Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1526694 times
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #13984: Sep 28, 2017 01:41:47 am
      Because I suspect Klopp still doesn't fully understand the Premier League. He wants to focus on development through the training ground but you simply do not have enough time to do that in our league. It's why we tend to buy more finished product players over here than they do in other countries. Until he learns this he'll continue to fail.

You can rest assured he does fully understand the Premier League. Just because the majority of the pundits, supporters and journalists think the Premier League is the best league in the world and that things can only be done in one way, the right way, the English way, doesn't mean Klopp has to change his methods or the way he sees the game.

The thing I put in bold is the exact thing that is wrong with the Premier League and the exact reason why England is miles behind countries like Spain and Germany where both managers and players are allowed the time to develop and make mistakes without being instantly written off by the media. That's a concern for the whole PL and every manager out there. We should be praising Klopp (and other managers that do) that he is trying to develop young British players and giving them plenty of opportunities to improve. Talented youngsters like Woodburn, Solanke, Trent and Gomez wouldn't be given a chance otherwise. Yes they'll make mistakes and I've found myself facepalming myself on numerious occasions when watching Gomez and Trent defend, but I don't care if they make mistakes. They're young, they will improve. I'd rather see our youngsters make mistakes than see us bring in the next unknown player for £30 million.

It's not only youngsters, just players in general are written off so easily. Klopp has improved plenty of players in his time with us. Prime examples being Moreno and Lallana.

That's precisely the issue. The very notion that there wasn't someone available out there who could improve upon what we have, a notion that is completely and utterly ridiculous. Everyone, Journalists, Pundits, Supporters all said going into this season with what we had would come back to haunt us. Klopp said "No, what we have is great, it's fantastic, it'll get us through the season no problem". We didn't even get past the first game before it came back to haunt us, and rather than spend forty million quid on a half decent center back, someone who could at the very least be an upgraded third choice over Klavan, we not only spent it on a utility midfielder, the last type of player this squad needed, we also got rid of an above average defender and arguably the best we had in the squad. So not only did Klopp not strengthen a key area and the biggest weakness in the squad, he actually weakened it.

Either I misunderstand your post or you have completely missed the point I made. Wether he spent the £40 million on A-OX or not doesn't matter. Even if we hadn't spent it on A-OX, we still wouldn't have spend it on a CB. The refusal / failure / whatever you want to call it by Klopp to sign a CB, has nothing to do with him deciding he needed cover in multiple positions on the pitch. The fact you think he is the last player we needed, doesn't matter. Both are completely seperate issues. In my opinion he'll prove to be very useful come winter when we have a ton of games to play and when he'll be a lot more familiar with the tactics and team dynamic.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #13985: Sep 28, 2017 01:57:30 am
      The thing I put in bold is the exact thing that is wrong with the Premier League and the exact reason why England is miles behind countries like Spain and Germany where both managers and players are allowed the time to develop and make mistakes without being instantly written off by the media.

Again butchering another good post mate but just to add to this Jürgen had issue recently when he said to a journalist something similar to "you guys think not one single player can improve on the training pitch", he was clearly sick (most likely during the transfer window too) of the constant demand for everything now.

Some of us who've been fans of Jürgen for a long time said the same when he arrived or even prior that he would try to get the most out of what he has, try to coach lads better than look for the answer in the transfer market. He has remarkable faith in his players which of course will occasionally be misplaced, but not often and the pleasure I get watching our lads develop under him is something I feel we have that City/Chelsea/United never will have again. If we're patient with him, if we're patient with the group we have coming through then we might just do something very special, but it does require patience.

The more we, as his key strength in all this, berate him and demand more, quicker the more the media will push the narrative and the more you'll get those idiots like you heard calling into radio stations. There isn't a single doubt in my mind he'll get it right if we give him support and patience. The reason I state this alongside the media is because I think he can feel the angst and impatience among the crowd and that will frustrate him more than anything, he can be the shield for the players from the media, he can't be the shield from his/our own fans.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #13986: Sep 28, 2017 02:30:21 pm
      https://twitter.com/MirrorFootball/status/913394586684452866

Thought I'd put this in here because people might want to consider what would happen if they came for Jürgen and he said yes. Where would we be heading and where would he?

I don't think he'd go, but I do think they'll go after him.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #13987: Sep 28, 2017 02:34:48 pm

Yeah, think they'd be after him and yeah I think he would go if they did.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #13988: Sep 28, 2017 02:36:34 pm
      You can rest assured he does fully understand the Premier League. Just because the majority of the pundits, supporters and journalists think the Premier League is the best league in the world and that things can only be done in one way, the right way, the English way, doesn't mean Klopp has to change his methods or the way he sees the game.

