Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1561973 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #5060: Feb 28, 2016 09:58:58 pm

Not enough creativity in midfield. We didn't change anything when City were putting us to the sword. Players looked completely knackered and were cramping up - partly (a big part) due to them being overtrained.
      Not sure where you have any facts to back this claim up. The way I understand it (as I've read from seemingly reliable sources) is that Klopp is not even implementing his desired training tactics due to the crowded schedule. He's only really working on rest and recovery between matches, not breaking anyone down.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #5061: Feb 28, 2016 11:04:38 pm
      We should have done better today.

Not enough creativity in midfield. We didn't change anything when City were putting us to the sword. Players looked completely knackered and were cramping up - partly (a big part) due to them being overtrained.

It's always unlucky to lose on penalties but why the strikers weren't taking them is beyond me. And the only reason things got to that stage was because City (and especially Sterling) missed chance after chance. They deserved to win the match today and didn't because of their own wastefulness not because of anything we did.

We need to do better in the Europa. Wrong selection, tactics, substitutions, training and penalty takers today in my opinion.

I wouldn't say training mate, I'd say the amount of games lately has taken a toll
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #5062: Feb 28, 2016 11:21:06 pm
      Imagine what he'll do when he brings in his own players

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,546 posts | 3474 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #5063: Feb 28, 2016 11:38:42 pm

It's always unlucky to lose on penalties but why the strikers weren't taking them is beyond me. And the only reason things got to that stage was because City (and especially Sterling) missed chance after chance. They deserved to win the match today and didn't because of their own wastefulness not because of anything we did.

We need to do better in the Europa. Wrong selection, tactics, substitutions, training and penalty takers today in my opinion.

overtrained ? Most of the time between games is recovery time, what tactics or team selection did he get wrong today ? If you are going to criticise then actually back it up, what would you have done differently ?
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,364 posts | 290 
      Reply #5064: Feb 28, 2016 11:39:11 pm
      Just thinking things through a bit, presumably our ultimate aim will now be to win the Europa League which is realistically our only chance of making the CL and even if we get past Mancs it would still take a monumental effort to win the thing.
      So does that aside leave fifth place as the only chance of European football albeit the Europa? I don't know would we better not getting 5th if we don't win the Europa and having a go at the league next season ??? I don't know?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #5065: Feb 29, 2016 12:01:39 am
      Jürgen Klopp has reached a cup final in each of his last five seasons as a manager, but has lost the last four.

Not come much closer without winning another one.

Can't think of anything he did wrong today ... maybe change the penalty takers :)

Sad truth is our squad isn't good enough yet and you can't always make up for the lack of quality with effort. Long way to go and this is simply the start of that Journey.   
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #5066: Feb 29, 2016 12:09:32 am

So you know what goes on in Melwood do you?

Over trained bollocks, what a load of sh*t. Klopp states that his fitness regime hasn't even been implemented yet, but I guess you didn't read that as you can't surely be a real fan.

Did you even watch his Dortmund side? Fittest, leanest and meanest side in all of Europe - but hey, I'll go on your words and say he's a sh*t trainer as you clearly are a professor in sports science.

Maybe get real for once and admit the squad weren't fit enough for Klopp. There's only one way to get them fit and that is to put them through the pain barrier. No pain, no gain.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #5067: Feb 29, 2016 12:13:30 am
      So you know what goes on in Melwood do you?

Over trained bollocks, what a load of sh*t. Klopp states that his fitness regime hasn't even been implemented yet, but I guess you didn't read that as you can't surely be a real fan.

Did you even watch his Dortmund side? Fittest, leanest and meanest side in all of Europe - but hey, I'll go on your words. You are quite obviously a sports scientist.

Maybe we can all lay off the "real fan" gripe? Bit sophomoric isnt it?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #5068: Feb 29, 2016 12:16:16 am
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #5069: Feb 29, 2016 12:16:55 am
      Jürgen Klopp has reached a cup final in each of his last five seasons as a manager, but has lost the last four.

Can't think of anything he did wrong today ... maybe change the penalty takers :)

Sad truth is our squad isn't good enough yet and you can't always make up for the lack of quality with effort. Long way to go and this is simply the start of that Journey.   

Agree with that mate, I might have played Kolo with Lucas in for Hendo but with Sakho getting injured even that would have been reverted so as you say his options were so few that team selection virtually picked itself.

I thought the Wembley pitch would highlight our midfield deficiencies beforehand and unfortunately that's where we lost the battle.

Jürgen will bring in his own players in the summer, I'm wondering just how many midfielders that might include.

