Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1529738 times
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #12650: Apr 30, 2017 05:50:23 pm
      Jürgen said after the last game that we have a good defence. Imagine Brendan had come out with that! Jürgen seems to have too much faith in his players abilities at times, it's cost us dearly, hopefully these players repay that faith.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,944 posts | 5001 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #12651: May 01, 2017 05:12:37 pm
      Liverpool's title challenge may have fizzled out but Jürgen Klopp is not shocked... he believes even Real Madrid and Barcelona would struggle to win the Premier League.

The Reds boss has been given a brutal introduction to English football, with his side perfectly ­capable of outplaying the likes of Chelsea and Spurs but left bruised and battered by ­Burnley and Hull.

As he prepares for a visit to Watford – the scene of his worst defeat since arriving at Anfield 20 months ago – the ­German has become well aware that it’s the so-called smaller clubs that have left him with the bloodiest nose.

“Even for the greats of Spain it would be difficult to win the Premier League,” he said.

“Madrid and Barca would be fighting for everything but it would be very difficult for them. In the Premier League there is nothing certain. The ­intensity is very high.”

Liverpool have not lost to any side in the top eight this season but defeats by Swansea, Palace, Bournemouth ­Leicester, Burnley and Hull have scuppered their title hopes.

Despite criticism of his defence for undermining the tilt for the top, Klopp has given a new £25million contract to centre-half Dejan Lovren, at fault for both goals in last weekend’s Anfield defeat by Crystal Palace.

Klopp said: “If Dejan played for another club you’d think about signing him, and then you think what you’d have to pay for him and it would be big money.

“He is only 27 – the best time for a centre-half is still to come.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/

interesting, I read the same article in the online Telegraph, I wonder who actually wrote it ?

can't really argue with it in all honesty, for me Klopp is still finding his feet in the EPL , but he is learning and he will get it right, losing to those we shouldn't lose to is all part of his learning curve, another is trying to endure a entire campaign with a small squad of players with not enough quality within, issues that will be addressed in the summer ??

YNWA
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #12652: May 01, 2017 05:33:34 pm
      interesting, I read the same article in the online Telegraph, I wonder who actually wrote it ?

can't really argue with it in all honesty, for me Klopp is still finding his feet in the EPL , but he is learning and he will get it right, losing to those we shouldn't lose to is all part of his learning curve, another is trying to endure a entire campaign with a small squad of players with not enough quality within, issues that will be addressed in the summer ??

YNWA

The EPL can be a great leveller.
      Look at the weekend scores most of which went in our favour .

For Jürgen its all come down to this now.

Four Cup Finals   and a hatful of goals in every game for GD.

No pressure there then.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #12653: May 04, 2017 11:29:05 pm
      An interesting bit of research that shows just how few shots per game we concede in open play, something I've been banging on about without the clear numbers to hand.

The part that I find most interesting is how the other teams who have conceded so few shots are actually the leaders in the league yet we find ourselves behind them while also scoring a near equal or greater number:

Liverpool 176
      City 194
      Spurs 196
      Chelsea 209
      United 209
      Arsenal 229
      Southampton 240
      Everton 249

It's clear there's a strong correlation between shots allowed and league position, it's not like for like but a fair indicator. What also correlates, not surprisingly, is goals against with Chelsea, Spurs, United and City being the teams that concede the least goals in the league.

It does seem odd that we're so much better at allowing fewer shots (it is a considerable margin to be ahead of everyone) that we're so far behind in goal difference with the likes of Chelsea. Food for thought if nothing else.

Credit Source:
      Garry Gelade‏ @GarryGelade  5h5 hours ago
      I was doing something else and found this (ex. pens/set pieces)
      « Last Edit: May 05, 2017 12:08:09 am by KopiteLuke »
      paulow63
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 673 posts | 87 
      Reply #12654: May 05, 2017 12:17:18 am
      Is there a similar table for Headers Allowed?
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #12655: May 05, 2017 01:51:56 am

To be fair it's not even headers it's the gaffs occuring with the 2nd ball and not clearing it out once it drops.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #12656: May 05, 2017 01:57:24 am

Interesting question, not that I know of.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #12657: May 05, 2017 07:41:21 am
      I would imagine it's down to the fact that we are so open that if we concede chances To the opposition they are "big chances".
      Playing in essence with 3 defenders, two CB's and a midfielder against the opposition counter attack, as our full backs are so high up the pitch means we need defenders who can win their individual duels something where Lovren, Klavan and Lucas are weak.

