Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1530293 times
      Kopite78
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #15180: Dec 15, 2017 12:42:29 pm
      or compete in a tennis tournament or cycling. Footballers have a very very easy life.

What happens if a tennis player is carrying an injury? Or recovering from one? He's at 60% but his opponent is at 90%? It's a leveller.
      Look at Murray, he's been carrying an injury all year and has dropped like a stone in the rankings. Last year he competed in far too many competitions (by his own opinion) to make sure he finished No.1 in the  ranking at year end. Look what that's done to his body this year, he can't get on the court, and when he does he isn't fit and is losing games to players who couldn't touch him if he was fit.

I'll say again, it's not just being 'fit' they're all for fit and I'd imagine the vast majority of players would play every week.. But but its for against their contempories

Money has nothing to do with it

Someone else mentioned marathon runners, well that's another rubbish comparison, marathon runners don't run 25 marathons and then turn up on the day to run their 26th.. They taper up, rarely ever getting to the full distance. If they did they'd be fu**ed on the day and be pissed  on by a better prepared runner at peak fitness. Not one who's run themselves flat and turning up way below 100%
      « Last Edit: Dec 15, 2017 12:49:41 pm by Kopite78 »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #15181: Dec 15, 2017 01:04:40 pm
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #15182: Dec 15, 2017 03:36:07 pm
      What happens if a tennis player is carrying an injury? Or recovering from one? He's at 60% but his opponent is at 90%? It's a leveller.
      Look at Murray, he's been carrying an injury all year and has dropped like a stone in the rankings. Last year he competed in far too many competitions (by his own opinion) to make sure he finished No.1 in the  ranking at year end. Look what that's done to his body this year, he can't get on the court, and when he does he isn't fit and is losing games to players who couldn't touch him if he was fit.

I'll say again, it's not just being 'fit' they're all for fit and I'd imagine the vast majority of players would play every week.. But but its for against their contempories

Money has nothing to do with it

Someone else mentioned marathon runners, well that's another rubbish comparison, marathon runners don't run 25 marathons and then turn up on the day to run their 26th.. They taper up, rarely ever getting to the full distance. If they did they'd be fu**ed on the day and be pissed  on by a better prepared runner at peak fitness. Not one who's run themselves flat and turning up way below 100%

But in Tennis, especially the slams, a pro tennis player will play 7 matches in 2 weeks, some of them very gruelling physically. I'll admit tennis isn't a contact sport like football but in all other regards it is tougher physically than football with sprints form side to side forward to back plus hitting the ball as hard as you can incl serves. My question is how can tennis players cope with that when footballers can't cope with two 90 minute matches per week in a team sport where most of the time they are jogging about with occasional sprints.
      Kopite78
      Reply #15183: Dec 15, 2017 03:55:26 pm
      But in Tennis, especially the slams, a pro tennis player will play 7 matches in 2 weeks, some of them very gruelling physically. I'll admit tennis isn't a contact sport like football but in all other regards it is tougher physically than football with sprints form side to side forward to back plus hitting the ball as hard as you can incl serves. My question is how can tennis players cope with that when footballers can't cope with two 90 minute matches per week in a team sport where most of the time they are jogging about with occasional sprints.

Because by its very nature football is more a 'marathon' than a sprint like your tennis would be

Tennis is a two week slam and by pure science the players who go all the way Will pretty much fatigue at similar levels.

If you wanted to get all the football teams to agree never to rotate over the season then in theory the sane would happen.

You guys talk like we are the only team to rotate. Go look at De Bruyne, Sterling and Silvas minutes and say they don't rotate and do what we are doing.

As I said it's against their contempories not individually
      Tennis players who all play 7 games in 2 weeks together fatigue to a similar level. Footballers are the same but it's over a longer period and teams rotate at different times as it's a 9 month competition rather than a 2 week one

If all clubs didn't rotate and you had the same 11s all season for 9 months you'd have loads more injuries and the game would visibly become slower through the 9 months
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #15184: Dec 15, 2017 05:11:44 pm
      I'll concede we have been better defensively of late but then again we have been playing weaker more defensive opposition, the one game against a good team we shipped in 3 goals in one half and went from a solid win to a hang on for a draw. Tell me how Klopp changed to Plan B against Sevilla? Would it not have perhaps made sense at half time to switch to a defensive system and see out the game?
      BTW I really did not notice a huge tactical shift in the second half against West Brom but if there was one it didn't work as we created less in the second half than we did in the first. a big tactical shift would have been to go more direct with Solanke as a target man, its the kind of thing Manure do with Fellaini and it works more often than not.
      regarding the subs you know damned well that Klopp almost always waits to long to make subs, ask yourself how often a sub makes any difference to the scoreline for us, we almost never score a late goal in the way that a Citeh, Manure or Arsenal do.

