Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1529669 times
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #8487: Jul 15, 2016 10:43:00 pm
      https://twitter.com/_chrisbascombe/status/754066204873064448

Well Jürgen you may have won a few things in Germany but according to the experts on here you don't know what you are doing without spending Mourinho style!

I'm sure the so called experts are all desperate to have their worries proven wrong come the new season but perhaps they will reserve the right to be equally as smarmy in response come the end of the season if it doesn't work out so good.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #8488: Jul 15, 2016 10:47:50 pm
      I'm sure the so called experts are all desperate to have their worries proven wrong come the new season but perhaps they will reserve the right to be equally as smarmy in response come the end of the season if it doesn't work out so good.

The experts would have justification if we had the petro dollars of City, stolen wealth of the plastics or even the cash reserves of Utd.

The experts might have to realise our current position?

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #8489: Jul 15, 2016 11:04:53 pm

Well Jürgen you may have won a few things in Germany but according to the experts on here you don't know what you are doing without spending Mourinho style!

;D
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #8490: Jul 16, 2016 12:02:43 am

I'm not sure I've seen anyone suggest we spend like United, Chelsea or City, but maybe we can spend a little more than Bournemouth?
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #8491: Jul 16, 2016 10:39:10 am
       :f_doh: Haha. The boss has said it in the Echo. Nobody can moan about his targets henceforth. Great piece of PR. Right up there with "Fans left early and I felt alone".

Klopp - Liverpool can be a real challenger but 'I cannot make the transfers people want'
      22:29, 15 JUL 2016 BY ANDY KELLY
      Reds boss not concerned by lack of 'big name' arrivals

Jürgen Klopp believes his Liverpool team can be a “real challenger” - despite the absence of big-name signings in the summer transfer window.

The Reds boss has moved to reassure supporters concerned about the lack of so-called marquee signings from his business so far.

Sadio Mane represents the only major investment in this window at £30m with Marko Grujic (£5.5m), Loris Karius (£4.5m) and Joel Matip (free) completing the new arrivals at Melwood.

Klopp insisted there was no point in Liverpool going for players who the club simply couldn’t get and admitted: “I cannot make the transfers everyone wants”.

The Reds boss said the absence of European football was a factor but believes the focus must be on the Reds creating their own team, based on last season’s core.

Klopp said: “This period in every year is one of a lot of expectations.

“Everyone expects big names and a big improvement because of big names and if you don’t know the players it’s like ‘what are we doing? what are they doing?’

“Some clubs have already done a lot but you cannot prove in this moment what’s really right. What you have to do is prepare the new season.

“At the moment nobody thinks about the good games we played last season or the bad games.

“They only think Manchester United have taken this player or Manchester City have take this player and we have taken ‘what is the name?’ and that is it. This moment for us it is about creating and building a team for next year. We have to prove our thoughts about the team work.”

One big name Liverpool were linked with early in the summer was Germany’s Mario Gotze with discussions taking place prior to the start of Euro 2016.

The player of course came through at Borussia Dortmund under Klopp but it is understood he was still keen to keep his options open until after the tournament.

Liverpool weren’t prepared to wait as a potential second choice for the Bayern Munich man who now appears destined to return to Dortmund after a distinctly underwhelming Euros.

They moved on to Sadio Mane who in contrast was immediately keen to make the move to Anfield.

Klopp believes there is no need for wholesale changes from last year’s team and saw enough at times in the season to think a strong core is already there.

“We can talk about the one or two disadvantages that we have. We are not in the Champions League, we are not in the Europa League. That possibly means for one player ‘I want to play in the Champions League or European football or whatever so I cannot join Liverpool’.

“We have to build our own squad and the base for this squad is the team from last year. For us it is not a moment to change a whole team, there is no reason for it. Absolutely not.

“If you want you can look at the second half of the Europa League final but there were other games especially in the European league where you can say this team - plus some new transfers - it could be really strong. They could be a real challenger.

“If we go for players and there is obviously there is no chance, there is no point. Look for players you can have and make the best of it. I am 100% happy with the guys we have brought in until now. Karius is a wonderful goalkeeper, he is still a big talent, he is pretty young but has experience and from the German goalkeeper school which is not too bad.

“Joel Matip, he has played five or six years in a row at the highest level, big development and is a free agent so it was a wonderful transfer. Sadio Mane. There is no doubt about him. He could fit in each Champions League team but he is here because he wanted to come here.

We could have got European football, that is clear

“We didn’t have to convince them that Liverpool is not as bad as everyone says, no. It was a call – and we thought a lot about it, not just because they wanted to come – and it was ‘we want to join this team, this team is strong and we want to help it reach a lot of things in the future. We believe in the strength of the team, the club and the manager’.

"That is what we have to take. Show that we have a strong base with a few add ons and improvement of the players that are still here.”

Despite Liverpool’s eight place finish in the Premier League, Klopp is certain his side could have finished higher if priority had not been given to the thrilling run to the Europa League final.

He said: “We have to build a special bond. It is using experience, using the base and not killing the base and starting completely new. We can say yes we were only eighth in the league and that is not too good, but we could have got European football, that is clear.

