Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1518714 times
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #13869: Sep 21, 2017 06:16:52 pm
      One of the main reasons we brought in a top manager (big name!) was that he'd be able to stand up to the TC, not just select from the a la carte. And having done so in Germany, to identify his own targets and use his influence to bring them in, with the lure of CL footy. Jürgen was happy to say he had full control over transfers, and tho you can decide how true that is, I'd have to think when he is given more say in transfers than BR was. Whatever that means, but anyway..
      Even if the WHOLE list of names presented by TC was sh*te, am sure if Jürgen and staff had a reasonable transfer proposition, it would've had a good chance of going thro IF you believe FSG had made more money available this summer than in previous summers, and based on some of the bids, I believe they DID.
      We fu**ed up on VVD, and Leipzig dug in. Ended up we signed one defensive player, who doesn't appear to be 1st choice. And arguably moved on our best CB. Which unfortunately leaves a soggy turd in Jürgen's lap.
      The comments about nobody better out there didn't help. And tho can accept that was 'just something managers say that isn't really true and is for a certain audience", and most people reckon the comments are off the wall, the fact that we didn't sign replacements kinda backs the comments up, which is pause for thought.

With the players we have in defense, hard to see us cutting out mistakes, given we've had a couple of years to do it already and haven't. Unless Jürgen goes 5 at the back, or some tactical change (which would need time to bed in), remains to be seen.
      Anyway, it's still early days in the season.
      A la Barca, best option is likely to continue to defend from the front. Don't mind the lads back there, the lads up top will keep the ball the other end.
      Perfect example, the game (shambles) vs Leicester (2nd team). First half, we looked like Barca at the back (and said so in the match thread!). 2nd half, Cou has a wash, and it's a warzone back there.
      Get Cou firing, and our first choice front men, Lallana back, we'll 'protect' the back 5 by keeping the f**king ball away from them.
      Having our best front men on the pitch is our best defensive option ;)
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #13870: Sep 21, 2017 06:24:21 pm
      What a difference one proper nasty b***ard in the back 6 would make in this team.

It's not about the captain it's about character.

Kopite78
      Reply #13871: Sep 21, 2017 10:13:30 pm
      Some of you's are proper embarrassing and are the epitome of everything that's wrong with football nowadays.

I'm gutted you talk for us as a set of fans who used to get 'it'
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #13872: Sep 21, 2017 10:41:26 pm
      Love Jürgen. Think he has done good things and bad things in his time here so far.

PROS
      Two cup finals in first season. I know we lost both but still, it was progress.
      Top four last season. In a league with the two Manchester clubs, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs it will be a struggle every season to be in it.
      Record against the big teams. Bar our loss this season at the Etihad our record in general has been superb.
      Style of football. We all enjoy it for most parts I think.
      His passion and charisma. His big name attraction making players like Keita and Van Dijk want Liverpool over rivals even if we only secured one for next season.
      Holding firm on Coutinho.
      Improving players like Lallana, Firmino and Can

CONS
      Set pieces. I hide behind the couch or my pint everytime I see an opposiition corner or free kick. Terrible. No improvements since Brendan.
      Number of goals we concede. Its not just the back five that are at fault. Our entire set up can leave us vulnerable and especially on the counter. Probably gone backwards since Brendan.
      Selling of Sakho. Grand you don't like him Jürgen but Jesus Christ Ragnar Klavan as your alternative. Give me a f**king break.
      Substitutions. Waits too long. For example, last week at home to Burnley our first sub was the 79th minute.

Overall, I think he is doing well and I still believe we will have a somewhat successful season.

Just please in January sign a centre half! Anyone. Someone.

The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #13873: Sep 22, 2017 12:12:16 am
      Why did he do it?............he doesn't rate it as high as you, esp when he will have posters like you slating him for not achieving Top 4 and bombing out of the CL.

Just look at the reserve team Utd put tonight out compared to ours!