Again, I must ask if you actually watch the games or not. First of all, a 'plan B' usually consists of using the players already on the pitch and setting them up slightly differently. Using substitutions is already 'plan C' or 'plan D'.

The Sevilla game:

How many big chances from open play (because that's what you're looking at if you want to see a change in defensive set-up) did Sevilla create in the second half of the game compared to the first half of the game? Of the top of my head, I think they created three (maybe two?) very big chances in the first half. How many did they create in the second half? I don't remember many, if any, yet we did concede two goals early on. A set piece (it was a perfectly taken one to be fair) and a penalty. Nothing to do with our shape or how we set up. Straight after we conceded the second goal, Klopp made two substitutions: Milner for Moreno and Can for Coutinho. He set up more defensively and it did actually help, Can made us more solid and we didn't give away anything in terms of chances from open play. We conceded again from a corner (poorly defended one I have to admit).

None of the goals we conceded had anything to do with our defensive shape or 'lack of a defensive plan', there was a plan straight after we conceded the second one. It worked. That's football for you. You set up better defensively, give away less (big) chances, yet you concede three goals.

The West-Brom game:

How did it not work and how did we create less in the second half than in the first half?

The only chance we created in the first half was the Firmino one and Salah who came short for a cross from Trent.

Second half: Mane's shot that missed the target (difficult, but should hit the target), Salah coming short for another good ball behind their defence, Salah missing the open header, Chamberlain with a good look and hit it straight at Foster, Solanke's shot cleared off the line by Hegazi and Solanke's goal that was disallowed.

See how that second half, after the tactical changes, compares to the first half in terms of chances and shorts on target? It was much better. A tactical shift doesn't need to be big to be effective. There was one, wether you noticed it or not and it helped us create far more in the second half than in the first half.

There's this strange obsession people have with making substitutions. There's no point in making changes for the sake of making changes.

We indeed haven't made a late goal in quite a while. Shouldn't we be looking at the players rather than the manager though? Klopp has made the tactical changes, he has made the substitutions. Then it's down to the players to put the ball in the back of the net, not Klopp. Against Burnley Solanke hit the bar in the last minutes of the game, now against West-Brom his goal was (wrongly?) disallowed. It's not that we don't create the chances late in the game, we just haven't been finishing them.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,289 posts | 1402 
      Reply #15185: Dec 15, 2017 09:45:44 pm
      The squad won't be doing any real heavy/stamina work at this point in the season, the pacey players will working on leg strength Each player will have their fitness plan, within the overall strategy set by Jürgen and his team. The game now is so fast and pace is so important, so Klopp needs his pace fit.

They know tired legs = tight hamstrings for these pacy players. They need extra leg strength to withstand the workload. I think we would have been staggered by the amount of work Owen had to do to stay fit. We have to hope Salah has the right fitness programme to stay fit thru the heavy cold winter. We have to take this into account when Klopp rotates.
      With Hope In My Heart
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,279 posts | 183 
      Reply #15186: Dec 15, 2017 10:42:18 pm
      I hate this argument

It's not fit as in your or my levels of fitness, they'd run over us at 50%
      It's how fit or fatigued they feel against their contempories

A fatiging professional at say 70% will not be at their best if an opponent is at 90%

We can say money this and money that but you could pay them a trillion quid a week or nothing and that fact still stands especially nowadays as the game is quicker and more reliant of fitness than ever before

Thank you for expressing my thoughts so clearly.

Could you do the same for those who say things like "... he'll have told them to be more professional in their finishing..." as if such a platitude would make any difference, as if they hadn't trying to score?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #15187: Dec 16, 2017 05:16:24 pm
      Because by its very nature football is more a 'marathon' than a sprint like your tennis would be

Tennis is a two week slam and by pure science the players who go all the way Will pretty much fatigue at similar levels.

If you wanted to get all the football teams to agree never to rotate over the season then in theory the sane would happen.

You guys talk like we are the only team to rotate. Go look at De Bruyne, Sterling and Silvas minutes and say they don't rotate and do what we are doing.

