Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      52 (34.2%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      4 (2.6%)
      Martin Skrtel
      2 (1.3%)
      Mamadou Sakho
      43 (28.3%)
      Alberto Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Emre Can
      24 (15.8%)
      Lucas Leiva
      7 (4.6%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      1 (0.7%)
      Adam Lallana
      18 (11.8%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Joe Allen
      1 (0.7%)
      Jordon Ibe
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 148

Voting closed: Oct 21, 2015 02:40:25 pm

Spurs 0-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match debate

Read 30727 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Spurs 0-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match debate
      Reply #483: Oct 18, 2015 02:49:25 am
      Will the phantom Joe Allen motm voter be unveiled? Who is this mysterious fan of the welsh xavi, the taffy pirlo etc

Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #484: Oct 18, 2015 04:20:38 am
      It's great to see the positivity, even after a 0-0.  But that stems from the players looking like they actually cared and giving 100%.  Noticed a couple of comments in the live thread about a lack of quality in the team, but a fair bit of that quality is on the treatment table right now and will all be in the matchday squad or even starting 11 when fit again.

I though we looked more of a team, particularly when defending around the box.  We have struggled from crosses so far this season, but I thought the return to a back four both reduced the number of crosses coming in and also meant there seemed less confusion/bodies in the middle when they did come in.

There were a few contenders (Can and Sakho in particular) but gave my MOTM to Migs as I just felt his were the most telling contributions to the result.  I would say that he has been instructed to go long with clearances - and this fits into a Klopp philosophy I suppose, where we can do more damage when the ball is in attacking areas regardless of who has it.

Though Origi was ok too, as anyone who has played up front on their own (and I certainly have a few times) knows that as soon as there is separation between you and the midfield then you are on a hiding to nothing as there are always 2 and even 3 defenders taking away the space, but he never gave up and did well (certainly compared to last season) for effectively our 4th striker.

Roll on Friday morning (well for those of us GMT+10) and lets see how the atmosphere is different to recent weeks.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #485: Oct 18, 2015 06:42:42 am
      Just to be clear...

You don't think Christian Erikson or Hugo Lloris would get our team ahead of Adam Lallana and Simon Mignolet....

Times have changed, we'll be looking for better than them. I have seen Erikson kind of be good a bit since he went there and their goalie is quite good but he's not great. Looking higher than that now, plus Erikson snubbed us, he can bleep bleep.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #486: Oct 18, 2015 07:13:44 am
      Will the phantom Joe Allen motm voter be unveiled? Who is this mysterious fan of the welsh xavi, the taffy pirlo etc

It was probably Joe himself, I take it he is a member of LFCREDS.
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #487: Oct 18, 2015 07:51:29 am
      Lets hope MORENO gets a kick up the arse off the boss . He got very , very lucky today when F***ing about with the ball .
      Some very poor decisions by some of our players in the final third.
      Yet, Jürgen has done great already , having had the players for such a short space of time and, injuries.
      Origi did F**k all and was probably the only player who didn't give his all.
      Got to love JURGENS  post match interview.
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #488: Oct 18, 2015 08:50:48 am
      Surprised Milner got no vote while Can and Lucas totalled 25.
      His style may not be shiny, but he did his job well imo, and with lots of energy as usual (if he faded a bit in second half like Lalanna, perhaps).
      Feel he is a bit scapegoated here.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #489: Oct 18, 2015 08:52:52 am

Milner was absolute rubbish.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #490: Oct 18, 2015 09:01:23 am
      Great 1st 20 minutes. After that for large chunks of the game we found ourselves under the pump but made up we kept a clean sheet thanks to some brilliant shot stopping from Migs and some last ditch blocking from Sakho.

Must admit I was very disappointed with Milner, to get a yellow that early and put himself and us under pressure wasn't what you expect from a Captain. Honestly think after watching him for a few games that he's a good squad player but shouldn't be an automatic 1st choice. The options to replace him aren't really there, I suppose, with Hendo injured and Joe Allen being Joe Allen!

