Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1518304 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #13961: Sep 26, 2017 11:09:25 pm
      No, the part about time to make tough decisions

No one of the lads on here made an opinion that Klopp has to make tough decisons eg drop Bobby stop playing Karius in cl. I just added my 2 cents that thats his job he has to make those calls
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #13962: Sep 27, 2017 04:45:00 am
      Liverpool boss Klopp said: “We are strong enough to qualify. The door is open but we have to walk through. We can see a bit of light. We have to stay cool, work hard and we will be all right.

“We are not the most lucky team in world football but we did very well in creating chances against a defensive oriented team. We could have created more chances that is the crazy thing.

“The only thing is to go through the group and that is still possible for us we would have won both games but didn’t and that is our fault. There were a lot of good things it was not a good result.

“It is a big question why we did not win. We were unlucky, there were good saves from both goalkeepers and wrong decisions at the decisive moment. That is how football is the only way you can change it is to do it again and do it again.

“It is good when you have all these players but it is not lining up the players they all need rhythm and it was a very intense game and it is not about the names it is about how we perform.

“In some moments we performed very well in other moments not we didn’t perform very well. We did not take our chances.”

Klopp was unhappy with Spartak’s opener as he claimed Coutinho did not deserve to be punished for a foul before Fernando’s free kick. “It was not a free kick, it was a great free kick, but it was not a foul,” said Klopp

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/Jürgen-klopp-insists-liverpool-qualify-11243093

I agree with Jürgen that it wasn't a good result.

He also believes that we're not lucky. I have to disagree with him here somewhat. It's no coincidence that you concede sloppy goals and fail to be clinical up the other end to place that all on 'luck'. It's been happening far too often for it to be considered merely luck. Good teams make their own luck and have the personnel to make it seem that way.

But apart from that, I think that is what I'd expect the boss to say so can't disagree with him too much. Apart from the fact he said their free-kick was a great free-kick; wait till he watches the replay you'll know he'll be grinding those gnashers watching it!
      « Last Edit: Sep 27, 2017 06:55:44 am by Beerbelly »
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Reply #13963: Sep 27, 2017 05:47:30 am
      guys we lost one game so far and it was against 10 men. Lets relax a little.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #13964: Sep 27, 2017 07:05:24 am
      Why always the same shape Jürgen? Teams know exactly what they're facing against us there's no element of surprise
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #13965: Sep 27, 2017 07:49:26 am
      Why always the same shape Jürgen? Teams know exactly what they're facing against us there's no element of surprise

How would a new shape mean the players don't miss sitters?

The shape was perfect as we created the chances, the personnel had a off day.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #13966: Sep 27, 2017 08:25:07 am
      I don't think given the draw we got in this competition you could seriously count us as "unlucky". If it's true that Spartak were a "pot one" team, that is truly incredible.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #13967: Sep 27, 2017 08:45:58 am
      I don't think given the draw we got in this competition you could seriously count us as "unlucky". If it's true that Spartak were a "pot one" team, that is truly incredible.

Unlucky is stretching it we have not been unlucky for a whole month.

wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #13968: Sep 27, 2017 09:18:49 am
      Klopp is loosing his battle to manage us.

I want him to fix up and fix up quickly.  Something behind the scenes needs to change and now as we are doing the same mistakes time after time, season after season.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #13969: Sep 27, 2017 09:39:53 am
      The decision not to strengthen where we desperately needed it (CB instead of Ox and a Keeper) is now starting to catch up with him.

Transfers aside, his substitutions, both when to bring them on and who comes on for who, has for the most part, not been good enough either. I hope he realises that now, we also need an out and out striker. Firmino has done well enough up there, but it's not his natural position, and it also looks like Sturridge has lost his edge.

I can't comment on his tactics because I'm not knowledgeable enough to put into words what I feel is wrong with them. But I do feel there is something wrong with them. My fears centre around his tactics being too predictable.

It's easy enough to pick out what is wrong after the fact, but I think I'm right in saying that a lot of us have known for a long time that we have needed a new CB, a new keeper and a recognised number 9. Firmino papered over the cracks for a while, but the cracks are not showing through.

Klopp has his work cut out, yet I do not expect that work to begin in January, and by then we might only have another 4th place in the league to play for. Perhaps VvD comes to us in January along with a new striker. I hope so because the natives are starting to get restless and I think it's somewhat warranted.

