Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      1 (1%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      Martin Skrtel
      1 (1%)
      Mamadou Sakho
      50 (52.1%)
      Alberto Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Joe Allen
      2 (2.1%)
      Emre Can
      15 (15.6%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      Adam Lallana
      23 (24%)
      Divock Origi
      1 (1%)
      Lucas Leiva
      2 (2.1%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Christian Benteke
      1 (1%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Voting closed: Oct 26, 2015 09:29:36 pm

Liverpool 1-1 Rubin Kazan: In game and Post Match debates

Read 34029 times
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,533 posts | 1772 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Re: Liverpool 1-1 Rubin Kazan: In game and Post Match debates
      Reply #552: Oct 23, 2015 10:38:50 am
      Were we unlucky that they had a man sent off, I'm genuinely a bit confused how we were unlucky in that match to be honest. We only had the one shot which hit the post other than that we didn't look likely to scoring the winner. We are not even close to European quality(ie 4th) at the moment, Klopp and the other guys have a LOT of work to do, they really need to earn their wages as do most of the players.

Unlucky because we dominated them from start to finish, and they scored with their 1st and attack.

We have been unlucky (also bad defending) but we seem to be getting punished for every defensive error.

Once that stops we will win a few games 1 or 2 nil, that will start the confidence to rise, and then we might start to smash a few teams.

All good.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3953 
      Reply #553: Oct 23, 2015 10:45:20 am
      Unlucky because we dominated them from start to finish, and they scored with their 1st and attack.

We have been unlucky (also bad defending) but we seem to be getting punished for every defensive error.

Once that stops we will win a few games 1 or 2 nil, that will start the confidence to rise, and then we might start to smash a few teams.

All good.

Got soft sh*te there on blank and it was never clearer why than that reply right there.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #554: Oct 23, 2015 11:06:11 am
      Pretty typical European games against dogged opposition.

We lacked any kind of control in the first half, but Lucas gave us that in the 2nd, and we looked more dangerous because of it.
      I think the lesson there is that Allen and Can don't work as a pairing or as 2 of a 3 in the middle.

Sakho is a beast and my motm.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,500 posts | 1492 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #555: Oct 23, 2015 11:10:36 am
      I was more disappointed with the atmosphere at the ground - I pretty much expected a below par performance (albeit not as below par as that).

My son said it's because there are no locals there but I question that.

Anfield has about a 45,450 capacity. Let's say 2,000 were away supporters (much lower but let's go with 2,000). Let's say there were 23,450 non locals there (what folk call day trippers). That leaves 20,000 local and passionate vocal support. More than enough to really shake the place up.

Thing is, at times it was so quiet I couldn't help but think Klopp must have been underwhelmed.

I hope we take the roof of against Southampton
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #556: Oct 23, 2015 11:26:13 am
      I was more disappointed with the atmosphere at the ground - I pretty much expected a below par performance (albeit not as below par as that).

Anfield has about a 45,450 capacity. Let's say 2,000 were away supporters (much lower but let's go with 2,000). Let's say there were 23,450 non locals there (what folk call day trippers). That leaves 20,000 local and passionate vocal support. More than enough to really shake the place up.

Thing is, at times it was so quiet I couldn't help but think Klopp must have been underwhelmed.

It sounded really loud when we had periods of sustained attacking, but it was like a switch had been thrown to turn off the crowd when attacks came to nothing.
      Course I was watching on TV, so it's hard to judge, but that's how it sounded to me.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #557: Oct 23, 2015 11:27:23 am

Rubin Kazan had 20 supporters there mate.
      beardo number 7
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 343 posts | 96 
      Reply #558: Oct 23, 2015 11:27:49 am
      Pretty typical European games against dogged opposition.

We lacked any kind of control in the first half, but Lucas gave us that in the 2nd, and we looked more dangerous because of it.
      I think the lesson there is that Allen and Can don't work as a pairing or as 2 of a 3 in the middle.

Sakho is a beast and my motm.

