Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      52 (34.2%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      4 (2.6%)
      Martin Skrtel
      2 (1.3%)
      Mamadou Sakho
      43 (28.3%)
      Alberto Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Emre Can
      24 (15.8%)
      Lucas Leiva
      7 (4.6%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      1 (0.7%)
      Adam Lallana
      18 (11.8%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Joe Allen
      1 (0.7%)
      Jordon Ibe
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 148

Voting closed: Oct 21, 2015 02:40:25 pm

Spurs 0-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match debate

Read 31079 times
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Re: Spurs 0-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match debate
      Reply #529: Oct 19, 2015 11:13:37 am
      I agree about Coutinho,no one should even think about criticising that fella!

Nobody should criticise Coutinho for bad performances but criticising everybody else performing just as bad is OK? Jesus wept!
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #530: Oct 19, 2015 11:28:59 am
      I agree about Coutinho,no one should even think about criticising that fella!

I'll say this... If and/or when Coutinho has a bad game I WILL be criticising him! He is a great player but he isnt above being called on a bad match!!

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,534 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #531: Oct 19, 2015 01:19:31 pm
      Good away draw, we could haver nicked a win, and apart from the few brilliant saves from Mings, we were hardly troubled.

Good solid start from Klopps boys considering the Injuries.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #532: Oct 19, 2015 01:54:30 pm
      Decent analysis of the game.

Tactical Analysis: Jürgen Klopp’s Liverpool vs. Tottenham

Jürgen Klopp’s arrival in England was met with much fanfare, with supporters eager to see whether his Liverpool team would play at a higher intensity than the one Brendan Rodgers finished with. Initial reports suggested Liverpool would operate with a 4-2-3-1, but the roles of James Milner & Emre Can created an interesting shape with & without the ball.

Without genuine wide midfielders, it was Milner’s role to not only provide the width in possession but also to slot into a central role without the ball and keep the midfield compact. Defending with three central midfielders meant there was always a spare man available to break the line and press the ball, with two men back.

But the way in which Liverpool pressed the ball was asymmetric; they attacked it in different ways on each side of the pitch.

On the left, Emre Can was the primary presser, a job he completed very well.

Can moves forward from midfield, and is covered well by Lucas. Previously, this would have left a far-side gap in Liverpool’s midfield. One of Tottenham’s forwards would have dropped deep and picked up the ball from the defense in the space where Lucas previously was. But Klopp seemed to account for this, as Milner regularly shifted across. However, this didn’t happen on both sides.

When Milner pushed forward to press and Lucas again shifted laterally to cover for him, Emre Can was often nowhere to be seen. This was also an issue when Lucas pushed forward to press.

Can is again too focused on defending his man rather than shifting across and maintaining compactness. Coutinho helps the situation by coming inside rather than remaining on the left. And if ever an image summed up a man; Martin Skrtel…

There were more examples, and this seemed to be one of the reasons Liverpool & their press slowed down after only 30 minutes, at which point Spurs regained control.

However, aside from the slow lateral shifting of Can, the pressing of Tottenham’s left side in build-up phases was fairly stable.

Milner & Lallana were happy to interchange roles in this system, with whoever was wider engaging the left-back when they received the ball. The other would merely drop inside and cut out the passing lane to the near-side CM (in this case, Dembele). If the far-side CM (Alli) would come across to help build-play, then Coutinho would follow him over and immediately pressure him if he did receive the ball.

Liverpool also saw a major change in their approach to counterpressing (or gegenpressing). The positioning of Coutinho & Lallana in the halfspace rather than wide allowed them to easily press the man on the ball as soon as it was lost. Lallana, in particular, was effective in regaining possession almost immediately after losing it.

Problems in possession: organisation & transition

Despite obvious improvements to defensive structure and compactness, Liverpool seemed to have the same inability to create big chances. Only one major chance was created, where Origi struck the crossbar from a header; even this came from a set piece.

In early build-up phases, Lucas dropped deep behind the midfield. But often he seemed unable to progress play as he had few central passing options against a well-organised Tottenham press. This meant much of the progress came from two different situations.

Firstly, a wide player dropping back. This is something Coutinho has been doing for seasons, but James Milner was more influential at this against Spurs.

But this created some issues. Particularly when Tottenham’s midfield press was switched on.

Ideally there would be more input from Emre Can in these situations, who drifted forward in build-up phases. It remains to be seen whether this was an instruction from Klopp, or Can’s natural inclination; but it is important Liverpool do not end up relying on Lucas’ passing ability to build possession from the back.

The other method Liverpool had of building play, one which they will have whenever he plays, is Mamadou Sakho and his ‘laser’ passes into the attacking midfield strata. Much like when Klopp was at Dortmund, and Hummels was his ‘get out of jail’ card in build-up phases, Sakho is also capable of playing accurate passes straight into his forwards.

Aside from build-up play, Liverpool also hardly threatened in transition. With the players seemingly so focused on pressing the ball and restricting passing lanes, they forgot that it is also vital to be well positioned for an immediate attacking transition. With only three days of work with the full squad, it is perhaps understandable that they don’t have a complete grasp of this facet of pressing yet.

Much of their play in transition against Tottenham seemed based around solo-play. Divock Origi & Philippe Coutinho both seemed expected to create a dangerous transition on their own, a very difficult task.

But it should be acknowledged that this is something Daniel Sturridge is comfortable doing. When the ball is circulating from deep, he will often drift wide before moving back into a central zone as possession moves into midfield. Not only does this create uncertainty amongst the opposition defenders, but it also creates momentum for him to move onto the ball quickly and interplay with teammates. Origi is not quite as intelligent.