As I said it's against their contempories not individually
      Tennis players who all play 7 games in 2 weeks together fatigue to a similar level. Footballers are the same but it's over a longer period and teams rotate at different times as it's a 9 month competition rather than a 2 week one

If all clubs didn't rotate and you had the same 11s all season for 9 months you'd have loads more injuries and the game would visibly become slower through the 9 months

Tennis players will typically have 1 week off after a slam before they jet off to the next gruelling tournament, there is no doubt in my mind that they have to be much much fitter than the average footballer.
      In any case what about Cycling events like Tour de France, you can;t seriously tell me those guys are less fit than footballers and I'm including the ability to cope with stresses and strains on the body as well. It genuinely is a mystery why footballers can't cope with 2 games a week, with the other 5 days being recuperation days that should be more than enough, compared to other sports.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #15188: Dec 16, 2017 05:22:51 pm
      Next season he got get right l what us be in league title race till end of season cup win be nice anything less he needs go
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #15189: Dec 16, 2017 05:39:40 pm
      Next season he got get right l what us be in league title race till end of season cup win be nice anything less he needs go

Yea that's the spirit, let's just have a rotating door at the club. Idiotic.
      Kopite78
      Reply #15190: Dec 16, 2017 06:15:26 pm
      Tennis players will typically have 1 week off after a slam before they jet off to the next gruelling tournament, there is no doubt in my mind that they have to be much much fitter than the average footballer.
      In any case what about Cycling events like Tour de France, you can;t seriously tell me those guys are less fit than footballers and I'm including the ability to cope with stresses and strains on the body as well. It genuinely is a mystery why footballers can't cope with 2 games a week, with the other 5 days being recuperation days that should be more than enough, compared to other sports.

If you are comparing them directly then you're comparing apples with oranges.

I'll try again, but it's the last time as you're making my head hurt.

It's fit against their contempories..

For added clarity.. A tennis player isn't a footballers contempory.. neither is a cyclist or for that matter an astronaught or a paper boy or someone who works in a travel agents

We're talking about footballers against other footballers.. If  one team rotates and keeps players fit and another doesn't then the fresher ones will likely have an advantage.. It's not not a case of not being able to play twice a week, of course they could.. But twice a week over the season and expect the same level of performance? Not going to happen.
      Why do you think there is so much fuss made by managers who come from countries with winter breaks for example? England's players for example are often dead on their feet come a world cup whereas say the Germans are fresher with having a winter break, less league games and one less domestic cup competition.

Tennis players are very fit of course but using them as a direct comparison to footballers is daft

Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #15191: Dec 16, 2017 06:29:46 pm
      Just watched the first full 45min. of City vs. Spurs.

City plays like I claim you gotta play: high pressing (to a point where u ask yourself if they take performance enhancing drugs), ball possession only for the purpose to create a chance asap, whole game style: vertical, and if there is nothing then a City player just takes the ball and goes 1:1 into the box to make something happen.

De Bruyne > Coutinho, Bruyne has so much better vision, works harder, better passes. The whole City team looks just more talented in comparision to ours.

Why can't we play like them? Maybe you need better players for that, players we don't have.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #15192: Dec 16, 2017 06:54:24 pm
      Just watched the first full 45min. of City vs. Spurs.

City plays like I claim you gotta play: high pressing (to a point where u ask yourself if they take performance enhancing drugs), ball possession only for the purpose to create a chance asap, whole game style: vertical, and if there is nothing then a City player just takes the ball and goes 1:1 into the box to make something happen.

De Bruyne > Coutinho, Bruyne has so much better vision, works harder, better passes. The whole City team looks just more talented in comparision to ours.

Why can't we play like them? Maybe you need better players for that, players we don't have.

You know what?! I NEVER realised that Man City just might have a better team than us. Who would have thought that a team with an eleven point lead in the Premier League could solve such complicated question of the universe?

Well then - let's take your groundbreaking analysis and start PLAYING the way YOU claim 'we've gotta play'...because no one has ever said that we should play like them an only you seem to have come up with the magical formula of 'high pressing, purposeful ball possession that only creates chances, play vertically (what to? As opposed to horizontally while lying on the floor?) and with a whole game style (instead of that yucky semi skimmed style!).