As for the game last night (Spartak Moscow) and people thinking the players let him down, well it was Klopp who decided to play Karius, that we don't need a new keeper, and it was Klopp who decided to play Firmino up front, and that we don't need a new striker. Firmino has worked short term, but I guess the longer you persist with players playing out of position, the more they are going to look like a player playing out of position. Perhaps Klopp thinks if he plays him long enough up front that it'll become his new natural position. I can see that working, but I don't think Klopp has the luxury of time to see that option work.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #13970: Sep 27, 2017 09:49:19 am
      Klopp is loosing his battle to manage us.

I want him to fix up and fix up quickly.  Something behind the scenes needs to change and now as we are doing the same mistakes time after time, season after season.

He's not losing his battle to manage us.

Moreover, he's made his own job much more harder.

I think he's going to endure much of this scrutiny now till the season's end, especially when we drop silly points.

Justifiable IMHO.
      « Last Edit: Sep 27, 2017 10:27:00 am by Beerbelly »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #13971: Sep 27, 2017 12:07:57 pm
      We are built for and for the most part play up an all out attack. Not enough defensive nuance and quality. We are crying out for a VVD or a Vertognen or (insert reasonably qualified CB) to stabilize the backline and we need a more defensive minded midfielder to guard the back four (imo).

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #13972: Sep 27, 2017 12:43:53 pm
      Some people just want to moan when there are far more concerning things going on the world.

Jaffa Cakes boxes have shrunk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBCq8XDgrP0
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #13973: Sep 27, 2017 09:39:20 pm
      Apart from the fact he said their free-kick was a great free-kick; wait till he watches the replay you'll know he'll be grinding those gnashers watching it!

He keeps starting Karius in matches, he won't be the only one grinding his gnashers  :stress_h4h:
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #13974: Sep 27, 2017 10:18:49 pm
      If you don't have all the information Klopp has (and none of us do), then talking about "mistakes" is either pointless speculation or arrogance.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #13975: Sep 27, 2017 10:57:26 pm
      Were too unbalanced as team you need forward get your 20 goal season and solid defense and defense midfielder like kante look at cu*ts utd they got lot sh*t players not world class but got solid defense and class defense midfielder and forward get your goals simple really football
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #13976: Sep 27, 2017 11:00:47 pm
      Just can't understand why we did not buy better cbacks and one good defense midfielder and forward we so short about 5 players get back to fright for league title or winning cups
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #13977: Sep 27, 2017 11:15:27 pm
      Just can't understand why we did not buy better cbacks and one good defense midfielder and forward we so short about 5 players get back to fright for league title or winning cups

Because I suspect Klopp still doesn't fully understand the Premier League. He wants to focus on development through the training ground but you simply do not have enough time to do that in our league. It's why we tend to buy more finished product players over here than they do in other countries. Until he learns this he'll continue to fail.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #13978: Sep 27, 2017 11:50:49 pm
      The decision not to strengthen where we desperately needed it (CB instead of Ox and a Keeper) is now starting to catch up with him.

Why do people always think it was A-OX OR a CB? It had been made very clear at the start of the transfer period by both the manager and the owners that money was available. We were clearly chasing a CB to strenghten the back four. Due to circumstances we didn't manage to bring in the one Klopp desperately wanted and he didn't want to settle for an other one because he felt they wouldn't suit the system well enough. The fact that we brought in A-OX has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that we didn't bring in a CB.

Transfers aside, his substitutions, both when to bring them on and who comes on for who, has for the most part, not been good enough either. I hope he realises that now, we also need an out and out striker. Firmino has done well enough up there, but it's not his natural position, and it also looks like Sturridge has lost his edge.

I have the same issue with his substitutions most of the time (more the timing rather than who he brings on). I think that Klopp is getting close to his 'perfect' starting eleven (other than Van Dijk / Keita), but that his bench, which looks strong in terms of names to us, isn't yet what he is looking for. What we often see when he does make substitutions, is that the players coming in disrupt the rhythm in which we were playing. The team often seems to have that issue when we make a change to the front three or one of the #8 midfielders.

I can't comment on his tactics because I'm not knowledgeable enough to put into words what I feel is wrong with them. But I do feel there is something wrong with them. My fears centre around his tactics being too predictable.