“You take from it and you make decisions and then go for it. That is what we are doing in the moment. I cannot make the transfers everyone wants.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/klopp-liverpool-can-real-challenger-11621529
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,455 posts | 4584 
      Reply #8492: Jul 16, 2016 10:46:28 am
      Top 4 with a domestic cup would be an achievement.

No European football now an excuse being used for not attracting top players...
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #8493: Jul 16, 2016 04:41:28 pm
      Top 4 with a domestic cup would be an achievement.

No European football now an excuse being used for not attracting top players...

I think for some players Shabs it is not an excuse it's a fact.

We do not shop in the Pogba level players...we simply cannot go and blow and entire transfer window on 1 player and even then we can't spend £80-100 million on one.

Spurs do not have superstars, they have finished above us couple years in a row...West Ham finished above us, Leicester finished above us last year.

He want's to build a solid core, a solid team where he can turn around and add 1 player to fill a need in any given window not make wholesale changes every year. We need continuity, we need guys together over the long haul. Fact is, it's not that Leicester is full of great players its the fact that they're core had played together through 3 different leagues without interrupt or massive changes..they played as a team because of continuity, and that is what we are seeing with Spurs now.

Karius, Clyne, Lovren, Matip, Can, Mane, Firmino, Coutinho, Sturridge is a pretty damn good spine and most of these guys are young and can stay here...Jürgen will start filling out the rest and we can start having some stable continuity. 
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #8494: Jul 16, 2016 05:05:21 pm
      This is a great read but it's also quite long as it goes into a lot of detail.  I've posted the full article in the Tactics Geek thread as it's more appropriate in there.

http://spielverlagerung.com/2016/07/15/tactical-analysis-Jürgen-klopps-liverpool/
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #8495: Jul 16, 2016 05:26:01 pm
      I think for some players Shabs it is not an excuse it's a fact.

We do not shop in the Pogba level players...we simply cannot go and blow and entire transfer window on 1 player and even then we can't spend £80-100 million on one.

Spurs do not have superstars, they have finished above us couple years in a row...West Ham finished above us, Leicester finished above us last year.

He want's to build a solid core, a solid team where he can turn around and add 1 player to fill a need in any given window not make wholesale changes every year. We need continuity, we need guys together over the long haul. Fact is, it's not that Leicester is full of great players its the fact that they're core had played together through 3 different leagues without interrupt or massive changes..they played as a team because of continuity, and that is what we are seeing with Spurs now.

Karius, Clyne, Lovren, Matip, Can, Mane, Firmino, Coutinho, Sturridge is a pretty damn good spine and most of these guys are young and can stay here...Jürgen will start filling out the rest and we can start having some stable continuity. 

LC didn't win because of their core and continuity. They won because the other top teams went through transition or injury problems and because they didn't have injuries or European football. Let's see them win the title this season with the same team, you putting money on that?
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #8496: Jul 16, 2016 05:26:35 pm
      LC didn't win because of their core and continuity. They won because the other top teams went through transition or injury problems and because they didn't have injuries or European football. Let's see them win the title this season with the same team, you putting money on that?

Disagree, those are excuses...Arsenal did not have those issues neither did United or Spurs.  City & Chelsea's bench cost more than LC's entire team..hell LFC's bench probably cost more.

There was a core group of players playing the exact same style together for years, they may of taken advantage of some of the top teams issues but so could have 14 other squads.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #8497: Jul 16, 2016 05:28:39 pm
      So all a team needs is a core and continuity? Who knew, don't know why we hired Jürgen then. All we needed to do was just keep the same guys together for a few years and they'd magically win the title :D
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #8498: Jul 16, 2016 05:30:14 pm
      So all a team needs is a core and continuity? Who knew, don't know why we hired Jürgen then. All we needed to do was just keep the same guys together for a few years and they'd magically win the title :D

Yes in fact that is exactly what I am saying...and that is exactly what he will be attempting...keeping a core group of quality players playing in ONE system and adding quality at targeted problem spots.

We hired Jürgen because he is one of the best managers in the world and coaching players to they're full potential and has proven track record of doing so....But I think you know that already
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #8499: Jul 16, 2016 07:24:57 pm
      Can I just say I disagree with Shabs slightly. "Top four and a domestic cup" won't be an "achievement", it'll be an incredibly good effort, a fabulous outcome given the strength of the squads in the league, how much everyone has spent, their wage budget etc. I'll tell you this here and now, unless we make some dramatic signings and unless Sturridge stays fit all season, getting into the top five will be a fine "achievement", not even counting domestic cups.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #8500: Jul 16, 2016 07:45:47 pm
      Can I just say I disagree with Shabs slightly. "Top four and a domestic cup" won't be an "achievement", it'll be an incredibly good effort, a fabulous outcome given the strength of the squads in the league, how much everyone has spent, their wage budget etc. I'll tell you this here and now, unless we make some dramatic signings and unless Sturridge stays fit all season, getting into the top five will be a fine "achievement", not even counting domestic cups.

