Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      52 (34.2%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      4 (2.6%)
      Martin Skrtel
      2 (1.3%)
      Mamadou Sakho
      43 (28.3%)
      Alberto Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Emre Can
      24 (15.8%)
      Lucas Leiva
      7 (4.6%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      1 (0.7%)
      Adam Lallana
      18 (11.8%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Joe Allen
      1 (0.7%)
      Jordon Ibe
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 148

Voting closed: Oct 21, 2015 02:40:25 pm

Spurs 0-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match debate

Read 31012 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8549 
      Re: Spurs 0-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match debate
      Reply #506: Oct 18, 2015 03:52:12 pm
      Whisper it quietly, the Klopp effect is working, F***ing hell I thought Mignolet actually looked like the goalkeeper that played way back in his first game against Stoke!

Those first 20 minutes were an absolute revelation after the past 18 months or so and for once that defence actually looked like it didn't want to commit suicide everytime we conceded. And the clean sheet will be a confidence booster for them. Although Moreno looks better as an attacking player rather than a full back.

We'll look better once we get some of the injuries back, but small steps and all that...
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #507: Oct 18, 2015 06:13:35 pm
      Is this the "death by football" Brendan was talking about only Jürgen is trying to kill our players. Joking apart I was made up for Sakho he was so focused and 100% into it .
      If the lads give that much effort we will win more games but if we get beat whilst giving it everything then so be it.
      Cant wait for Thursday
      biggles
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #508: Oct 18, 2015 06:29:39 pm
      The lack of goals is what concerns me
      it is now 24 consecutive games where are just 3 occasions have 1 or more goals been scored
      redraider
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts | 20 
      Reply #509: Oct 18, 2015 07:11:02 pm
      Just read an interesting article on Sky. Says we out ran Spurs yesterday and that they out ran every team they've played this season.  They've had some good results.  Our players will be either very fit or totally knackered.  When we play some of the european teams they won't know whats hit them - assuming of course we don't get outrun!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #510: Oct 18, 2015 07:57:12 pm
      Just read an interesting article on Sky. Says we out ran Spurs yesterday and that they out ran every team they've played this season.  They've had some good results.  Our players will be either very fit or totally knackered.  When we play some of the european teams they won't know whats hit them - assuming of course we don't get outrun!

It's important that we prioritise things and that means we should set aside the league cup only for youngsters and reserves. In Germany Klopp had the luxury of not having to play a league cup type competition AND played 4 less league games as the Bundesliga is only 18 teams compared to the PL's 20.

I wonder if Klopp may possibly see the league cup as an inconvenience.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #511: Oct 18, 2015 07:57:49 pm
      The lack of goals is what concerns me
      it is now 24 consecutive games where are just 3 occasions have 1 or more goals been scored

Give it time....Sturridge, Benteke, Firmino, Ings all missing, we're bound to struggle, I'm just happy that Jürgen is steadying the ship, the goals will come, you can be sure of that.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #512: Oct 18, 2015 08:24:34 pm
      Not sure if its mentioned already, but interesting stat that we ran the most of any team this weekend with 114km. Spuds have been the hardest working team every week....

Life under Klopp will mean these lads will be uber fit come xmas and BUNCHED come May.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #513: Oct 18, 2015 08:54:03 pm
      Give it time....Sturridge, Benteke, Firmino, Ings all missing, we're bound to struggle, I'm just happy that Jürgen is steadying the ship, the goals will come, you can be sure of that.

Agreed...
      If we win the rest of all our games 1-0 so what!..
      Can't see that with Klopp in charge though.. we'll see.. exciting times ahead..
      If a fit Ings and Sturridge had've lead the line yesterday we'd have won 2 or 3-0... easy.

Back on topic -
      We played a weakened side and made a pretty much full strength Tottenham look like a weakened side..and that was down to Jürgen's game plan.
      We limited Kane and Erikson to a few scraps of opportunities on their own patch..

