Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Liverpool 1:1 Southampton. In game & post match debate.

Read 34310 times
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: Liverpool 1:1 Southampton. In game & post match debate.
      Reply #552: Oct 27, 2015 08:23:56 pm
      Harsh on Rodgers? Only if you believe he had no say in buying players like Lallana, Lovren, Allen and I would include Milner.

Sadly we don't seem to have really got our £300millionsworth up to now.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #553: Oct 27, 2015 08:28:05 pm
      Harsh on Rodgers? Only if you believe he had no say in buying players like Lallana, Lovren, Allen and I would include Milner.

Adding to this, third season in and we had no identity and structure with the 4th season looking the same old sh*t. Remind me again, what was our game plan under Rodgers? Then you hear stories of Rodgers' inspirational team talks and wives and girlfriends being allowed in Melwood during training sessions or some sh*t? Mediocre beyond belief, glad he was sacked.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #554: Oct 27, 2015 08:36:00 pm
      I think it's clear that some of the recruitment left a lot to be desired, and obviously the previous manager was culpable. So were our policies visa vid wages and age of players though, and it remains to be seen whether or not we've learned our lesson as a club (and indeed as fans, let's make sure we hold the owners to account now we finally have a manager who surely nobody could dispute is absolutely top drawer).

What I meant though by perhaps "harsh" is the criticism the manager received despite us in many cases having absolutely nobody credible who was fit enough to play up top. That isn't easy regardless of who the manager is, even when he's a brilliant one such as Jürgen undoubtedly is.

I think that has been part of the problem mate. Some people seem to have expected Klopp to come in wave his magic wand and suddenly those average players become world beaters. I think we will see improvement in many of those players over time, others may either become squad fillers or moved on.

As Klopp said today sometimes you have to take a step back before you can move forward (or words to that effect)     
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #555: Oct 27, 2015 08:41:27 pm
      I think people are getting the wrong end of the stick here (or more likely I'm not explaining very well). I'm simply trying to understand why people are seemingly falling out over Klopp. To be totally honest, whether or not people feel they were realistic over their treatment of the previous manager matters to me not a jot. The main thing is we ALL get behind the current manager, and one thing I think we all CAN agree on is that he ain't got an easy job with the players who are currently available to him.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #556: Oct 27, 2015 08:47:21 pm
      I think it's clear that some of the recruitment left a lot to be desired, and obviously the previous manager was culpable. So were our policies visa vid wages and age of players though, and it remains to be seen whether or not we've learned our lesson as a club (and indeed as fans, let's make sure we hold the owners to account now we finally have a manager who surely nobody could dispute is absolutely top drawer).

What I meant though by perhaps "harsh" is the criticism the manager received despite us in many cases having absolutely nobody credible who was fit enough to play up top. That isn't easy regardless of who the manager is, even when he's a brilliant one such as Jürgen undoubtedly is.

Your point might be a stronger if Brendan didn't indeed have Sterling, Lambert, Balotelli, Sturridge, Borini, Benteke, Ings or Firmino in his time here. Jürgen's had none of them fit enough to play more than 45 minutes, that's not to mention that he didn't indeed buy any of them. Granted not all at the same time but Brendan had many more options than Jürgen has been afforded. As poorly as some people judge the above, and rightly so, none of them compare to how poor Origi is, it was highlighted that the lad's goal scoring record is something like a goal in every 10 games and I can see exactly why, he's shocking.

Even withstanding that we've put in performances against Spurs and Southampton where in my opinion we were definitely the better side. Spurs and Southampton didn't have many chances at all limiting them both to 3 or 4 shots on target and even that is pushing it in terms of 'shot' when one of those amounted to little more than a backpass. We've covered the most distance of any premier league team, our pressing has been marked in improvement as has our commitment to challenges, you can see the number of people willing to get stuck in with the right attitude of aggression plus determination. It's again a marked difference in the side that people were struggling to name a captain for the club before now both Sakho and Lucas are looking viable candidates.

The changes are clear, all that is needed is a bit of patience, I see no reason to try to force a divide again in those that see progress and those that don't based upon previous differences, that to me seems extremely petty and misguided.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #557: Oct 27, 2015 08:47:28 pm
      I think people are getting the wrong end of the stick here (or more likely I'm not explaining very well). I'm simply trying to understand why people are seemingly falling out over Klopp. To be totally honest, whether or not people feel they were realistic over their treatment of the previous manager matters to me not a jot. The main thing is we ALL get behind the current manager, and one thing I think we all CAN agree on is that he ain't got an easy job with the players who are currently available to him.

I don't think anyone is falling out over Klopp. Everyone seems to be falling out over whether we have actually made the progress some see or not.

I'm in the middle so I can fall out with both sides :)
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #558: Oct 27, 2015 08:54:30 pm
      ;D at S@int. I think as I say we've improved without the ball, I'd go as far as saying I think it's pretty obvious too. With the ball we've been stilted, but if Jürgen is able to play with a proper striker (Benteke is doing fine IMHO) I think we'll see improvement there too pretty quick.