Overall good 1st game against a tough home opposition. Very impressed with the pressing game, we looked fantastic doing it we just need to sustain it longer and hopefully that happens once we get some more fitness into us, but that just begs the question, wtf was Brendan doing?

Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #491: Oct 18, 2015 09:21:54 am
      Times have changed, we'll be looking for better than them. I have seen Erikson kind of be good a bit since he went there and their goalie is quite good but he's not great. Looking higher than that now, plus Erikson snubbed us, he can bleep bleep.

I couldn't disagree more about those two in particular. Not many out there I'd rather have. But hey ho, each to their own.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #492: Oct 18, 2015 09:22:50 am

why did you say "was" the word you wanted is "is". He is an awful player and so not a Liverpool player he has ZERO touch on a pass and is so awkward in the tackle
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #493: Oct 18, 2015 09:29:28 am
      I couldn't disagree more about those two in particular. Not many out there I'd rather have. But hey ho, each to their own.

I get where you're coming from, you may be right to be honest mate.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #494: Oct 18, 2015 09:47:10 am
      I see people at it again with scapegoating players. Milner was far from "rubbish" and put in an excellent shift down the right hand side. People who are looking for someone who didn't do a lot from a comparable position could do worse than look at the Brazilian on the opposite side of midfield.

I did hope that with a new manager there might be a bit of a change, that people might actually start to give players the benefit of the doubt before they put the boot in. Before anyone says "well it's on a forum what difference does it make FFS" they should consider that on ALL occasions our fans turn against players it is fuelled on forums and phone-ins before making it's way inside the ground. If they think players, their friends, agents, wives etc don't read forums or listen to phone ins or read newspapers they are even bigger mugs than they look on here.

The support and encouragement the players feel will dictate how well they play relative to their ability, and we will end up with the team we deserve as fans. Criticism is fine, but silly statements about players which are more about us trying to justify a previous position and trying to make ourselves look clever and "right all along" should be a thing of the past.

We got a good result yesterday by any standards, and ALL the players deserve credit. Let's start afresh and quit with the scapegoating.
      Redtrader
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 124 posts | 29 
      Reply #495: Oct 18, 2015 09:52:54 am
      Surprised Milner got no vote while Can and Lucas totalled 25.
      His style may not be shiny, but he did his job well imo, and with lots of energy as usual (if he faded a bit in second half like Lalanna, perhaps).
      Feel he is a bit scapegoated here.
      You have a vote too.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #496: Oct 18, 2015 10:01:53 am
      I see people at it again with scapegoating players. Milner was far from "rubbish" and put in an excellent shift down the right hand side. People who are looking for someone who didn't do a lot from a comparable position could do worse than look at the Brazilian on the opposite side of midfield.

I did hope that with a new manager there might be a bit of a change, that people might actually start to give players the benefit of the doubt before they put the boot in. Before anyone says "well it's on a forum what difference does it make FFS" they should consider that on ALL occasions our fans turn against players it is fuelled on forums and phone-ins before making it's way inside the ground. If they think players, their friends, agents, wives etc don't read forums or listen to phone ins or read newspapers they are even bigger mugs than they look on here.

The support and encouragement the players feel will dictate how well they play relative to their ability, and we will end up with the team we deserve as fans. Criticism is fine, but silly statements about players which are more about us trying to justify a previous position and trying to make ourselves look clever and "right all along" should be a thing of the past.

We got a good result yesterday by any standards, and ALL the players deserve credit. Let's start afresh and quit with the scapegoating.

I wouldn't call it scapegoating mate. I don't think our front four were much Kop Klopp yesterday - and all were a bit shabite.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #497: Oct 18, 2015 10:21:18 am
      I feared the worst when I saw that Studge was missing from the starting line up so was delighted with a point. What really stood out for me was simply how hard the players worked, the effort levels were outstanding and I think it really shows how much Brendan had lost the team because I haven't seen them work like that in a long time. Even Can (who I generally believe to be a talented but lazy player who doesn't do anywhere near enough when we don't have the ball) ran his ass off for 90 minutes.