I know people are saying Can/Hendo/Milner will definitely be here next year but beyond Can I'm less convinced. Milner doubtfully wants to stay if he's not first XI and Hendo will be in his 'peak' years 26-28 from June, is he really going to accept a squad role.

Right now I get the feeling our first XI for next year will be unrecognisable from our current one.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #5070: Feb 29, 2016 12:22:47 am
      Maybe we can all lay off the "real fan" gripe? Bit sophomoric isnt it?

"Real fans" don't use words like sophomoric :)
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #5071: Feb 29, 2016 12:28:35 am
      I know people are saying Can/Hendo/Milner will definitely be here next year but beyond Can I'm less convinced. Milner doubtfully wants to stay if he's not first XI and Hendo will be in his 'peak' years 26-28 from June, is he really going to accept a squad role.

Problem is mate, where would they go? I can't see any "big team" wanting Milner or Henderson, Milner is on big wages and he would just be a bench player and Henderson ... can't see him wanting to drop down a level. 

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #5072: Feb 29, 2016 12:54:36 am
      Problem is mate, where would they go? I can't see any "big team" wanting Milner or Henderson, Milner is on big wages and he would just be a bench player and Henderson ... can't see him wanting to drop down a level. 

True enough, I hear the Chinese love water carrying midfielders. Buy Milner and Henderson, we'll throw in Balotelli for free!
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #5073: Feb 29, 2016 03:23:31 am

Pretty much agree with that mate.

The penalty takers was a weird one, unless Milner didn't fancy facing his old team or was chalked down as the fifth taker, I have no idea why Can and Lucas rolled up first.

This is where Henderson fails for me, well, he failed as captain the day he let Balotelli take a pen off him. His stones are the size of atoms, and where was our illustrious captain again during this match?Hiding. Had he, or Milner the bollocks to step up in place of Lucas for that pen we'd have been 2 up and the pressure would have been cranked right up on them.

Also, personally, I thought in ET Klopp should have put Benteke on for Sturridge Saint. He had a shocking game and by that time anyway looked dead on his feet.

Apart from that, there isn't much he Klopp could have done. Glad he hooked Moreno and it was a good decision to swing Milner back there but as you said he doesn't have the quality at his disposal. Mind you, in saying that Klopp watched a transfer window and waved it goodbye, who knows, had he have bought one decent player back then, the result 'could' have been different today. Small margins an' all.

So, I suppose it's back to the stuff legends are made of in here now; posting his quotes and acclaiming omnipotence to him. 
      « Last Edit: Feb 29, 2016 08:34:32 am by Beerbelly »
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #5074: Feb 29, 2016 04:12:13 am
      Well ultimately we lost because our keeper let a soft shot in

What you want the manager to do there?

It seems to me some people for their own agenda are trying to build an argument to suit their view point.

Your points that we are having hamstring injuries because of the managers training and approach to games? Well f**k me we all knew his approach to games and what they would be and that it may increase in training sessions and that in the short term may cause issues, I'm not sure who that is news to... It happened his first year at Dortmund.
      So what you want him to do? F**k off what's made him successful? F**k off his approach? F**k off what gained him his reputation and the job in the first place?

Our rivals do have better players than us, it's a fact mate, the reason we brought Jürgen in is to breach that gap but did you expect that to happen over night? Really? When the approach that you know, I know, we all know will take time and likely early issues like a few teething injuries to implement?

So what have you told us? Or you just being a bad tit?

Any manager has to weigh up the balance between sticking to his philosophy and doing what is practical to get the points on the board. LVG being a case in point.

You can blame the shot if you want but, if you look at the performance, City could have expected to score three more goals during that match as they wasted clear-cut chances.

As far as i am concerned Klopp has made mistakes - sorry if thats such a heretical thing to say now thatbthe groupthonk has moved on from "its all Brendans fault" to "its down to John Henry" to "Klopps hoing to win everything in sight" to "oh you cant expect him to win with such an average squad". Ive been consistent in my views - sure we all get a bit carried away by the enthusiasm he generates in the press conferences etc. but it seems to me like only yesterday people were posting about how "we've beaten them before so we'll beat them again" to "you cant expect him to win because our players arent as good."

Well which one is it? Because we're hardly putting the lesser teams to the sword.

The players were good enough to thrash City before - not just sneak a win - dont tell me that we didnt have the tools to do the job this time.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #5075: Feb 29, 2016 04:24:02 am
      I wouldn't say training mate, I'd say the amount of games lately has taken a toll

Its been a factor mate but the games havent taken us by surprise - they were all scheduled.

Since he got here he put them through tough double-session training (see the tweets above about players throwing up etc) then, when we hit the heavy schedule of games (where the sessions were decreased/stopped between games) they started dropping out with injuries.