My only concern is, as KopiteLuke pointed out earlier, how much Coutinho's form has dropped these last few games..
      I hope this is not a slippery downward slope out of the January window..
      He was the only one on the pitch for us yesterday who could've and should've unlocked their door with a bit of his magic but he didn't look sharp enough..don't forget he's had the last 2 weeks to train on his sharpness etc.

can't wait for Thursday...

Loving the German flags and Bavarian fonts on our new banners... Achtung Baby !!

MsGerrard
      Reply #514: Oct 18, 2015 09:43:54 pm

can't wait for Thursday...

Loving the German flags and Bavarian fonts on our new banners... Achtung Baby !!

Should be a superb atmosphere on thursday, can't wait to be on the kop and welcome Jürgen to his first home game  :scarf:

6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #515: Oct 18, 2015 11:54:08 pm
      Should be a superb atmosphere on thursday, can't wait to be on the kop and welcome Jürgen to his first home game  :scarf:

Couldn't find a "Jealous" smiley so i'll put these up ;  8) :nod: :kop5cf8koxp6:

I'll be sat at home ;  :tv_happy:
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #516: Oct 19, 2015 12:31:11 am
      If I am to be honest I am quite happy with the draw at White Hart Lane, even with the performance of our under strength side. Still we were luck not to concede

Klopp has his work cut out for him. A top four finish? Highly unlikely.
      Had he seen what he had to work with he never would have made that claim.

For me there are only a couple of players that are worth keeping at the club all the rest are firewood. I say this not from the perspective of believing that we can go out there and by the virtue of being LFC we can sign world class players at the drop of a hat, No. but rather from the stand point of we could have; and should have sign better than the average players in the beginning, and those signed quite often have been signed for over inflated fees..

I believe we will see many players depart during the reign of Mr Klopp and rightly so. For me the only safe players are, Firmino, Coutinho, Henderson, Sakho, Sturridge, Can, Gomez, Clyne, Rossiter, and for the moment Sinclair and  Ibe, The rest should be shipped out and what little money we get back be give to the manager to reinvest where HE sees fit without interference…

For too long WE (LFC Supporters) have put up we mediocre players. Most supporters seem just glad enough to have a new face at the club, hoping that if they get behind the player, a believe strongly enough that he will turn out to be that real “Quality” signing we so desperately lack.

I am behind Klopp, But he must be given enough time, the backing and more importantly the tools to work with…. The January window will be quite interesting this season..

I have to disagree mate , it's early days and to right us off so early on is foolish indeed . We haven't a bad team there , actually we've seen Ferguson lift the title with a worst team than ours and that's the truth . It's all about the man at the helm getting the tactics right and no better than klopp to get the best out of the squad . ideally he should have been in the job summer time but alas it didn't happen,  so a bit of faith and wait on and see how it all pans out before we go writing ourselves off . I'm not saying we'll lift the title but 4th spot isn't a fantasy .

AmeriPool Red
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts |
      Reply #517: Oct 19, 2015 08:56:24 am
      If anyone's got the time they should listen to this podcast.

http://anfieldindex.podbean.com/e/episode-89-gaganpressing

Gags had some pretty interesting stats that he talks about the pressing. I found it kind of mind blowing what Klopp did in just a few days and this is just the beginning.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,281 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #518: Oct 19, 2015 09:25:27 am
      It was obvious that we played a lot diferent,i liked how we looked as a team and that we pressed oposition high in their half.Our deefence played really high and i liked that but i dont think Skrtel is capable to play like that,it just needs more time for our deefence to gets used to that style of play because they looked lost on the pitch from time to time.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #519: Oct 19, 2015 09:42:30 am
      Had to work on Saturday so didn't see the game. Caught the highlights and it is difficult to tell how we played based on a couple of minutes but I wasn't overly impressed.

It seemed to me that for the first 30 minutes we were sprinting around for 30minutes like headless chickens but quickly ran out of steam. We created little chances, continued to make silly mistakes at the back, and if it wasn't for Mignolet we would have lost 2 or 3 nil. That's how the highlights came across anyway.

