Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Liverpool 1:1 Southampton. In game & post match debate.

Read 34060 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Liverpool 1:1 Southampton. In game & post match debate.
      Reply #483: Oct 26, 2015 03:23:03 pm
      Glad the results have gone the way they have and the performances. It's brought a dose of reality to anyone who thought Klopps arrival would be just like a magic wand making everything instantly right.

We're dire.

Haven't been able to deal with crosses properly since the days of Houllier at best early days of Rafa. Our ball retention is terrible. As is our ability to get in behind teams through the middle.

Feel for young Origi playing the lone role though long term it might make him. Coutinho needs a bit of bench time for me until he gets his interest sorted.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #484: Oct 26, 2015 05:02:22 pm
      Can I ask, what signs are these?Klopp admitted himself that our play has been slow. Far too slow in fact.We've conceded two goals in his three games actually both of which were poor defensive errors so I'm not sure where the 'huge improvement' has come from? Two of those games you would expect us to be coming away with three points quite comfortably.A point at Spurs is the only decent result Klopp has got so far. That's not being critical of him, he has been here five minutes and he has a big job on his hands, but I'm not going to lie like everybody else on here either and say we've been brilliant under him and there has been massive improvement - because there hasn't. Yet.

Yea sure, first of all, the attitude of the players. Honestly, in the last 6 or 7 games under BR, the players' body langauge was nothing short of lethargic and defeatist. We're now pressing higher, working harder and closing down more then before. That to me is the biggest difference so far, the  player hunger looks to be coming back. Nowhere near what it should be, but it's a sign of the positivity from the manager.

The other big improvement I've seen is the organisation in defence. It's been much better, and as you pointed out, the goals were down to individual errors. Previously, the golas were down to individual errors AND just shocking organisation. But we do  look like a bit more of a solid unit at the back already. The individual errors are still than hangover of lack of confidence and fear from BR's last months, so hopefully that will disappear over time.

Clearly we're not anywhere near good enough yet, but judging Klopp specifically mentioned defence, and fear in the team, it looks like he's targeting those two areas first...and the signs are that it's working. It has only been two weeks afterall, and I didn't expect us to be banging goals in so soon, we need to be very patient. I am an optimist, so may be I'm missing crucial things, but initial signs are promising.
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #485: Oct 26, 2015 05:57:39 pm
      He cost 30m, he's in the Brazil team and he is in his mid 20's. He's not some kid.

Markovic got absolutely slaughtered on here last season.

Plus I haven't even said anything bad, I'm not even criticising him  :lmao:, just saying he hasn't done anything just yet  :lmao:. You and Mingle need to calm down.

Done nothing YET really in a red shirt ... what's not to agree with there. Nobody saying he won't, but like you say he's a big money signing, an International, an imo he's still not up to speed with the pace of the PL, and needs to do a lot more if he's to nail down a starting place and not be one of the players on the boat out when Klopp's deciding who's surplus to requirements.
      Don't think Markovic did anywhere close to enough last season, BUT would not have sent him out on loan given we were losing SG and Sterling from cross the middle. Stupid decision.

Tbh with injuries and the way the team is playing, imo it's hard to listen to excuses on behalf of players not making enough of an impact.   Martial at Utd is just 19, came in for a big fee, big club, big pressure, and has produced. Plenty of players come in and can make real contribution straight away, you need not just the ability, you need the mentality to be up to playing for a big club. Don't think massive amount would have been expected from Ings, but he worked hard and he's a big loss.
      The chips are down right now, will see which players stand up. We've a new manager, clean slate ... time for guys to put up or shut up...
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #486: Oct 26, 2015 07:07:51 pm
      Quote from Brian78
      Glad the results have gone the way they have and the performances. It's brought a dose of reality to anyone who thought Klopps arrival would be just like a magic wand making everything instantly right.

The "anyone" was a massive amount of people.

We're 9 games unbeaten now, and on course to go 10 going to face Chelsea.

That apart, I'm finding it hard to find positives. If that was Brendan in charge, creating 3 chances at home to Southampton and only getting a point, the team would have been booed out of Anfield, and every poster here would have called for him to get fired. Well he was, but the point is ultimately the same use from this game as it was against Norwich.

Ideally the idea was to win these games at home and take points away at the stronger sides. We haven't lost much ground lately, but we need to start winning games soon. Klopp is here to get better results out of these players than Brendan could. I'm still waiting. 
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #487: Oct 26, 2015 07:14:08 pm
      If that was Brendan in charge, creating 3 chances at home to Southampton and only getting a point, the team would have been booed out of Anfield, and every poster here would have called for him to get fired.

