Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1528766 times
      Kopite78
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #4646: Feb 13, 2016 06:24:30 am

Mm

Do I understand moneyball?

Well to be honest lad I'm not willing to get into it with someone who doesn't understand the concept or importance of Liverpool football club getting beat 6-1

Get your head around that issue before you worry yourself with anything else if I were you poppet
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #4647: Feb 13, 2016 08:44:00 am
      I stand by what I've been saying for the past few weeks on here though. I'm disappointed at how we've performed under Jürgen so far. Its irrelevant to me that these players aren't his or that we've suffered with some injuries either because I expect a world class manager to organise us much better than what he has but we're still watching the same old chaos week in week out. Some games we have been truly abysmal.

I believe that even at our best under Rogers we were still an abysmal team. It was just that we had a world class strike force; a group of players that performed unbelievably well together. The group of Suarez/Sturridge/Coutinho/Sterling, which was able to strike with guile,speed,precision and in the case of Luis Suarez; an audacity and will to win. A group that had an excellent understanding of each other..... Our Goalkeeper,Defense and Midfield were then; and remains mediocre it was just that our strike force deflected from that...
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #4648: Feb 13, 2016 09:51:47 am
      Jürgen Klopp admits he has no magic formula to change Liverpool’s fortunes

Andy Hunter

Friday 12 February 2016 22.30 GMT

Jürgen Klopp has said he took the Liverpool job because it was the right one, not the easiest one, and that it would need David Copperfield to conjure an immediate transformation at Anfield.

Liverpool head to bottom-of-the-table Aston Villa on Sunday in ninth position having taken five points from a possible 18 in 2016 and with hopes of a second Wembley appearance this season dashed by West Ham United in the FA Cup on Tuesday.  Klopp has had to navigate a way through a demanding fixture schedule with an extensive injury list, guiding Liverpool to the League Cup final in the process, and call for compromise between the owner, Fenway Sports Group, and supporters over the ticket price controversy.

He insists, however, that Liverpool have held no surprises since he replaced Brendan Rodgers as manager in October and his early experiences will prove invaluable for the future.

“I think everyone knows there would have been a few easier jobs but I am not this kind of guy,” said Klopp.  “I was always ready for the right job in the right situation where you can make a difference. To change things you need time.  Liverpool is not in the most easy moment but I am not surprised.  We could have had six points more, no problem. It is not too far away.  That is how football is.

“A few things hadn’t worked – otherwise they would not have changed the manager – then you have an international break, injuries, re-injuries, and because of this other players are having to play.  I am not David Copperfield.  It is not about making things change and everything is OK.  It is about work.  I feel completely in the right place.  I feel good, I like to work and I am still learning about everything.

“Of course I am disappointed with a few results and performances but I am positive and surprised by a few other performances.  The players have shown me what is possible, sometimes for the team, sometimes for the individual.

“If it was easy, everyone could do it.  That is clear.  I never chose my jobs.  The first job they gave me at Mainz because it was better than having me as a player!  I am strong enough to handle pressure for a lot of people around me.  I am not in doubt about my qualities as a manager.  I know about the game and the importance of working together.  That’s it.

“Nobody wants to hear this.  Everyone just wants to have results.  That is no problem.  We are not in a perfect position but we are in a good way.  I have no problem getting a few knocks and having a few beautiful moments along the way.   We are preparing for the future.”

Klopp’s confidence has been helped in the present by the return of Philippe Coutinho, Daniel Sturridge and Divock Origi from injury.  But before Christian Benteke’s return to Villa for the first time since his £32.5m transfer to Liverpool, the manager admits the striker’s self-belief has been affected by problems in front of goal.  Benteke has not scored in 11 appearances for Liverpool, with his last goal coming at Sunderland on 30 December.

“In parts it was much better at West Ham because he was in a lot of situations,” added Klopp.  “He had opportunities and he was reacting on the ball and had opportunities after set pieces. He was safer with the ball, but when you miss a chance it is not like it would be usually because you are thinking: ‘Still it didn’t change.’