That's what Klopp has to compete against.
      And how many windows has Klopp had to buy players...? Even in this window, We buy Salah,Solanke,Robertson then waste £40 m on the Ox, One first team player two with potential and one third/forth tier player who lumbers about like his name sake...
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #13874: Sep 22, 2017 12:22:25 am
      And how many windows has Klopp had to buy players...? Even in this window, We buy Salah,Solanke,Robertson then waste £40 m on the Ox, One first team player two with potential and one third/forth tier player who lumbers about like his name sake...

6 games in & your already writing Ox off? Come on mate, being unrealistic & unfair to the Boss & lad..

We are going through a blip, Chavs, Citeh had theirs early on last season & finished strong.. Just wait a little before you judge.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #13875: Sep 22, 2017 12:29:15 am
      Love Jürgen. Think he has done good things and bad things in his time here so far.

PROS
      Top four last season. In a league with the two Manchester clubs, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs it will be a struggle every season to be in it.
      Record against the big teams. Bar our loss this season at the Etihad our record in general has been superb.
      His passion and charisma. His big name attraction making players like Keita and Van Dijk want Liverpool over rivals even if we only secured one for next season.

CONS
      Set pieces. I hide behind the couch or my pint everytime I see an opposiition corner or free kick. Terrible. No improvements since Brendan.
      Number of goals we concede. Its not just the back five that are at fault. Our entire set up can leave us vulnerable and especially on the counter. Probably gone backwards since Brendan.
      Selling of Sakho. Grand you don't like him Jürgen but Jesus Christ Ragnar Klavan as your alternative. Give me a f**king break.
      Substitutions. Waits too long. For example, last week at home to Burnley our first sub was the 79th minute.

Overall, I think he is doing well and I still believe we will have a somewhat successful season.

I do not want to be nasty, and I truly mean this when I say no offence to you, but F**k of with the pros and cons....
      I am at the stage with Klopp where I feel that he is beginning to sound like Boris Johnson babbling away trying to justify his bad choices when we all know that he as made them...

There are many things that I like about Jürgen Klopp, but my patience with him and some of his choices are wearing a bit thin... Get a F**k defensive coach in, Two CB's If you have to trade Lovren and money for VVD do it, but no more excuses
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #13876: Sep 22, 2017 12:47:31 am
      6 games in & your already writing Ox off? Come on mate, being unrealistic & unfair to the Boss & lad..

We are going through a blip, Chavs, Citeh had theirs early on last season & finished strong.. Just wait a little before you judge.

From the time that we were linked to him I knew, and said that he brings nothing to the team except to warm the bench... He was sh*t for Arsenal why the F**k would you bring him to Liverpool.... can't find the quote but I am sure Wenger was saying that had not improved last season and was looking to sell him...

Found this 

"Given Arsenal’s struggles in midfield over the last few seasons, it does not say much for Oxlade-Chamberlain that he has failed to make any of those roles his own. He is still, at 24, a player who relies on his speed and power rather than great reading of the game. He should be dangerous in the final third but has only scored nine goals for Arsenal.

Wenger himself grew frustrated with Oxlade-Chamberlain’s lack of development and Arsenal were open to offers for him since half-way through last season. They would have sold him last summer if only the player wanted to go."
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #13877: Sep 22, 2017 01:15:05 am

PROS

CONS

You forgot spending only twelve million on an inherrited dysfunctional defence since he arrived. Not good enough by any stretch of the imagination. However, spending money on anyone, someone in January isn't the answer to our problems and may well compound them. This is a fix that needs to be done correctly, not through panic buying.

From the time that we were linked to him I knew, and said that he brings nothing to the team except to warm the bench... He was sh*t for Arsenal why the f**k would you bring him to Liverpool.... can't find the quote but I am sure Wenger was saying that had not improved last season and was looking to sell him...

Found this 

"Given Arsenal’s struggles in midfield over the last few seasons, it does not say much for Oxlade-Chamberlain that he has failed to make any of those roles his own. He is still, at 24, a player who relies on his speed and power rather than great reading of the game. He should be dangerous in the final third but has only scored nine goals for Arsenal.

Wenger himself grew frustrated with Oxlade-Chamberlain’s lack of development and Arsenal were open to offers for him since half-way through last season. They would have sold him last summer if only the player wanted to go."