True.  Difference is Brendan bought them all.

Haven't been able to deal with crosses properly since the days of Houllier at best early days of Rafa.

Brian only my opinion but I actually think we've already started to look better at defending corners etc.

Even Lallana came out and powered one away from the near post yesterday.

Ultimately if you have a keeper too scared to step out of their 6 yard box then the odd goal like Southamptons yesterday are going to happen.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #488: Oct 26, 2015 07:15:35 pm

That apart, I'm finding it hard to find positives. If that was Brendan in charge, creating 3 chances at home to Southampton and only getting a point, the team would have been booed out of Anfield, and every poster here would have called for him to get fired. Well he was, but the point is ultimately the same use from this game as it was against Norwich.

Ideally the idea was to win these games at home and take points away at the stronger sides. We haven't lost much ground lately, but we need to start winning games soon. Klopp is here to get better results out of these players than Brendan could. I'm still waiting. 

Yeah I mean what is Klopp playing at he has had access to the players for over a over a week now so why are we not blowing teams away 5-0.

Most intelligent fans my arse.................... .!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #489: Oct 26, 2015 07:17:24 pm

And worked with them for a wee bit longer than a four of weeks.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #490: Oct 26, 2015 07:57:11 pm
      He had poor games under Rodgers too. He has half a dozen poor games and now he's not good enough for us? Seriously?
      Ref ; Couthino
      You say not good enough for us... maybe he's not good enough for the new manager?
      i'm not saying he's become Jurgens fall guy but unlike a lot of the others he hasn't shown any extra effort in his overall game since Klopp arrived.

He is now playing an identical role as Lallana on the opposite side and i don't think the two of them together work..imo
      Couthino was always the man we got the ball too and let him turn and create and shoot, now he's just a cog in the midfield wheel dribbling, or trying to dribble around and around.. and Lallana is doing exactly the same thing on the right.. admittedly Lallana has shown better skill and at least got to the byline more but it's still very narrow going forward and easy to suss out as a defence..
      Maybe a fit Henderson will make that difference to his game, I hope so.. He's a cracking little player..

For once in while, I am looking forward to the blitzkrieg battle at the bridge next week..be interesting to see whether Maureen is allowed in the ground the way things are going...ha !

Compuche
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 547 posts | 39 
      Reply #491: Oct 27, 2015 07:30:17 am
      True talk

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #492: Oct 27, 2015 07:41:53 am

You need to get used to the fact that Rodgers has gone and will not manage LFC again, he had his chance and blew it.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #493: Oct 27, 2015 08:58:47 am
      Quote from HScRed1
      I mean what is Klopp playing at he has had access to the players for over a week now so why are we not blowing teams away 5-0.

Blowing teams away 1-0 would be a start. Where is the new coach bounce that teams get? A home draw against Southampton?

And as for the "improved defending", it's one clean sheet in three games, not exactly revolutionary.

They may be Brendan's players, but this was the man widely expected to instantly sort them all out and have us shooting up the league, as the "good times were back". Well we're scrambling around looking for positives from an insipid performance and crap result at home to Southampton instead.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #494: Oct 27, 2015 09:06:28 am
      Blowing teams away 1-0 would be a start. Where is the new coach bounce that teams get? A home draw against Southampton?

And as for the "improved defending", it's one clean sheet in three games, not exactly revolutionary.

They may be Brendan's players, but this was the man widely expected to instantly sort them all out and have us shooting up the league, as the "good times were back". Well we're scrambling around looking for positives from an insipid performance and crap result at home to Southampton instead.

I think you are being a bit disrespectful to Southampton who I believe are the strongest they have ever been this season. They will be top 6 this season. A draw wasn't the worst result. It wasn't an insipid performance either we just lacked quality up front the first half and in midfield the second half. Cou playing so poorly didn't help matters. But we look a damn sight more organised under Klopp than we ever were under Rodgers. And that's after only 2 weeks.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #495: Oct 27, 2015 10:46:27 am
      Klopp is here to get better results out of these players than Brendan could. I'm still waiting.
        :lmao: :lmao:
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #496: Oct 27, 2015 11:35:34 am
      Did he JD?

I thought he only bought the flops; the committee bought the rest. Or is it the other way 'round?  :laugh:

Who knows? Certainly no one on here.