I'm sure if Klopp starts listening to your revolutionary ideas then we'll be like Man City in no time. We can start by dropping the 'Africans' in our squad because you know, as you say, they come from troublesome families and have a poor work ethic. Then let's allow the young ones to lead the line as you've advised for two weeks in a row now - Woodburn and Solanke with their incredible experience can be a match for the likes of Gabriel Jesus, De Bruyne, David Silva and Aguero any day of the week.
      « Last Edit: Dec 16, 2017 07:03:20 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #15193: Dec 16, 2017 07:10:19 pm
      How city able play same team every week press game not tried
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1529 
      Reply #15194: Dec 16, 2017 07:25:02 pm
      From what I remember, we matched them in every department until we went down to 10.
      Then it just came down to bad game management. Spurs just been given s footballing lesson with 11 men,
      And Spurs only got the better of us due to one players capitulation.
      We are not far away, swap de Bruyne for Hendo and we’re almost there.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #15195: Dec 16, 2017 07:27:46 pm
      Not say sack klopp but Christ why did he not get rid of sh*t few players Henderson mig loven few more least try build team but he still has same sh*t
      fckmediocrity
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 213 
      Reply #15196: Dec 16, 2017 07:43:45 pm
      From what I remember, we matched them in every department until we went down to 10.
      Then it just came down to bad game management. Spurs just been given s footballing lesson with 11 men,
      And Spurs only got the better of us due to one players capitulation.
      We are not far away, swap de Bruyne for Hendo and we’re almost there.

So many excuses.. and we're closer to the relegation zone then their team.. in what world does that equal 'almost there' ???
      Kopite78
      Reply #15197: Dec 16, 2017 07:44:53 pm
      How city able play same team every week press game not tried

You may think they do.. But their players 'minutes' are very similar to ours over the season

It's hard to use Coutinho (back injury) and Mane (Hamstring on international) as their minutes are slightly down but using for example Firmino ( 1175) and Salah (1284) against Aguero (956) and De Bruyne  (1368) there's nothing in it really. Silva is around the same as KDB and Sane at around 1000
      Had Coutinho not faked a back injury or Mane picking up a genuine one all the minutes are very similar.

There's no point saying that as they're down on minutes overall they can make it up in this busy period as the effect is on going not historical

All clubs rotate and protect players.

City have a better deeper squad than anyone so the drop off isn't so obvious when they do and they are playing on absolute top of the world confidence currently which makes a world of difference. Add the confidence to them having the best squad... means we are all chasing their coattails

Not say sack klopp but Christ why did he not get rid of sh*t few players Henderson mig loven few more least try build team but he still has same sh*t

You say it almost every post.

If you don't think overall we have a better squad than when he took over I'd give up footy

Edit. Those minutes are only PL
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #15198: Dec 16, 2017 07:48:42 pm
      We not any better when Rogers in change we still miles off win league
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #15199: Dec 16, 2017 07:51:30 pm
      I hope spurs win today because every thing wrong with football city winning league next thing wait see them put in bids for mane salah our best players sad fact football
      Kopite78
      Reply #15200: Dec 16, 2017 07:52:00 pm
      We not any better when Rogers in change

Go have a lay down... you've obviously had  a long day

Give up that hope. The game  finished about 15 minutes ago

Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #15201: Dec 16, 2017 09:00:14 pm
      Well then - let's take your groundbreaking analysis and start PLAYING the way YOU claim 'we've gotta play'

Yeah, why not? Why does Klopp not play like that esp. when he used to let play like that in Dortmund with FAR less talent?

play vertically (what to? As opposed to horizontally while lying on the floor?)

North-South football instead of our west-east football that has the ball for minutes and creates zip.

We can start by dropping the 'Africans' in our squad because you know, as you say, they come from troublesome families and have a poor work ethic.

Not all but many do, therefore you have to be careful. That's what I said. Once you have found good ones, no need to drop them.

Then let's allow the young ones to lead the line as you've advised for two weeks in a row now - Woodburn and Solanke with their incredible experience can be a match for the likes of Gabriel Jesus, De Bruyne, David Silva and Aguero any day of the week.

Because we played whom? Everton, WBA and now Bournemouth. Why not rotate and give young ones a real chance? Klopp did sh*t like that all day in Dortmund and it worked. Solanke is a real deal and Woodburn showed flashes. Before the season TAA and Gomez didn't look like locks, but now they are almost cornerstones of the defense. Why? Because they got chances. This season we won't win anything anyway, so why not try things? That's what those seasons are for.

Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #15202: Dec 16, 2017 09:03:54 pm
      We not any better when Rogers in change we still miles off win league

Basically that's right. Jürgen's charisma and some flashes cover that fact. But there's no alternative. There is no one better than Klopp available. Also we need conituity. Maybe Benitez or Rogers could have done it with some more years but they were axed. We need to give Klopp more time to do his thing.

Quick Reply