Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      52 (34.2%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      4 (2.6%)
      Martin Skrtel
      2 (1.3%)
      Mamadou Sakho
      43 (28.3%)
      Alberto Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Emre Can
      24 (15.8%)
      Lucas Leiva
      7 (4.6%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      1 (0.7%)
      Adam Lallana
      18 (11.8%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Joe Allen
      1 (0.7%)
      Jordon Ibe
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 148

Voting closed: Oct 21, 2015 02:40:25 pm

Spurs 0-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match debate

Read 31173 times
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,299 posts | 766 
      Re: Spurs 0-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match debate
      Reply #437: Oct 17, 2015 04:28:17 pm
      Decent performance, a point away at the Spuds acceptable. Jürgen Klopp already winning the fans over.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,395 posts | 2823 
      Reply #438: Oct 17, 2015 04:29:55 pm
      Not too concerned about Origi's performance, it was Milner and Moreno that I was disappointed with today (Skrtel would have joined that list but improved in the second half).

Mignolet, Sakho, Lucas and Clyne all did very well.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #439: Oct 17, 2015 04:34:55 pm
      Just got back from the game. Special shout out to the travelling fans, we out sung them in their ground. That buzz is coming back. Great result away from home to a team that demolished City. 4th choice striker as well.

Thought our midfield was the reason we hardly let them create a chance and defence already looks more solid. Good signs. Once Couts gets into gear again and Studley / Ben are back, we'll see goals.

Great performance from Sakho, motm.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,263 posts | 4934 
      Reply #440: Oct 17, 2015 04:35:55 pm
      Oops this is the only player I'd want from Spurs, Andros Townsend.

You have low standards then.

He's garbage.
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,788 posts | 574 
      Reply #441: Oct 17, 2015 04:36:36 pm
      City would have taken a point here without any fit strikers
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #442: Oct 17, 2015 04:39:25 pm
      Oops this is the only player I'd want from Spurs, Andros Townsend.

He's terrible...

Christian Erikson and Hugo Lloris would walk into our team as would either of their centre backs. Townsend wouldn't.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #443: Oct 17, 2015 04:39:27 pm
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dhx0eSp1ZSg

Jürgen's post match.

Love it, some of the steel and frostiness towards the press that I personally admire in a manager. They ask a question and get shut down completely, he's not there to give you the nuts and bolts about everything. Keep it in house, talk about the positives, gloss over the negatives and march forward.

Cracking interview and exactly how I felt also.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,263 posts | 4934 
      Reply #444: Oct 17, 2015 04:40:22 pm
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dhx0eSp1ZSg

Jürgen's post match.

Love it, some of the steel and frostiness towards the press that I personally admire in a manager. They ask a question and get shut down completely, he's not there to give you the nuts and bolts about everything. Keep it in house, talk about the positives, gloss over the negatives and march forward.

Cracking interview and exactly how I felt also.

Great to hear.

Back to the Rafa and Kenny days then.
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,489 posts | 220 
      Reply #445: Oct 17, 2015 04:40:33 pm
      Best part is that klopp has only worked on defending and pressing which showed

Klopp was disgusted at how we defend corners

Get solid and build from there

Work on getting the rubbish out in the summer imo try to get a top striker in January who is not made of glass

Henderson will struggle to come back into the team unless James is dropped
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,299 posts | 766 
      Reply #446: Oct 17, 2015 04:42:43 pm
      Top Class manager, something the Reds have been lacking for too long.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,263 posts | 4934 
      Reply #447: Oct 17, 2015 04:43:17 pm
      Did we play 4 2 3 1 then folks?
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #448: Oct 17, 2015 04:47:23 pm
      Did we play 4 2 3 1 then folks?

We did mate yeah, Can given much more freedom to get forward in the system than you might expect though.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #449: Oct 17, 2015 04:48:04 pm
      You have low standards then.

He's garbage.

I like him. he went off the boil but so have some of our players, he got injured for a while too.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #450: Oct 17, 2015 04:53:35 pm
      Just got back from the game. Special shout out to the travelling fans, we out sung them in their ground. That buzz is coming back. Great result away from home to a team that demolished City. 4th choice striker as well.

Thought our midfield was the reason we hardly let them create a chance and defence already looks more solid. Good signs. Once Couts gets into gear again and Studley / Ben are back, we'll see goals.

Great performance from Sakho, motm.

What was the game like from your perspective? Often you get a different perception of games when you see them live at the ground I feel.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,263 posts | 4934 
      Reply #451: Oct 17, 2015 05:01:35 pm
      We did mate yeah, Can given much more freedom to get forward in the system than you might expect though.