Still it's all good now because, irrespective of who we currently like to blame for the signings, Jürgen will be given time to 'polish the turd' and that's a good thing.

"Good" because fans, (who only a few short weeks ago, were expecting a manager, they didn't rate, to mould this squad, injuries and all, into a quality outfit), are now expecting and demanding less, from a manager they do rate. To me that shows growth and an understanding which was previously missing.

"Good" for FSG because it will buy them more time. because 'we' all know 'Rome wasn't built in a day'.

And worked with them for a wee bit longer than a four of weeks.

Indeed Si... although the scary thing for me (and yes, I know you don't agree) is that; it's possible Brendan Rodgers may well have got as much as anyone could from this squad -  barring injuries, of course. Although we shouldn't overlook the fact that Jürgen [or Dortmund's sporting director, if you prefer] wanted to sign Benteke and had links with Firmino and Origi so that gives added hope.

Players returning from injury will undoubtedly help Jürgen and I honestly believe results will come but if we really want improvement; if we genuinely want to challenge... we need to pay the going rate for proven higher quality players.
      « Last Edit: Oct 27, 2015 11:51:17 am by bad boy bubby »
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #497: Oct 27, 2015 11:38:58 am

2 clean sheets. Didn't we get one against Spurs...
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #498: Oct 27, 2015 11:53:39 am
      2 clean sheets. Didn't we get one against Spurs...

Yeah we did.

What's the other one you're talking about?
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #499: Oct 27, 2015 11:58:49 am
      Nobody is criticising Klopp, I'm certainly not, but there are dozens of posters saying how much we've improved in the short space Klopp has been our manager and that is just bollocks. We've looked equally as poor in klopp a 3 games as we did a few weeks back when Brendan was manager.

Apart from the first thirty mins against Spurs where we were chasing the ball around like headless chickens, there has been no difference to our play.

Still look awful going forward and still look suspect at the back.

I didn't expect Klopp to come in and all of a sudden we challenge for the title but I haven't got my tinted glasses on either saying how super we are or how much we've improved because that it just a lie.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #500: Oct 27, 2015 12:00:12 pm
      Yeah we did.

What's the other one you're talking about?

;D

Nobody is criticising Klopp, I'm certainly not, but there are dozens of posters saying how much we've improved in the short space Klopp has been our manager and that is just bollocks. We've looked equally as poor in klopp a 3 games as we did a few weeks back when Brendan was manager.
      You know what HTM - that's a very fair comment; even if it does make people feel uncomfortable.

Like you, I'm not criticising Jürgen because I fully understand that he, just like Rodgers, has to (IMO) work with what he's got - which ain't great, if we're being honest. That said: a fully fit Sturridge, Benteke, Firmino and Henderson will undoubtedly see an upturn in fortune.  8)
      viniciusgama1
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 589 posts | 11 
      Reply #501: Oct 27, 2015 12:15:48 pm
      This discussion should be over right after JD's comment. He is right. Klopp didn't bring any of these players, he just got a team that is poor in every aspect of the game, that can't defend and can't score. It will take time to fix and I hope that FSG is willing to spend some money by winter, because we should, at least, buy some CB.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #502: Oct 27, 2015 12:16:19 pm
      Apart from the first thirty mins against Spurs where we were chasing the ball around like headless chickens, there has been no difference to our play.

I'd agree we aren't massively improved already, but if you can't see the increased counter press when we lose the ball during a transition Im not sure you're watching properly! This has gone on in all 3 games, and I'm sure its one of the few things Klopp has worked on in training.

As the man said himself, you can't change too much too quickly! I'd have hoped for a win, if only to get the confidence of the players up, but its clear they are still nervous in situations and don't make good decisions. The coach can help that by creating the right positive environment, but its down to the players in the end, and Klopp has no magic wand to make them forget the past year or so.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #503: Oct 27, 2015 12:23:50 pm
      Are people actually starting to suggest Klopp is not cutting the mustard?

Jaysus!
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #504: Oct 27, 2015 12:23:59 pm
      If people can't see the improvement they really need to have a look at themselves.

Previously we would have crumbled playing Spurs and Saints and lost the games.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #505: Oct 27, 2015 12:28:34 pm
      Why hasnt he wrapped up the league yet?
      Why isnt Jessica Alba my misses?
      Why isnt life a fantasy?

Wake up lads.... Tis real life and this aint gonna be an easy transition. But transit----ion we will!

Get on board or go feck off. Cant be having this negativity again!

Quick Reply