Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1530896 times
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #8717: Jul 24, 2016 10:31:49 am
      If we qualify for Europe in terms of FFP, we'd be able to spend a fortune next summer providing the money was there.
      So a low 'net' spend, with the advent of FFP [which, in all honesty, is toothless anyway] has become a good thing in this instance? As for 'if the money will be there' - there's no valid reason for it not being (a double dunter, in fact). A new take on things alright Blud and food for thought.

Massive season ahead alright then.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,975 posts | 3058 
      Reply #8718: Jul 24, 2016 10:33:39 am
      One of the most impressive things about Jürgen and team through this summer, for me, is that he conveys (again to me) a complete sense of command of what is happening around Anfield.

We've signed 7 players and already offloaded a few but he hasn't said anything about individuals coming or going until it's done.

He clearly knows exactly what he's looking for, knows what finances he has to play with (and is comfortable) that as a consequence of the swings and roundabouts of the transfer market that he'll have to balance the 'who' with the 'what'.......

For example - we're constantly linked with Zeilinski at a fee of c.£10m......things get a bit funky AND Bournemouth cough up £15m for Ibe......now we can look at a possible upgrade in another player that's clearly more complete - but not the finished article - in Gini (I'm going to stick with that as his name btw ;))......THIS time we don't f#ck about and everybody is surprised by how quickly and clinically we move......

For the record - I'm not suggesting he wouldn't still have liked other 'marquee' names BUT that he does know exactly what he's working with and backs himself to make it succesful.

No internal fighting. No media leaks.

Now let's go win some sh#t.

Just my tuppenceworth  :o
      « Last Edit: Jul 24, 2016 10:43:53 am by Scotia »
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #8719: Jul 24, 2016 10:56:02 am
      For example - we're constantly linked with Zeilinski at a fee of c.£10m......things get a bit funky AND Bournemouth cough up £15m for Ibe......now we can look at a possible upgrade in another player that's clearly more complete

That's a good point Scotia and one I had thought of but you put it way better than I ever have - if I have picked you up right you're saying; if the opportunity presents itself, Jürgen won't be afraid to buy a 'higher calibre' player. I like that.

I've banged on (too much probably) suggesting that Jürgen would look for experienced, ready-made players. Players who would help the team, not next season or three seasons later but now. It may have got lost in the white noise as personalities clashed (I'm guilty more than most for that tbf) but...

All Jürgen's Summer signings have (in my opinion) ticked that box. That one thing has shown me that, yes, he actually is "pulling the strings". The truth is; we saw Stevie, Suarez and indeed Rodgers, plea for 'ready-made', experienced players in the past but their pleas fell on deaf ears. None of them had the ability, balls or clout to force a change; Jürgen does.

For that [experience/ready-made] reason alone I'm, personally, chuffed.  8)
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,975 posts | 3058 
      Reply #8720: Jul 24, 2016 11:01:54 am
      That's a good point Scotia and one I had thought of but you put it way better than I ever have - if I have picked you up right you're saying; if the opportunity presents itself, Jürgen won't be afraid to buy a 'higher calibre' player. I like that.

I've banged on (too much probably) suggesting that Jürgen would look for experienced, ready-made players. Players who would help the team, not next season or three seasons later but now. It may have got lost in the white noise as personalities clashed (I'm guilty more than most for that tbf) but...

All Jürgen's Summer signings have (in my opinion) ticked that box. That one thing has shown me that, yes, he actually is "pulling the strings". The truth is; we saw Stevie, Suarez and indeed Rodgers, plea for 'ready-made', experienced players in the past but their pleas fell on deaf ears. None of them had the ability, balls or clout to force a change; Jürgen does.

For that [experience/ready-made] reason alone I'm, personally, chuffed.  8)

Yep that's exactly what I was grasping for and it's rooted in his (and the backroom staff's) total belief, in my humble.....

He's not 'trying' to prove himself on any level - he's striving to achieve something remarkable. He knows the market, he knows his worth and he knows the worth of Liverpool.

That's pretty inspiring to me.

RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #8721: Jul 24, 2016 11:21:39 am
      I remember every year around Houllier and Rafa's time the fan base expected a title challenge every year. And competition was very strong then also.

I fully expect a title challenge next year and I'm extremely confident that Jürgen will deliver. But if he doesn't then I'm not going to be demanding he be sacked but it will mean he hasn't met my expectations.

