Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1531618 times
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #10005: Sep 27, 2016 06:47:45 pm
      Let your football do the talking

He certainly is at that, lately.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #10006: Sep 27, 2016 06:54:49 pm
      That's the way it was mate, but times change. Managers can make money out of these things while the clubs encourage them because it raises the profile of the club and attracts commercial investors... especially with an asset like Jürgen.

Not to mention when Sky and others offer these huge TV deals there are probably clauses in them stating that teams need to make available at times the manager or players for such programs as well as interviews etc.

Just part of the world we live in now and it's not going to change anytime soon.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,868 posts | 704 
      Reply #10007: Sep 27, 2016 07:52:27 pm
      Quote from Rush
      Yes we know it is, but when the manager comes out and says it, it cements it, makes it official, makes it a 'thing' for opposition managers to think about.

Again, it's not so much something new but you can take that to the bank if you're an opposition manager.

So we now know that Klopp is going to implement counter pressing in most every match we play. Managers can adapt to this. 

Ok it's nothing drastic, but why give the opposition ANYTHING to go on? Give them nothing because they'll be looking to take anything from us.

Don't make it easy for them

Our tactics are analysed all the time, by players, coaches, scouts, pundits, etc. The opposition already know what our strengths and weaknesses are, and they're still often shipping 4 and 5 goals to us. So it's the opposition who should be criticised for their inability to deal with it.
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #10008: Sep 27, 2016 07:58:35 pm
      Some right F***ing miserys on here, suck the life out of absolutely everything.

Teams prepare F***ing dossiers that are pages full and have video analysis going back years of how teams, managers and players operate. He's told us what we as fans already know so if a premier league manager needed that to suss us he will be out the door very soon I'd imagine because he's at the wrong level.

For fucks sake think of the level these guys are operating at, even the ones we take the piss out of like Steve Bruce are streets and streets ahead of anyone on this forum with their football knowledge.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #10009: Sep 27, 2016 08:25:34 pm
      If a premier league manager needed to watch that to understand anything about our game then he's in the wrong profession, it's really that simple.

It was entertaining, it was fun and it was certainly interesting to listen to him but honestly he said nothing that we didn't already know.

Exactly.

You know what I liked, you could see his passion/love for the game. Absoultely enthralling to watch for me.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,655 posts | 6949 
      Reply #10010: Sep 27, 2016 09:06:37 pm
      Some right f**king miserys on here, suck the life out of absolutely everything.

Teams prepare f**king dossiers that are pages full and have video analysis going back years of how teams, managers and players operate. He's told us what we as fans already know so if a premier league manager needed that to suss us he will be out the door very soon I'd imagine because he's at the wrong level.

Spot on.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #10011: Sep 27, 2016 09:27:51 pm
      I also like the idea of keepig your cards close to your chest. BR did a lot of this, where he banged on about flipping the triangle, resting on the ball, death by football etc etc...

No need to point opposition coaches even in the right direction as to how we go about our game imo.

One thing for sure, it was great viewing though.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #10012: Sep 27, 2016 09:32:36 pm
      Personally loved watching it, I got caught up just listening to the passion the gaffer has and can see why it is engulfing the club. It appeared at the end that Jamie wanted a hug and several times during the program where he might have wanted to leg hump Jürgen, can't blame him for that.
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #10013: Sep 28, 2016 01:54:41 am

Teams prepare f**king dossiers that are pages full and have video analysis going back years of how teams, managers and players operate. He's told us what we as fans already know so if a premier league manager needed that to suss us he will be out the door very soon I'd imagine because he's at the wrong level.

For fucks sake think of the level these guys are operating at, even the ones we take the piss out of like Steve Bruce are streets and streets ahead of anyone on this forum with their football knowledge.

Good point, adjust and adapt as they do. Maybe im worrying over nothing, I just don't want anything to ruin what we have!
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #10014: Sep 28, 2016 04:48:45 am
      Different fans view things differently which includes me. After seeing how we perform in the 70s, 80s, 90s and beyond, our style now is slowly but surely getting near to what we were before, hard running, hard pressing, hard but fair tackling, non-stop running, intelligent play and never say die attitude until the last second of the game and we were light years ahead of everyone then and Klopp is doing his best to get us back to our roots by summing up what is mouthful into one word "gegenpressing". We don't get labeled "red machine" all those years ago for nothing.

Does Klopp read into the history of the club and players of those successful years? I'm sure he did, he and his assistant are very experience and intelligent individuals and he's moulding the team into what we were before and tweaking a few things here and there to keep up with the times. I kept wondering why managers that came before Klopp needed to look further, just look at the blueprint of our successful years, it's all there, replicate it, alas they never did and each trying to impose their own style with limited success, except Rafa, a great tactician.   