Joe Allen doesnt work as anything IMHO? Never a liverpool type player,never will be.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,533 posts | 1772 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #559: Oct 23, 2015 12:00:15 pm

was gonna say that, commentator's big a big thing about that. ;D
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,500 posts | 1492 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #560: Oct 23, 2015 12:08:04 pm
      There you go. I thought it was but went with a nice round 2,000

Like Swab said, it was loud at certain times but it almost instantly went quiet when our attacks came to nothing.

It works both ways though, I guess. You need the crowd behind you, but the crowd also need something to get behind.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #561: Oct 23, 2015 01:47:20 pm

Yep I don't think Jürgen will have been blown away by the noise having come from Dortmund. As the OOTer argument, I know myself from travelling to Champions League games that you either have to stay over in Liverpool or you have to drive and get back in the very early hours if you live down south. There are no trains (or at least there didn't use to be). That makes it difficult/expensive/a pain in the @rse so although quite a few do make the journey, I'd be very surprised if the attendance wasn't mostly made up of people who live significantly closer than London at the very least. 

marska43
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts | 14 
      Reply #562: Oct 23, 2015 01:49:26 pm
      All that last night did for me was to confirm how average of quality and invention we have in our squad, and how much work Klopp has to do to turn us into where we all want to be. Barring Sturridge being on the pitch, we basically had our strongest team on the field for the majority of the game. Our defense can't change, as they are the four strongest we have available. But midfield is where I find myself constantly disappointed. Several players need to questioned:
      -Lallana (who I rate), showed his quality, and of course energy, but sooner or later that has to turn into goals, whether it be scoring himself or creating for another. The quality often led to tame chances on goals.
      -Couts: In a drought IMO. We've all seen his quality, but he needs to be there  95% of the time, not 65%. His touches and vital passing let him down, and if he doesn't have that, what does he have exactly?
      -Milner: Love his work, love his tackles (although I feel an inevitable sending off is in the future), but his crossing is poor, and doesn't really show a creative threat to a disciplined defense.
      -Can: This is the biggest question mark for me. Where does he fit in? Not as good as Lucas as a DM, too slow and tires too quickly for a box-to-box, and besides a long strike, offers no goal threat or penetrating threat whatsoever. He's a wild card for: will either not make it, or will become one of our best.
      -Allen: I originally thought he would fit in well nicely: energy, pressing, and retaining possession. It does not appear so though, will he get other chances?
      -Lucas: No complaints. Is what he is, a solid DM who can always pick his forward pass.
      -Hendo: I know he didn't play, but where does he fit in, once fit? Does he slide in for Can? Lallana? Do we re-shape?

I'm very excited to see where Klopp goes from here. He seems, in the end, like a no nonsense kind of man, so hopefully he can whip guys into the right state of mind and play.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #563: Oct 23, 2015 01:51:54 pm
      There you go. I thought it was but went with a nice round 2,000

Like Swab said, it was loud at certain times but it almost instantly went quiet when our attacks came to nothing.

It works both ways though, I guess. You need the crowd behind you, but the crowd also need something to get behind.

the reason the crowd went quiet is because they know football and know when an attack is doomed from the start. When you have Origi up front with a misfiring Couthino its best not to get your hopes up
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #564: Oct 23, 2015 02:15:54 pm
      Barring Sturridge being on the pitch, we basically had our strongest team on the field for the majority of the game.

Have another think about things.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #565: Oct 23, 2015 07:04:45 pm
      We played like a team who has struggled to score concedes easy goals and has won 1 game in 11 or so.
      Somebody soon is going to take a hiding.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,191 posts | 1274 
      Reply #566: Oct 23, 2015 08:09:29 pm
      One reporter said whether it is tiki-taka, gegenpressing or Big Sam's Route One tactics, it just won't succeed if a team doesn't have a goalscorer.

Origi looked F***ing woeful last night. Carries on much longer and he will prove to be another major indictment on the transfer committee.

