Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1561916 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,522 posts | 8685 
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #5106: Feb 29, 2016 01:08:02 pm
      I don't think anyone's denying that better players give you an advantage.

But if we could put 4 goals past their "spine" Of Hart ,Mangala,Toure, De Bruyne and Aguero we had the capability to
      beat a "spine " of Caballero, Kompany, Toure, Silva and Aguero yesterday - especially with Sturridge back.

Excusing Klopp by saying we "didn't have enough quality" to win is bollocks. We not only won but thrashed them with virtually the same team. If it wasn't for Hart we would have beaten them by seven goals.

EDIT: sorry reddebs just saw this.

Except Kompany is one of the best centre-backs in the league and proved it yesterday.

We don't have enough quality, we're bereft of it in the centre of the park. Our midfield is F***ing woeful.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #5107: Feb 29, 2016 01:09:00 pm
      Youre like the mouthy school bully who hides behind the teacher when they come in to the playground.

Man up FFS.

Unbelievable !
      Just seen your post.

Great minds and all that Luke !

;D

The thread is about our manager. He is called Jürgen Klopp.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #5108: Feb 29, 2016 01:09:59 pm
      We did beat them very comfortably at the Etihaad, but I think it would be unreasonable to say anybody expected us to do the same yesterday. From what I remember of the league game we kind of blitzed them with high intensity pressing, catching them by surprise with our sheer energy and workrate, and we exposed Toure as being nowhere near mobile enough.

Given on this occasion we had played a fairly tight and intense European game on the Thursday with exactly the same eleven players who lined up in the final, it was always going to be unlikely we were going to massively outrun them in the same way. Equally, my guess is that they probably knew what to expect from us in terms of going forward, simply because we play in pretty much exactly the same way every single game. They'll have known for instance that we'd have been looking to press high given the chance, they'd have known they wouldn't have to overly worry about one of our midfielders arriving in the box to score a goal, and they'd have known that if we worked the ball out wide then they could pretty much let us cross it with impunity as we don't have anybody in the team who is going to head it. They'd have known that we wouldn't be looking to hit it long as we don't have anybody who can hold it up or bring others into the game, all that sort of stuff they'd have known. Back in the heady days when we went to Chelsea and City with a "false 9" it was all a bit of the new thing to everyone (me included), but I think most people have got their heads around it now (no pun intended).

I suppose that when you consider that in the eight games which preceeded yesterday the fact that we'd scored 9 goals in total (and SIX of them were against Villa) it's not that surprising that we didn't go to Wembley and bash up Man City again. Other teams and managers aren't stupid untimately, and generally speaking you only catch them on the hop once. 
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #5109: Feb 29, 2016 01:27:26 pm
      The quality of our players has been an ongoing discussion for the last 6 or 7 seasons.  Most of what quality we did have is long gone and some of those brought in since haven't been anywhere near good enough. 

I'm sure Jürgen is formulating his plan for who and what is needed in the summer and for us amateurs it's hard to know who will remain as mainstays mainly because we've barely had the opportunity to see Jurgens work in all it's "gegenpressing, full throttle football" glory.

When he arrived in October we were all excited to see what he could do with the squad but most agreed that he needed his "type" of players to make it work properly.  A lot of us also agreed that having the remainder of the season to experience the PL first hand would be a massive learning curve for him but one that hopefully would give us an advantage for the coming season.

My question is do people still think he'll revert to his Dortmund methods once he's got a few players in and had a proper pre season to instill those methods or do you think it'll be a variation of it considering that so many more teams are set up to sit deep/low block than in the Bundesliga, therefore counteracting the press?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #5110: Feb 29, 2016 01:35:15 pm
      The quality of our players has been an ongoing discussion for the last 6 or 7 seasons.  Most of what quality we did have is long gone and some of those brought in since haven't been anywhere near good enough. 

I'm sure Jürgen is formulating his plan for who and what is needed in the summer and for us amateurs it's hard to know who will remain as mainstays mainly because we've barely had the opportunity to see Jurgens work in all it's "gegenpressing, full throttle football" glory.

When he arrived in October we were all excited to see what he could do with the squad but most agreed that he needed his "type" of players to make it work properly.  A lot of us also agreed that having the remainder of the season to experience the PL first hand would be a massive learning curve for him but one that hopefully would give us an advantage for the coming season.

My question is do people still think he'll revert to his Dortmund methods once he's got a few players in and had a proper pre season to instill those methods or do you think it'll be a variation of it considering that so many more teams are set up to sit deep/low block than in the Bundesliga, therefore counteracting the press?

