Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1518378 times
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #13064: Aug 08, 2017 10:44:47 pm
      Wasn't sure where to put this, but I'll put it here as it is mainly about the squad, Klopp's vision, the players, squad depth, the lack of incoming transfers etc. I'll only put the link as the article is very long, but a pretty good read in my opinion. He's spot on about pretty much everything and doesn't shy away from giving criticism where it is justified.

https://tomkinstimes.com/2017/08/paul-tomkins-big-201718-liverpool-fc-preview/

I wonder how the doomsayers will react to the article. Cue the 'he's like a new transfer'-jokes.

Thanks for sharing, some good stuff in the article (particularly the bits about Klopp being an improver of players) but I also remember reading similarly positive articles from Tomkins just about every pre-season for the last 8-9 years. He is very much a glass half full kinda guy!
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #13065: Aug 08, 2017 10:48:20 pm
      Thanks for sharing, some good stuff in the article (particularly the bits about Klopp being an improver of players) but I also remember reading similarly positive articles from Tomkins just about every pre-season for the last 8-9 years. He is very much a glass half full kinda guy!

I agree..what the point in being an LFC supporter and being glass half-full personality.

The two for the most part are totally opposite of each other.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #13066: Aug 08, 2017 11:23:48 pm
      I agree..what the point in being an LFC supporter and being glass half-full personality.

The two for the most part are totally opposite of each other.

The point being mate from a position of strength having qualified for CL being told we have a war chest of £200M we are now being told lets gamble on the amazing ability if Jürgen to change water into wine ( change water but into Lovren an Klavan).

Suddenly Ryan Kent who has not played one PL game can step into replace Mane or Salah, Ejaria and Woodburn barely out of they're nappies can deputise for the injury prone Lallana and Hendo.

Another missed opportunity to consolidate rather than another gamble which almost spectacularly backfired last season.

I say all this as someone who is generally positive but it's hard to believe there is no other players in the world that Klopp rates apart from VVD and Keita who incidentally would have cost over £100M, so he is not averse to spending big sums.

AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #13067: Aug 09, 2017 03:49:58 am
      n.

I say all this as someone who is generally positive but it's hard to believe there is no other players in the world that Klopp rates apart from VVD and Keita who incidentally would have cost over £100M, so he is not averse to spending big sums.

It's one of 4 things.

He rates his squad higher than anybody else and won't buy unless it is someone he absolutely wants.

There are other players and he is keeping it quiet.

He is nativity in its purist form

He is a bullshitter happy to cover for the owners.

When you say thingsI have final words on all transfers end of story; money has never been an issue in fact there is plenty of it....it has to be one of the 4 above...I really don't see other options.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #13068: Aug 09, 2017 03:54:06 am
      It's one of 4 things.

He rates his squad higher than anybody else and won't buy unless it is someone he absolutely wants.
      Eh? He said at the end of the season that he had several targets, he's also mentioned how we must get better on defense.

There are other players and he is keeping it quiet.
      Quiet and leaving it till the last minute?

He is nativity in its purist form
      Are you saying he's Baby Jesus?

He is a bullshitter happy to cover for the owners.
      Sure hope not but he sounds a lot like Brendan as of late.....

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #13069: Aug 09, 2017 11:20:27 am
      It's politics IMHO. Jürgen is smart enough to see through the FSG "we couldn't get your first choice but f*** me look how good these alternative picks are, AND it'll mean we've got even more for the war chest in the next window" model. He's seen through all that old bollocks as he ain't a complete mug. Rather than sign some bloke from Wisla Krakow for 9 million quid and spending all season trying to find a slot for "Doesfuckallski", he may as well stick with what he's got if they can't/won't buy the players HE wants.

It's like a game of chicken, and Jürgen figures it won't be HIS fault if we struggle to keep up or get into the CL. As long as us fans are smart enough to blame the right people, he's right.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #13070: Aug 09, 2017 11:30:40 am
      It's politics IMHO. Jürgen is smart enough to see through the FSG "we couldn't get your first choice but f*** me look how good these alternative picks are, AND it'll mean we've got even more for the war chest in the next window" model. He's seen through all that old bollocks as he ain't a complete mug. Rather than sign some bloke from Wisla Krakow for 9 million quid and spending all season trying to find a slot for "Doesfuckallski", he may as well stick with what he's got if they can't/won't buy the players HE wants.

It's like a game of chicken, and Jürgen figures it won't be HIS fault if we struggle to keep up or get into the CL. As long as us fans are smart enough to blame the right people, he's right.

It's a nice theory, but doesn't really fit with the facts.
      Not that that ever stops these strange conspiracy theories though.

Next up, the moon landings were faked, and it was all down to FSG.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #13071: Aug 09, 2017 05:02:46 pm
      Article from TAW pertaining to the subject of our manager and his plan.

https://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2017/08/liverpool-and-the-league-title-a-little-perspective-ahead-of-another-big-season/

Woodburn as the next Gerrard? Solanke as the new Fowler?

