Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1529765 times
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #15042: Dec 10, 2017 07:20:38 pm
      Got a text before off my mate who said we've made something like 59 changes to our starting 11 this season which is the most in the league and the team who were second were on 39 changes or so.

There is a golden rule in football that you should never change a winning team and I'm a firm believer of that.

Leicester for example, won the league with the same 11 players more or less who were extremely high on confidence. Confidence in football is everything.

The team who played on Wednesday should have started today in my opinion and klopp got it all wrong.

I'm not buying this 'yeah but the team played today dominated the game'. We might have had all of the ball, but that's because Everton weren't interested in having it. Our play was slow, boring, predictable and very easy to defend against.

You can control a game of football without the ball just like you can with the ball. And today, as bad and horrible as they were to watch, I thought Everton were in control and we gave Pickford no problems at all.

The front four should have played and we should never start a game with both Henderson and Milner in midfield.

Very poor today.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,434 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #15043: Dec 10, 2017 07:32:03 pm
      Got a text before off my mate who said we've made something like 59 changes to our starting 11 this season which is the most in the league and the team who were second were on 39 changes or so.

There is a golden rule in football that you should never change a winning team and I'm a firm believer of that.

Leicester for example, won the league with the same 11 players more or less who were extremely high on confidence. Confidence in football is everything.

The team who played on Wednesday should have started today in my opinion and klopp got it all wrong.

I'm not buying this 'yeah but the team played today dominated the game'. We might have had all of the ball, but that's because Everton weren't interested in having it. Our play was slow, boring, predictable and very easy to defend against.

You can control a game of football without the ball just like you can with the ball. And today, as bad and horrible as they were to watch, I thought Everton were in control and we gave Pickford no problems at all.

The front four should have played and we should never start a game with both Henderson and Milner in midfield.

Very poor today.

Everton were in control of what exactly ?
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #15044: Dec 10, 2017 07:55:26 pm
      I didn't agree with Kloppo's analysis of the penalty post match.

Sure, we're all a bit wounded because they were not even in it until that moment.

It was a clear shove from Lovren and another to add to his list of careless mistakes.

Although aside from today I've been enjoying the rotation process as it's only going to benefit us in the long run. Had we had won this today, no one would be questioning his selection choices.

We kick on again midweek to put this right, up the reds.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #15045: Dec 10, 2017 07:59:11 pm

And last season we were shot as a club within a week after Xmas...nice to use a one-off event like Leicesters run to make an argument.

Coutinho..Firmino...ever ybody's legs were gone by January last year...we have a good squad and it's deep; whats the point of not using it?

Playing the same players game in game out until the burn out makes zero sense.

Mane should have laid the ball off for AOC and it would have been 2-0 game over in the first half we dominated them in every way...they scored in the only way they were ever going too..a soft pen.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #15046: Dec 10, 2017 08:03:40 pm
      And last season we were shot as a club within a week after Xmas...nice to use a one-off event like Leicesters run to make an argument.

Coutinho..Firmino...ever ybody's legs were gone by January last year...we have a good squad and it's deep; whats the point of not using it?

Playing the same players game in game out until the burn out makes zero sense.

Mane should have laid the ball off for AOC and it would have been 2-0 game over in the first half we dominated them in every way...they scored in the only way they were ever going too..a soft pen.

My argument was about keeping the confidence going and keep playing our in form players as much as possible.

Even Henderson biggest lovers have coughed he's been dreadful for us recently.

We've already rotated enough the past few weeks so our squad should be fresh. The 11 that played on Wednesday were hardly run ragid, they had an easy nights work.

Klopp should have gone full strength today and if he felt players needed resting then taken them off after 60-70 mins.

Everton is one of the biggest games for us each season. Rest players against f**king WBA if ya have too and then it's not AS BIG of a deal.
      « Last Edit: Dec 10, 2017 08:42:57 pm by HamannsTheMan »
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #15047: Dec 10, 2017 08:04:15 pm
      Everton were in control of what exactly ?

Limiting us to virtually nothing.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #15048: Dec 10, 2017 08:34:31 pm
      Leicester for example, won the league with the same 11 players more or less who were extremely high on confidence.