“Of course in the end you will lose confidence or you will be a very silly person if something doesn’t work all the time like you are used to and you don’t.  He is waiting for all his skills to come back but we speak about it like it is an illness.  It is not.  It is a situation and you can solve the problem on the pitch or in training or both.”

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/feb/12/Jürgen-klopp-liverpool-aston-villa?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #4649: Feb 13, 2016 09:57:50 am
      It kind of reinforces the idea that this season is a get to know the players and the league and any success will be a huge bonus.
      What is interesting is that the performance of the team rarely differs regardless of the players picked.
      Just hope we turn up at Wembley to give the paying fans a day out and a smile.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #4650: Feb 13, 2016 10:03:08 am
      It kind of reinforces the idea that this season is a get to know the players and the league and any success will be a huge bonus.
      What is interesting is that the performance of the team rarely differs regardless of the players picked.
      Just hope we turn up at Wembley to give the paying fans a day out and a smile.

I would suggest the performances are considerably better when the so called second stringers are picked.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,419 posts | 3414 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #4651: Feb 13, 2016 10:03:34 am
      Jürgen's honesty is so refreshing, no spin, no bullshit, says it as he sees it..
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #4652: Feb 13, 2016 10:10:24 am
      I would suggest the performances are considerably better when the so called second stringers are picked.

that then reflects badly on the so called "1st team". It also seems that attitude is also a problem with some of our players and judging by our poor defensive displays from free kicks and corners some of them are not learning the lesson they are being taught at Melwood
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3953 
      Reply #4653: Feb 13, 2016 11:30:09 am
      Jürgen Klopp has warned LFC supporters ''he is no David Copperfield'' and has no magic formula to change the club's fortunes.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/feb/12/Jürgen-klopp-liverpool-aston-villa?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #4654: Feb 13, 2016 12:47:01 pm
      I don't like to see us lose full stop. Granted, there was nothing to play for but still being humiliated like that shouldn't be dismissed as immaterial. After all, the least amount of importance you could give that game is that it was Gerrard's final game, and seeing a legend being waved off like that is totally disheartening.

However, that fella you're debating with, is trying to imply that our games since the turn of the year, or at least the performances in many of them are fantastic and much improvement has been made.  :lmao: He's only kidding himself and a few others on here. Nobody with any 'footballing knowledge' actually agrees with that - and the people who plussed him, deep down know this too.

They're just so entrenched in their views that Rodgers had to go (which was right he did), but simultaneously proclaimed (this is where they're wrong though and they constantly shift the goal posts - hence people now see how hypocritical they are), Klopp would immediately get this team/squad playing to a level much better than Rodgers did, which as we can now see is totally wide of the mark.

Posters like the bloke you're talking to and a few of the other protected species on here cannot handle that our team performances and results have been just AS bad, if not worse than what we saw under Rodgers. They're frustrated that they cannot come wading in here with their size 9's saying 'I told you so', in regards to Klopp having an immediate upturn in performances and results. Even though this situation would have blown their own egos and self-importance up to the size of the Epcot Centre, I wish for the good of the club they'd have been bloody right. However, instead of acting mature and saying 'yes, our performances haven't been as good, and Klopp is still struggling to get anything more out of them than Rodgers did at this present moment in time' they play all this other BS instead.

I mean, they tried to brush performances and results aside with all this 'celebrity manager' talk. We're getting a beaten by f**king Watford and these fannies are telling us 'how great is it that he's so honest'!, 'He's so funny', 'Oh, I love how he handles the press,'  like little girls hanging off his every word. They're ignoring the fact we're being humiliated by newly promoted sides and are given tough games by relegation fodder because their too busy batting their eyelids at the manager's press conferences.

