Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 5th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W2 D1 L0

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1555601 times
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #8234: May 26, 2016 12:07:56 pm
      So I'm a hypocrite and you're consistent, let's examine that:

If you truly believe Jürgen to be a World Class manager

I most certainly do, you claim you do too.

if you are truly as excited about the new signings as you say you are

Excited in the sense that I trust Jürgen's judgement as I hardly know them so if you wish to call that excited then go right ahead, but in that case you are also?

if you truly believe we would have finished much higher in the league if we'd have concentrated on it

Both you and I agree here.

if you truly believe that playing so many matches was a valid reason we struggled last season

I thought the injuries were more a reason to be honest, but I'm happy to compromise here and agree both were valid reasons as we've discussed and agreed before.

then surely it follows that you expect us to do significantly better in the league next time around?

Which we've both agreed should happen but overhauling the big boys might be a more difficult task next season so seeing us improve will probably only coincide with others improving also, which we've agreed on.

This is particularly the case if that "bedding in" period which we afforded Jürgen is needed by the new managers at the other big clubs who have changed.

So which is it Mick will we challenge for the title or wont we? You've previously (and later in this post) said we wont and a top 4 challenge is what we should expect, as we've agreed.

I really can't understand the reluctance on the part of some to get "excited" and "positive" and all those other words they use to put other posters down all the time.

This is an odd one Mick because I thought you were feeling positive and excited moving forward also? All I was saying is I wont allow the negativity to drag me down, something surely you agree with? As for if I am positive and excited, damn right I am, I clearly believe we're on the right track to number 19, I just don't need to shorten the length of that track to satisfy others. I was under no illusion to the size of the task when Jürgen arrived.

Me? Almost all of the first paragraph sums up exactly how I feel, EXCEPT, I don't think it's reasonable to expect a title challenge without signing PROVEN top quality players, particularly since that's exactly what everyone else will be doing. Hence I think a top four "challenge" will be a pretty good effort (and providing we get that, even if we finish 6th or something I think it's fair enough).

Right a little less optimistic than my stance, I'm expecting a top 4 finish or extremely close, I don't think 6th or something would be fair, so I have higher expectations than you. Glad we've established we almost agree on all your points.

The daft thing is for my views you want to use the word hypocrite and set out this check list to demonstrate that but for your own you want to suggest you're being consistent, when in fact you demonstrate the only true hypocrisy that exists here is the standard you judge yourself and others on.

Hope this clears up the definition of hypocrisy for you and how it is actually being ironically misused.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #8235: May 26, 2016 12:30:10 pm
      Good post Luke. In fairness me and you aren't that far apart in this little snapshot, you're right. I think it's fair to say that despite us both agreeing on Jürgen being a top manager, I am less convinced than you that by spending peanuts (which so far we have) he will be able to get us right up there. If of course between now and the start of the season we sign a couple of absolutely established top players, I'd be in with S@int looking for a title challenge. As it is I expect us t climb over West Ham, Southampton and Leicester given they are in Europe, but that still only gets us fifth.

I can't get away from feeling a little frustrated with the way things are panning out to be totally honest. Jürgen has successfully built an excellent team in Germany by spending bugger all, but this ain't Germany. There, when you're buying players for 3 million quid, so is everyone else apart from Bayern Munich. Here, it ain't like that. Here, teams spend 100 million quid in a window and pay 20 million quid a year to their signings. I hav the distinct feeling that we are going to end up two years on from now, still 5th or 6th and then Jürgen will tell us he needs top players. Let's f*** off the two year waiting period here and now and buy some bloody top players.

As it is, the new manager is now discovering what it's like to be our boss. Each time you try and buy a player, we f*** about so much that it doesn't happen. We didn't get Texeira, we may not get Goetze, it now appears we may not get Zeilinski either.

So no I'm not excited about signing 20 year old kids from Red Star Belgrade, not for this season anyway. And I do think it's legitimate to ask, if things are sooooooo much better than they were previously, then why aren't our expectations soooooo much higher too?
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #8236: May 26, 2016 01:10:52 pm
      As it is, the new manager is now discovering what it's like to be our boss. Each time you try and buy a player, we f*** about so much that it doesn't happen. We didn't get Texeira, we may not get Goetze, it now appears we may not get Zeilinski either.

I disagree with this Mick. Firstly I think with Teixeira it was Jürgen who pulled the plug, granted if we had a bigger budget it would have been easier to continue with transfer at a fee he thought wasn't 'value' but we understand that we have owners who apply limits to our budget and until that changes then there will always need to be a choice. Jürgen made that choice to stop, which is different from the past.

