Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1528914 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,188 posts | 4404 
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #10695: Jan 22, 2017 10:59:11 am
      Klopp needs to play Lallana in the middle. I would prefer Origi to be on the right and Firmino playing as our main striker. Matip and Lovren as CBs.

A big of a odd one why he keeps playing Lallana there, great player that he is but but because of his lack of pace completely wasted and pretty ineffectual.

Which in fact raises another question if he doesn't trust anyone from Sturridge, Origi or Ojo to play wide right then just buy a winger.
      If no one is available just tweak the system.

Binomial
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 37 
      • Doing things over and expecting different results
      Reply #10696: Jan 22, 2017 01:24:45 pm
      Klopp needs to play Lallana in the middle. I would prefer Origi to be on the right and Firmino playing as our main striker. Matip and Lovren as CBs.

Origi on the right is very ineffective.

The problem is everyone wants to play in the middle.

& since Clyne never seems to overlap anymore, we have very limited space to operate in.
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #10697: Jan 22, 2017 01:33:18 pm
      I've watching all our goals from this season this morning. What sticks out is that 90% of them come from direct play. No passing for the sake of passing , just direct offensive passing.

For the last two months it's been the complete opposite. Slow build up , pedestrian midfield play , awful hopeful final balls. Teams have learnt how to set up against us and instead of us trying to mix it up , we continue to run down blind alleys.

Our Midfield has been terrible for a while now , playing like robots unable to break their programming . We need quality FOOTBALLERS not athletic specimens.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #10698: Jan 22, 2017 01:46:15 pm
      There's this debate that seems to be rolling seems unable to separate result from performance. The suggestion is that we're playing poorly because the results show that but personally I don't agree with that for one moment. There were similar debates early last season that certain posters couldn't discern differences between Jürgen's management and Brendan's. Now it became clear to them only after results made it obvious and again there's similar division where just because our results say one thing that certain aspects of our fan base can't recognise that we are indeed still performing at a relatively high standard but results are not falling our favour and indeed we're not getting the just rewards for our efforts. Hopefully the statistics below will show a little of what I mean:

Let's examine our stats from the period in question, in each game I will place our statistics first for simplistic viewing:

League:
      Swansea (away from home) - Result: Loss
      Shots: 18 - 8
      On Target: 6 - 3
      Corners: 10 - 3
      Possession: 59 - 41 (%)

Man United (away from home) - Result: Draw
      Shots: 13 - 9
      On Target: 4 - 3
      Corners: 7 - 5
      Possession: 44 - 56 (%)

Sunderland (away from home) - Result: Draw
      Shots: 21 - 10
      On Target: 15 - 5
      Corners: 5 - 2
      Possession: 71 - 29 (%)

Cups:
      Plymouth (away from home) - Result: Win
      Shots: 16 - 5
      On Target: 4 - 2
      Corners: 4 - 4
      Possession: 68 - 32 (%)

Plymouth (home) - Result: Draw
      Shots: 28 - 4
      On Target: 4 - 1
      Corners: 18 - 0
      Possession: 77 - 23 (%)

Southampton (away) - Result: Loss
      Shots: 9 - 11
      On Target: 2 - 5

Stats clearly can't give a total reflection of the match but they are surely accepted as good indicators of which team is dominant, which team is forcing more opportunities and they also show trends. Firstly everyone accepts the Southampton result and performance was poor, you'll find no argument there and you'll clearly hear Jürgen's disappointment and acceptance of it if you listen to him. The stats above prove that to be the exception on our current run. Rather than remove the accepted poor performance though I was more than happy to include it in the stats to get our average over the current period (2017 only) that people seem to suggest we're playing so poorly. Over that spread of games our average stats were:

Shots: 17.5 - 7.8
      On Target: 5.8 - 3.2
      Corners: 8.2 - 3.2
      Possession: 64.5 - 35.5 (%)

Now you should also consider that over those 6 games 5 of them were away from home and you'll perhaps begin to understand why it's hard for me to understand what people are basing their suggestion that we're playing so poorly other than the bare results on offer. Any team that is producing those statistics will be generally winning their games, let alone only 1 out of the 6. We're producing performances that are statistically almost twice as effective in all these measures. That to me suggests that our team is indeed still performing to a high standard and that our results are not a true reflection of the level of our play and indeed I do expect our results to get back on track in no time at all. I'd also sympathise with Jürgen if he indeed felt quite frustrated on the number of points we've gained on these games. thankfully we haven't fallen that far behind our rivals and we are still in all possible competitions.

We are still the top scoring team in the league and continue to create the most chances so when I hear calls for "we need a striker" or Klopp should be derided for not starting the game with "a recognised striker" it is absolutely ludicrous to give this suggestion any credence.

As I was saying yesterday in the post match, things are not nearly as bad as the doom mongers would try to have you believe. Doubter to believer, some haven't truly signed up.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,515 posts | 1507 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #10699: Jan 22, 2017 01:48:10 pm
      Why is it always us, teams figure out how to play against? This was said under Rodgers, so I think he changed the system, but then it was said again. Now it's said about Klopp's team. Both frustrating and worrying.

