Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1528949 times
      evaluator
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 88 posts |
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #7130: May 03, 2016 05:40:55 pm
      End of May next year I'll make my full assessment mate but I'm guessing there'll still be plenty of ups and downs on the way.

It's interesting times for sure, good and bad. There have been a lot of players coming and going, signings turned to loans and on and on. Can't wait to see what's lined up for next season. I think it'll be memorable (hopefully positive)!
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #7131: May 03, 2016 06:01:59 pm
      It's interesting times for sure, good and bad. There have been a lot of players coming and going, signings turned to loans and on and on. Can't wait to see what's lined up for next season. I think it'll be memorable (hopefully positive)!

This season is already memorable. 

We've got one of the best Managers in Europe.

We've got an Unlawful Killing verdict for the 96, after a 27 year fight.

We're a game away from our first European Final for 9 years.

Maybe the momentous verdict in Warrington wasn't that important from a football success pov but to me it's no coincidence that we've failed to win the Title since the original, incorrect, accidental death verdicts in 1991. 

It's like we've been in limbo or under a cloud, unworthy of being League Champions due to the "Murderers" tag we'd been labelled with. 

Maybe I'm being overly melodramatic but it's a strong belief I've had for many years, just as I now have a strong belief that now that verdict's been reversed we can get back to being winners again. 

It's more than hope, I know it's going to happen and soon.
      evaluator
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 88 posts |
      Reply #7132: May 03, 2016 06:09:36 pm
      This season is already memorable. 

We've got one of the best Managers in Europe.

We've got an Unlawful Killing verdict for the 96, after a 27 year fight.

We're a game away from our first European Final for 9 years.

Maybe the momentous verdict in Warrington wasn't that important from a football success pov but to me it's no coincidence that we've failed to win the Title since the original, incorrect, accidental death verdicts in 1991. 

It's like we've been in limbo or under a cloud, unworthy of being League Champions due to the "Murderers" tag we'd been labelled with. 

Maybe I'm being overly melodramatic but it's a strong belief I've had for many years, just as I now have a strong belief that now that verdict's been reversed we can get back to being winners again. 

It's more than hope, I know it's going to happen and soon.

I was talking about next season. This season has been memorable for sure. I've had thoughts similar to you about the reversal in Hillsborough findings. Maybe this huge weight carried for 27 years will now be lifted and I can experience first hand the legendary Liverpool results I heard so much about from my coach as I was growing up.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #7133: May 03, 2016 06:14:05 pm
      Yes Saint.
      There were people seeking to drive TPM out of the club and Ill put myself head of the queue on that one.
      Whether I was right or wrong I dont give a monkeys.
      Im living in the now and for the future.

Never had a problem with anyone giving their opinion on a Liverpool manager mate, just as I have never had a problem giving my opinion on a Liverpool manager... mind you a few do sometimes try to to make it a problem.

Jürgen will live or die by what he wins for this club, not by whether I think he made a mistake.

People can make their own minds up in whatever time frame they wish, personally I will continue to give my opinion as and when I see fit, not to someone else's time frame.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #7134: May 03, 2016 06:19:45 pm
      I was talking about next season. This season has been memorable for sure. I've had thoughts similar to you about the reversal in Hillsborough findings. Maybe this huge weight carried for 27 years will now be lifted and I can experience first hand the legendary Liverpool results I heard so much about from my coach as I was growing up.

Like I said mate, I have no doubt those times are coming.  Maybe not in such dominant fashion due to the changes in the League but that Title is coming  ;D
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #7135: May 03, 2016 06:40:14 pm
      I'm sorry but this thing won't happen again in 2-3 decades.

Don't buy the idea that "money is the only route to success"? Yea its possible in sport that you can win things without much money,  but can you win things without money more consistently ?... No, you can't.

Anybody who even talks this is probably quite short sighted.

Well the fact is that it happened. And he "consistently " won enough games to win the league. Money is definitely the most important determining factor in professional sport but anyone who thinks it's the only route to success might as well pack up and go home.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #7136: May 03, 2016 06:48:21 pm
      Hindsight is wonderful, even Jürgen himself says he was surprised how little Villareal offered in terms of threat. When we're talking about a team that had conceded only one goal at home in the competition so far I just don't understand how overwhelmingly confident people are that Jürgen got it wrong.

I suspect he got it wrong by not bringing Sturridge on at halftime but not starting him, well I'm less convinced for a few reasons:

Firstly we had chances to score, we had Allen who should have scored with a glorious chance on 5 minutes, that goes in and the game/tie changes completely. Secondly we had Moreno clean through on a break which he should have done better with, people are quick to jump on his back for the goal we conceded (there were about 7 errors that led to that goal) but he almost did this himself. Firmino also hit the post and we had, as you say 15 shots. We didn't go there to only stifle them and had we come away with only 0-0 we'd have all been relatively happy.