I love the manager and think he's doing well. Also, I'm GLAD we sacked Brendan and brought Jürgen in.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #559: Oct 28, 2015 08:36:27 am
      Quote from Swab
      Call me paranoid, but he only seems to have an issue with foreign managers.
      First Rafa, now he's starting in early on Klopp.

You passed the paranoid test alright. Why would I be against foreigners at this club when I'm a foreigner myself?  ???

I'm not criticising him either. I'm criticising the posters who told me/us that getting rid of Rodgers now, would instantly sort us out. But it hasn't, and because it hasn't, we're now told that running around a bit and a few entertaining press conferences constitutes "improvement". Without the ball going in the net and 3 points on the board, (especially at home) its all but useless.

So far, we're getting the same results Brendan was getting (arguably worse as we got a double over Spurs and Southampton last year) without the booing and anarchy after every game. He must be looking at those results now and wondering wtf was he fired for. For the man who was apparently going to bring the good times back at a flick of a switch, we really should be expecting more progress than the ability to run around a bit. This is LFC after all.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,649 posts | 6945 
      Reply #560: Oct 28, 2015 08:55:54 am
      Crowd tried their best but the players didn't respond.

Crowd didn't do anything.  Atmosphere was fairly dismal.  Heard the Kop maybe three times including YNWA from the Anfield Road end up to our first goal.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #561: Oct 28, 2015 08:57:37 am
      You passed the paranoid test alright. Why would I be against foreigners at this club when I'm a foreigner myself?  ???

I'm not criticising him either. I'm criticising the posters who told me/us that getting rid of Rodgers now, would instantly sort us out. But it hasn't, and because it hasn't, we're now told that running around a bit and a few entertaining press conferences constitutes "improvement". Without the ball going in the net and 3 points on the board, (especially at home) its all but useless.

So far, we're getting the same results Brendan was getting (arguably worse as we got a double over Spurs and Southampton last year) without the booing and anarchy after every game. He must be looking at those results now and wondering wtf was he fired for. For the man who was apparently going to bring the good times back at a flick of a switch, we really should be expecting more progress than the ability to run around a bit. This is LFC after all.

After reading your post I think you are Brendan Rodgers posing as lfc across the water or visa versa.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #562: Oct 28, 2015 09:39:40 am
      People can discuss what they want within the forum rules mate, it's the snide backhanded comments aimed towards those with differing opinions rather than the discussion itself that got my goat.

Anyway I've got my perfectly fitting cap to go with my perfectly positive bubble now so it's all good  :gt-happyup:

No snide backhanded comments. Upfront comments that are generally speaking.

Make sure that cap doesn't run your blue rinse.  :-*
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #563: Oct 28, 2015 10:05:15 am
      I'm criticising the posters who told me/us that getting rid of Rodgers now, would instantly sort us out.

I haven't seen anyone post this at all, not even federer or GeorgeRed, so who are these posters that said Klopp would instantly fix us?

Btw, what 5 managers and players do you rate, I am just curious :)
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #564: Oct 28, 2015 10:14:30 am
      If we could give BR 3 years and did nothing to win us anything, can't we give at least 3-months to Juergen and see how far we have improved? Certainly not 3 weeks and expects miracles while we have a very average squad.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #565: Oct 28, 2015 10:21:09 am
      If we could give BR 3 years and did nothing to win us anything, can't we give at least 3-months to Juergen and see how far we have improved? Certainly not 3 weeks and expects miracles while we have a very average squad.

I don't think anyone is under the illusion that Klopp will produce instant miracles - not now at least.

He will get the time and patience afforded by the majority, myself included.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #566: Oct 28, 2015 10:47:50 am
      I don't think anyone is under the illusion that Klopp will produce instant miracles - not now at least.

He will get the time and patience afforded by the majority, myself included.

Yeaa .. patience is very much needed from everyone at this moment of time. I'm sure Juergen will get it right eventually. Towards the halfway mark of this season, I'm sure Juergen would already have made up his mind who is in and who is out and who are those for the future and who to buy for reinforcements. In all fairness to the existing players I'm sure the manager will give them enough games to prove themselves and to see for himself their performance before he make his decisions. So, we can expect hiccups here and there from now till the end of the season.

As long as we remain competitive in every game, gets as far as possible in the cups and near to top 4, I'd be happy enough already. However, finishing inside the top 4 will be a big big bonus.
      « Last Edit: Oct 28, 2015 12:19:26 pm by redkop63 »
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #567: Oct 28, 2015 12:31:36 pm
      Yeaa .. patience is very much needed from everyone at this moment of time. I'm sure Juergen will get it right eventually. Towards the halfway mark of this season, I'm sure Juergen would already have made up his mind who is in and who is out and who are those for the future and who to buy for reinforcements. In all fairness to the existing players I'm sure the manager will give them enough games to prove themselves and to see for himself their performance before he make his decisions. So, we can expect hiccups here and there from now till the end of the season.

As long as we remain competitive in every game, gets as far as possible in the cups and near to top 4, I'd be happy enough already. However, finishing inside the top 4 will be a big big bonus.

I personally think that getting inside the top 4 with Ings, Gomez, Henderson and Sturridge all long term injured along with Benteke and Firmino having problems would be bordering on a miracle.

Quick Reply