Top 4 is a minimum but it's not something I get overly concerned with, aim for the title and if we miss out and finish third or fourth then so be it, but aim as high as possible first and go from there.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #8722: Jul 24, 2016 11:39:18 am
      I'm hoping for a title challenge but I'll be more than happy with a top 4 placing, which I genuinely think is achievable, even allowing for inevitable injuries to Studge throughout the season.
      I really like our signings, we have strengthened in the right areas and should be harder to score against plus harder to defend against next season, and that equation leads to success.
      Red John
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 390 posts | 127 
      Reply #8723: Jul 24, 2016 12:07:44 pm
      Manchester, Manchester City, Chelsea and Arsenal will surely spent more money than us this summer, so I can't see why missing top four this season would be underachieving by Klopp. When you judge manager at least two things should be taken into consideration: time and net spend. If you cannot provide manager enough net spend to compete against the financially most powerful clubs in the country, than you must give him a time to deliver results or you need to reconsider your expectations.

It's true that Mourinho, Pep and Conte have signed for new clubs this summer which is kind of disadvantage, but their clubs will provide a huge amount of money to compensate that.

Not competing in Europe will provide enough time for preparation between games which is advantage for sure, but not that huge advantage IMO. Clubs which compete in Europe and in PL will pay huge money for squad players as they already did last couple of years. They'll have enough depth to compete seriously in two or more fronts.

If we not reach top four this season it would not be end of the world as long as we go in the right direction. Two or three years from now - Klopp could achieve amazing things. He did it before and I trust him he could repeat that here as well.
      « Last Edit: Jul 24, 2016 12:29:18 pm by Red John »
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,461 posts | 4589 
      Reply #8724: Jul 24, 2016 12:23:22 pm
      I see us challenging this season & from what I've seen of the other top teams,there is nothing to concern us.

Arsenal,Citeh,Chavski & Manure are all other serious pressure this season to deliver,we can exploit this, take points from them early on & what the pressure mount upon them.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #8725: Jul 24, 2016 12:33:49 pm
      So a low 'net' spend, with the advent of FFP [which, in all honesty, is toothless anyway] has become a good thing in this instance? As for 'if the money will be there' - there's no valid reason for it not being (a double dunter, in fact). A new take on things alright Blud and food for thought.

Massive season ahead alright then.

What I think at the minute mate is the low net spend is unintentional, Klopp it appears is bringing in who he wants and trimming who he doesn't, don't think any one envisaged £16m for Ibe and £6m for Smith as an example, but these fee's were picking up is driving the net spend down.

It appears so far we haven't lost any one from Jurgens favoured starting XI but upgraded those who played second fiddle for players who could possibly have one or two worrying about their first choice status, Karius - Migs, Mane - Lallana etc.

Regardless of spend, other than having 22 Galactico's, I think that's what we all wanted to see, genuine competition for places.

No Europe to distract us, can see us being really strong this year, I think we'll challenge and secure top 4 and if we do, i'll be interested to see if the money saved this year brings in one or two big signings.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #8726: Jul 24, 2016 01:18:05 pm
      What I think at the minute mate is the low net spend is unintentional, Klopp it appears is bringing in who he wants and trimming who he doesn't, don't think any one envisaged £16m for Ibe and £6m for Smith as an example, but these fee's were picking up is driving the net spend down.
      Fully understand the "unintentional" bit Blud - after all they weren't his players. It's crazy to think it mate but Jürgen could benefit to the tune of more than we got for Sterling (maybe even Luis) by the time all sales are tallied:o ;)

[Setting aside any previous debate on 'Net' spend of course... i.e. under who's administration is okay to use the argument and under who's it's not] I'm asking: (if we are now accepting that the whole 'net' spend thing is unintentional) has the sale of these players, stockpiled under previous regimes, turned out to be beneficial; for the following reason?...

No Europe to distract us, can see us being really strong this year, I think we'll challenge and secure top 4 and if we do, i'll be interested to see if the money saved this year brings in one or two big signings.

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #8727: Jul 24, 2016 01:23:54 pm
      [Setting aside any previous debate on 'Net' spend of course... i.e. under who's administration is okay to use the argument and under who's it's not] I'm asking: (if we are now accepting that the whole 'net' spend thing is unintentional) has the sale of these players, stockpiled under previous regimes, turned out to be beneficial; for the following reason?...

Only time will tell mate.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #8728: Jul 24, 2016 01:42:28 pm
      Indeed Blud.

Intentional low 'net' spend or not, the hope as always is that we [Jürgen] will be able to use the windfall from "players he inherited rather than bought".

I know offsetting, all the money raised from those sales, "doesn't sit too well" with the odd fan because "the credit for those purchases obviously belong elsewhere" but the truth of the matter is...

Jürgen could end up with an additional £75m - £80m worth of sales this Summer alone (irrespective of the T.V. money etc.) and when used properly, that money can only be a good thing for the team.  :nod:

« Last Edit: Jul 24, 2016 02:04:18 pm by bad boy bubby »
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #8729: Jul 24, 2016 02:22:39 pm
      Does anyone else think Klopp might have himself a bit of a conundrum on his hands?