There's no secret to gegenpressing, some clubs are doing that already but getting the right quality of players and players of the right mentality and the ability of the players to gel to play to that style and many sub-styles within that style during matchday is a big big and difficult challenge and I'd think not many managers could do that.  I'd think it is easier to understand the style than to replicate or counter the style. Whiskey nose knew what is needed to be successful  long time ago and he picked up these essential points from us when he struggled in his early years with the old 1st Division, afterwhich their style was very much like the old Liverpool. he progressed from there and got a bunch of talented young players to play to that style and performed ala LFC while we struggled with the commercial side of things and multiples times change of managers and ownership that have destabilised the club for at least 2 decades.

Klopp has got us slowly but surely playing like the old Liverpool, goals coming from players all over the pitch and it will be difficult for the opposition to read our tactics, yes the "gegenpressing" is there but you wouldn't know when and where the players will suddenly switch gear during play.

In summary, I'm not too worry of the opposition knowing our tactics but trying to counter that is something that they need to worry more, let alone replicating the tactics. 

It is clear that Klopp is slowly but surely creating that core of players to play to that style and it would be truly frightening what he could achieve if he's given a good budget to get the players that he really needed. Mane is a start of that. Hopefully the owners give Klopp the full support to get the players that he really needed.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #10015: Sep 28, 2016 07:05:28 am
      Dunno whether this has been posted but here's an article I found on The Express.

Sounds like it's horrible to play against us haha

CURTIS DAVIES ON PLAYING THE REDS

“When you play against a Liverpool team that is vibrant, exciting and enjoying itself it is tough,” said the centre-half.

“They are a side which literally plays with (Jordan) Henderson and the two centre-halves at the back and the rest can go where-ever they want. 

“That is not ill-discipline, it’s organised. The inter-changing, the good football, the passing - they are a very, very tough team to deal with when they are on their game.

“It is hard to lay a glove on anyone, put it that way. When there is so much inter-changing you cannot put your mark on one person.

“It is tough to try and get in and try and make a tackle which makes them think again because literally one second Mane will be in that hole, then Lallana and then Coutinho.

“With the full backs playing like wingers it becomes very difficult because you end up with backs against the wall.”   

“Last week against Arsenal, we had 10 men but it was a different performance,” he said.

“We were good. We kept hold of the ball but Liverpool, with their pressing game, they weren’t going to be satisfied with 3-0.

“They weren’t satisfied with 4-0 or scoring five. They wanted six, seven, eight and that is the difference. Arsenal were like, ‘We will sit, we will let them have the ball and then we will have it for another five minutes’.

“But Liverpool didn’t give you a chance to breathe to be honest.

“Arsenal are a very good passing team, but a lot of their stuff is on front of you. Nice little passes.

“Liverpool have that mix of nice little passes and then people who will run and run at you and beat you as well. Like Mane. Like Coutinho.

“They will open the game up just on their own by making runs and beating people. It is very difficult to take.

“When we went down to 10 men then, if I am being honest, as a Liverpool I would be thinking, ‘We can give them a hiding. Let’s be ruthless.’

“And they were ruthless.”

Got giddy reading that.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #10016: Sep 28, 2016 01:28:59 pm
      http://www.empireofthekop.com/2016/09/27/four-stats-where-liverpool-have-topped-the-table-since-klopps-arrival/

We all know Jürgen Klopp has made a huge difference to the club since he arrived last autumn.
      We look more dangerous in possession, more hungry for the ball, and more determined to make the opposition play games on our terms.
      But did you realise just how big the turnaround has been?
      These four stats – revealed by Jamie Carragher on his Monday Night Football show on SkySports (cited on Echo) – really underpin just how much better we are.
      Since Jürgen signed last October ...

Scored 71 goals
          Enjoyed average of 58.8% possession
          Made 22.4 tackles per game
          Made 559 sprints per game

All stats best in the league.

Klopptastic Pop Pickers
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,463 posts | 4591 
      Reply #10017: Sep 28, 2016 04:04:28 pm
      Thought I would put this here as it sounds if Shankly is talking about Klopp present day (enthusiasm & hard work)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qGwRK18iGW4

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R6JJIBF_qaY
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #10018: Sep 30, 2016 11:24:35 am
      On my phone so a screenshot will do but ESPN wrote this about the "club of the month":

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #10019: Sep 30, 2016 11:35:26 am
      On my phone so a screenshot will do but ESPN wrote this about the "club of the month":

Some people will definitely be looking up 'swashbuckling' :D.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #10020: Sep 30, 2016 01:57:06 pm
      Some people will definitely be looking up 'swashbuckling' :D.

And perhaps stumble upon an article on Errol Flynn.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #10021: Sep 30, 2016 02:17:30 pm

You might have to to spell this one out in alphabetti spaghetti for those who need telling.