What we heard after the match was quite hilarious, with Sturridge we'd have put the tie completely to bed, no need for them to bother flying over it would have been over. Which would be fine if we didn't then go and play the mighty Swansea with Sturridge and Coutinho in the side for Sturridge to be an almost non entity, he didn't win the game on his own against what most would agree are a much lesser team, we didn't annihilate them like we're told that one change would have done, no we got what people seem to forget is also in Sturridge's locker a game where he disappears.

He's become this ridiculous symbol that people seem to have lost all perspective on. It's at the point they're believing he can win the game on his own. Granted occasionally he does have that type of performance but they're few and far between even for him. It's a team game and Jürgen selects the team that can get the most out of a game, he's given everyone enough insight into how he works that people should realise that. Now Jürgen has us in the semi-finals and suddenly it's no, no, you're doing it all wrong Jürgen it's Sturridge again and again like a rod to beat him with. Had we listened to them earlier we may well already be out to Dortmund in the last away leg, had Origi not been butchered by that bluenose he may well have had his preferred choice up top but he made do and lost out to a last minute winner.

You can hear the teeth gnashing, you can hear the angst in people's posts, well if they truly are believers then they'll back the manager over Sturridge all day long. It's an easy choice for me and I can live with the consequences quite happily in the knowledge that we're in the right hands and Sturridge or not, Jürgen is making the call he thinks will give us the greatest chance of success.

You're making a circular argument - the same with Benteke.

Drop the striker from the big games and play him in the B side then, when his mentality and confidence is shot and he doesn't score you can point and say "oh look he didn't win the match".

What we know about Sturridge is that, handled properly he outscores all of our previous strikers in terms of goals per game (a statistic I know you're very keen on).

Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,658 posts | 487 
      Reply #7137: May 03, 2016 06:51:23 pm
      Well the fact is that it happened. And he "consistently " won enough games to win the league. Money is definitely teh most important determining factor in professional sport but anyone who thinks it's the only route to success might as well pack up and go home.
      See, you are twisting my words here to suit your arguement.

I said consistently win "things" i.e. trophies not matches. Is it hard to interpret?

And for the "pack up and go home" ... Not sure which "consistently" successful team exists that wins "trophies" , without putting a good amount of investment into their team. And i am talking about the big leagues.

Think this might be easy to interpret this time.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #7138: May 03, 2016 06:53:33 pm
      Never had a problem with anyone giving their opinion on a Liverpool manager mate, just as I have never had a problem giving my opinion on a Liverpool manager... mind you a few do sometimes try to to make it a problem.

Jürgen will live or die by what he wins for this club, not by whether I think he made a mistake.

People can make their own minds up in whatever time frame they wish, personally I will continue to give my opinion as and when I see fit, not to someone else's time frame.

Agreed mate .
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,648 posts | 3918 
      Reply #7139: May 03, 2016 07:10:13 pm
      Last 3 games have been tough to swallow but we just need this one win on Thursday to bring that feel good factor back :)
      « Last Edit: May 03, 2016 08:06:50 pm by LondonRed83 »
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #7140: May 03, 2016 07:33:20 pm
      We could almost say the same about those that criticise Mignolet mate :)

Haha

shooting fish.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #7141: May 03, 2016 08:19:23 pm
      "Mistakes" only matter if they hurt. In fact if they don't trip you up, then it's debateable whether or not they were even a mistake at all. Win 3-0 on Thursday and any debates about "mistakes", "Sturridge", "away goals" and all that stuff are consigned  to the dustbin. If we win 2-1 though, the debate such as it is will no doubt rage on.

My personal feeling was it was understandable to field the team we did in the first place. Once though it became apparent that we were plenty good enough to score a goal, and that Firmino was having one of his "off" days, I would have brought a striker on. Now I know I'm in a minority of one when I say I'd have had no complaints were it Sturridge OR Benteke, but I would certainly have brought one or the other on.

Now obviously that doesn't mean I'm sharpening a knife for Jürgen, nor does it mean I think I know more about football than him. Neither obviously does it mean either of our proper strikers actually would have scored a goal, nobody can be sure about that. It's just that in my opinion it would have been more likely.

Now obviously we all hope Thursdays result renders the whole thing irrelevant in any case. I must say though that I'm surprised some posters are attempting to drown out people's opinions on such things by shouting them down, calling them impatient, whingers or inviting them to study history. It's hardly beating Jürgen up to suggest we might have been better off playing a real striker.

Hopefully the forum doesn't get all silly to the point where the thought police shut down all opinions which differ from their own. I'll be giving it a wide berth if it does (so there's encouragement for everyone to make it exactly like that I guess!).
      « Last Edit: May 03, 2016 08:39:49 pm by bigmick »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #7142: May 03, 2016 08:20:42 pm
      Wouldn't be our best scorer if he had sat on the bench for the big games either mate. :)

I think people are trying to make too much of it imo. No one is saying Klopp is crap, no one is calling for his head.

You'd have to be brain dead or worse (a Manc supporter) to call for his head.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #7143: May 03, 2016 08:34:17 pm
      "Mistakes" only matter if they hurt. In fact if they don't trip you up, then it's debate able whether or not they were even a mistake at all. Win 3-0 on Thursday and any debates about "mistakes", Sturridge, away goals and all that stuff are consigned  to the dustbin. If we win 2-1 though, the debate such as it is will no doubt rage on.