Sounds good to me, but we need a new Sami or Alan as well.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #13072: Aug 09, 2017 09:22:21 pm
      I'm not being passive but I can't be arsed any longer by risking a stroke/heart attack by venting my fury at FSG if this is all that comes out of the transfer window. For sure, it may not be enough to sustain our position of 4th best team in the league but on the other hand a bit of magic, luck with injuries and improvement across the board (as unlikely as that seems) may see us improve. Rather, what will interest me most is how Klopp utilises and brings forward our young talent like TAA, Woodburn and co. Tomkins article posted above was so excellent and made me think deeply about how vital it is to build a core of young local world class talent that can be relied upon. This is not idealistic thinking. If we can develop the sort of local world class talent like Gerrard and Carra that can act as pillars of strength and quality while they possess a long term commitment to the club based on their love for the surrounding area (rather than get  every time they see their name mentioned with Barcelona) then it's so vital for future success. Istanbul would never have happened without the fanatical dedication provided by Stevie and Jamie and the whole success of that year was based on that drive by our captain and vice captain.

There is still A LOT to get excited about. Our youth setup finally seems settled with a very talented and committed man in Alex Inglethorpe leading the way in sourcing the best local and English talent for the club. Not far above him is Jürgen with his incredible team of talented coaches whose obsession and record in bringing out the best our youth has to offer has left it's mark across the whole of Europe. The pre season showed just how much stronger the likes of TAA, Woodburn, Gomez and Kent look in comparison to just 6 months ago. And that's not even including Solanke who has shown so much promise. If even three of them made it to their way to the starting eleven within the next couple of years then you can bet a whole lot more will be coming up right behind them.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #13073: Aug 10, 2017 06:14:48 pm
      N'Gog looks utterly pitiful in that photo. His face perfectly captures the way he played!

Tucking his cock into his sock after smashing one past Man Utd 8)

David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #13074: Aug 10, 2017 06:25:12 pm
      Do not know what is wrong with me, finding it very hard to get excited about the season ahead. Do not know whether it is too many let downs or what. Does anyone feel the same way ?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #13075: Aug 10, 2017 06:52:38 pm
      Do not know what is wrong with me, finding it very hard to get excited about the season ahead. Do not know whether it is too many let downs or what. Does anyone feel the same way ?

I'm glad it's here so we can stop fussing about  the transfers we are apparently not going to make. Klopp had his chance, if he doesn't strengthen he will have only himself to blame. I'm hoping his ability to coach these guys up will shine through and be enough and hopeful we swerve all the injuries we had last year.
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #13076: Aug 10, 2017 07:08:14 pm

Me too, but that has been a general feeling for me over the last 10 years or so.

Think it's a combination of seeing or club just being used as a money making tool and also the money that has flowed into the game, particularly over the last 5 years or so.

Still, once we kick off I'll be as up for it as ever!
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #13077: Aug 10, 2017 07:25:58 pm

Get yer missus to sort you out mate, failing that, you know what women are like ? a good old piss up with yer mates does the trick, and I mean a piss up, where you have to hold on to the grass to stop yourself falling off earth, if you can't manage that I've found that  a good ol session bashing the bishop can seriously improve your mood, sometimes tho you may have to combine all three although jizzing all over your missus mammories could have a detrimental affect, so choose carefully !  ;D  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

YNWA
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #13078: Aug 10, 2017 07:27:50 pm

Yeah, i have meh feeling, will see if i feel different come Saturday
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #13079: Aug 10, 2017 07:27:54 pm
      Always brightens me up  ;)

http://youtu.be/GRJEFHzHjL4
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #13080: Aug 10, 2017 07:41:32 pm

Same. It's probably the facts that a) it's the cricket season, b) we haven't had our game changing transfer window and c), my stomach increasingly being curdled by the way the game cynically tries to extract every last penny at the absolute expense of any sporting ambitions. The game stinks IMHO, right from the top of the openly corrupt FIFA committee, through SKY TV and their stranglehold on the game, to the owners and their "treat it like a business" attitude, to the players with their diving, squealing, badge kissing, money grabbing histrionics.

Somewhere along the line we lost the whole f****** plot, all IMHO obviously.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #13081: Aug 10, 2017 08:07:50 pm
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #13082: Aug 10, 2017 08:12:29 pm
      Looking back at the time, when the Liverpool fans walked out in the 58th minute of a Premier League at Anfield. Showing FSG that the fans will only take so much. Think that it was a great credit to them and more actions like this should follow in general.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #13083: Aug 10, 2017 08:36:55 pm
      Looking back at the time, when the Liverpool fans walked out in the 58th minute of a Premier League at Anfield. Showing FSG that the fans will only take so much. Think that it was a great credit to them and more actions like this should follow in general.
      Why should people walk out? To protest Klopp not buying enough players?
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #13084: Aug 10, 2017 08:53:30 pm

Yeah I really don't think this is a case of not wanting to spend or forcing some type of restrictions on who he does buy.

Everything I have read and heard makes it pretty clear that while Mike Gordon is top dog at LFC...Jürgen is the one that everybody else answers too.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #13085: Aug 10, 2017 09:23:19 pm

No sorry, what I mean't was the fans where protesting against FSG plans to increase ticket prices from £58. FSG changed their minds after the walk out, if I can remember correctly.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #13086: Aug 10, 2017 09:55:54 pm
      No sorry, what I mean't was the fans where protesting against FSG plans to increase ticket prices from £58. FSG changed their minds after the walk out, if I can remember correctly.

What does that have to do with anything we are talking about?

Quick Reply