They also didn't have midweek Champions League games so I wouldn't even be looking at Leicester as a comparison because their situation was completely different.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #15049: Dec 10, 2017 08:50:38 pm
      Really lost on all this selection business. The team did brilliantly for 75 minutes. If we're going to criticise Klopp then criticise his subs but his eleven he put out today secured a lead, dominated and controlled possession. As he notes - SEVEN games in 21 days. Come on lads! Everything was going well until one silly mistake. He seems to accept that the Salah sub didn't work out well but I'd say that's the only thing he got wrong today. Still it didn't have to be a costly error if Lovren hadn't made a mistake.

At the end of the day I continue to be so grateful that we have Jürgen Klopp in the dugout and they have Sam Allardyce.

Class, elegance, vibrancy, charisma vs immoral, sleazy, perverted cuntery.

The latter has only paved a way to relegation for Allardyce's previous teams who's absence from this league is something to be thankful for so let's not allow those Blueshite to forget what they have let themselves in for.

Us? Well we can look forward to better days regardless of how annoying this result is.

Fully agree.

But if we just take some time to think about the why of the substitutions. Do we or can we really blame Klopp for the idea behind it?

Salah, out of our front four, has played the most minutes in the PL.  Bar Palace and Stoke, he has started every single game. He has started every single CL game and in the previous to last international break, he played his games for Egypt and helped them qualify. This is the first time in his career that he is playing this many games in quick succession.

With all that in mind, look at the situation we were in at that point in the game. We're dominating possession and easily controlling the game. Everton barely manages to get into our half. We don't really look like scoring. What do you do with your star player? Do you keep him on, hoping to score the 2-0, even though we don't look like scoring and risk him (injury / fitness wise)? Or do you take him off to protect him, protect the 1-0 lead, change shape a little and add another player (Firmino) who can drop into midfield to make us more solid in the middle?

Then after we conceded, we look to make a goal. You look to the bench and we have: Trent, Can, Wijnaldum, Ings and Coutinho. Two forward players. He put both on them on the pitch. Again, not sure what people were hoping or expecting he would do? You can't go gung-ho and risk conceding a second one. You need to keep your shape and bring fresh legs on the pitch. That's what he did by replacing Ox and Solanke, who were both tired.

I honestly don't see anything wrong with the substitutions. The only thing I might have done differently, is take off Solanke, who was struggling a bit, off earlier. Then again, the only other option to play up top was Ings, who hadn't played a PL game in a year and a half.

Do I look seeing our most attacking threat go off the pitch? Of course not. If it'd be possible, I'd have him play every single minute of the near 60 games we're likely going to play this season.
      « Last Edit: Dec 10, 2017 08:56:28 pm by Danzel »
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #15050: Dec 10, 2017 08:51:49 pm
      They also didn't have midweek Champions League games so I wouldn't even be looking at Leicester as a comparison because their situation was completely different.

I'm not comparing us to Leicester.

I said that confidence in football is massive. I'm also a believer of keeping a winning team as much as possible and playing your players who are in form and leaving those who aren't in form out.

Pretty simple isn't it?

I used Leicester as an example to show how big confidence and having in form players is in football. It's massive.

I know we need to rotate but we've been doing it for a few weeks now so our squad should be fresh. Who in our squad has burned out? None of us train with them every day so we won't really know but on a Saturday they all look lively to me.

Even hendersons biggest admirers on this forum alone have coughed how poor he has been recently. So why is he starting today? When klopp said after wednesdays game Henderson would be playing on Sunday many of us were disappointed.

Why is solanke playing in a Merseyside Derby? I like the look of the lad but come on. He has hardly played a game for us.

Why is Milner pairing Henderson in the midfield? Two players who are similar and who can do the same job?

The line up was garbage.

« Last Edit: Dec 10, 2017 09:16:09 pm by HamannsTheMan »
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #15051: Dec 10, 2017 09:10:24 pm
      Again we were always going to dominate. I said at half time the British lads were struggling for creativity and in the end we scored from a moment of brilliance. The actual build up team play was pretty dire to me.

Ox in the first half over hitting everything. Robinson starting every cross top close to the keeper. Milner will always do what Milner does. Hendo will huff and puff. Solankie was really bad.

In the end we were left with Mane who was poor again other than running fast and Salah who was brilliant and produced some indovidual brilliance.

Those English players will always struggle to break a team down because they don't have any magic in them. It's why England struggle. It's all hard work, strong running and straight lines.