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #567: Oct 23, 2015 09:52:08 pm
      One reporter said whether it is tiki-taka, gegenpressing or Big Sam's Route One tactics, it just won't succeed if a team doesn't have a goalscorer.

Origi looked f**king woeful last night. Carries on much longer and he will prove to be another major indictment on the transfer committee.

A typical El Hadji Diouf/Salif Diao signing, bought on the back of a couple of decent WC games.

redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #568: Oct 23, 2015 11:57:16 pm
      A typical El Hadji Diouf/Salif Diao signing, bought on the back of a couple of decent WC games.

Origi showed more effort in his little finger last night than those two ever did in their whole careers at LFC. I can understand your prediction, but I think it's a bit premature seeing as the lad has only played two games proper, on his own up front for us. He showed he's got a lot to learn last night in terms of leading the line on his own, but training with Sturridge will give him some much needed guidance. In terms of commitment to the team and effort, he didn't let us down.

In terms of the match. It's been an interesting thread to read, this one.

My view of the game was definitely one of two halves. First half was pretty much very Rodgers era. Second half was more of a taste of the change we need.

The first half involved a lot of tense, nervous play. Easy balls played and more than a few touches of the ball. Some mistakes - one that definitely cost us.

Let's not forget that playing a team like that, really can frustrate. Imagine you don't get that much attention in the football world, you've been doing sh*t in your league and now you are coming to play at the famous Anfield stadium. Infamous in the football world of one of the most difficult places to play football and the crowd will crucify you..

You're going to try your best to prove everyone wrong. This isn't the first time that European 'unfamiliar's' have frustrated the reds at Anfield.

Second half we were much, much more back on track to where we should be heading. I was especially pleased to see Benteke come on and not have Origi come off. In the past, Origi would have been subbed for another striker. I thought that was a much needed change and it was a show from the manager to say "eeyah mate, here's some support". Imagine how much of a confidence boost that is to Origi - a lad who has had to lead the line for LFC in the last two games. A young lad who runs his socks off for you. But gets criticism because he's not the finished article.

Lucas, again, bossed the game in the second half. I've never seen Lucas play so high up the pitch since the Rafa days.

As a collective, I thought we really put the pressure on in the second half. Kazan done some good defending. But we really stepped the pace up with a different energy that we haven't been used to under Rodgers.

Not a great European night at Anfield. But it's a turning point in our current European nightmare that we've had to endure for a long time.

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #569: Oct 24, 2015 12:17:03 am
      Origi showed more effort in his little finger last night than those two ever did in their whole careers at LFC. I can understand your prediction, but I think it's a bit premature seeing as the lad has only played two games proper, on his own up front for us. He showed he's got a lot to learn last night in terms of leading the line on his own, but training with Sturridge will give him some much needed guidance. In terms of commitment to the team and effort, he didn't let us down.

In terms of the match. It's been an interesting thread to read, this one.

My view of the game was definitely one of two halves. First half was pretty much very Rodgers era. Second half was more of a taste of the change we need.

The first half involved a lot of tense, nervous play. Easy balls played and more than a few touches of the ball. Some mistakes - one that definitely cost us.

Let's not forget that playing a team like that, really can frustrate. Imagine you don't get that much attention in the football world, you've been doing sh*t in your league and now you are coming to play at the famous Anfield stadium. Infamous in the football world of one of the most difficult places to play football and the crowd will crucify you..

You're going to try your best to prove everyone wrong. This isn't the first time that European 'unfamiliar's' have frustrated the reds at Anfield.

Second half we were much, much more back on track to where we should be heading. I was especially pleased to see Benteke come on and not have Origi come off. In the past, Origi would have been subbed for another striker. I thought that was a much needed change and it was a show from the manager to say "eeyah mate, here's some support". Imagine how much of a confidence boost that is to Origi - a lad who has to lead the line for LFC in the last two games. A young lad who runs his socks of for you. But gets criticism because he's not the finished article.

Lucas, again, bossed the game in the second half. I've never seen Lucas play so high up the pitch since the Rafa days.