You know, it really isn't his fault he's not a defender called Van Dyke. Yes we shouldn't have signed him but he's here now so you need to give the lad a chance to adapt to our style of play and prove he's capable of kicking his career on with us. It is in our interests you know.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #13878: Sep 22, 2017 07:15:34 am
      Have steered clear of this place for a few days. I know we've come a bit unstuck in recent games but it was only four games ago that we put four past the gooners. It's hardly the BIG crisis that so many are many it out to be? At least not yet.

- We got thumped by City playing with ten men for nearly an hour.
      - We drew with a three time Europa Leage winning Sevilla in our first Champions League game in 4 years
      - We drew with Burnley in the EPL but this lot have won at Chelsea and drawn at Spurs. They are no pushovers
      - our ressies lost in the League Cup to Leicesters ressies.

That idiot Alan Brazil asked the bookies for a price on Klopp being the next man out on talk sport the other morning. It's the hysteria in internet boards like this one that feed the media bullshi....t 
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #13879: Sep 22, 2017 07:30:23 am
      Wow. Few bad results and now he's a 'buffoon' was it.

So much for Liverpool having the smartest fans in the game, our name has been dragged in the dirt by 'buffoons' posting that sh*t.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #13880: Sep 22, 2017 07:44:12 am
      Have steered clear of this place for a few days. I know we've come a bit unstuck in recent games but it was only four games ago that we put four past the gooners. It's hardly the BIG crisis that so many are many it out to be? At least not yet.

- We got thumped by City playing with ten men for nearly an hour.
      - We drew with a three time Europa Leage winning Sevilla in our first Champions League game in 4 years
      - We drew with Burnley in the EPL but this lot have won at Chelsea and drawn at Spurs. They are no pushovers
      - our ressies lost in the League Cup to Leicesters ressies.

That idiot Alan Brazil asked the bookies for a price on Klopp being the next man out on talk sport the other morning. It's the hysteria in internet boards like this one that feed the media bullshi....t 

The idiots like them and the morins who ring phone ins are the one who create this false narrative and the morons in the press and media lap it up despite it not painting a true picture
      Kopite78
      Reply #13881: Sep 22, 2017 08:31:56 am
      The idiots like them and the morins who ring phone ins are the one who create this false narrative and the morons in the press and media lap it up despite it not painting a true picture

Yep

And there's plenty on this board too

Shame for a once great support base
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #13882: Sep 22, 2017 08:48:32 am
      Yep

And there's plenty on this board too

Shame for a once great support base

You ain't seen nothing yet.

You should have seen this place under the previous manager.

That support base you talk of, on the NET especially, evaporated decades ago.
      Kopite78
      Reply #13883: Sep 22, 2017 08:52:20 am

I saw it.
      I think there are still grudges playing out from that time between posters if  truth is told... sad really.

It's mental really. On line it goes back to Rafa, and ironically alot of those pining back to those days were likely slagging Rafa  off back then too.
      The Henderson debate, people seem to have forgotten the stick Gerrard got for years about not being a leader.

🙄
      « Last Edit: Sep 22, 2017 08:56:21 am by Kopite78 »
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #13884: Sep 22, 2017 08:56:41 am

Unfortunately true. At least the worst thing you can say about the current response of some fans is that it's a bit "knee jerkey" and disproportionate to the situation. Please God we don't have to again endure the embarrassment of the personal attacks at every turn, the character assassination and pitch forking of the mob.

It's going to be a very tough season, anybody can see that already. Jürgen gambled everything on waiting for VVD and Kieta. If people think that wasn't a gamble worth taking, or that he should go because of it then they are entitled to say so. I don't think that, but each to their own.

He isn't a "buffoon" though, grow up FFS.

redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Reply #13885: Sep 22, 2017 09:04:58 am
      I saw it.
      I think there are still grudges playing out from that time between posters if  truth is told... sad really.

It's mental really. On line it goes back to Rafa, and ironically alot of those pining back to those days were likely slagging Rafa  off back then too.
      The Henderson debate, people seem to have forgotten the stick Gerrard got for years about not being a leader.

🙄

Both victims of relative comparison. Gerrard was compared with Souness and Henderson is being compared with Gerrard.