In the case of Gotze I think it's his Dad having a word in his ear, by all accounts we threw the kitchen sink at this one, willing to go above and beyond any rival offer, we can ask no more of the owners than that. Much like you I can't stand the owners but I think it would be unfair to criticise on this occasion (it's valid on most others :lmao: )

Zeilinski I've not heard enough from reliable people to make a judgement.

And I do think it's legitimate to ask, if things are sooooooo much better than they were previously, then why aren't our expectations soooooo much higher too?

I'll explain from my point of view Mick:

This is Jürgen's first year with his new signings, I know people are suggesting he's had a long bedding in period and it should smooth the transition of new players but I believe the cuts will be deeper and further reaching than many seem to be suggesting. If he is to change just 1 or 2 of the starting XI then this will be less of a case but I believe it will be 4 or 5 and with that a vastly different bench. So to be fair to Jürgen I'm judging this as his first 'proper' season and in that case I don't think expecting consistency, which a title challenge requires, would be fair. I'm prepared to afford him the occasional hiccup, of course I hope to challenge but I try to keep hope and expectations separate.

It's also due to the fact that of the teams already above us will strengthen on numerous fronts.

Arsenal: They've spent well already, about time Wenger loosened the purse strings, when he does he doesn't generally get too many of the big signings wrong.

Man City: I think Guardiola, as we all expect, will spend massively on 'proven talent', money we simply can't compete with and therefore it would be harsh to expect our 'bargain basement' buys to reach that level immediately. Jürgen needs a chance to turn these less obvious talents into the world beaters, he doesn't do that simply by buying them he needs time to coach them. When considering City you must also understand they start ahead of us and their players clearly weren't performing to their best at the end of Pelligrini's time, you'd expect Guardiola to get much more out of what is already there too.

Man United: Mourinho is a c**t but he also has a track record of buying the best and winning, so that will probably continue. They were a mess under LvG and Maureen will hopefully leave them in a mess he seems to leave clubs in but to expect that we can compete with a team likely to spend £200m is a tough ask when we're starting from behind them also.

Spurs: A team definitely going places, I rate their manager very highly indeed, while he's not right now considered one of the top managers in the world I think time will tell he is making his way up that ladder very quickly. They should not be underestimated at all. Starting behind them is also a tough task to overhaul.

Chelsea: I'd expect to stay ahead of Chelsea.

West Ham: I think they've done very well, I'd expect to pass them but wouldn't underestimate what Bilic is doing there and they are most certainly emerging as a threat to the top 4.

Southampton: I think we'll pass them without issue.

Leicester: I think will find themselves back in the pack this season, it feels like everyone is underestimating their challenge next season which has me a little suspicious but hey I'll go along with that. I think this season was the perfect storm, they'll no longer have teams approaching games against them as they did this year (much like Kopite78 explained) and they'll struggle with the extra games, so we'll pass them.

Which means realistically we're 5th but with Jürgen I think we will progress quicker than the others but even with Jürgen it takes time to gel and polish the edges. From my personal perspective he gets as long as it takes because I know he'll get it right soon enough and I'm going to enjoy that journey but from an expectation standpoint 4th or above would be an excellent next step any higher and he's exceeding my expectations, that simple really.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,433 posts | 6423 
      Reply #8237: May 26, 2016 01:56:05 pm

She's doing it wrong. With that grip,  there's no way she's going to put a proper edge on that knife.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #8238: May 26, 2016 02:00:48 pm
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,433 posts | 6423 
      Reply #8239: May 26, 2016 02:01:32 pm
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #8240: May 26, 2016 02:44:37 pm
      She's doing it wrong. With that grip,  there's no way she's going to put a proper edge on that knife.

If all else fails, can use the sharpening steel to bludgeon with.  Though I'm not an expert, for more details check with the anti-BR-and-his-white-teeth crew...
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #8241: May 26, 2016 03:18:14 pm
      If all else fails, can use the sharpening steel to bludgeon with.  Though I'm not an expert, for more details check with the anti-BR-and-his-white-teeth crew...

:D :lmao:
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #8242: May 26, 2016 03:19:09 pm
      Not seen so many pussies in one place since I watched Game of Thrones (I've led a sheltered life)

Excuses...excuses!

We have a good core of players. We have a World Class Manager. We have money. We will have a bigger ground to create a more intimidating atmosphere (occasionally). We have most of the other top sides in disarray with NEW managers who I am pretty sure will also be buying new players. 

I expect a title challenge, if we don't get one we just get up and try again, but I think we should be expecting at least a challenge and if luck is on our side for a change maybe even more.