As a collective, I thought we really put the pressure on in the second half. Kazan done some good defending. But we really stepped the pace up with a different energy that we haven't been used to under Rodgers.

Not a great European night at Anfield. But it's a turning point in our current European nightmare that we've had to endure for a long time.

Good post. Fair enough.

I don't necessarily agree with it all. Whether the lad leads the line for the first time or not, you still can gauge what he's like as a footballer IMO. Personally, I think he looks hopeless. His touch, awareness, instinct and the ability to use his frame meaningfully look non-existent. You can factor in all the lack of experience, pressure and what not to his game, but if the lad had the ability needed it would still be there to see. He doesn't have it IMO. Harsh, I know but I don't think he'll make it; same way as I don't think Markovic who also exhibits a distinct lack of ability. I know a lot of people rate/hype Markovic on here but he hasn't shown the product to warrant such hype IMO.

I have to admit (and I'm not criticizing Klopp here let me make that clear), that I haven't seen much difference since Rodgers departed. I could have watched that match and presumed Rodgers was still in the dugout. Yes, our work rate has upped but I would expect that under any honeymoon period where a renowned manager comes in.

I think Klopp has been dealt a very rough hand, he joins without a pre-season and with an injury list as long as your arm. The point is, squad players have come in and even the likes of Coutinho and Lallana still flatter to deceive. I can only conclude that not only are some of these players inconsistent, but some of them are just not up to task - like Origi.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #570: Oct 24, 2015 12:26:04 am
      Good post. Fair enough.

I don't necessarily agree with it all. Whether the lad leads the line for the first time or not, you still can gauge what he's like as a footballer IMO. Personally, I think he looks hopeless. His touch, awareness, instinct and the ability to use his frame meaningfully look non-existent. You can factor in all the lack of experience, pressure and what not to his game, but if the lad had the ability needed it would still be there to see. He doesn't have it IMO. Harsh, I know but I don't think he'll make it; same way as I don't think Markovic who also exhibits a distinct lack of ability. I know a lot of people rate/hype Markovic on here but he hasn't shown the product to warrant such hype IMO.

I have to admit (and I'm not criticizing Klopp here let me make that clear), that I haven't seen much difference since Rodgers departed. I could have watched that match and presumed Rodgers was still in the dugout. Yes, our work rate has upped but I would expect that under any honeymoon period where a renowned manager comes in.

I think Klopp has been dealt a very rough hand, he joins without a pre-season and with an injury list as long as your arm. The point is, squad players have come in and even the likes of Coutinho and Lallana still flatter to deceive. I can only conclude that not only are some of these players inconsistent, but some of them are just not up to task - like Origi.

Why don't you just stick to the current affairs thread as you never have anything positive to say in the football thread esp since Rodgers left.

Get over it Rodgers is not coming back and it will take time to undo the damage.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #571: Oct 24, 2015 12:30:37 am
      For all those having doubts this applies to the fans.

Quote from: Jürgen Klopp
      “The question for you (the media) is ‘will you give these young players the time to develop’. Why? I’ll give them the time, I’ve got no problems with this but you have to decide if you want to help.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #572: Oct 24, 2015 12:43:49 am
      Good post. Fair enough.

You sound exactly like my auld fella and he's got a beerbelly.

I know what you mean about the instinctive aspect. That was clear to see in this game. We really don't have that many instinctive players. If any..
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #573: Oct 24, 2015 12:57:01 am
      For all those having doubts this applies to the fans.

Quote from: Jürgen Klopp
      “The question for you (the media) is ‘will you give these young players the time to develop’. Why? I’ll give them the time, I’ve got no problems with this but you have to decide if you want to help.

;D Class!

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #574: Oct 24, 2015 08:54:30 am
      Why don't you just stick to the current affairs thread as you never have anything positive to say in the football thread esp since Rodgers left.

Get over it Rodgers is not coming back and it will take time to undo the damage.

Ah, Mr Sheep. Put a sock in it eh, there's a good girl.

Quick Reply