Chuck Solankie and Ox out for Firmino and Coutinho then theres threats all over the park and we're not talking about dominating a draw, we're talking about smashing Everton for 4 or 5.

Nobody expects players to play every game, but I do expect the strongest XI possible for the derby.

The game to rest players was against West Brom but now the pressure is on that game and in all honesty I think Klopp would do it that way if he had his chance again.

That will have been a lot more draining today than the walkabout in midweek last week.

The whole thinking makes zero sense I'm afraid.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #15052: Dec 10, 2017 09:15:58 pm
      Is trying the rotation, it's generally working pretty well, but came a bit unstuck today.
      Was disappointed to see Salah leave, given he's our top scorer and we needed a 2nd, and imho Ings hasn't shown enough to come on as a sub in the derby, would be Gini or Emre on instead.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,265 posts | 2826 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #15053: Dec 10, 2017 09:24:48 pm
      Reading through some posts and talking to people after the game the one glaring thing being overlooked while getting lost in team selections and was it a peno is the fact that Lovern completely lost the flight of the ball. A simple lobg ball bamboozled him. He fullh misjudged it. Everything after that was a typical Lovern cluster fook.

Lovern Moreno Mignolet. Take them out of the equation whats our points tally tonight??
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #15054: Dec 10, 2017 09:32:21 pm
      we have a good squad and it's deep; whats the point of not using it?

I believe that is the point.... We don't... We have no one coming off the bench if we play our best 11 that you could really call a game changer Arsenal,City,Utd,Chelsea and even Spurs have
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,200 posts | 836 
      Reply #15055: Dec 10, 2017 09:35:59 pm
      It's really unbelievable with the Klopp moaning on here. Yes I can understand some criticism of him for today's game but some criticism are not really justified especially the way we have been playing in the past 10 games so far. People tend to forget that we are not a finished team yet, nor we are good enough to challenge for the title. We are close to Christmas right now but we are still 5 points away from 2nd and look good in the table despite our setback at the beginning of the season. We are in an unbeaten run of 10 games and in those 10 games we have scored more than any other team in the league, even Man City. We also conceded less than Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal & Tottenham, so please we are doing far better defensively than we have done in the past and we are scoring loads of goals. I would never would have thought that our defense would up their game so well, despite Lovren's stupidty today he's been solid in other games, Joe Gomez looks phenomenal, Moreno improved & Klavan solid too. Our CB pairing is not perfect, but credit where credit is due, they've been solid so far and it shows.

So what's to moan about? because Klopp decided to rotate? he did that before and it worked, this time it was working but individual errors and small details in the game cost us. Sh*t happens, so you learn from them and move on to the next game. Look at our schedule, we have to rest players or else we risk injuring our best players, so I would rather we rest some players rather than having them injured for a long time.

Of course it's frustrating not to beat the bitters, I was as angry as you guys and really angry at not closing the game sooner today, but let's calm down, take a deep breath and think rationally for a minute. Let's look at how we are doing at the moment. Games like these will happen again, but what's important is that we keep our good run of form going and see ourselves in January. I don't think Klopp did much wrong with his lineup today, it worked before against other teams so why shouldn't work again? He thought the lineup he had today is enough to beat the bitters and I think he was right, so hopefully we have an energized team in the 2nd half of the season and we can go a little bit more with our run and keep the consistency we have been showing so far.

Don't deny it, we've improved massively since August.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #15056: Dec 10, 2017 09:37:16 pm
      Fully agree.

But if we just take some time to think about the why of the substitutions. Do we or can we really blame Klopp for the idea behind it?

Salah, out of our front four, has played the most minutes in the PL.  Bar Palace and Stoke, he has started every single game. He has started every single CL game and in the previous to last international break, he played his games for Egypt and helped them qualify. This is the first time in his career that he is playing this many games in quick succession.

With all that in mind, look at the situation we were in at that point in the game. We're dominating possession and easily controlling the game. Everton barely manages to get into our half. We don't really look like scoring. What do you do with your star player? Do you keep him on, hoping to score the 2-0, even though we don't look like scoring and risk him (injury / fitness wise)? Or do you take him off to protect him, protect the 1-0 lead, change shape a little and add another player (Firmino) who can drop into midfield to make us more solid in the middle?