Yes, I think we need some top quality signings but I am sure Klopp does too. Why am I so sure ? Because Klopp is a World class manager not an idiot. (NOT CALLING ANYONE ON HERE AN IDIOT)

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #8243: May 26, 2016 03:22:26 pm
      Not seen so many pussies in one place since I watched Game of Thrones (I've led a sheltered life)

Not seen as many the past couple of seasons :(

Although Petyr Baelish is a walking, talking one to be fair.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #8244: May 26, 2016 03:35:38 pm

Excuses...excuses!

We have a good core of players. We have a World Class Manager. We have money. We will have a bigger ground to create a more intimidating atmosphere (occasionally). We have most of the other top sides in disarray with NEW managers who I am pretty sure will also be buying new players. 

I expect a title challenge, if we don't get one we just get up and try again, but I think we should be expecting at least a challenge and if luck is on our side for a change maybe even more.

Yes, I think we need some top quality signings but I am sure Klopp does too. Why am I so sure ? Because Klopp is a World class manager not an idiot. (NOT CALLING ANYONE ON HERE AN IDIOT)

Does make you wonder a bit. Even Rodgers (what a disaster he was) got us into sixth in his terrible final season, the one where he had Ricky Lambert and Mario Balotelli playing up top. The thing is, when he said that was just about "PAR" I believed the bugger! Now of course things have "massively improved" in every department, we don't have any European football and yet people are predicting a similar finish. It is a little odd when you think about it.

Luckily for me of course in the "as I said all along/I'm not a hypocrite" stakes, because I believed him when he said 6th was PAR, and because I didn't go along with the theory that it was an "absolute disaster" to finish there, I don't think it would be an absolute disaster to finish there next season either. 5th or 6th is again my PAR judgement, unless we start signing some proven players. Then it might climb a touch higher.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4596 
      Reply #8245: May 26, 2016 03:46:01 pm
      2 finals without spending is way beyond 'par' and proves the point that once Klopp has recruited his men with his winning mentality then we are in for a stormer....

How can you say spending £300million is F***ing 'par'...

I have no doubt in my mind the league next season is what Klopp will make an assault on & I would not bet against him winning it....
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #8246: May 26, 2016 03:46:55 pm
      Does make you wonder a bit. Even Rodgers (what a disaster he was) got us into sixth in his terrible final season, the one where he had Ricky Lambert and Mario Balotelli playing up top. The thing is, when he said that was just about "PAR" I believed the bugger! Now of course things have "massively improved" in every department, we don't have any European football and yet people are predicting a similar finish. It is a little odd when you think about it.

Luckily for me of course in the "as I said all along/I'm not a hypocrite" stakes, because I believed him when he said 6th was PAR, and because I didn't go along with the theory that it was an "absolute disaster" to finish there, I don't think it would be an absolute disaster to finish there next season either. 5th or 6th is again my PAR judgement, unless we start signing some proven players. Then it might climb a touch higher.

... really?

There's a massive difference between first year of your project and your 3rd after spending a bucket load of money, I'd have thought that obvious. Judging one against the other is neither fair nor consistent. It's not hypocrisy to judge both differently, it is that they are different they should be judged differently.

By the time Jürgen gets to his 3rd (proper) season then I will be disgusted with him if he comes out and suggests 6th would be par, this is not a difficult concept to grasp.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,349 posts | 4968 
      Reply #8247: May 26, 2016 03:48:07 pm
      There seems to be a lot of squirming and sand-shifting already on here.

People who say they are positive and yet aren't expecting much next season obviously don't hold Klopp in high regard they make out.

I mean, if you read the Mignolet thread or more aptly the Karius he's going to save us 15-20 pts already next season in some eyes.

Then, we have the fact that similar to Rodgers' 'nearly season' we have no European football, plus the added bonus of a better manager and a 'world class' one at that. Then I'm not surprised to see or hear people saying we should have a right old ding dong in the league next season.

Klopp has said many times that he's happy with the players here so he may only need to add a frittered bit of quality here or there. So, the bedding-in excuse could be a bit thin (depending on the transfers), if he's tweaking the team with higher caliber players here and there and not overhauling it with a majority then the excuses won't rinse, never mind wash.

He's had 3 quarters of a season, basically an entire league campaign that gave him a free pass - in other words it was written off so he could be accustomed to the squad and the state of play in England.

3 quarters of a season, a keeper who is going to save us 15 - 20 pts, no European football, a world class manager and perhaps no overhaul of the team with added quality in a few key positions,,,, I can see why people would like to see a title challenge.

I'm a bit more patient, even after the disappointment of putting all our eggs into the cup campaigns with F**k All to show for it, I would expect us, at the very least make top 4 next season. And I think it would be fair to say that if we finished out of the top four in the event of making it back into European's big time, then that would be a FAIL in my eyes, and then, his third season will be reaching Brendan territory...

Agree mate.

I expect to be challenging to win the league next season.

Simple as that.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #8248: May 26, 2016 03:49:45 pm
      Agree mate.