« Last Edit: Sep 30, 2016 02:41:54 pm by Son Of A Gun »
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,353 posts | 1634 
      Reply #10022: Sep 30, 2016 04:03:51 pm
      Thought I would put this here as it sounds if Shankly is talking about Klopp present day (enthusiasm & hard work)

Don't think I'll ever tire of hearing the great man speak , think he'd have shot far sam .
      biki
      • Never negative about anything. Apart from LFC, Klopp, etc etc.
      • Forum John Barnes

• 419 posts | 47 
      Reply #10023: Sep 30, 2016 04:20:17 pm
      http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/10599764/Jürgen-klopp-ill-end-my-managerial-career-at-liverpool

Hopefully his time here will end with plenty of trophies!
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #10024: Oct 01, 2016 07:05:56 pm
      Klopp on Swansea comeback: 'We were angry at half-time'

Jürgen Klopp has revealed that he walked into an 'angry' dressing room at half-time of Liverpool's 2-1 victory over Swansea City - and believes that emotion was key to his side's second-half fightback.

The Reds trailed to Leroy Fer's eighth-minute goal at the break at the Liberty Stadium, having at times been outfought by opposition who went into the game on the precipice of the Premier League relegation zone.

But the visitors produced a brilliant turnaround in the final 45 minutes, with Roberto Firmino's header and a late James Milner penalty securing the three points a spirited display deserved.

Speaking at his post-match press conference, Klopp explained that he and his players were more than just unhappy with their efforts in the opening half and were determined to make amends.

The German also reflected on a poor start to the fixture and the spirit Liverpool showed in overcoming Francesco Guidolin's men.

On the start to the game...

It was bad, I would say. We were not ready for this game. Obviously, it's my responsibility that we are ready for games, today I saw we weren't. [Our] body language was not good, the build-up was absolutely too static. Swansea did well, so that's maybe the most important thing to say first, but we were really too static. It's not allowed that it's that easy to disturb our build-up. It was a little bit difficult and we tried to [replicate] it in training, we knew what they were going to do. It was pretty clear it would be similar to what they did against City so we knew where the spaces were but obviously it was a kind of misunderstanding. We didn't do well. We were never compact enough for counter-pressing situations, which makes absolutely no sense, we lost a lot of balls. That's not a big problem, it's part of football, but we were not really in the
      situation - that was the start of the game. The start ended with the goal for Swansea and it didn't become immediately better but in the first half then it was better. We could see that when we were in the game, we let the ball roll and our movements were better, then it was difficult for Swansea. We had not the biggest chances but we had the moments so that gave us important information for the second half and the second half was better. We were still not brilliant but better. I think we deserved the win, even when I saw the last chance of Swansea, which if they score in that situation then it's our fault and they deserve the point for sure. But I think over the whole second half we were the better team, so it was deserved.

On an angry Reds dressing room...

I said to the boys, 'I am 49 and I have lost a lot of football games and unfortunately I will lose a few more, but today makes no sense'. It's not a day where we should lose a football game because we could have done so much better in the first half and we could still do better in the second half. It's not allowed that we accept a bad day - even on a bad day you have to fight against the start, if you want. You have to strike back in the game and cool down because there were already small things where you could see we had already lost patience with ourselves. [We] were moaning about the decisions when the referee was absolutely right. You need to stop this and half-time is really good for this. We were angry at half-time, but with ourselves, nobody else. So we had to show we can do better because [up to that point] nobody could see why we were here. It looked like we were there for a football game but we were there because we want to win a football game. In the second half, there was no doubt about this anymore

On an improved second-half performance...

Often I have to accept what I see, I cannot change a lot in a game. Half-time, I can change a lot, but only when the players have open ears. They have, so that's good. It's very important that on not brilliant performance days that you are still able to win. It's very important, always, because I have two hands and I'm pretty sure I have enough fingers to count the brilliant games in this season. It was very important that we showed the reaction in the second half. I didn't think before the game that this would be the day where we would be that bad because there was no sign in training this week. But that's what we are still learning and we have enough time to think about it now until we play again. I was not happy with the start, that's true, so I feel my responsibility [for that].

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/237978-klopp-on-swansea-comeback-we-were-angry-at-half-time
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #10025: Oct 01, 2016 07:53:59 pm

Good Post Shabs .

That is why my footer image has the two of them pictured.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,338 posts | 6390 
      Reply #10026: Oct 01, 2016 09:28:27 pm
      Didn't get to see the game, but saw the highlights and match reports. This is why I thought we'd challenge for the title this year....Klopp is undeniably able to get the best out of his players. I like that we were able to come back from behind to grab the full 3 points. Shows a lot of character. I know we got on Brendan's back about that soundbyte, but it really is a necessity for football success.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #10027: Oct 01, 2016 09:42:56 pm
      Didn't get to see the game, but saw the highlights and match reports. This is why I thought we'd challenge for the title this year....Klopp is undeniably able to get the best out of his players. I like that we were able to come back from behind to grab the full 3 points. Shows a lot of character. I know we got on Brendan's back about that soundbyte, but it really is a necessity for football success.

I think the only reason people go on Brendan's back about it is because he said it in every press conference even if we got beat like 3-1 or something.

Really liking what Jürgen is doing to the team this season.

Quick Reply