 
      Reply #14037: Sep 28, 2017 08:09:41 pm
      IMO there's a bigger chance of Mane joining them rather than Klopp.. it will dent his credibility and make him look like a hypocrite after all this 'long term' talk.. do you think the Bayern fans and higher ups will wait 4-5 years for a CL trophy ? heck they've parted with Ancelotti even after he won the title.

Also he'd have a lot of rebuilding to do.. with Ribery and Robben 33/34 years old and most of their stars hitting 30s coupled with three trophies /season expectations the job doesn't sound so sweet afterall.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Reply #14038: Sep 28, 2017 08:22:09 pm
      I was a bit shocked to hear of Ancelotti's sacking and my first thought was "please god don't let them take Klopp". I don't think Jürgen would leave us in the middle of a season though, which is why I thought the timing was so odd for Bayern. Perhaps they'll go after the Hoffenheim young manager? Would be a bold move, no idea how likely though.

Honigstein was saying that the players wanted more training sessions even though the club hired Carlo to take it  easy after 3 years of Pep's intensity. And that the players were yearning for Pep.

Was reading that Carlo had lost the dressing room.. Carlo losing the dressing room??!! I was shocked to hear that.

In spite of all that he took them to the semis last year only to be undone by a red that was never a red.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #14039: Sep 28, 2017 08:49:58 pm
      I think he might to be honest. Look, unlike his disciples on here who are convinced we are about to turn the corner and conquer the World, I think Jürgen will by now be well aware of what he is up against (I think he knows more about football than them). Yes for sure VVD and Keita may well improve us, but those pesky rivals of ours will probably buy players and improve too. By then we'll have lost Coutinho, and with our budget I'm afraid even getting into the top four regularly takes a massive effort. We are bang up against it (THAT'S WHY I DON'T SLAG Jürgen, NOT BECAUSE HIS POSSE TRY AND BRAINWASH ME EVERY DAY) and the boss will know it. If he were to leave tomorrow it wouldn't be a blot on his record, I think most people would consider he's done at least a pretty decent job.

It wouldn't surprise me if he went, not even 1%.

I respect your opinion Mick but I cannot find any hint of a suggestion, throughout his entire career or his time here at Liverpool, that he would piss off mid season to join another team. I mean, really?
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #14040: Sep 28, 2017 10:06:37 pm
      Can't see Jürgen leaving any time soon. Doesn't strike me as that kinda bloke. And tbh, being under the bit of pressure that he is, reckon he's the type that would be thinking about the job to be done and absolutely nothing else. This is a new challenge, it's too soon for him to be going back to the Bundesliga. Nah, not worried.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #14041: Sep 28, 2017 10:13:19 pm
      *If he wanted to go, I'd say auf wiedersehen and get that Spanish bloke in!!

Xabi's looking for a job in management ;)

*Massively taking the piss here!!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #14042: Sep 28, 2017 10:48:38 pm
      *If he wanted to go, I'd say auf wiedersehen and get that Spanish bloke in!!

Xabi's looking for a job in management ;)

*Massively taking the piss here!!

:lmao:

For the moment I thought you meant......  :D

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3v2mKZTzhvw

Me too
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #14043: Sep 29, 2017 04:39:40 am
      I remember saying something along those lines on another thread but it's good to see the numbers backing it up:

https://twitter.com/MC_of_A/status/913597721029857280

Which is why we often find ourselves frustrated at conceding goals despite severely limiting the number of chances the opposition creates. Often it's not just about quantity, but the quality of those chances/shots.

We concede few shots, but relatively too many high quality/dangerous shots.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #14044: Sep 29, 2017 05:29:29 am
      Doesn't strike me as the kind of manager who would be happy at Bayern, as he comes across as someone who relishes a challenge.

Isn't Tuchel a free agent at the moment.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #14045: Sep 29, 2017 05:35:02 am
      Doesn't strike me as the kind of manager who would be happy at Bayern, as he comes across as someone who relishes a challenge.

Isn't Tuchel a free agent at the moment.

Apparently Tuchel is the favourite to get the job.

Don't believe Klopp would just leave us like that.

A bit of stirring IMO. A few poor results and a manager under the microscope (justifiably) somewhat, and now he's ready to throw it all in and f**k off back to Germany. Nah. This is a bumpy patch in the road but I don't think he'll bail at the first sign of trouble, I wouldn't take him as someone that weak. I can't believe many doubt him on that front as I hazard a guess that he has the spine to see his job through with us.

Load of nonsense even without knowing the info Jürgen knows.
      « Last Edit: Sep 29, 2017 05:40:43 am by Beerbelly »
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #14046: Sep 29, 2017 05:49:16 am
      I remember saying something along those lines on another thread but it's good to see the numbers backing it up:

Which is why we often find ourselves frustrated at conceding goals despite severely limiting the number of chances the opposition creates. Often it's not just about quantity, but the quality of those chances/shots.

It's nice to see the stats/facts that actually cut to the bone in all honesty.