The thing with regards to the tactics / system is that we still haven't seen a full Klopp team at work. We're still missing some vital pieces and the injuries to Lallana and Clyne certainly aren't helping either. We've seen glimpses of what we are capable of completely ripping teams apart, but there's still so much room for improvement. If there's one thing I don't worry about at all, it's the tactics and the system. And if the tactics are too predictable, then why do we keep creating chance after chance? It doesn't matter if your tactics are 'predictable' or not if they are executed to (near) perfection. Barcelona were probably one of the most predictable teams of the last decade. Everyone knew exactly what they were going to do, yet very few teams were able to stop them. Why? They executed it to perfection. We're not near perfection yet, but that's what Klopp is aiming for here. The tactics / system are very complex and we'll see plenty of mistakes being made, but once we're near the finished article, boy, we'll be devastating. I just hope both the fans and the media allow Klopp to do his work here. He still only just started his second full season here.

Not going to comment on the player comments, that's for their respective player threads.
      « Last Edit: Sep 28, 2017 12:01:24 am by Danzel »
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #13979: Sep 27, 2017 11:59:25 pm
      We're not near perfection yet, but that's what Klopp is aiming for here. The tactics / system are very complex and we'll see plenty of mistakes being made, but once we're near the finished article, boy, we'll be devastating. I just hope both the fans and the media allow Klopp to do his work here. He still only just started his second full season here.

A good post mate but highlighted this bit as the media impatience and will to push narratives is beyond obvious, I just don't understand it from our own fan base.

Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #13980: Sep 28, 2017 12:28:21 am
      A good post mate but highlighted this bit as the media impatience and will to push narratives is beyond obvious, I just don't understand it from our own fan base.

The media and their role has been nothing short of utterly embarrassing. I'm not surprised at all Klopp has looked a bit 'off' the past few weeks and he was visibly annoyed by the questions during the pre-match press conference in Moscow. The fight against the media is one you'll never win, as many managers before Klopp have found out. I just hope he doesn't let it get to him.

It's not only to Klopp though, the media seem to have a general disliking for any foreign manager trying something new in the league that they can't seem to get their simple heads around. The scrutiny and pressure for example Pep Guardiola was under last season when trying to implement his own style of play was absolutely ridiculous too. "This isn't La Liga, this isn't the Bundesliga." One season later he's beating teams 4-0, 5-0, 6-0 left, right and centre both in the PL and in Europe. He worked hard on the training pitch and brought in the players he needed to play his system. Granted he was able to do it quicker than Klopp has been able to so far, but Klopp doesn't have endless bags of money at his disposal and it will take longer.

Something else that annoys me is the general standard of punditry and analysts.

There's four groups of pundits:

- Failed managers or managers that are out of a job
      - Players with a sh*t or average playing career (Jenas and Savage are prime exampels)
      - Journalists who haven't managed a bloody day in their life
      - A very, very small group of, usually ex-(top)players or guest commentators who have something of significance to add to the discussion

Yet they are the ones we should believe or listen to when commenting on teams' defensive or attacking woes? The worst thing is, people actually believe the fuckers. "When I was a player, we would do it likes this!" Well yeah, that's bloody F***ing over a decade ago when you were defending with your arse sat on the backline and hadn't even heard of the word "gegenpress". All they do is just point out the blatantly obvious without ever looking at what might be underlying issues, other mistakes higher up the pitch, ... and get handsomely paid for just spouting sh*t in general. All they ever get to is: it's poor marking, it's poor defending, the goalkeeper made a mistake. Well jeez thank you Captain Obvious. Most of them just haven't got a clue what managers like Guardiola and Klopp are trying to do.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #13981: Sep 28, 2017 12:59:19 am
      The media and their role has been nothing short of utterly embarrassing. I'm not surprised at all Klopp has looked a bit 'off' the past few weeks and he was visibly annoyed by the questions during the pre-match press conference in Moscow. The fight against the media is one you'll never win, as many managers before Klopp have found out. I just hope he doesn't let it get to him.

It's not only to Klopp though, the media seem to have a general disliking for any foreign manager trying something new in the league that they can't seem to get their simple heads around. The scrutiny and pressure for example Pep Guardiola was under last season when trying to implement his own style of play was absolutely ridiculous too. "This isn't La Liga, this isn't the Bundesliga." One season later he's beating teams 4-0, 5-0, 6-0 left, right and centre both in the PL and in Europe. He worked hard on the training pitch and brought in the players he needed to play his system. Granted he was able to do it quicker than Klopp has been able to so far, but Klopp doesn't have endless bags of money at his disposal and it will take longer.

Something else that annoys me is the general standard of punditry and analysts.