Perhaps we need to change our philosophy to winning from a good strong defensive foundation.

1-0, 0-1, 1-0, 0-1 gets you just as many points as 5-2, 1-4, 4-0, 3-4. It's assumed of course that you won't win every game by 1 goal margins and that you'll inevitable score more as the games go by.

If you can't win, make sure you don't lose and all that.

I really believe that if your defence isn't right, you struggle. We should easily have prevented all three of the goals against Swansea. Two at least.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,821 posts | 2452 
      Reply #10700: Jan 22, 2017 01:50:56 pm
      I really believe that if your defence isn't right, you struggle. We should easily have prevented all three of the goals against Swansea. Two at least.

We would have prevented them if Klopp had started Matip.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #10701: Jan 22, 2017 01:55:17 pm
      There's this debate that seems to be rolling seems unable to separate result from performance. The suggestion is that we're playing poorly because the results show that but personally I don't agree with that for one moment. There were similar debates early last season that certain posters couldn't discern differences between Jürgen's management and Brendan's. Now it became clear to them only after results made it obvious and again there's similar division where just because our results say one thing that certain aspects of our fan base can't recognise that we are indeed still performing at a relatively high standard but results are not falling our favour and indeed we're not getting the just rewards for our efforts. Hopefully the statistics below will show a little of what I mean:

Let's examine our stats from the period in question, in each game I will place our statistics first for simplistic viewing:

League:

Cups:

Stats clearly can't give a total reflection of the match but they are surely accepted as good indicators of which team is dominant, which team is forcing more opportunities and they also show trends. Firstly everyone accepts the Southampton result and performance was poor, you'll find no argument there and you'll clearly hear Jürgen's disappointment and acceptance of it if you listen to him. The stats above prove that to be the exception on our current run. Rather than remove the accepted poor performance though I was more than happy to include it in the stats to get our average over the current period (2017 only) that people seem to suggest we're playing so poorly. Over that spread of games our average stats were:

Now you should also consider that over those 6 games 5 of them were away from home and you'll perhaps begin to understand why it's hard for me to understand what people are basing their suggestion that we're playing so poorly other than the bare results on offer. Any team that is producing those statistics will be generally winning their games, let alone only 1 out of the 6. We're producing performances that are statistically almost twice as effective in all these measures. That to me suggests that our team is indeed still performing to a high standard and that our results are not a true reflection of the level of our play and indeed I do expect our results to get back on track in no time at all. I'd also sympathise with Jürgen if he indeed felt quite frustrated on the number of points we've gained on these games. thankfully we haven't fallen that far behind our rivals and we are still in all possible competitions.

We are still the top scoring team in the league and continue to create the most chances so when I hear calls for "we need a striker" or Klopp should be derided for not starting the game with "a recognised striker" it is absolutely ludicrous to give this suggestion any credence.

As I was saying yesterday in the post match, things are not nearly as bad as the doom mongers would try to have you believe. Doubter to believer, some haven't truly signed up.

We typically have 70-80% possession and create F**k all apart from a few hopeful pot shots at the keeper which IF on target are easily saved, it doesn't mean anything. If you use your eyes rather than stats then it is bloody obvious that the intensity has gone out of our game, we more often than not pass the ball form side to side then try and loop a ball into the middle which is easily defended against as we have no height in the attacking positions. When we try to play the ball quicker, as we were doing at the start of the season then we create proper chances, this is what we did for the 2 goals yesterday.
      BTW it is absolutely alarming to see how many of our shots are off target, I've been saying this for a long time now but we either need to work on shot accuracy and become more clinical or buy players who are.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #10702: Jan 22, 2017 01:58:42 pm
      We would have prevented them if Klopp had started Matip.

or at least brought him on when Klavan got the yellow which massively affected his game, another blunder from Klopp which unfortunately are beginning to build up a bit, not that anyone expects him to be without the odd mistake, but playing a clearly out of form Can I will NOT forgive.
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #10703: Jan 22, 2017 02:01:57 pm

League:

Cups:

That's a really clinical and incise post Luke , but it all goes out the window when you watch our games. I've never watched us play sh*te , known what i have just seen was sh*te and then had stats flashed in front of me telling me we were good and thought   "  Oh, you know what , now having seen those stats , we were actually quite good "

Possession stats are always the most misleading , as are shots on target   (  3 scuffed shots on goal should not be recorded )  Just judge the team by the greatest measuring instrument that has ever been invented. YOUR EYES!
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,821 posts | 2452 
      Reply #10704: Jan 22, 2017 02:03:13 pm
      or at least brought him on when Klavan got the yellow which massively affected his game, another blunder from Klopp which unfortunately are beginning to build up a bit, not that anyone expects him to be without the odd mistake, but playing a clearly out of form Can I will NOT forgive.

Yup I'm baffled as to why he persists on playing Can.

Can is a squad player at best.

I hope Grujic is fit again soon I think he's already a better player than Can.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,446 posts | 4584 
      Reply #10705: Jan 22, 2017 02:07:52 pm
      Was Klopp playing Matip at the very end asking a question from FIFA or the FA?..