Usually the propaganda of stats used on here is used to paint only a positive picture contrary to what our eyes see.

Running man stats
      most passes
      most assists
      Conceding less shots on target stats

And this particular stat (actually conceding goals), was mostly pinned on our #1 keeper recently, until our #2 and #3 keepers had exactly the same outcome when they were between the sticks. Glad to see that narrative has died somewhat but no doubt it will return.

It simply comes back to our defending, and the fact we don't defend space very well at all.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #14047: Sep 29, 2017 01:18:32 pm
      Apparently Tuchel is the favourite to get the job.

Don't believe Klopp would just leave us like that.

Bayern should approach Gary Neville. He's so good at telling managers how wrong they are. If you're that smart, give it a shot Gary. I'm sure all of us will back you all the way.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #14048: Sep 29, 2017 01:20:21 pm

Klopp keeps talking about the 2nd or 3rd ball, and that we aren't bad at defending set pieces, and that seems to back him up.
      There's other issues as well of course, but for me, the whole "we concede from every set piece" media narrative is overblown.
      It's like our players are so keen to rush out after a clearance or half clearance, that they lose concentration or shape, and don't defend the ball coming back in.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #14049: Sep 29, 2017 01:41:25 pm
      It's like our players are so keen to rush out after a clearance or half clearance, that they lose concentration or shape, and don't defend the ball coming back in.

I think a number of them are just not natural defenders Swab - funnily enough including all our CBs and Moreno.

Sounds perverse but I mean it - as it's as often it's them NOT getting out and playing a man on but not attacking the second ball. Literally just hanging around occupying space.

I honestly don't believe - Clyne apart - there's a natural defender in the regular back 4.

redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Reply #14050: Sep 29, 2017 01:45:02 pm
      Klopp keeps talking about the 2nd or 3rd ball, and that we aren't bad at defending set pieces, and that seems to back him up.
      There's other issues as well of course, but for me, the whole "we concede from every set piece" media narrative is overblown.

The last part is not restricted to set pieces alone. After the Burnley game, Klopp echoed those sentiments. He was analyzing the goal and Klavan was supposed to protect Matip (part of the tactics) which is why he rushed in after Trent lost the header. Both Matip and Klavan lost the first (or second in this case) ball which resulted in a big hole at the back, and, which resulted in the goal.

On the set piece theory, I am not sure if it is entirely untrue. Last season we conceded the 5th lowest number of set pieces (1 behind United), but, the conversion from those set pieces were 12 goals (almost 12%) which was in the bottom half of the goals-conceded-from-set pieces table.

On conceding from the 6 yard box, some of them are primarily poor clearances. On top of my head I can remember Watford's first goal which was a poor clearance by Trent that hit Matip in an awkward position, Watford's last goal which was a mistake by both Gini and Mignolet, Leicester's first goal which was a poor command of the box by the goalkeeper. So, will a more commanding goalkeeper help control the 6 yard box better?

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #14051: Sep 29, 2017 01:47:18 pm
      I think a number of them are just not natural defenders Swab - funnily enough including all our CBs and Moreno.

Sounds perverse but I mean it - as often it's them NOT getting out and playing a man on but not attackibg the second ball.

I honestly don't believe - Clyne apart - there's a natural defender in the regular back 4.

Without meaning to sound argumentative mate, I don't believe there's any such thing as a "natural" in any position.
      My reasoning is that kids are pigeonholed from a young age according to the strengths coaches think they do or don't have, and then coaching focuses on what is perceived to be their best position.
      It's like "he's a big lad, stick him at the back" or "he's a big lad, and he's quick, put him up front".
      It happens less in other countries (or so I'm led to believe), but in the UK (and Ireland) it's definitely a thing, where they want to stick a label on a kid as soon as they see one who shows signs of promise.
      Now, there will be certain attributes that determine where a kid gets played, if he's good in the air say, or has quick feet etc but I just don't buy into the whole "natural position X" thing, because they are taught that they are "right" for a position from a young age.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #14052: Sep 29, 2017 01:53:50 pm

I've been 'banging that drum' for a long time Swab, as usual it's been mocked much like the "Firmino runs a lot" and the "we create the most chances" stats, it appears until it becomes facts and goals stop or goals are scored people believe it's irrelevant. I can't help those types, I know that going from conceding loads of shots on target to the fewest is progress, while it might not yet have manifest itself in less goals conceded it will.

The initial phases of defending have improved, we just currently have a propensity for allowing one small error to escalate into a disaster. A few more fire fighters or people able to see the fire developing before it becomes an inferno is what we need. That doesn't necessarily mean a change in personnel either it just needs a change in mentality, a lot less thinking just about their own jobs but fully understanding a system/structure and seeing where the pillars are showing signs of failure and propping them up. Lucas used to do it all the time, Mascherano also, it's a key skill of a proper DM but as we don't really play with one I'm hoping one of our lads can develop the skill, two would perfect.

Quick Reply