Then after we conceded, we look to make a goal. You look to the bench and we have: Trent, Can, Wijnaldum, Ings and Coutinho. Two forward players. He put both on them on the pitch. Again, not sure what people were hoping or expecting he would do? You can't go gung-ho and risk conceding a second one. You need to keep your shape and bring fresh legs on the pitch. That's what he did by replacing Ox and Solanke, who were both tired.

I honestly don't see anything wrong with the substitutions. The only thing I might have done differently, is take off Solanke, who was struggling a bit, off earlier. Then again, the only other option to play up top was Ings, who hadn't played a PL game in a year and a half.

Do I look seeing our most attacking threat go off the pitch? Of course not. If it'd be possible, I'd have him play every single minute of the near 60 games we're likely going to play this season.

Anyone struggling to follow the logic with this, quite simply, can't be helped.

Exactly as I saw it and everything made perfect sense. I saw the fact he was keeping Solanke on was to give further rest to our players who are no doubt in the 'red' zone in terms of minutes played and also give a top prospect more playing time in difficult conditions he wont be used to and will need to adapt to playing for us.

It made sense, hindsight will always find the perfect solution, unfortunately we can't live in the past, as much as we all know what we should have done.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #15057: Dec 10, 2017 09:37:45 pm
      Regardless of whether you believe Lovren cost us the game or not today, our football was poor and Pickford wasn't tested and for me that is inexcusable.

Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,200 posts | 836 
      Reply #15058: Dec 10, 2017 09:38:56 pm
      Reading through some posts and talking to people after the game the one glaring thing being overlooked while getting lost in team selections and was it a peno is the fact that Lovern completely lost the flight of the ball. A simple lobg ball bamboozled him. He fullh misjudged it. Everything after that was a typical Lovern cluster fook.

Lovern Moreno Mignolet. Take them out of the equation whats our points tally tonight??

in the last 4 games, we conceded 2 goals and they were penalties. I think Lovren has been solid but he isn't a top player  and he will f*ck up here and there but let's not forget that he improved massively since his diabolical performance against Tottenham.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #15059: Dec 10, 2017 09:39:29 pm

I suppose but then again if we're replacing them with current squad players perhaps a similar amount?

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #15060: Dec 10, 2017 09:53:21 pm
      Sadio squares the ball at the end of the 1st half and 3 pages of posts here disappear. Referee doesn't totally gag on an important decision and at least two pages go away.

Very disappointing result and an opportunity to climb the table lost, but while I was surprised by the starting XI (I thought rotation would come in the next two matches), I can understand the logic for that and the subs.

Phil took a knock early in the Spartak game, and didn't he miss training at least one day in between? Could it just be possible he wasn't fit to go 90? Has anyone even asked?

Also getting tired of the little niggling comments from certain members of the press, just little cheap shots at Klopp apparently because he isn't buddy-buddy with the news media. If you don't like him being irritated with you lot, quit asking stupid questions.
      « Last Edit: Dec 10, 2017 10:05:38 pm by Robby The Z »
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #15061: Dec 10, 2017 11:32:00 pm
      Say what you like about the starting 11 but the in game management was atrocious.

Solanke shouldn't have been anywhere that starting 11 today and should've been tugged by 60, latest. Ox and Salah getting  tugged before him was madness. Both were doing well and Everton were scared of them. There was absolutely no need to take Mo off whatsoever. Nada.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #15062: Dec 10, 2017 11:49:10 pm
      Say what you like about the starting 11 but the in game management was atrocious.

Solanke shouldn't have been anywhere that starting 11 today and should've been tugged by 60, latest. Ox and Salah getting  tugged before him was madness. Both were doing well and Everton were scared of them. There was absolutely no need to take Mo off whatsoever. Nada.
      Yea I agree, but I’d have even taken Mane off before Salah.
      3rdJune1892
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 35 posts |
      Reply #15063: Dec 10, 2017 11:59:42 pm

At the end of the day I continue to be so grateful that we have Jürgen Klopp in the dugout and they have Sam Allardyce.

Class, elegance, vibrancy, charisma vs immoral, sleazy, perverted cuntery.

Klopp was anything but elegance and class after todays match. Just watched MOTD and he was no bettter than Mourinho. Embarrasing.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #15064: Dec 11, 2017 12:06:05 am

So I assume you know for certain that Mo wasn't knackered or had a slight knock etc.
      Look it's just one of those games where we were slightly out of sharpness, play that game again and we smash them.

Quick Reply