Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1530940 times
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #14881: Nov 26, 2017 10:30:47 pm
      14 points out league title lt a disgrace we had money buy few more players get rid of Henderson couple more now we back square one other rebuilt job on next year
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #14882: Nov 26, 2017 11:13:22 pm
      Klopp when announced as manager:

"But nobody starts as a ball possession team. You cannot start and say 'OK, we have the ball and the other players have to wait’. The first thing, always, maybe in life, you need to have a stable defence. That's the first thing, always. Because you can only stay confident in a game when you know not each offensive move of the other team is a goal. That's the first thing and when you start a development nobody starts a development from the top of the table, only a few teams."

So why are we an exception?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #14883: Nov 27, 2017 02:24:11 am
      Thought this was good from The Guardian:

"To some extent, Liverpool are England’s Whac-A-Mole club: as soon as one problem subsides, another rises up. At the start of the season they were not clinical enough, but then started scoring, at which point their defence again came under scrutiny. They tightened up, but now their mental strength and manager’s game-management have been called into question. All of which are fair enough but should not take away from the fact Liverpool are a very good team who are doing pretty well right now, domestically as well as in Europe.

Failings need to addressed and some players simply need replacing but Liverpool are progressing – how quickly is in the eye of the beholder. As far as Klopp is concerned, they are not only on track but doing things the right way."

As I said midweek, we are not quite there, but we are on track and any talk of changing managers is just so....wrong.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,236 posts | 8573 
      Reply #14884: Nov 27, 2017 02:45:58 am
      Not if we had Playoffs like in the NFL. I preach this for years, would make everything more interesting.

Stupidest idea yet!!

Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,339 posts | 1011 
      Reply #14885: Nov 27, 2017 08:33:03 am
      Not if we had Playoffs like in the NFL. I preach this for years, would make everything more interesting.

Give me strength!!!

redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #14886: Nov 27, 2017 10:01:08 am
      So what was the big thing with Klopp and Mane and why in the f**k did Mane not play more than 1 minute of the game, is he injured?

I'm beginning to question the motive of these last 3 minutes sub. Does Klopp expects Mane to run at the speed of a jet and score a goal or two? Mr. Klopp, please comes round here and elsewhere and read what fans have to say and stop being stubborn. By having these useless last 3 mins subs, Klopp is sending a very very negative message to those on the pitch by implying that any player can play poorly until the last 3 minutes of the game, well almost the entire match and they can continue to be complacent. Try replacing players on the 50th minute mark and they will be shiting. But does Klopp has the guts to do just that. So far I;ve only seen more procrastination till the game is almost over before subs introduced. Either he simply has too much fate in the underperformed players or he has no clue with what he is doing, or he has a malfunctioned watch.

Opposition managers could be having a good laugh now. It is embarassing, truly embarassing to us fans, we continued to be mocked by rivals fans.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,975 posts | 3058 
      Reply #14887: Nov 27, 2017 10:11:18 am
      I said yesterday this was a strange time for Jürgen.

Reminds me a lot of the second half of Kenny’s second season (2011-12).

General malcontent that money had been spent in the wrong areas - Henderson, Downing.

No proper money spent on defence - Coates / Enrique were seen as cheap alternatives to top targets.

Debate as to whether we’d really seen progress - Cup runs in 11/12 but faltering in league by comparison.

Manager derided as tactically naive, unsophisticated and stubbornly loyal. “A good motivator” was the recurring phrase......talk about being damned with faint praise.

What followed from sections of the support on here and, more pertinently the club, in the last few months of that season was not the most edifying spectacle. A great manager was treated appallingly and we can’t wipe that stain away - lots will blame the board only but I remember the “debates” in here......

Interesting to see how the weeks and months develop. I have a very real fear that short termism will prosper and the agitation for change will grow.

No manager is perfect, mistakes will be made and even if hundreds of millions of pounds were to be spent squad and first-team development isn’t always linear.

The question for me is “will Jürgen make the footballing side of the club better” and the answer remains Yes.

January could be a watershed. It’ll certainly flush out a few more one way or t’other.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #14888: Nov 27, 2017 12:19:26 pm
      I said yesterday this was a strange time for Jürgen.

Reminds me a lot of the second half of Kenny’s second season (2011-12).