More like a miracle. One or two injuries in the squad he's in the process of thinning out and we'll be lucky to finish in the top half of the table. Never mind, there's always Ben Chilwell; Oh wait, no there isn't because we can't even get a deal involving a teenager who is yet to kick a ball in a Premier League match over the line.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #8501: Jul 16, 2016 09:27:35 pm

I think if we take the squad as it is today (without further additions or departures) I would be looking at top 5 or 6 as "par" which sadly seems to have taken the place of top 4.

I think we have made some progress defensively and Mane will give us balance and hopefully goals up front.

Apart from Mane we haven't really brought in players that will make a big difference imo, and if we are aiming for a title challenge I can't say we have so far brought in the players we will need. 

I think losing out on Gotze was a bigger blow than we might like to admit and while I am trying to retain my earlier positivity, unless Jürgen pulls a couple of rabbits out of the hat in the next few weeks I may have to adjust my sights for this season.

Pleasantly pleased with the players we have signed but imo they are no where near enough to take us back to where we belong.   

Still plenty of time yet though.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #8502: Jul 16, 2016 09:54:13 pm
      what concerns me slightly or maybe more than slightly is we are going to have to perform so much better than last season with largely the same squad and including our new players who will also need to play far  better than they did last season. We are not going to spend £60million  or £70 million on 1 or two players so we do really need to start well. However as we saw in 2013 having one game a week to prepare for is a bonus compared to the teams in Europe. Its going to be interesting and I haven't a clue where we will finish ask me again in December. We have to believe this is going to work.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #8503: Jul 16, 2016 10:00:35 pm
      This is a great read but it's also quite long as it goes into a lot of detail.  I've posted the full article in the Tactics Geek thread as it's more appropriate in there.

http://spielverlagerung.com/2016/07/15/tactical-analysis-Jürgen-klopps-liverpool/

It is a long read Debs but interesting.
      The chart with Premier League player's fast attacking goals  was impressive

Studge and Ings in top three with Mane placed well.

Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #8504: Jul 16, 2016 10:44:34 pm
      The experts would have justification if we had the petro dollars of City, stolen wealth of the plastics or even the cash reserves of Utd.

The experts might have to realise our current position?

Our current position from where I'm standing is that we're trying to do things on the cheap and hoping to God that Jürgen can build a monster on a peanuts budget. If 5 million Grucic turns out to be the second coming of Stevie G and freebie Matip is the new Sami Hyppia then maybe we'll be fine and I'll happily eat my words.

Speaking of position here are our previous positions under FSG:

6th, 8th, 7th, 2nd, 6th, 8th.

That's FSG, masters of lowering expectations
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #8505: Jul 16, 2016 10:59:39 pm
      It is a long read Debs but interesting.
      The chart with Premier League player's fast attacking goals  was impressive

Studge and Ings in top three with Mane placed well.

Some good stuff in it mate and yes those stats were impressive especially for how we need them to work or how we'll use those players.

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #8506: Jul 16, 2016 11:29:07 pm
      what concerns me slightly or maybe more than slightly is we are going to have to perform so much better than last season with largely the same squad and including our new players who will also need to play far  better than they did last season. We are not going to spend £60million  or £70 million on 1 or two players so we do really need to start well. However as we saw in 2013 having one game a week to prepare for is a bonus compared to the teams in Europe. Its going to be interesting and I haven't a clue where we will finish ask me again in December. We have to believe this is going to work.

Also consider that United, City and Chelsea - last year's under achievers - will all considerably strengthen their already stronger squads (in comparison to ours), and unless something in our transfer philosophy changes between now and the end of the window, I'll tell you exactly where we're going to finish - in our seventh mid-table finish in nine years, that's where.

As for the one game a week without Europe theory, that's over blown. Sure it worked well for us, even better for Leicester, but it didn't work for United in 2014/15 and conversely, playing mid-week hasn't affected Chelsea, United or City on the numerous occasions they've won the league and been playing Champions League Football so I wouldn't pin your hopes on that being our saving grace.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #8507: Jul 16, 2016 11:33:17 pm

Whoa that was a long article. It almost never  ended.  ;D

Fascinating though, and much of it rings true in terms of the patterns we saw take shape during matches after Klopp's arrival. Some of the sequences of play almost became predictable, but in a good way as far as LFC gaining possession.

Interesting the stat about Joe Allen winning the ball back the most times per 90 minutes and being on the park for the highest percentage of occasions the team won it back (probably not saying that last part right but read the article and you'll see what I (it) mean(s).

Also interesting the part about the style accentuating the need for players to learn how to tackle effectively from behind. How many times did we see Moreno doing that little hop before diving in after being caught out?

Anyway, thanks much for posting this. A much-needed intelligent respite during a bit of a neurotic spell in preseason.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #8508: Jul 17, 2016 07:23:12 am
      Karius, Clyne, Lovren, Matip, Can, Mane, Firmino, Coutinho, Sturridge is a pretty damn good spine

The spine runs down the centre mate... seems to me you've thrown a few arms and legs in there :)

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #8509: Jul 17, 2016 08:21:48 am
      The spine runs down the centre mate... seems to me you've thrown a few arms and legs in there :)

:D

Let's get Balotelli involved and give it a ball bag.

Quick Reply