It will be full throttle heavy metal football from opening match day next season Debs.

If you thing you've seen some great pressing action from us this season under Klopp just wait until you see us in August!

I believe Klopp will assemble a squad over the Summer capable of maintaining the high intensity pressing over a full season.

It will require a sizeable injection in to the squad I expect minimum 5/6 players but  he'll do it and bring in the exact quality we need.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #5111: Feb 29, 2016 01:35:43 pm
      His Dortmund faced a low block regularly.
      It is the ability to create over laps from the full backs which breaks down teams, you can see why he wants Clyne and Moreno to regularly get forward unfortunately for Moreno he is useless and for Clyne this side of the game does not come naturally.

They also had a midfield with players comfortable on the ball, able to turn and create defence into attack with devastating speed.
      We have a ponderous midfield and with Sturridge still not moving freely no pace in the forward line.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #5112: Feb 29, 2016 01:45:50 pm
      I read people arguing about why we couldn't beat a side we beat earlier in the season, with a similar side.

I've also read people talking about there spine the night at the Ethihad being more solid. The goalkeeper apart, yesterdays spine was much stronger especially defensively than earlier in the season. Why can I have so much confidence in this? Yesterdays central defensive partnership was Kompany & Ottamendi, as opposed to Mangala and DeMichelis. How can anyone sit there and say they were stronger at the Ethihad!

Earlier in the season Pellegrini left out Fernandinho and went attacking with Navas. It didn't work because Navas is poor at best in his defensive work, the same can't be said of Fernandinho. Fernandinho work tirelessly yesterday helping his fullback and hios fellow midfielders inside to stop us cutting through at will, as was the case at the Ethihad.

And yes De Bruyne played that night, but David Silva played yesterday. A different style of player but 100% no less of 1.

Long and short of it, over the 90 thought they were the better team. Thought we were better team in extra time, we road our luck at times in the game and managed to get to penalties. We lost, I'm gutted but we were due a final loss on penalties one of these days with how much success we've had down the years the same way.

Heads up lads we've a mouth watering tie in the Europa to come, and for me the team will have a totally new dynamic come next summer so anything before that is a bonus (like cup yesterday).

YNWA
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #5113: Feb 29, 2016 01:54:23 pm

The signs from this season are that he is going to stick rigidly to his philosophy and that is a worry for me.

There is far more variation in the Premiership compared to the Bundesliga and there are five or six teams to beat to the title rather than one - all of them playing in different ways.

Here, the teams adapt very quickly to styles of play so successfl managers need to be tactically flexible.

So far we haven't seen much evidence of that in Klopp's career.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #5114: Feb 29, 2016 01:56:26 pm
      It will be full throttle heavy metal football from opening match day next season Debs.

If you thing you've seen some great pressing action from us this season under Klopp just wait until you see us in August!

I believe Klopp will assemble a squad over the Summer capable of maintaining the high intensity pressing over a full season.

It will require a sizeable injection in to the squad I expect minimum 5/6 players but  he'll do it and bring in the exact quality we need.

His Dortmund faced a low block regularly.
      It is the ability to create over laps from the full backs which breaks down teams, you can see why he wants Clyne and Moreno to regularly get forward unfortunately for Moreno he is useless and for Clyne this side of the game does not come naturally.

They also had a midfield with players comfortable on the ball, able to turn and create defence into attack with devastating speed.
      We have a ponderous midfield and with Sturridge still not moving freely no pace in the forward line.

Are we sure about this though considering how many of our players will be away on International duty for most of pre season? 

Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #5115: Feb 29, 2016 02:46:49 pm
      Are we sure about this though considering how many of our players will be away on International duty for most of pre season?

Most of them will be but how many of them would be starters?! Skrtel and Lovren, yes! Studge if fit (although Kane and Vardy would be ahead if they continue their form) Hendo may be? Think Brazil play in the Olympics.

The likes of Lallana, Clyne, Milner, Sakho, Benteke (behind Lukaku and Origi) will probably spend more time in the bench than on the pitch.

Although, the scenario would be entirely different if we are to get gooooood players thi summer who actually are key to their current club and the national team in the Euros.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #5116: Feb 29, 2016 02:54:32 pm
      Most of them will be but how many of them would be starters?! Skrtel and Lovren, yes! Studge if fit (although Kane and Vardy would be ahead if they continue their form) Hendo may be? Think Brazil play in the Olympics.

The likes of Lallana, Clyne, Milner, Sakho, Benteke (behind Lukaku and Origi) will probably spend more time in the bench than on the pitch.