We had already lost the game,however had Matip played from the start and we had won, there could have been a potential points deduction to face?..

Thoughts?.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #10706: Jan 22, 2017 02:11:17 pm
      Was Klopp playing Matip at the very end asking a question from FIFA or the FA?..

We had already lost the game,however had Matip played from the start and we had won, there could have been a potential points deduction to face?..

Thoughts?.

No, Matip was cleared to play on Friday, I can understand not starting Matip as we all expected Swansea to be sh*te, but as soon as they showed some fight and especially after Ragnar got the yellow I thought Klopp should have brought on Matip.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,821 posts | 2452 
      Reply #10707: Jan 22, 2017 02:12:13 pm

Thoughts?.

Fifa cleared Matip to play on Friday.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,446 posts | 4584 
      Reply #10708: Jan 22, 2017 02:14:05 pm
      Fifa cleared Matip to play on Friday.

Right, odd decision to bring him on at that stage then...
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #10709: Jan 22, 2017 02:45:35 pm
      Why is it always us, teams figure out how to play against?

I'm not sure they have.  We've had to change our own game because of injuries since October, it isn't just since Cou was out it started after the last International break when both Gini and Lallana got injured.  As they came back Sturridge was out, then Coutinho, Matip, Hendo, Clyne, Origi...... in fact I've just checked physioroom and since October 1st we've had 28 different injuries, knocks and niggles.

There's been a few posts in recent matchday threads about the number of crosses we're playing, I'm guessing it's due to us trying to get in behind those packed defenses as we've not had our usual attacking flow and fluidy with players missing, so can't play those quick balls through the middle.

Add to that we've played a lot of games in the last month.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,515 posts | 1507 
      Reply #10710: Jan 22, 2017 03:07:29 pm
      I'm not sure they have.  We've had to change our own game because of injuries since October, it isn't just since Cou was out it started after the last International break when both Gini and Lallana got injured.  As they came back Sturridge was out, then Coutinho, Matip, Hendo, Clyne, Origi...... in fact I've just checked physioroom and since October 1st we've had 28 different injuries, knocks and niggles.

There's been a few posts in recent matchday threads about the number of crosses we're playing, I'm guessing it's due to us trying to get in behind those packed defenses as we've not had our usual attacking flow and fluidy with players missing, so can't play those quick balls through the middle.

Add to that we've played a lot of games in the last month.
      Good points all

Perhaps it's a case of we've had to adapt a way of playing that isn't our usual pressing game. If I think about it, that's been missing to some large degree these last 5 or 6 games so that's an indication we've had to change stuff.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #10711: Jan 22, 2017 03:09:30 pm
      Good points all

Perhaps it's a case of we've had to adapt a way of playing that isn't our usual pressing game. If I think about it, that's been missing to some large degree these last 5 or 6 games so that's an indication we've had to change stuff.

That's how I've viewed it mate, why would we change what was working so well otherwise.  That would be a real headscratcher.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,515 posts | 1507 
      Reply #10712: Jan 22, 2017 05:58:31 pm
      But investment is needed and quickly regardless of his [Klopp's] preference for training over transfers.

Especially in a week when Liverpool were revealed as recording the highest net profit for European clubs in 2015, according to UEFA, making 75m euros
      ~Echo

Come on Jürgen, let's loosen those purse strings
      Binomial
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 37 
      • Doing things over and expecting different results
      Reply #10713: Jan 22, 2017 06:44:37 pm
      Absolutely baffling that he has 0 interest in the January market, it happened last season too... not a single soul.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #10714: Jan 22, 2017 09:33:46 pm
      But investment is needed and quickly regardless of his [Klopp's] preference for training over transfers.

Especially in a week when Liverpool were revealed as recording the highest net profit for European clubs in 2015, according to UEFA, making 75m euros
      ~Echo

Come on Jürgen, let's loosen those purse strings

That and stop playing Lallana in the front three.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,188 posts | 4404 
      Reply #10715: Jan 23, 2017 07:44:59 am
      Looks like the PR machine has been in motion after the Swansea defeat.

Seem like we have been looking at transfers this window but can't get the deals done, which suggests either the club won't sanction paying a premium or Klopp himself does not want to pay over the odds.

I'm inclined to believe the latter, based on previous form. Even with a World class manager nothing has changed with FSG.

https://twitter.com/livecholfc/status/823434841618345984
      « Last Edit: Jan 23, 2017 09:04:41 am by HScRed1 »
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #10716: Jan 23, 2017 08:57:23 am
      the thing that baffles me about the 'teams wont sell' article is that we have months and months to broker and line up these deals.

I believe that we are A. too nice and friendly in negotiations - hence why we pay over the odds or release clauses for average and sell our better players cheap and B. do not have skilled negotiators

I do love what Klopp is about and how he comes across, i just wish he would address the obvious defensive issues and purchase some people with winning mentality and proven/undoubted ability more often than 'potential' or old 'cover'

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #10717: Jan 23, 2017 09:01:55 am
      What do we do in the Summer when clubs "don't want to sell" us their players? I thought we came up against this sort of thing in practically every single transfer?

Quick Reply