My personal feeling was it was understandable to field the team we did in the first place. Once though it became apparent that we were plenty good enough to score a goal, and that Firmino was having one of his "off" days, I would have brought a striker on. Now I know I'm in a minority of one when I say I'd have had no complaints were it Sturridge OR Benteke, but I would certainly have brought one or the other on.

Now obviously that doesn't mean I'm sharpening a knife for Jürgen, nor does it mean I think I know more about football than him. Neither obviously does it mean either of our proper strikers actually would have scored a goal, nobody can be sure about that. It's just that in my opinion it would have been more likely.

Now obviously we all hope Thursdays result renders the whole thing irrelevant in any case. I must say though that I'm surprised some posters are attempting to drown out people's opinions on such things by shouting them down, calling them impatient, whingers or inviting them to study history. It'seems hardly beating Jürgen up to suggest we might have been better off playing a real striker.

Hopefully the forum doesn't get all silly to the point where the thought police shut down opinions which differ from their own. I'l'll be giving it a wide berth if it does (so there's encouragement for everyone to make it exactly like that I guess!).

Spot on mate.

It's still in our own hands and it's what we do in the next game that will decide if we go through or not. No one will care what mistakes we made in the first leg or who made them if/when we go through.

Doesn't mean we won't all still have opinions on what team we should pick or how we should play or whether we should play a different formation.

Jürgen will take no notice if I prefer 4-4-2 anyway.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #7144: May 03, 2016 08:50:41 pm
      If he knew the result then like he does now he probably would have brought him in, he was tactics were pragmatic in playing for an away draw against a Spanish squad we have never faced along with missing a 2 starting mid-fielders and a starting CB.

It worked for 91 minutes...if it ended 0-0 nobody would be saying anything but draw away from home, batter them at home.

If he had to do it over again maybe it would be done different but I think the plan for the match was correct.

There were plenty people saying about the change at half time mate, so even if we had drawn 0-0 plenty would still have thought we missed an opportunity over there.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #7145: May 03, 2016 08:55:18 pm
      Forgive my stooopidity but what the fook does TMP stand for?
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,428 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #7146: May 03, 2016 08:55:55 pm
      It's like being the school playground again reading some of this
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #7147: May 03, 2016 08:57:22 pm
      There were plenty people saying about the change at half time mate, so even if we had drawn 0-0 plenty would still have thought we missed an opportunity over there.

I think that's the thing S@int. It's not like it's with the benefit of hindsight, although obviously had the game finished 0-0 there would be much less scope for the the lack of an away goal to bite us in the @rse. As it is our @rse is dangling over a shark infested pool with the picture of a half eaten T-bone (cooked very rare) steak on it.

Anyway as I've said hopefully it matters not a sh!te anyway. Just like us throwing the towel in in the league, if we win the Europa League none of us will give a bollocks. If we don't, there will be those who will say maybe it wasn't such a cool idea after all. Like I say, only decisions which hurt you in the end make any difference.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #7148: May 03, 2016 08:58:30 pm
      Forgive my stooopidity but what the fook does TMP stand for?

Gawd knows Scott. "TPM" is the previous manager, but I've no idea what yours is  ;D.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #7149: May 03, 2016 09:01:36 pm
      Gawd knows Scott. "TPM" is the previous manager, but I've no idea what yours is  ;D.

That's what I meant! I suppose it's four less letters but that seems pretty stoopid to me, think I'll go the whole hog and say Brendan and burn those extra calories.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,210 posts | 8569 
      Reply #7150: May 03, 2016 09:02:08 pm
      It's like being the school playground again reading some of this

I think nerves are getting to some already ahead of Thursday night.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #7151: May 03, 2016 09:02:33 pm
      That's what I meant! I suppose it's four less letters but that seems pretty stoopid to me, think I'll go the whole hog and say Brendan and burn those extra calories.

Haha you go for it mate.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #7152: May 03, 2016 09:10:53 pm
      I think nerves are getting to some already ahead of Thursday night.

You might be right, it's definitely not the case with me though. To be perfectly honest after pretty much feeling on a personal level distant from most of the Hillsborough stuff for all these years despite obviously reading up on it, being sickened by what happened and the aftermath etc I don't think I've ever been more moved by something on the news than I have been by it over the last few days. I'm having extreme trouble getting up for football of any description, including our own matches which is a first for me. I didn't watch the game at the weekend, could barely get interested in the highlights as I already knew the result and had a small holiday from posting on the forum.

I know for many people who were closer both literally and metaphorically than I am it's something they have come to terms with over many years, but the absolute mega scale of the sheer tragedy, the injustice of it all has knocked me a bit to tell the truth.

I absolutely hope we win on Thursday and win the Europa league. I can't though hand on heart work out whether it's the same passion for the club which is making me think that this time as other times, or whether I just want the people connected with it to have some f****** good news for a change. I'm not "nervous" at all though, at the end of the tie the ref will blow the final whistle and everyone will go home, it's just a game. 

Quick Reply