Although, the scenario would be entirely different if we are to get gooooood players thi summer who actually are key to their current club and the national team in the Euros.

I wasn't meaning they'll be playing in Internationals but that they won't be here having pre season training with Jürgen.

Migs, Clyne, Skrtel, Sakho, Lovren, Hendo, Allen, Can, Cou, Firmino, Studge, Benteke possibly Studge and Milner will miss all the pre season training sessions and will all come back late and most likely miss the start of the season as they get extra time off after major Internationals.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #5117: Feb 29, 2016 03:59:17 pm
      most of them players be fit when playing internationls in summer wont need pre season,when come back from their break 
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #5118: Feb 29, 2016 04:32:23 pm
      most of them players be fit when playing internationls in summer wont need pre season,when come back from their break 

They'll need Jürgen's pre-season, regardless of how fit they are.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #5119: Feb 29, 2016 04:38:22 pm
      They'll need Jürgen's pre-season, regardless of how fit they are.

Glad someone understood what I was getting at mate.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #5120: Feb 29, 2016 04:52:46 pm
      Did you see how animated Jürgen didn't get when we equalised? It was brilliant

You could see he wanted to jump and gesticulate wildly, but probably remembered he was at Wembley and so settled for a fist pump and bear hugging Firmino

I can imagine what might have happened had we won!
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,333 posts | 774 
      Reply #5121: Feb 29, 2016 05:10:28 pm
      Sorry but cannot help feeling disheartened, being so near to winning a trophy after 4 years. Think there has to be a massive revamp to the squad in time for next season.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #5122: Feb 29, 2016 06:22:59 pm
      Just looking at the dates for this summers footy tournaments and I've no idea where pre season will fit in.

Our last game is 15th May.

Europa League final 18th May.

FA Cup final 21st May.

CL final 28th May.

Copa America starts 3rd June and ends 26th June.

Euros start 10th June and ends 10th July.

Olympics start 5th August and ends 21st August.

Somewhere in the middle of that we're traveling to America for the "pre season" tour, no idea on those dates but it's doubtful many of our starting 11 will be amongst the squad.

Toure if he's still here, Lucas probably unless he gets called up, Hendo if he's not recovered from his injury, Studge maybe, Lallana probably, Milner again if he's still here.

Some who are selected for the Olympics like Cou and Firmino won't be back until well after the season starts and will have played in the Copa America too.

It's going to be tough for Jürgen to get the time he needs with the players.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #5123: Feb 29, 2016 06:26:07 pm
      Just looking at the dates for this summers footy tournaments and I've no idea where pre season will fit in.

FA Cup final 21st May.

CL final 28th May.

Somewhere in the middle of that we're traveling to America for the "pre season" tour, no idea on those dates but it's doubtful many of our starting 11 will be amongst the squad.

Toure if he's still here, Lucas probably unless he gets called up, Hendo if he's not recovered from his injury, Studge maybe, Lallana probably, Milner again if he's still here.

Some who are selected for the Olympics like Cou and Firmino won't be back until well after the season starts and will have played in the Copa America too.

All the more reason this huge clearout many seem to want doesn't happen.

Add three/four top quality players and keep the majority of this squad together.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #5124: Feb 29, 2016 06:34:28 pm

Add three/four top quality players and keep the majority of this squad together.

Have a feeling that is exactly what is going to happen Si.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #5125: Feb 29, 2016 06:35:26 pm

Europa League final 18th May.

FA Cup final 21st May.

CL final 28th May.

Ugh....looking at that schedule, I'm not getting too good of a feeling about this offseason. It always seems to be something......
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #5126: Feb 29, 2016 06:37:02 pm

It's a very hectic schedule Si and I agree with the numbers coming in. 

I guess we've already got one out of the three/four needed in Matip who thankfully representing Cameroon won't be disappearing for Internationals until next January/February, he's too old for the Olympics I think.

I still think there could be as many as 10 leaving but most of them are natural wastage due to contracts ending, I doubt we'll see many regular seniors going though.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #5127: Feb 29, 2016 06:38:18 pm
      Ugh....looking at that schedule, I'm not getting too good of a feeling about this offseason. It always seems to be something......

Same for all big clubs though FL...there is an inherent advantage to the smaller clubs as the farthest they are going to probably travel is Ireland or Scotland...any bigger club in the world is going on some type of tour.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #5128: Feb 29, 2016 06:41:02 pm

There's a major tournament every other summer mate but I agree we could really do without it this year.

Quick Reply