We've got tons of international talent in the side, in fact, we can create an excellent (and probably the preferred, barring 1-2 changes) starting lineup entirely using players from abroad. This is where the issue comes in. We've got Hendo and Milner as captain and vice-captain and then we've got Studge, Clyne, Ings, and Lallana as four more England internationals in our senior team.

Watching the clips of practice, the England players are heavily focused on by the cameras and LFC media crew, but in reality, only Sturridge and Clyne come in the preferred lineups by just about anyone on this forum or by anyone who knows the side. I hope that the pressures of having England internationals such as Hendo, Milner, and Lallana, two being in leadership roles, don't end up having any impact on our selection.

Or am I just being irrational?  ???
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #8730: Jul 24, 2016 02:42:43 pm
      I hope that the pressures of having England internationals such as Hendo, Milner, and Lallana, two being in leadership roles, don't end up having any impact on our selection.

Or am I just being irrational?
      Probably not irrational... probably just getting an excuse in early should it transpire that Jürgen actually likes those three. Or am I just being cynical?  :f_tongueincheek:

Seriously tho'; do you honestly believe that Jürgen would pick a team on anything other than it's merits? If so, that would be some accusation to be throwing about A_R. Nah mate... if he picks those three, or Migs, or Moreno; we will just have to accept the obvious...

i.e. Jürgen is in full control and if you tell everyone that you trust him (and that they should too) then... you just gotta trust him; no lip service, no ifs and no buts.  :laugh:

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,236 posts | 8573 
      Reply #8731: Jul 24, 2016 02:54:25 pm
      Probably not irrational... probably just getting an excuse in early should it transpire that Jürgen actually likes those three. Or am I just being cynical?  :f_tongueincheek:

Seriously tho'; do you honestly believe that Jürgen would pick a team on anything other than it's merits? If so, that would be some accusation to be throwing about A_R. Nah mate... if he picks those three, or Migs, or Moreno; we will just have to accept the obvious...

i.e. Jürgen is in full control and if you tell everyone that you trust him (and that they should too) then... you just gotta trust him; no lip service, no ifs and no buts.  :laugh:

Was shocked watching the Huddersfield game when I saw Moreno make a clearance with his right foot, the Klopp effect may well be working.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #8732: Jul 24, 2016 04:02:14 pm

That's right. I'm 100% with you bbb in that Jürgen would never pick a team based on anything other full merit. I guess the side that I actually was more worrying about is folks with a bit of reputation pull (i.e. the media, "pundits", etc) turning against Klopp and raising hell if those players end up seated on the bench. But realistically, who gives a f*ck about them anyway. :laugh:

As for my side, I'm completely open to whoever he picks, as you say, I trust him and frankly I've got no biases against any of our players, just judgments of their current standing.

Don't think it would have been the first time that players were chosen as starters just for being English though.  :f_tongueincheek:
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #8733: Jul 24, 2016 07:55:33 pm
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,519 posts | 1508 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #8734: Jul 24, 2016 08:53:16 pm
      On the one hand, none of the signings Klopp has made has excited me. Ironically enough, the ones that have excited me are the ones who have come through the ranks, like Ejaria and Stewart. Ok Grujic and Matip have also impressed me.

Then again, not many had heard about Mkhitaryan, Lewandoski, Goetze, Kagawa, Reus and Hummels. And when they lost Lewandoski, they replaced him with Aubameyang, another unknown.

I like to think that's what is happening here, and that before long, names like Grujic, Mane, Matip, et al will have a similar impact. 
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #8735: Jul 24, 2016 09:17:58 pm
      Yep that's exactly what I was grasping for and it's rooted in his (and the backroom staff's) total belief, in my humble.....

He's not 'trying' to prove himself on any level - he's striving to achieve something remarkable. He knows the market, he knows his worth and he knows the worth of Liverpool.

That's pretty inspiring to me.

This and your post previous to this both absolutely spot on mate, well said.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #8736: Jul 24, 2016 09:33:44 pm

No.

Just American .

;D

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #8737: Jul 24, 2016 11:31:57 pm
      I remember every year around Houllier and Rafa's time the fan base expected a title challenge every year. And competition was very strong then also.

I fully expect a title challenge next year and I'm extremely confident that Jürgen will deliver. But if he doesn't then I'm not going to be demanding he be sacked but it will mean he hasn't met my expectations.

Top 4 is a minimum but it's not something I get overly concerned with, aim for the title and if we miss out and finish third or fourth then so be it, but aim as high as possible first and go from there.

Is right.

Expectation does not equate to ultimatum.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #8738: Jul 24, 2016 11:36:43 pm

Hey no funny business, I'm closer to the team than you are right now.  ;D
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #8739: Jul 25, 2016 12:20:38 am