Then, in the meantime though, they're happy to deride players at the drop of a hat, happy to use fixture congestion as problematic (which I remember vividly, Rodgers got absolutely slaughtered for when he said there was less prep time with European football added into midweek schedules), they're happy to use injuries (which to be fair, is probably their only genuine excuse). They're happy to vent and critisise anywhere else apart from the manager who I will reiterate again GAVE MIGNOLET A 5 YEAR CONTRACT! I'm surprised Mignolet didn't get blamed for giving himself a contract extension, so as to avoid pointing the finger at Klopp, such is the sh*t I've read on here. 

Next thing I expect to hear (which I found a little surprising coming from Klopp) is that they'll to say it's too windy and cold in England for our manager to bed-in.

Too harsh mate. I am not saying you are wrong, because I do think you are right, but you need to soften the message as it gets lost in the vitriol.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,011 posts | 3352 
      Reply #4655: Feb 13, 2016 01:22:53 pm
      Nobody can deny we've been anything but poor, by and large, since Jürgen came in. We've had the odd glimpse of quality and at times looked as good as we did in 13/14. But then there's been times where we've looked as bad as we did under Souness and Hodgson. I don't blame it solely on Jürgen because I think the poor sod was left one very subpar squad. And the ones who have looked lively this season have been injured for the most part, if not all, of his tenure.

Where I will blame the manager though is he's persisting with tactics and players that clearly aren't working. Injuries have hampered him but only to some extent. He still persists with Mignolet, Moreno, Sakho, Can, Lallana etc etc. Rather than giving the youngsters who've impressed a go, he's doing what every manager before him does and stuck with the tried and tested experienced players who've got us in this mess in the first place.

We are in a Cup final, and I for one am F***ing desperate we win it because there's no greater feeling than seeing us lift trophies. Is it a successful season if we win the League Cup? No. It's a successful League Cup campaign. But we can't let that paper over the cracks that the majority of this squad isn't good enough for Liverpool Football Club. Be honest with yourself, how many of this current side would get into your best Liverpool XI of the last 5 years. Truthfully, I say two at most.

There's a likeable factor about Jürgen though. His honesty is refreshing in a sport filled with blinded bollocks. His enthusiasm is infectious, certainly to fans. His past record gives him a lot of weight to say give him time. One of our failings as a club for the past 20 years has been the demand for instant success.

Results will though dictate the length of his time as Liverpool manager. If they don't improve, all of Klopp's good points will count for nothing.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #4656: Feb 13, 2016 01:32:55 pm
      Too harsh mate. I am not saying you are wrong, because I do think you are right, but you need to soften the message as it gets lost in the vitriol.

Ah F**k off, what happened to calling a spade a spade?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #4657: Feb 13, 2016 01:49:06 pm
      Ah f**k off, what happened to calling a spade a spade?

Nothing wrong with that either mate, but neither is there anything wrong in having a more optimistic view of Klopp's reign so far.

I don't think he has done as well as I expected so far and I didn't have high expectations with this squad, but if others wish to believe we are doing great ... that's up to them, it doesn't mean they know nothing about football :) and in all honesty after Brendan's painful interviews Klopp's are like a breath of fresh air.

As I have said before, imo I think Klopp has only made two bad mistakes so far.... not buying in the transfer window and giving Mignolet a 5 year contract.

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #4658: Feb 13, 2016 01:53:06 pm
      but if others wish to believe we are doing great ... that's up to them, it doesn't mean they know nothing about football 

It does, if they actually believe it.

Like I said, spade a spade.
      viniciusgama1
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 589 posts | 11 
      Reply #4659: Feb 13, 2016 01:55:13 pm
      The Stoke game again!!

Someday people will realise that game was about as meaningful to us as a post season friendly in Albania. There was nothing at stake, no cups, no Europe. It made no difference whether we won 6-1 or lost 1-6. It made no difference whether we won 1-0 or drew 3-3. The result and scoreline was totally immaterial, and there was no consequences for it.

Dude, what?