Dropping clangers in defending set pieces doesn't help either, but that Might be more down to losing concentration.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,652 posts | 3919 
      Reply #12658: May 05, 2017 08:47:44 am
      An interesting bit of research that shows just how few shots per game we concede in open play, something I've been banging on about without the clear numbers to hand.

The part that I find most interesting is how the other teams who have conceded so few shots are actually the leaders in the league yet we find ourselves behind them while also scoring a near equal or greater number:

Liverpool 176
      City 194
      Spurs 196
      Chelsea 209
      United 209
      Arsenal 229
      Southampton 240
      Everton 249

It's clear there's a strong correlation between shots allowed and league position, it's not like for like but a fair indicator. What also correlates, not surprisingly, is goals against with Chelsea, Spurs, United and City being the teams that concede the least goals in the league.

It does seem odd that we're so much better at allowing fewer shots (it is a considerable margin to be ahead of everyone) that we're so far behind in goal difference with the likes of Chelsea. Food for thought if nothing else.

Credit Source:

Spurs with superb stats there
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #12659: May 05, 2017 10:07:09 am

Liverpool 176
      City 194
      Spurs 196
      Chelsea 209
      United 209
      Arsenal 229
      Southampton 240
      Everton 249

Credit Source:

To me that says our style of play is very good at limiting the number of shots against us in a match but our back five is utterly atrocious at stopping the ones that do happen from going in. If nothing else this highlights how bad our defence/goalkeeping really is. It reinforces the suggestion that that area of the team needs an entire rebuild.
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #12660: May 05, 2017 11:18:18 am
      You almost a 1 in 5 chance of scoring against us if you take a shot !

Every time I have managed to put to bed my annoyance at our defending this season someone or something will happen that pisses me off

1 in 5 shots go in ?
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,434 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #12661: May 05, 2017 11:23:33 am
      Oh joy the stat crunchers are back
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #12662: May 05, 2017 01:26:27 pm
      Oh joy the stat crunchers are back

:D For your further amusement:

Squawka Football‏Verified account @Squawka  3h3 hours ago
      Most chances created in Europe's top 5 leagues this season:

Real Madrid (477)
      Tottenham (451)
      Liverpool (449)
      Bayern (449)

All out attack.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #12663: May 05, 2017 01:32:53 pm

Real Madrid (477)
      Tottenham (451)
      Liverpool (449)
      Bayern (449)

All out attack.

Looks like the semi-final lineup of next year's Champion's League to me.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #12664: May 05, 2017 01:37:12 pm
      Looks like the semi-final lineup of next year's Champion's League to me.

That'd be one helluva prediction. Either way it looks like we're doing something very right to be right near the top of both those lists.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #12665: May 05, 2017 03:22:21 pm
      I charted a couple of matches this season to see how, who and where we won possession (basically an examination of our pressing) and the thing that struck me in re-watching these matches, with frequent pressing of pause, is how long we often keep possession for. I don't know if there are cumulative posession stats for the season, but I think at least part of this stat with shots/chances allowed is that our opponents don't see all that much of the ball, especially in our end of the park.

Saying that, is there a way of reversing their conversion ratio while still being an exciting, attacking, chance-creating, goal-scoring team?
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,154 posts | 259 
      Reply #12666: May 05, 2017 03:34:32 pm

Liverpool 176
      City 194
      Spurs 196
      Chelsea 209
      United 209
      Arsenal 229
      Southampton 240
      Everton 249

Credit Source:

Thanks for useful stats mate (I'm always a big fan of stats anyway ;D)

IMO re the fewer number of shots concede correlate to possession of the ball which I think we're in top three this season.

littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #12667: May 05, 2017 04:35:34 pm

Real Madrid (477)
      Tottenham (451)
      Liverpool (449)
      Bayern (449)

All out attack.
      Imagine if we'd had a top striker.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #12668: May 05, 2017 11:10:30 pm

Woah !
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #12669: May 05, 2017 11:11:15 pm

Imagine if we had a defence .
      littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #12670: May 06, 2017 08:50:21 am
      Imagine if we had a defence .
      Oh should i dare to dream ? A defence ? I think i can just about remember when i never used to worry about our defence , no wait , it's gone.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #12671: May 06, 2017 09:55:00 am

We have a top striker but he is on the med table most of this (& last) season.
      littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #12672: May 06, 2017 10:02:05 am
      We have a top striker but he is on the med table most of this (& last) season.
      True , but we should play him when he's fit.

Quick Reply