The thing I put in bold is the exact thing that is wrong with the Premier League and the exact reason why England is miles behind countries like Spain and Germany where both managers and players are allowed the time to develop and make mistakes without being instantly written off by the media. That's a concern for the whole PL and every manager out there. We should be praising Klopp (and other managers that do) that he is trying to develop young British players and giving them plenty of opportunities to improve. Talented youngsters like Woodburn, Solanke, Trent and Gomez wouldn't be given a chance otherwise. Yes they'll make mistakes and I've found myself facepalming myself on numerious occasions when watching Gomez and Trent defend, but I don't care if they make mistakes. They're young, they will improve. I'd rather see our youngsters make mistakes than see us bring in the next unknown player for £30 million.

It's not only youngsters, just players in general are written off so easily. Klopp has improved plenty of players in his time with us. Prime examples being Moreno and Lallana.

Either I misunderstand your post or you have completely missed the point I made. Wether he spent the £40 million on A-OX or not doesn't matter. Even if we hadn't spent it on A-OX, we still wouldn't have spend it on a CB. The refusal / failure / whatever you want to call it by Klopp to sign a CB, has nothing to do with him deciding he needed cover in multiple positions on the pitch. The fact you think he is the last player we needed, doesn't matter. Both are completely seperate issues. In my opinion he'll prove to be very useful come winter when we have a ton of games to play and when he'll be a lot more familiar with the tactics and team dynamic.

Danzel, your posts are a pleasure to read.
      Nuanced, insightful and clearly well thought through.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #13989: Sep 28, 2017 02:36:45 pm
      Yeah, think they'd be after him and yeah I think he would go if they did.

You think Jürgen would leave us for them?

I don't think so.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #13990: Sep 28, 2017 02:38:38 pm
      https://twitter.com/MirrorFootball/status/913394586684452866

Thought I'd put this in here because people might want to consider what would happen if they came for Jürgen and he said yes. Where would we be heading and where would he?

Posted a couple of days back that an opening was likely...

Klopp has had interest previously to manage Bayern..

Oh well..

Heads off to the Rafa thread ;D
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #13991: Sep 28, 2017 02:42:23 pm

I don't think so.

I think he might to be honest. Look, unlike his disciples on here who are convinced we are about to turn the corner and conquer the World, I think Jürgen will by now be well aware of what he is up against (I think he knows more about football than them). Yes for sure VVD and Keita may well improve us, but those pesky rivals of ours will probably buy players and improve too. By then we'll have lost Coutinho, and with our budget I'm afraid even getting into the top four regularly takes a massive effort. We are bang up against it (THAT'S WHY I DON'T SLAG Jürgen, NOT BECAUSE HIS POSSE TRY AND BRAINWASH ME EVERY DAY) and the boss will know it. If he were to leave tomorrow it wouldn't be a blot on his record, I think most people would consider he's done at least a pretty decent job.

It wouldn't surprise me if he went, not even 1%.   
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #13992: Sep 28, 2017 02:42:29 pm

I don't think so.

Practically guaranteed Champions League every year.  Biggest club in his native Germany.  Natural progression to the Germany coaching role.  Why wouldn't he go for it?
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #13993: Sep 28, 2017 02:46:10 pm
      Practically guaranteed Champions League every year.  Biggest club in his native Germany.  Natural progression to the Germany coaching role.  Why wouldn't he go for it?
      He has integrity.

Recent history tells us that job is a bit of a revolving door and the opportunity is likely in a few years again. By then he would be well in to his project here.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #13994: Sep 28, 2017 02:49:18 pm
      He has integrity.

Recent history tells us that job is a bit of a revolving door and the opportunity is likely in a few years again. By then he would be well in to his project here.

Hopefully you're right, but I don't think "integrity" is the issue. He is German and they are THE behemoth club over there, one of Europes most successful and biggest. Put it this way, I hope he doesn't take it but I for one wouldn't be accusing him of lacking "integrity" if he did.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #13995: Sep 28, 2017 02:50:55 pm

He'll stay to do what he started, he'll fulfil his commitment to his players (Keita included) and the loyalty he's steeped in. I'm not saying he wont be tempted, who wouldn't be, to turn your back on something as difficult as managing us to something as relatively simple in managing Bayern might look like a breeze right now. To say goodbye to the media hounds who are rabid for it right now in a simple, positive way, a bit of "I'm alright jack" about it.