I posted a tweet from Raymond Verheijen predicting further hamstring injuries after the Christmas schedule - followed up by four significant hamstring injuries or strains.

Its not a huge mystery - the same thing happened in his first season at Dortmund but lets not pretend its fate or some sort of coincidence unrelated to our training regime. Its a deliberate choice by the manager.

If it works out he takes the plaudits and, if not, we get the usual excuses from the "oh its not his squad anyway" brigade. So business as usual.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #5076: Feb 29, 2016 04:39:27 am
      overtrained ? Most of the time between games is recovery time, what tactics or team selection did he get wrong today ? If you are going to criticise then actually back it up, what would you have done differently ?

Well theres a few different things I could mention but its late and in going to bed so ill just concentrate on one.

Why was our big-money Summer transfer star striker signing on the bench? The guy who dug us out of trouble in Klopps early games here? The one who was scoring the spectacular overhead kicks? The proven 1-in-2 scorer who now seemingly doesnt know what to do on the pitch and has his confidence shattered.

Can we say he has been well handled? Have the rest of our strikers? Are we really getting the best out of our squad?

Plenty in the game seem to rate him and think hes unplayable on his day - supposedly including Drogba who apparently wanted Chelsea to buy him for big money.

But no, hes not producing the goods so "he's sh*te".

Again, in choosing between his philosophy or trying to get the best out of whatbwe had in the squad, Klopp has made a strategic error this season. Its been a weak league with all the major teams in transition (apart from Arsenal) - thats why Leicester are top. It will be different next year with Guardiola, Conte, Mourinho here all backed by big money. Three points this season will countbfor more than three points next season in terms of league position.

Handled in the right way i believe theres enough talent in the squad to have made top 4 this year.

Last year we missed outbon the final dus to a 94th minute headed goal from the eventual league champions. This year we had an easy draw and snuck through on penalties. Of wd had son today it would have been lucky - noone can say we deserved to.

In my books thats not a string argument that we have progressed - although - according to some on here its a "miracle".

Sorry but thats not good enough for LFC.
      « Last Edit: Feb 29, 2016 04:58:58 am by Hollywood Balls »
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #5077: Feb 29, 2016 05:52:47 am
      As far as i am concerned Klopp has made mistakes - sorry if thats such a heretical thing to say now thatbthe groupthonk has moved on from "its all Brendans fault" to "its down to John Henry" to "Klopps hoing to win everything in sight" to "oh you cant expect him to win with such an average squad". Ive been consistent in my views - sure we all get a bit carried away by the enthusiasm he generates in the press conferences etc. but it seems to me like only yesterday people were posting about how "we've beaten them before so we'll beat them again" to "you cant expect him to win because our players arent as good."

^
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #5078: Feb 29, 2016 05:56:41 am
      Well ultimately we lost because our keeper let a soft shot in

No. No we didn't. A bit of a whopper that one. And it's ironic you go on about "agenda" a sentence later.

We "ultimtately" lost because we didn't score our penalties - let's not try and pin this on the forum's scapegoat, who indeed let in a howler, but we recovered that and he saved our bacon thereafter so no, we didn't "ultimately" lose because Mignolet let in a soft one.

TheRedPanda
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 362 posts | 82 
      Reply #5079: Feb 29, 2016 05:59:11 am
      True enough, I hear the Chinese love water carrying midfielders. Buy Milner and Henderson, we'll throw in Balotelli for free!

Its so bad that even the chinese are not coming in for any of our stars.
      TheRedPanda
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 362 posts | 82 
      Reply #5080: Feb 29, 2016 06:00:56 am
      No. No we didn't. A bit of a whopper that one. And it's ironic you go on about "agenda" a sentence later.

We "ultimtately" lost because we didn't score our penalties - let's not try and pin this on the forum's scapegoat, who indeed let in a howler, but we recovered that and he saved our bacon thereafter so no, we didn't "ultimately" lose because Mignolet let in a soft one.

Have to agree on this. Although I referred to Mignolet as a Clown after that goal, truth is he actually kept us in the game yesterday. Still an upgrade would be welcome.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #5081: Feb 29, 2016 06:09:59 am

Right now I get the feeling our first XI for next year will be unrecognisable from our current one.

So do I . So do I Luke.

Anyone spot in the heat of battle Mr Ball's post   ....

"Unlucky Sergio"

WTF   ? !

« Last Edit: Feb 29, 2016 11:33:58 am by eurored »
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #5082: Feb 29, 2016 07:19:19 am
      Link to post match presser.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3468442/Jürgen-Klopp-reveals-feels-s-Liverpool-s-Capital-One-Cup-final-defeat.html#v-3481693801643262775

Quick Reply