Conclusion

In this system that Klopp has created in only several days, it seems fairly clear where some of Liverpool’s key missing players could fit. Jordan Henderson is a clear fit for either Can or Milner’s role, and being part of a pendulating three in midfield would allow him to make use of his work rate to press forward. Given Can seemed less comfortable shifting across and covering for Milner pressing forward, it may be that Henderson should come in for Can rather than Milner. Henderson’s impact in the final third has vastly improved over the past two seasons, and having Milner to shift across and cover him would be a key part of maintaining stability in defensive transition.

Firmino could fit into either Lallana or Coutinho’s roles. He has a slightly different player profile to either; more comfortable running in behind, but also a creative threat and adept at pressing. Lallana had a promising game with & without the ball, but was clearly tired after forty minutes and was eventually subbed. Being able to start two of these players and bring on a third to maintain a strong press is a good position for Liverpool to be in.

There is much work still to be done for Klopp and his coaching staff, but thirty minutes of play have already given us an indication of what his Liverpool may look like.

http://13steps.co/2015/10/17/tactical-analysis-Jürgen-klopps-liverpool-vs-tottenham/
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,703 posts | 894 
      Reply #533: Oct 19, 2015 03:02:03 pm
      If anyone's got the time they should listen to this podcast.

http://anfieldindex.podbean.com/e/episode-89-gaganpressing

Gags had some pretty interesting stats that he talks about the pressing. I found it kind of mind blowing what Klopp did in just a few days and this is just the beginning.

I am on my phone, is there a way to download podcasts as mp3 or another audio file and then play it. Always wanted to give LFC podcasts a chance but never got around to it
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #534: Oct 19, 2015 03:47:41 pm
      If anyone's got the time they should listen to this podcast.

http://anfieldindex.podbean.com/e/episode-89-gaganpressing

Gags had some pretty interesting stats that he talks about the pressing. I found it kind of mind blowing what Klopp did in just a few days and this is just the beginning.

Im an Anfield Wrap listener and TAW player subscriber. Their output is always bang on and in my humble opinion the best out there.

Ive tried to listen to other podcasts but it’s not the same!!
      AmeriPool Red
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts |
      Reply #535: Oct 19, 2015 04:12:51 pm
      I am on my phone, is there a way to download podcasts as mp3 or another audio file and then play it. Always wanted to give LFC podcasts a chance but never got around to it

They have an app and the podcast is on itunes for free. The Anfield Index Podcast. Hope that helps ;)
      craventom
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 55 posts | 68 
      Reply #536: Oct 19, 2015 06:21:16 pm
      Just took part in the poll and noticed that I have at least some experience in football...  :angel:

Voted for Mignolet, shortly before Sakho for this game.

Didn´t manage to see the game until yesterday night, therefore my late comment.

Probably everything´s already been written, nevertheless I post my german point of view.

I´ve been impressed to find a lot of the Klopp system that early and for the first 30 minutes of the game. Very good pressing and much effort to run after lost balls didn´t let the Spurs develop their game plan at all.

Plus creating some good chances, especially of course the one of Origi hitting the crossbar after the corner.

The rest of the first half belonged to the Spurs, driven by the strong Eriksen but held to 0-0 after 45 minutes with some excellent reflexes of Mignolet.

Second half was a hard fight and not many chances on both sides with still much dedication and good game control of the LFC players.

On the whole, except for a slight lack of creativity and automatic mechanisms, to my mind this was a good first step and a good performance especially regarding the many injured players.

Keep it up, LFC!
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #537: Oct 19, 2015 06:48:05 pm
      Just took part in the poll and noticed that I have at least some experience in football...  :angel:

Voted for Mignolet, shortly before Sakho for this game.

Didn´t manage to see the game until yesterday night, therefore my late comment.

Probably everything´s already been written, nevertheless I post my german point of view.

I´ve been impressed to find a lot of the Klopp system that early and for the first 30 minutes of the game. Very good pressing and much effort to run after lost balls didn´t let the Spurs develop their game plan at all.

Plus creating some good chances, especially of course the one of Origi hitting the crossbar after the corner.

The rest of the first half belonged to the Spurs, driven by the strong Eriksen but held to 0-0 after 45 minutes with some excellent reflexes of Mignolet.

Second half was a hard fight and not many chances on both sides with still much dedication and good game control of the LFC players.

On the whole, except for a slight lack of creativity and automatic mechanisms, to my mind this was a good first step and a good performance especially regarding the many injured players.

Keep it up, LFC!

Good to know that someone experienced in a Klopp team recognised his methods were already being displayed. 

We do have a few players capable of pressing from the front it just hasn't always been an organised press and it's currently not that creative.  I'm sure once Hendo and Firmino are back in and up to speed the scoring opportunities will come thick and fast regardless of who the striker is. 

At this stage though, I'm just happy to see us looking organised, compact and composed.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #538: Oct 20, 2015 08:03:44 pm
      Negatives: Dull game, few chances, first game without a goal since West Ham.
      Positives: 7 Games unbeaten, the joint longest of all top flight clubs.

With three home games on the way, we have a great chance to go 10 unbeaten before facing Mourinho and co again. That would be a serious run.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #539: Oct 21, 2015 09:23:35 am
      Negatives: Dull game, few chances, first game without a goal since West Ham.
      Positives: 7 Games unbeaten, the joint longest of all top flight clubs.

With three home games on the way, we have a great chance to go 10 unbeaten before facing Mourinho and co again. That would be a serious run.

pity you cant find the same spin for Rafa's record.

Quick Reply