I don't think he will though, when he gets it right here, that will be an achievement the likes of Guardiola and Mourinho outside of Porto wont be able to state. It'll mean so much more, but will be harder and I think that's the choice he has to make, the easy road and ditch the hounds, or the tougher choice with the bigger rewards. I think he'll surprise people again and stay exactly where he is.

I hope so anyway, dread to think who we'd go for if he left.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #13996: Sep 28, 2017 02:53:26 pm
      I don't think he would take it, the f**ker is crazy as us & when we are are on form there is no better place to be...

Nah he ain't going.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #13997: Sep 28, 2017 02:54:34 pm
      He'll stay to do what he started, he'll fulfil his commitment to his players (Keita included) and the loyalty he's steeped in. I'm not saying he wont be tempted, who wouldn't be, to turn your back on something as difficult as managing us to something as relatively simple in managing Bayern might look like a breeze right now. To say goodbye to the media hounds who are rabid for it right now in a simple, positive way, a bit of "I'm alright jack" about it.

I don't think he will though, when he gets it right here, that will be an achievement the likes of Guardiola and Mourinho outside of Porto wont be able to state. It'll mean so much more, but will be harder and I think that's the choice he has to make, the easy road and ditch the hounds, or the tougher choice with the bigger rewards. I think he'll surprise people again and stay exactly where he is.

I hope so anyway, dread to think who we'd go for if he left.

Ancellotti or that Tushell bloke hopefully. In all probability though it'll be the fella at Watford (who is a decent manager to be fair).
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #13998: Sep 28, 2017 02:56:42 pm
      Ancellotti or that Tushell bloke hopefully. In all probability though it'll be the fella at Watford (who is a decent manager to be fair).

Nagelsmann or Tuchel would be my bet, can't believe he's 1/4, I thought he'd be a good outside bet. That's nuts.

For us, I'm going to leave it with Jürgen's staying and the betting markets (at the moment) seem to suggest that.
      « Last Edit: Sep 28, 2017 03:03:14 pm by KopiteLuke »
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #13999: Sep 28, 2017 03:02:12 pm
      This is nonsense talk.

We don't have the information at hand to know what Jürgen is going to do.

Let's shut that talk down to.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #14000: Sep 28, 2017 03:04:45 pm
      This is nonsense talk.

We don't have the information at hand to know what Jürgen is going to do.

Let's shut that talk down to.

;D it's all just speck you lay tion.
      Harrisimo

• 8,180 posts | 1385 
      Reply #14001: Sep 28, 2017 03:15:51 pm
      Bound to be linked with the BM job and Jürgen is bound to have his head turned slightly. He might have designs on the job somewhere down the line and it might cross his mind that if it all goes pear shaped here then that might impact on his chances of the BM job in the future.

He will be asked about the job by the media and will probably swot them off. Can't see him putting in a transfer request and we won't be getting £100m+.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,911 posts | 4979 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #14002: Sep 28, 2017 03:24:21 pm
      Nein,
      Its not in his make up to leave a project half arsed, he will stay loyal to his commitment and see the job through, he's a builder of sides rather than have everything at his disposal , anyhoo I'd have thought Klinsman would be a more apt candidate ?

YNWA
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,974 posts | 237 
      Reply #14003: Sep 28, 2017 03:24:46 pm
      During the Coutinho fiasco, Jürgen said he wouldn't  leave midway through a season or during the start of a season leaving the club in a lurch (don't remember the exact words). Honourable man that he is, I would expect him to honour those words if left to him.

Luke, I see what you are doing here. :D
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #14004: Sep 28, 2017 03:39:40 pm

Loyalty. And if he doesn't have that, I've misread the man.
      Harrisimo

• 8,180 posts | 1385 
      Reply #14005: Sep 28, 2017 03:39:55 pm
      Kenny and his Mrs haven't booked themselves on to one of them cruises have they........just checking..
      ruthcity

• 6,929 posts | 1477 
      Reply #14006: Sep 28, 2017 03:41:29 pm
      No I can't take another transfer request no more.

Doom merchants will have a field day. He can't fix the defence, no transfer plan B. Better off gone.

I seriously believe there could be pact between VVD and Jürgen that they have promised each other to link up in the subsequent windows and hence no other offers will be explored or considered by either side. We shall see...

Quick Reply