I am a Brazilian and we were trashed, playing Home. 7-1 to Germany, the worst loss on a football pitch ever, since, well, Brazil is the greatest National Team and was playing home and everything else.

If was to think like you, I could say that it didn't matter if we lost by 1 or 7, but that loss was a sign of everything that is wrong in Brazilian football.

I feel the same way about that Stoke Loss. We are supposed to be one of the greatest clubs in the world and we getting 6 from Stoke? Add that to hugely disappointing Season we had, knocked out of UCL at group stage on a easy group and that's it.

There is no bigger sign that we are far from the greatness we belong to.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,621 posts | 3917 
      Reply #4660: Feb 13, 2016 01:59:31 pm
      Do we have the worst set of players in Liverpools modern era?

Is this the worst Liverpool team since 1991?

I would have to say yes
      Kopite78
      Reply #4661: Feb 13, 2016 02:06:38 pm

I would have to say yes

Too hard to judge against other eras, there are too many variables

Stick a quality striker in this side ( or the one we have injured) and he gets the 20+ goals a season he would then the squad wouldn't look so bad.

It may feel awful right now, and it does, but the squad isn't that far off, a couple of top end performers getting goals and then the whole perception of the players look different

The league level and depth has improved also to '91

It's all about perspective on things like that.

Are we doing sh*te right now though? Oh yes
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #4662: Feb 13, 2016 02:30:45 pm

I would have to say yes

1990/91 we finished 2nd to Arsenal and in 91/92 we finished 6th and won the FA Cup dark days indeed
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,621 posts | 3917 
      Reply #4663: Feb 13, 2016 02:34:19 pm
      1990/91 we finished 2nd to Arsenal and in 91/92 we finished 6th and won the FA Cup dark days indeed

I meant since we last won the league.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #4664: Feb 13, 2016 03:07:43 pm
      I meant since we last won the league.

man for man if you compare these players to any successful Liverpool team they would struggle to get in . Only Sturridge if fit would get in.
      when you long for the likes of Igor Biscan or Jimmy Traeore  you know we are in trouble.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #4665: Feb 13, 2016 03:24:43 pm
      man for man if you compare these players to any successful Liverpool team they would struggle to get in . Only Sturridge if fit would get in.
      when you long for the likes of Igor Biscan or Jimmy Traeore  you know we are in trouble.
      Firmino and Coutinho would as well. I didn't give up on Origi yet, I think Clynne is decent too.
      Kopite78
      Reply #4666: Feb 13, 2016 03:34:58 pm
      Firmino and Coutinho would as well. I didn't give up on Origi yet, I think Clynne is decent too.

Yes but opposed to our  players in successful teams? Think about the statement.. Would they get in our most successful sides..
      How those sides played and gelled and ultimately ruled the game

Clyne is decent but Phil Neal good? Steve Nicol good? Chris Lawler good?

Firmino or Coutinho good players but for players who played in similar areas of the pitch.. Terry Mc good? Peter Beardsley good? Kenny Dalglish good? Steve Heighway good? John Barnes good?

As for Origi.. He can't even be in a conversation yet nor ever likely to be.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,621 posts | 3917 
      Reply #4667: Feb 13, 2016 03:41:43 pm
      Yes but opposed to our  players in successful teams?

Firmino or Coutinho good players but for players who played in similar areas of the pitch.. Terry Mc good? Peter Beardsley good? Kenny Dalglish good? Steve Heighway good? John Barnes good?

As for Origi.. He can't even be in a conversation yet nor ever likely to be.

Yep. This.

Coutinho, for all his sexy football, still hasn't done enough on a consistent basis.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #4668: Feb 13, 2016 03:41:50 pm
      Yes but opposed to our  players in successful teams?

As for Origi.. He can't even be in a conversation yet
      You can't compare players like Beardsley and Dalglish etc... they were good when it was a slower game.. now we have way less home grown players, lighter balls and money took over. If we were still in a system like back then Danny Ings and Lambert would probably stand out and look like legends.

Quick Reply