There's four groups of pundits:

- Failed managers or managers that are out of a job
      - Players with a sh*t or average playing career (Jenas and Savage are prime exampels)
      - Journalists who haven't managed a bloody day in their life
      - A very, very small group of, usually ex-(top)players or guest commentators who have something of significance to add to the discussion

Yet they are the ones we should believe or listen to when commenting on teams' defensive or attacking woes? The worst thing is, people actually believe the fuckers. "When I was a player, we would do it likes this!" Well yeah, that's bloody f**king over a decade ago when you were defending with your arse sat on the backline and hadn't even heard of the word "gegenpress". All they do is just point out the blatantly obvious without ever looking at what might be underlying issues, other mistakes higher up the pitch, ... and get handsomely paid for just spouting sh*t in general. All they ever get to is: it's poor marking, it's poor defending, the goalkeeper made a mistake. Well jeez thank you Captain Obvious. Most of them just haven't got a clue what managers like Guardiola and Klopp are trying to do.

Agree completely with every word of this. To be honest I catch nearly all my streams now through American network TV, couldn't tell you which one as i really couldn't care less but I do get to hear a lot of commentary by Lee Dixon and while he's heavily Arsenal biased, through his own admission and with good reason I find his some of the more informed and insightful to listen to. He doesn't offer the tried and trusted cliches but delves deeper than the obvious that I find infuriating to listen to.

As you say, far too many captain obvious' about and so many in fact that when you say something that isn't you often feel the need to clarify your approach so that it's not met with the obvious rebuttal, such as in the Sturridge discussions you rightly delved into tonight. People expecting XYZ all the time because things can't evolve and things can't different than what they're told to expect from the poorly selected few.

Just to touch on the foreign manager's angle too, I feel there's an element in our own support group too who find fault easier to point at when it isn't 'best of british' and it's poor form, again possibly being led from those poorly selected few but it's something that needs tackling because there's a reason the English national team falls on it's face with regularity and the English/British do have plenty of learning to do.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #13982: Sep 28, 2017 01:17:32 am
      Why do people always think it was A-OX OR a CB? It had been made very clear at the start of the transfer period by both the manager and the owners that money was available. We were clearly chasing a CB to strenghten the back four. Due to circumstances we didn't manage to bring in the one Klopp desperately wanted and he didn't want to settle for an other one because he felt they wouldn't suit the system well enough. The fact that we brought in A-OX has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that we didn't bring in a CB.

That's precisely the issue. The very notion that there wasn't someone available out there who could improve upon what we have, a notion that is completely and utterly ridiculous. Everyone, Journalists, Pundits, Supporters all said going into this season with what we had would come back to haunt us. Klopp said "No, what we have is great, it's fantastic, it'll get us through the season no problem". We didn't even get past the first game before it came back to haunt us, and rather than spend forty million quid on a half decent center back, someone who could at the very least be an upgraded third choice over Klavan, we not only spent it on a utility midfielder, the last type of player this squad needed, we also got rid of an above average defender and arguably the best we had in the squad. So not only did Klopp not strengthen a key area and the biggest weakness in the squad, he actually weakened it.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #13983: Sep 28, 2017 01:18:57 am
      That's precisely the issue. The very notion that there wasn't someone available out there, who could improve upon what we have, a notion that is completely and utterly ridiculous. Everyone, Journalists, Pundits, Supporters all said going into this season with what we had would come back to haunt us. Klopp said "No, what we have is great, it's fantastic, it'll get us through the season no problem". We didn't even get past the first game before it came back to haunt us, and rather than spend forty million quid on a half decent center back, someone who could at the very least be an upgraded third choice over Klavan, we not only spent it on a utility midfielder, the last type of player this squad needed, we also got rid of an above average defender and arguably the best we had in the squad. So not only did Klopp not strengthen a key area and the biggest weakness in the squad, he actually weakened it.

AOC was bought independent of CB issues, we needed cover in the wide areas and in AM. We started the season without an AM, suggesting we didn't need cover there is nuts. Whether AOC was the right choice is a different matter, time will tell on that one.

As for the CB issue, Jürgen had his mind set on VvD, probably said to him "you're my man!" and followed through on that loyalty, if we eventually get him that loyalty from both sides will be repaid, if we never get him then we've suffered because of it in the interim (until we move on).

It's fine, I can see with some fans he's on a hiding to nothing until he gets it perfect, you'd think when he took over we were in a position of strength, that we weren't playing such a difficult catch up job, but no, deliver NOW Jürgen!!! None of this building the perfect team that can compete against teams who can buy anyone, don't you realise this?!?! (last paragraph may contain certain elements of sarcasm).

Quick Reply