General malcontent that money had been spent in the wrong areas - Henderson, Downing.

No proper money spent on defence - Coates / Enrique were seen as cheap alternatives to top targets.

Debate as to whether we’d really seen progress - Cup runs in 11/12 but faltering in league by comparison.

Manager derided as tactically naive, unsophisticated and stubbornly loyal. “A good motivator” was the recurring phrase......talk about being damned with faint praise.

What followed from sections of the support on here and, more pertinently the club, in the last few months of that season was not the most edifying spectacle. A great manager was treated appallingly and we can’t wipe that stain away - lots will blame the board only but I remember the “debates” in here......

Interesting to see how the weeks and months develop. I have a very real fear that short termism will prosper and the agitation for change will grow.

No manager is perfect, mistakes will be made and even if hundreds of millions of pounds were to be spent squad and first-team development isn’t always linear.

The question for me is “will Jürgen make the footballing side of the club better” and the answer remains Yes.

January could be a watershed. It’ll certainly flush out a few more one way or t’other.

On balance so far the answer is no. We are not moving forward under Klopp. Our ability to defend has not improved under him, our ability to control games has not improved, and on current form, our league finishes won't have either. That's not an advocation for a change of manager because that would be even worse, but Klopp does need to pull his finger out. Come January the last player we need to be chasing is Draxler. We need to be looking at making inroads into improving the Spine of the team. A Center back at the very least but if we must sign another Midfielder, make it a defensive one. A Goalkeeper wouldn't go amiss either. No, the jury should still be out on Klopp and if it wasn't this weird personality cult that's grown up around him, it would.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,439 posts | 3422 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #14889: Nov 27, 2017 12:27:41 pm
      On balance so far the answer is no. We are not moving forward under Klopp. Our ability to defend has not improved under him, our ability to control games has not improved, and on current form, our league finishes won't have either. That's not an advocation for a change of manager because that would be even worse, but Klopp does need to pull his finger out. Come January the last player we need to be chasing is Draxler. We need to be looking at making inroads into improving the Spine of the team. A Center back at the very least but if we must sign another Midfielder, make it a defensive one. A Goalkeeper wouldn't go amiss either. No, the jury should still be out on Klopp and if it wasn't this weird personality cult that's grown up around him, it would.

Weird personality cult surrounding a Liverpool manager, if you want that there is a thread available.  Are we better overall now then when Jürgen took over, the answer is yes, are we better defensively then no.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #14890: Nov 27, 2017 01:35:55 pm
      Weird personality cult surrounding a Liverpool manager, if you want that there is a thread available.  Are we better overall now then when Jürgen took over, the answer is yes, are we better defensively then no.

We have definitely improved as an attacking force so much so that I'm not fearing the Pulis style bus parkers as much.

Defensively there is work to do and I'm confident that will be the next area Jürgen will look to improve.

Overall I would say he has improved us just a shame some seem to think he has City/Utd type funds to build up what was a sinking ship after Rodgers left.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,337 posts | 6389 
      Reply #14891: Nov 27, 2017 01:37:02 pm

It would actually be a quite interesting game to be played.....the best squad from the Brodgers "era" vs Jürgen's current squad. Wonder who would win that one?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #14892: Nov 27, 2017 01:37:33 pm

Supporting a manager who has been here 2 years count me in that cult.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,337 posts | 6389 
      Reply #14893: Nov 27, 2017 01:38:06 pm

Overall I would say he has improved us just a shame some seem to think he has City/Utd type funds

I'd take Everton type funds at this point
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #14894: Nov 27, 2017 01:43:06 pm
      I'd take Everton type funds at this point

Indeed mate hence why rebuilding will be done slowly, another year and we can start to judge properly.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,461 posts | 4589 
      Reply #14895: Nov 27, 2017 02:01:01 pm
      The 'Kult of Klopp'? Count me in..

Barring our early league cup exit we seem to be doing ok with a sh*te keeper & our important players coming back through injury & second half we seem to fire on all cylinders..

Buckle up..
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #14896: Nov 27, 2017 02:41:57 pm
      Love Klopp. Every manager makes decisions that we don't always understand or agree with, and that generates frustration (it was the same with Rafa and his negative bench, for instance, but I adore the man), but in the bigger picture he's doing a decent job.