One odd person with one odd post here and there.. Honestly, I believe it shouldn't be generalized. People hated Brendan because he replaced Kenny. And, I guess the personal prejudice is unfortunately rising its head when it comes to Klopp.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #13886: Sep 22, 2017 12:30:04 pm
      Embarrassing some of you lot fortunately it's 20 or so idiots on a F***ing Internet forum.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,965 posts | 3944 
      Reply #13887: Sep 22, 2017 01:12:37 pm
      Unfortunately true. At least the worst thing you can say about the current response of some fans is that it's a bit "knee jerkey" and disproportionate to the situation. Please God we don't have to again endure the embarrassment of the personal attacks at every turn, the character assassination and pitch forking of the mob.

It's going to be a very tough season, anybody can see that already. Jürgen gambled everything on waiting for VVD and Kieta. If people think that wasn't a gamble worth taking, or that he should go because of it then they are entitled to say so. I don't think that, but each to their own.

Let's not forget Mick as well as the dickhead mischief makers there will be a good number of JWH&Co supporters in their number.
      Extolling the virtues of the owner's 'business practices' is a definite no no while the very reason for LFC's existence is a casualty and the side goes from one crisis to another.

The solution as ever is blame-deflection although unlike previous scapegoats as can be seen by some posts on this very forum,  Jürgen Klopp is nobody's scapegoat.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #13888: Sep 22, 2017 08:06:48 pm

Mick everyone knows were we are vulnerable ffs, Klopp knows, so why does he not stop making excuses and fix it already,,, Ok he can not bring in anyone until the next window, but before then get a defensive coach in to work on the defense, and come January Have three or four options to go for... we can safely say if we keep  Mane,Firmino and Salah fit we have the front line sorted,Midfield yes, from Henderson back ward that is the problem area for me...

Couple other points, Why when we have a corner we never seem to have someone making a run for the oppositions back post...? Burnley did that twice and almost scored on both occasions

And as for the Buffoon remark. I implied that he was babbling like one trying to defend the un-defenderble, not that he was one
      « Last Edit: Sep 22, 2017 09:23:22 pm by The Real Donavan Ried »
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #13889: Sep 23, 2017 10:27:41 am
      The way I'm squaring the circle is that it's just going to take Jürgen a lot longer to 'get there' than everybody thought [or promised]. If we are to move on, folk actually need to acknowledge that and admit they were wrong.

Jürgen needs, and should be given, time to rectify the obvious mistakes but he also needs to understand that he is swimming with sharks. No more pandering to a failed [football] transfer model which, (just coincidently, mind you 😉) targeted the same VfM players as Rodgers, supposedly,  did... go figure; eh?

Why should he not, unashamedly, use his drawing power [that which we were also promised] to plunder the best in German football instead of bit parts?

Show your teeth big fella, snarl at the sharks and demand more - we will have your back. 😎
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #13890: Sep 23, 2017 11:23:12 am
      The way I'm squaring the circle is that it's just going to take Jürgen a lot longer to 'get there' than everybody thought [or promised]. If we are to move on, folk actually need to acknowledge that and admit they were wrong.

Jürgen needs, and should be given, time to rectify the obvious mistakes but he also needs to understand that he is swimming with sharks. No more pandering to a failed [football] transfer model which, (just coincidently, mind you 😉) targeted the same VfM players as Rodgers, supposedly,  did... go figure; eh?

Why should he not, unashamedly, use his drawing power [that which we were also promised] to plunder the best in German football instead of bit parts?

Show your teeth big fella, snarl at the sharks and demand more - we will have your back. 😎

Pretty much where I am.

I think - though it doesn't feel that way right now on the park - this summer was the start of that "snarl".

He seems to me to have said: -

"We dont need the money for Cou to build the team and we're poorer without so I don't want him sold"

And

"Shove those CBs up your rear - I've told you who I want and he wants Liverpool so I've done my bit, sort it out"

Now whether that / he proves to be short / long sighted remains to be seen.

One thing (to me) certainly seems clear - not selling Cou is different to what we've seen from FSG before and I think you have to give yon big German kudos for that.