A few standout performers, I gave Migs the mom because he was the difference but Sakho is rightly getting lots of praise, I also thought Lucas had an excellent game I loved the work rate and commitment of Lallana, he actually looked like he needed a bucket when he came off. Perhaps the only thing for me is that I would have liked to have seen Ibe come on 10 minutes earlier than he did.

Biggest thing for me is that in the space of 1 game this team has an identity again. Completely lost that over the past 14 months. Am really excited for the next few months.
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #498: Oct 18, 2015 12:13:53 pm
      If I am to be honest I am quite happy with the draw at White Hart Lane, even with the performance of our under strength side. Still we were luck not to concede

Klopp has his work cut out for him. A top four finish? Highly unlikely.
      Had he seen what he had to work with he never would have made that claim.

For me there are only a couple of players that are worth keeping at the club all the rest are firewood. I say this not from the perspective of believing that we can go out there and by the virtue of being LFC we can sign world class players at the drop of a hat, No. but rather from the stand point of we could have; and should have sign better than the average players in the beginning, and those signed quite often have been signed for over inflated fees..

I believe we will see many players depart during the reign of Mr Klopp and rightly so. For me the only safe players are, Firmino, Coutinho, Henderson, Sakho, Sturridge, Can, Gomez, Clyne, Rossiter, and for the moment Sinclair and  Ibe, The rest should be shipped out and what little money we get back be give to the manager to reinvest where HE sees fit without interference…

For too long WE (LFC Supporters) have put up we mediocre players. Most supporters seem just glad enough to have a new face at the club, hoping that if they get behind the player, a believe strongly enough that he will turn out to be that real “Quality” signing we so desperately lack.

I am behind Klopp, But he must be given enough time, the backing and more importantly the tools to work with…. The January window will be quite interesting this season..
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #499: Oct 18, 2015 12:23:12 pm
      I'm not that concerned with how ineffective we were up front yesterday, we're missing so much creativity and goals through injury that it'll change once those players are available.

Our defense was the main concern, something Jürgen said they would sort out first and from what I saw that's what he did.  It wasn't perfect but at least we looked organised, compact and pretty much kept all the play in front of us.  Including yesterdays game we've got a horrid run of league games, 3 of which are against our main rivals, stop them from scoring like yesterday and even if we don't win them, we prevent them from pulling away from us.

The goals will come but let's hope the clean sheets continue until they do.

As for the game, there were a few players who really impressed me.  I wasn't surprised though as they're good players when used correctly. 

Sakho was an absolute beast, possibly his best game for us. 

Migs also had a fantastic game but I noticed that he had so much more space in front of him due to the high line that he wasn't being crowded out like usual.  Not even at corners and set pieces.  I've said this before about him, he's an exceptional shot stopper when he's got space in front of him but he's not enough of a nutter to claim the ball through a crowded area.  It was interesting to see.

Clyne is Clyne, a very good steady Eddie.  Didn't really put a foot wrong and the only mistake I remember was when he left a ball for Skrtel to deal with but Skrtel had dropped off instead of closing down. 

Moreno, bless him what can you say.  I like him, he's a bit chaotic, a bit random and a danger at both ends of the pitch. 

Skrtel was okayish at the start but he soon reverted to dropping deep and was totally out of tune with his team mates.

Loved the Lucas and Can double pivot.  I knew Lucas should play well in a Klopp team and he didn't disappoint me but Can surprised me.  I'll be honest, I've not had the same high opinion of him as a few on here but he was very good yesterday.  The pair of them covered the defense brilliantly.

Lallana, Cou and Milner were our first line of defense and they did it brilliantly.  I'd love to know how much ground they covered between them, they were everywhere.  A lot will think Cou didn't play well because he wasn't involved or creating much but I don't think that's what he was asked to do. 