Milly on the right Luke?
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #452: Oct 17, 2015 05:02:15 pm
      I've seen a few dumb Moreno comments even though he won a few smart, 'Alonso style'. free kicks.  I don't think he's dumb, he's certainly not a full back though, wing-back, yes.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #453: Oct 17, 2015 05:05:26 pm

:lmao:

He's not going to shake that is he. Yeah he was mate, industrious as you'd expect but I thought overall he was shown to lack that bit of quality, which to be fair was evident in plenty of our play.

Having said that the positives were there as clear as day too, not least how much better organised we are, not just in defence, but across the park the team moved much more as unit and less one press and nobody follow. Was so refreshing, can't wait for the next game.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #454: Oct 17, 2015 05:58:11 pm
      A slightly weird game. you could see the lads were a bit confused about what to do BUT the passion, industry and more importantly belief seemed to be back, all in all a good point against a good team, just a bit of a pain that the chavs and Manure won their games.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,194 posts | 4406 
      Reply #455: Oct 17, 2015 06:32:10 pm
      Pleased with picking up a point against one of the firm teams in the league.

You could see as the match went on the players were getting used to the ask from the manager and another 10 mins and we would have grabbed all 3 points.

For the first time in a long time I was not bricking it every time Spurs attacked expecting us to concede a goal, bar a few mis placed passes in the first half. Sakho was excellent at the back.
      A big mention to Lucas and Can you gave great protection but also a key forward thrust from midfield esp in the second half. Cans best performance in that position.

We need to improve on our play in the final third but with key players out that's understandable along with the fact you could see players like Coutinho still not 100% sure if what is expected of him.

Very dissapointed in Milner again who seems to be a liability at the moment. Lallana ran and pressed as we know he can but there was little else.

Onwards and upwards.
      Gongfarmer
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 173 posts | 19 
      Reply #456: Oct 17, 2015 06:35:54 pm
      To be honest a draw is a good thing to keep our feet on the ground. It is going to be a long haul to get us back to the top, had we won, there would be some on here claiming the league title was in sight. We put real effort in today, and with an experienced striker on the pitch may have taken all 3 points. Well played reds!
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #457: Oct 17, 2015 07:11:38 pm
      I said just before the game that I would take a point with a good performance. Well, I got what I wanted in the end. I was encouraged with how the lads played, especially the first half hour and with a clinical striker today, I feel we would have won.

Onwards and upwards.  :)
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #458: Oct 17, 2015 07:14:12 pm
      Satisfying result that game was. Would have taken 0-0 last night. First 20 minutes was excellent and while Spurs got into it from that point onwards I never felt as though we were out of control unlike previous weeks. Klopp's observation on being 'nervous' on the ball was spot on. Very good to know that he has identified the sources of tension, where and when. As a unit though, we looked far more organised and far more compact that we've done for a good while. There seemed to be connection between defence and midfield which was undoubtedly helped by the presence of two deeper lying midfielders in Lucas and Can, both of whom had very good games.

Far too many times have we seen teams make mince meat of the space between defence and our midfield - a no man's land that left our defence badly exposed. This happened pre Rodgers as well, so it's great that we've got a manager who values the importance of building from defence onwards. On the three occasions we slipped up in defence it was great that Mignolet was on hand (literally!) to prevent them from scoring. Great effort from Simon although his kicking would have irritated many again! Irregardless of the world class saves Migs makes, you certainly feel that Klopp will want Migs to improve his distribution if he is to remain number 1.

I thought Milner worked very hard, showed aggression which is always needed. Criticism for him is slightly over the top. Sure, he didn't create anything (and will have to create) but he does some important dirty work that goes unheralded. Lallana was excellent although for us to see the true fruits of what Adam can offer will only be helped by the efforts of the striker on the day, likewise with Coutinho. Today, the striker was Origi and to be honest I was disappointed with him. I don't think he put in as big an effort, he didn't press enough and at times he looked somewhat pitiful with slumped shoulders in breaks of play.

But overall we were solid. Solid as a unit and a lot more compact and a professional performance. A point and a clean sheet away at a place like White Hart Lane is no bad effort. Clearly it will take time for us to flourish in Klopp's image but it's a good platform to build ahead of Rubin Kazan....where I expect the atmosphere will be bouncing!
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #459: Oct 17, 2015 07:22:38 pm

Luke I thought Can had an excellent game and the most pleasing for me was the effort and fight the lads put in.I wonder if Ibe had played from the start would we have caused Spurs defensive problems.

Quick Reply