* noting that I still thought Cou would be a goner right up to window closing based on past transfer form.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #13891: Sep 23, 2017 11:55:54 am
      At this juncture, I still feel that Klopp is doing a fine job; looking at the big picture; he has to remind himself that he's managing LFC and also to remind himself that no one single player is bigger than the club and those not good enough will be shipped out, no time wasting and that he's on a serious mission here and put it to the players that within 3 years; yes in "in 3 years I want to be champions of the EPL". Based on this very reason that we have been so successful over the years, players not good enough will be shown the door and we used to remind ourselves that in our successful years. Only for Sakho's case he did that and I'm not sure what are the reasons, most probably he has picked the wrong guy to do that and now we needed Sakho more than anything else.

I highly suspect that Klopp has gone on an overdrive gear trying to accommodate the weaknesses/limited ability of the players and yet trying to get them to play to his style. Square pegs and round holes, it simply won't work.  This is going to get nowhere and only gets everyone more frustrated and he finally getting the bullet. Bullet already loaded, just go round elsewhere what other supporters are saying. They are saying almost the same thing here and the way they put it makes us a cultured lot here.

You can almost predict, say what Hendo will do with the ball, sideways or backwards and a rare occassion say 1 in 10 games world class pass. We supporters have said that many times already. Most probably because he does not have the ability, drive or confidence to do that consistently in every game. Hard running for 90 minutes is simply not good enough. If playing beside Steven Gerrard does not improve you as a player, honestly I'm not sure what will. How long more Klopp has to tolerate that? The same for Gini, missing in action most of the games without doing anything useful not sure what we saw in him that we bought him while Can has shown the drive but he is not the fastest around but in all fairness he did try his best. We can't have these players around any longer that made up the numbers and yet trying to accommodate their weaknesses and hope that they will come good one day, the day will never come. Time to pull the plug Klopp. The problem started from midfield; it's a liability and in goes all the way to the defence. Take for instance, teams in the top 4; 1, 2 and 3 passes the ball is in the opponent's box while our midfield have to dally to 10 or 20 passes before that happens and doors are locked and opposition players pushed up and suffocating us. It is not difficult to see why it is so difficult to unlock opposition defence. We have a slow Hendo, MIA Gini and slow Can and 3 of them hardly get anywhere near to the opposition box and none of them is a pure DM that can read the game well and defend the backline.

As such, there is such a big disconnect between our midfield and forward line. Neither anyone of them is a pure DM and they don;t see where real danger is coming. The first ball off the midfielders is to Salah or whoever on the other side to do the offensive work, hardly I see them thrust through the opposition defence from the middle to unlock defences. It's only Cou doing all the work, if we don't have Cou in the lineup we are fecked.  There is no element of surprise as far as the oppo defence is concern. Gini, Hendo and Can is so predictable, "thank you very much" that's what the opposition defenders will think.

To date, Klopp has not shown the brute side of him by selling players not up to the mark and i want to see that for the sake of seeing Klopp being one of the great managers of LFC. Many of us saw the flaws and limitations in the players and no improvement over 2 seasons, yet we still see the same whole lot from last season. How do we expect to improve and how to strike fear into players that they will be sold if they're not good enough? 

In our successful years, we did not  scramble all over Europe for big names, we scouted the lower divisions for players with the right skills, attitude that fit into the system of play/tactics and we had too many to mention here. They weren't the Keitas or VVDs of the football world and these 2 do not need a scouting department just go pally wally with agents, that will do. It's a waste of money having them around, just shut the department to save some dosh. John Aldridge springs to mind, who the heck is this John Aldridse?

Ok, say I'm an armchair critic, I am and I am and not trying to pretend I'm not simply I ant to see Klopp successful here. But I truly fear for Klopp, fearing that he will be sucked into  the weaknesses  or limited ability of the players unconsciously, did nothing over time and eventually cost his job eventually. Perhaps he used the same approach successfully over in Germany, players could have responded well, but the same may not have happened here and he needs to do things differently.

'All said and done, I still think Kopp is a world class manager; and not having too much sentiments attached to players; otherwise; it will cost him dearly.   
      « Last Edit: Sep 23, 2017 12:02:16 pm by redkop63 »

Quick Reply