Same with Origi, he wasn't really playing his normal game of playing off the shoulder, he was asked to hold the ball up and lay it off to those overlapping.  The odd occasion he had clear space, he was off and only a lack of quality/composure/experience/options let him down.

A very good start and quite impressive considering the amount of time they've had and the disruption of more injuries.
      paulow63
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 648 posts | 83 
      Reply #500: Oct 18, 2015 12:40:09 pm
      For the first twenty minutes we looked excellent then Spurs slowly took control and should have scored twice. The second half we controlled for most of the time. If slowly and surely Klopp can increase that 20 minutes to the 30, 40, 50 upto 75 then great but we have to score in that time.
      Positives, Sakho, Can, Lallana, clean sheet, brilliant saves from Mignolet and the manager going on pitch at end and chatting to Lucas.
      One negative, despite Milners hard work demonstrated poor passing forward all game including one that ran over the by line towards end and 3 rash challenges.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #501: Oct 18, 2015 01:00:37 pm

I am behind Klopp, But he must be given enough time, the backing and more importantly the tools to work with…. The January window will be quite interesting this season..

Sorry to abridge a very relevant comment but the last sentence must be highlighted.
      If the owners do not follow the new path the appointment of Klopp apparently indicates and his appointment is merely another distraction; I genuinely fear for the future of LFC.

Leopards and spots spring to mind.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #502: Oct 18, 2015 01:09:49 pm
      Sorry to abridge a very relevant comment but the last sentence must be highlighted.
      If the owners do not follow the new path the appointment of Klopp apparently indicates and his appointment is merely another distraction; I genuinely fear for the future of LFC.

Leopards and spots spring to mind.

I think Jürgen will know exactly what is going to happen in january his staff will know all our players stats.
      If Jürgen isnt given the tools to do the job he isnt going to go all corporate on us he will make sure the truth is out there.FSG do not dare to do anything but support him
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #503: Oct 18, 2015 01:13:12 pm
      Will the phantom Joe Allen motm voter be unveiled?

That would be me Fatty. I thought he was brilliant, totally outstanding.

The fact that I was working and never saw a ball kicked yet picked wee Joe, might suggest I was fishing but... you're safe mate - it's catch and return.   :laugh:
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #504: Oct 18, 2015 01:21:13 pm

Disagree with the scapegoating comment Mick I think what I've witnessed is an awful lot of credit being thrown out and some honest criticism. If players can't take it on the chin when it's fair then they're really going to struggle.

Milner/Coutinho/Origi were clearly our worst players on the day, I think Milner was industrious as ever but he's showing a real lack of quality and I honestly can't wait for Henderson to get back fit (and I'm far from Henderson's biggest fan). I'd have personally loved to have seen what Markovic would have done in Milner's position yesterday, or even shift Lallana out wide and make space for Tex or Chiravella who both have that composure that a team like ours needs when moving forward.

I think his place in the team is the most under threat at the moment. Coutinho also needs to up his game plenty, he was putting in the effort in a belated fashion in my opinion yesterday. I thought he'd break out into a determined run only when there was space between him and the man, basically when it would have been obvious if he let his man go. Needs to sort himself out because his level has fallen off something terrible this season.

Origi is simply not ready yet, he needs a bit of the slapping treatment that Ibe got. He seems half asleep and almost shocked when the ball is around him, if he could up his awareness and anticipation many levels then there may be a player but he's not exactly a teenager and I don't see progress in his game at all. The quicker any of our other forwards get fit the better because with him up top we're playing with 10 1/2 men in my opinion.

From what I've seen there has been only a very slender few who don't seem fully converted believers, even Federer is like a little ray of sunshine running around the player threads, if that's not enough to convince you that the tide has changed then I don't think anything will. It's a lovely place to be at the moment and I don't think honest criticism should ever be knocked on the head or it'll just turn out to be a bunch of people agreeing with each other and the room for debate in that scenario is pretty slim.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #505: Oct 18, 2015 02:10:45 pm
      That would be me Fatty. I thought he was brilliant, totally outstanding.

Old habits  ;D

Quick Reply