The one thing that does frustrate me more than most, however, is an unwillingness to change parts of the team that are so obviously under-performing (GK for instance). I don't think it would be that difficult (nor costly) to improve on certain positions. But then again we get back to recruitment, and to funds, and how much of those decisions are up to the manager or not. And LFC as a club have failed so badly on those things of late...
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #14897: Nov 27, 2017 02:45:55 pm

There are things at the club, like Klopp himself being marketed onto mugs, key rings etc that I have spurned and thought as a bit cringey in all honesty. I can see why some would think 'cult' when seeing those products but as a manager I don't think there's a cult amongst supporters. There's been a lot of criticism towards him, including by myself, but there's no doubt in my mind that he is the best manager we could possibly have at this club.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #14898: Nov 27, 2017 02:52:48 pm
      We have definitely improved as an attacking force so much so that I'm not fearing the Pulis style bus parkers as much.

Defensively there is work to do and I'm confident that will be the next area Jürgen will look to improve.

Overall I would say he has improved us just a shame some seem to think he has City/Utd type funds to build up what was a sinking ship after Rodgers left.

Why are you confident that Jürgen will now address the defensive issue when that has been the most important, yet unaddressed, issue throughout his stewardship, what's changed?
      For me it  the whole attitude and competence of the man which I'm starting to question, he simply does not know how to organise a defence or protect a lead, for a top level coach that is insane.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #14899: Nov 27, 2017 02:53:46 pm
      It would actually be a quite interesting game to be played.....the best squad from the Brodgers "era" vs Jürgen's current squad. Wonder who would win that one?

There'd certainly be a hell of a lot of goals but I'd go with Brendan's team, purely because of Stevie and Luis.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,337 posts | 6389 
      Reply #14900: Nov 27, 2017 03:06:07 pm
      There are things at the club, like Klopp himself being marketed onto mugs, key rings etc that I have spurned and thought as a bit cringey in all honesty. I can see why some would think 'cult' when seeing those products but as a manager I don't think there's a cult amongst supporters. There's been a lot of criticism towards him, including by myself, but there's no doubt in my mind that he is the best manager we could possibly have at this club.

Well put.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #14901: Nov 27, 2017 03:11:39 pm
      Why are you confident that Jürgen will now address the defensive issue when that has been the most important, yet unaddressed, issue throughout his stewardship, what's changed?
      For me it  the whole attitude and competence of the man which I'm starting to question, he simply does not know how to organise a defence or protect a lead, for a top level coach that is insane.

Depends on the philosophy of the manager.
      Rafa and Mourinho with a don't want to lose mentality will build the defence first but Klopp/ Guardiola who always want to go out and win build they're attack first.

The vast majority of times it's the team with the best attack which has gone on to win the league (obviously still need a defence which concedes less than 40 goals).
      The team with the best defence winning the league is a rarity.

Personally I don't mind us leaking the odd goal as long as it's not detrimental to results, obviously our defence not yet capable enough.

You think Klopp won two titles and reached a CL final playing keegan style football? He knows perfectly well the defence needs strengthening hence why he so strongly wanted VVD.

Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,203 posts | 838 
      Reply #14902: Nov 27, 2017 03:43:00 pm
      Rafa and Mourinho with a don't want to lose mentality will build the defence first but Klopp/ Guardiola who always want to go out and win build they're attack first.

The vast majority of times it's the team with the best attack which has gone on to win the league (obviously still need a defence which concedes less than 40 goals).

Personally I don't mind us leaking the odd goal as long as it's not detrimental to results, obviously our defence not yet capable enough.

You think Klopp won two titles and reached a CL final playing keegan style football? He knows perfectly well the defence needs strengthening hence why he so strongly wanted VVD.

All we need is consistently finish top 4 in the next 2 season if we are to improve and buy better players.

The problem we've had before we went on one season finishing with a CL place then the next 2  years finishing outside of the top 4. If we manage to land another CL this season then I'll be more optimistic about future seasons.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #14903: Nov 27, 2017 03:55:59 pm

If Klopp knows the defence needs strengthening then why the F**k doesn't he strengthen it??  Klopp is a fantastic man manager, no question about that, but I think he's a fairly average tactical manager, certainly in terms of defence.

Quick Reply