But with no striker available other than origi then a point at white hart lane, and a clean sheet too, is definitely something to build on. I'd have taken a point before the game to be honest.

Reading a few of the above comments and think people are being unfair on coutinho. He has established himself as our best player now and we are always looking at him to make something happen for us - so if he doesn't, he gets criticism. I don't buy into this he is playing sh*te because he is looking for a move nonsense. The lad has never sulked, never moaned, has just signed a new 5 year deal and he continually states how much he loves the club and the city.

Cou is certainly capable of scoring a goal out of nothing or splitting a defence open with a pass but I think in general he needs better players around him for him to perform better. He plays quick 1-2's with people for example and is all about link up play rather than getting a game by the scruff of the neck. What I mean is with somebody like stevie it wouldn't matter if he had Alonso or biscan next to him he would always be stevie, but coutinho needs better players around him for him to shine. With Firmino and Sturridge back in the team all of a sudden Coutinho will burst into life. I've been crying out for years that we need more players on Coutinhos wave length and that's something I'm looking forward to Klopp to address.

Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,281 posts | 79 
      Reply #520: Oct 19, 2015 09:46:36 am
      Had to work on Saturday so didn't see the game. Caught the highlights and it is difficult to tell how we played based on a couple of minutes but I wasn't overly impressed.

It seemed to me that for the first 30 minutes we were sprinting around for 30minutes like headless chickens but quickly ran out of steam. We created little chances, continued to make silly mistakes at the back, and if it wasn't for Mignolet we would have lost 2 or 3 nil. That's how the highlights came across anyway.

But with no striker available other than origi then a point at white hart lane, and a clean sheet too, is definitely something to build on. I'd have taken a point before the game to be honest.

Reading a few of the above comments and think people are being unfair on coutinho. He has established himself as our best player now and we are always looking at him to make something happen for us - so if he doesn't, he gets criticism. I don't buy into this he is playing sh*te because he is looking for a move nonsense. The lad has never sulked, never moaned, has just signed a new 5 year deal and he continually states how much he loves the club and the city.

Cou is certainly capable of scoring a goal out of nothing or splitting a defence open with a pass but I think in general he needs better players around him for him to perform better. He plays quick 1-2's with people for example and is all about link up play rather than getting a game by the scruff of the neck. What I mean is with somebody like stevie it wouldn't matter if he had Alonso or biscan next to him he would always be stevie, but coutinho needs better players around him for him to shine. With Firmino and Sturridge back in the team all of a sudden Coutinho will burst into life. I've been crying out for years that we need more players on Coutinhos wave length and that's something I'm looking forward to Klopp to address.

I agree about Coutinho,no one should even think about criticising that fella!
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #521: Oct 19, 2015 09:54:57 am

Why not? Inconsistent and patchy, flashes of brilliance don't alter that.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #522: Oct 19, 2015 09:56:17 am
      It was obvious that we played a lot diferent,i liked how we looked as a team and that we pressed oposition high in their half.Our deefence played really high and i liked that but i dont think Skrtel is capable to play like that,it just needs more time for our deefence to gets used to that style of play because they looked lost on the pitch from time to time.

Personally I think Skrtel will get found out under Klopp. I've never rated him and I'm amazed he has made so many appearances for us. It's just a myth that he is this 'scary b***ard' or some kind of monster because in reality he is a very average centre half at best.

When you consider all the defensive problems we had under Brendan who was at the heart of it? Skrtel!

Wasn't just under Brendan either, most of us preferred a Carragher-Agger partnership under Rafa and it only became Skrtel-Agger when Carragher started to lose his legs.  We made the same silly mistakes at the back under Rafa too particularly on set pieces. Remember all the zonal marking debate? Who was at the heart of it? Skrtel!

Our best CB pairing in my opinion is Sakho and Gomez. Obviously Gomez is out for the season I'm just making the point that I'd rather have a kid and somebody who was clearly out of favour with Brendan over Skrtel.