Simple as that.

You also did this season at one stage though too Si, as did many others to be fair. Looking back do you think that was a realistic expectation?
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,740 posts | 7171 
      Reply #8249: May 26, 2016 03:51:16 pm
      We will not win the league with this squad too many players disappear up their collective arses when the going gets tough. Not sure about our new goalkeeper is he our new number one or just competition for Simon ....sounds familiar that doesn't it.
      I think we have a real Gem in young Origi he could be awesome next season and such a good player to have away from home.
      We need to score more goals and concede fewer its as simple as that. Jürgen will get it right and I think if he isn't given the support he demands and thinks is necessary he will not stand for it. He isn't a big spender is he so that should please the bankers in Boston.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #8250: May 26, 2016 03:55:25 pm
      You also did this season at one stage though too Si, as did many others to be fair. Looking back do you think that was a realistic expectation?

I was one who thought we could challenge. Looking back, i don't think i was being overly optimistic either.

Reason being we were i think 7-8 points off at one point? I thought maybe Jürgen could steady the ship with all the teams around us off the boil and maybe adding one or two in January to give us a push. Top four at the very least so to finish where we did was majorly disappointing. Given the cup runs i can excuse it even though we should've been playing for both had we not slipped up against Southampton and Newcaslte to name just two games.

If i thought we could catch up 8 points with one or two players, i certainly think we could push for it with a whole window for Jürgen to sort it out.

Even with other teams firing, hiring and signing, i think top four is the minimum for us to achieve this season. We have no excuses, really.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #8251: May 26, 2016 03:56:43 pm
      Agree mate.

Simple as that.

I am pretty sure Jürgen would agree with you mate.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,349 posts | 4968 
      Reply #8252: May 26, 2016 04:02:28 pm

I probably set me expectations a little high Luke considering it was a new manager coming in after the season had started, in a new league and with injuries and four competitions to deal with.

But next season Jürgen has had his 'pre season' and I fully expect a title challenge.

You hire a Jürgen Klopp to make your players better and also attract players you may not previously have got and I think this team should be challenging under his coaching.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #8253: May 26, 2016 04:03:51 pm
      I was one who thought we could challenge. Looking back, i don't think i was being overly optimistic either.

Reason being we were i think 7-8 points off at one point? I thought maybe Jürgen could steady the ship with all the teams around us off the boil and maybe adding one or two in January to give us a push. Top four at the very least so to finish where we did was majorly disappointing. Given the cup runs i can excuse it even though we should've been playing for both had we not slipped up against Southampton and Newcaslte to name just two games.

If i thought we could catch up 8 points with one or two players, i certainly think we could push for it with a whole window for Jürgen to sort it out.

Even with other teams firing, hiring and signing, i think top four is the minimum for us to achieve this season. We have no excuses, really.

Fair enough mate, I think there'll just be too many hiccups along the way to maintain that consistency you need. Hope you're right.

I am pretty sure Jürgen would agree with you mate.

I'd love to know S@int, his private thoughts rather than those he'd release to the media. I mean after all he's already stuck his colours to the mast in giving himself 4 years to deliver. Given that we have had to wait so long I would have thought that was only a small amount of patience to ask for.

We'll never find out but I'd bet against you on this one.

Could put this another way, on our nearly season we had the best player in the world, Sturridge fully fit for an entire season, Sterling having the season that had him proclaimed as the best young talent in the whole of Europe and Steven Gerrard playing the best footy he'd played for a long time.

We still never won it then, that's one hell of a jump to make from where we are now.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #8254: May 26, 2016 04:05:12 pm
      I probably set me expectations a little high Luke considering it was a new manager coming in after the season had started, in a new league and with injuries and four competitions to deal with.

But next season Jürgen has had his 'pre season' and I fully expect a title challenge.

You hire a Jürgen Klopp to make your players better and also attract players you may not previously have got and I think this team should be challenging under his coaching.

Fair enough and very honest of you as ever.

Maybe I am being too pessimistic, I just think we're a year away from being right in the mix, as with Crouchy I hope you're right mate.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #8255: May 26, 2016 04:09:29 pm

We were 6 points off top spot when Jürgen took over

we were 9 points off top spot at New year - 5 points off top 4

we were 19 points off top by March after a terrible January,  but still only 9 points off top 4 (with a game in hand)
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #8256: May 26, 2016 04:13:51 pm

Excuses...excuses!

Think you've been watching Braveheart too saint ?

Not even a smiley after calling us pussies :)

Still think a challenge for top spot will be difficult. Would like one obviously. But need a lot to go right for that to happen. Going from 8th to top4 would be solid progress imo. If we do challenge though, you will see this pussy roar ...

Quick Reply