He isn't all bad by any means, he has played immensely for us at times, but he has never ever been consistent and I think overall he is average. When you consider the amount of appearances he has made for us, would anybody consider Skrtel a LFC great? I wouldn't myself like.

I'm not Lallanas biggest fan by any means but his pass to skrtel against spurs which he apparently hit short which then ultimately put Tottenham through and forced Mignolet into making a top save, did nobody else think that was completely skrtels fault?  The pass wasn't great I admit, but Skrtel backed off and let Spurs have the ball, Skrtel was definitely favourite to get to the ball first so even though it would have been a bit of gamble, he should have sprinted to it and clattered anybody who got in his way - Im 99% sure he would have got to the ball first anyway. Instead, he backed off to keep his position and spurs ended up having a shot on target anyway and nearly scored - they should have scored. Bad decision making from skrtel again.

Didn't mean this to become a slag martin Skrtel off post ha ha, but I do think under Klopp he will be found out definitely.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #523: Oct 19, 2015 09:59:35 am
      Skrtel's problem has always been that he gets a nose bleed if he sees any green grass behind him.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,281 posts | 79 
      Reply #524: Oct 19, 2015 10:05:14 am
      Why not? Inconsistent and patchy, flashes of brilliance don't alter that.
      I think he has done enough not to be criticised after a few poor games.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,281 posts | 79 
      Reply #525: Oct 19, 2015 10:10:25 am
      Personally I think Skrtel will get found out under Klopp. I've never rated him and I'm amazed he has made so many appearances for us. It's just a myth that he is this 'scary b***ard' or some kind of monster because in reality he is a very average centre half at best.

When you consider all the defensive problems we had under Brendan who was at the heart of it? Skrtel!

Wasn't just under Brendan either, most of us preferred a Carragher-Agger partnership under Rafa and it only became Skrtel-Agger when Carragher started to lose his legs.  We made the same silly mistakes at the back under Rafa too particularly on set pieces. Remember all the zonal marking debate? Who was at the heart of it? Skrtel!

Our best CB pairing in my opinion is Sakho and Gomez. Obviously Gomez is out for the season I'm just making the point that I'd rather have a kid and somebody who was clearly out of favour with Brendan over Skrtel.

He isn't all bad by any means, he has played immensely for us at times, but he has never ever been consistent and I think overall he is average. When you consider the amount of appearances he has made for us, would anybody consider Skrtel a LFC great? I wouldn't myself like.

I'm not Lallanas biggest fan by any means but his pass to skrtel against spurs which he apparently hit short which then ultimately put Tottenham through and forced Mignolet into making a top save, did nobody else think that was completely skrtels fault?  The pass wasn't great I admit, but Skrtel backed off and let Spurs have the ball, Skrtel was definitely favourite to get to the ball first so even though it would have been a bit of gamble, he should have sprinted to it and clattered anybody who got in his way - Im 99% sure he would have got to the ball first anyway. Instead, he backed off to keep his position and spurs ended up having a shot on target anyway and nearly scored - they should have scored. Bad decision making from skrtel again.

Didn't mean this to become a slag martin Skrtel off post ha ha, but I do think under Klopp he will be found out definitely.
      I hope he will get better with Klopp and Buvač,maybe they will teach him a few things,but anyway i dint think that he has the stamina to play high defence because in a couple of times he looked to me like he was out of breath.

I am so disapointed that Gomez got injured,i think that Sakho-Gomez in the defence would be something good that Klopp would recognise too.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #526: Oct 19, 2015 10:21:42 am
      I think he has done enough not to be criticised after a few poor games.

It's been more than a few.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #527: Oct 19, 2015 10:32:04 am

Yes because a lack of accountability is a great way to breed success....   :dunce2:
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #528: Oct 19, 2015 11:08:43 am
      Have people forgotten that Cou nearly always starts the season slowly?

Let Jürgen get to grips with sorting the defense out first, then we'll start to see a bit more attacking threat.  He can't do everything all at once, he barely knows the players yet, is still working out who's buying into his methods, who's going to be useful and who isn't.

Give the man and the players a chance.

Quick Reply